Can a war be noble?

Can a war be noble?

• yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TotallyHuman

Well, for tourists, maybe this is a good place. Just be careful of the airport taxis asking for exorbitant fares at the airport. And scammers targeting unsupecting foreigners (they'd act as if you can trust them and then strike) for their money. Oh and government crocodil--I mean, officials spotting vulnerable tourists and extorting them for money.

But if you'll reside here? Nah.
I'd never change my capitalist hellhole for another <3

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
Please don't. It's good for you, and the rest of the sane (and insane) world.
I second this.

My boyfriend used to have a boyfriend who lived there. He was gay, and was constantly abused by his family and bullied by his neighbors to the point he developed ptsd. He became distrustful of everyone and was always on the look out. He even thought his neighbors were hacking his acc and pc and shit.

D

Deleted member 54065

I second this.

My boyfriend used to have a boyfriend who lived there. He was gay, and was constantly abused by his family and bullied by his neighbors to the point he developed ptsd. He became distrustful of everyone and was always on the look out. He even thought his neighbors were hacking his acc and pc and shit.
Yeah, LGBTs are yet to receive equal treatment here. Our society tolerates them, however, they were usually relagated to laughingstock roles, and worst, bullied.

I've lost count of the times I admonished my classes for laughing at their gay classmates.

SailusGebel

Yeah, LGBTs are yet to receive equal treatment here. Our society tolerates them, however, they were usually relagated to laughingstock roles, and worst, bullied.

I've lost count of the times I admonished my classes for laughing at their gay classmates.
:blob_hmm:

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
4A6168C7-4029-4A00-9A7A-9A34F20F14C0.png

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
you must be talking about the badly disguised russian plants and their pliant shills of the "DPR" and "LNR". you know, the ones who started the initial conflict with their "coups" that were nothing more than badly disguised and barely deniable small scale invasions. please, pull the other one and learn the truth instead of spouting a long dispelled piece of russian propaganda.

wont say any more because we're already teetering on the line of politics and mods may shut this down if we continue.
What is "propaganda" to you is the "truth" for others. The fact that we take all what the media says for granted just serves to polarize even more two sides that are already polarized. I wasn't justifying anyone, just looking at things from a different perspective. The whole "we are right" and "they are wrong" and shoving our morals down the throat of others by force is the very thing that fuels wars.

So yeah, I was just trying to make a point, sorry if this became political, but the very fact that we can't handle political discussions should be a sign of alert.

This is why I preferred my dinosaurs :s_frown:
The Great Emu War was noble, but it's an exception to the rule.
Yeah, and they won. You hoomans couldn't beat the mighty Emu herd! My dinosaur kind and our descendants are the best! :blob_shade:

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

What is "propaganda" to you is the "truth" for others. The fact that we take all what the media says for granted just serves to polarize even more two sides that are already polarized. I wasn't justifying anyone, just looking at things from a different perspective. The whole "we are right" and "they are wrong" and shoving our morals down the throat of others by force is the very thing that fuels wars.

So yeah, I was just trying to make a point, sorry if this became political, but the very fact that we can't handle political discussions should be a sign of alert.

The old and highly polyrizing debate of "the dinosaurs were a failure of a species group because they were killed by a meteorite" is starting in 3, 2, 1...

SailusGebel

What is "propaganda" to you is the "truth" for others. The fact that we take all the media says for granted just serve to polarize even more two sides that are already polarized. I wasn't justifying anyone, just looking at things from a different perspective. The whole "we are right" and "they are wrong" and showing our morals down the throat of others by force is the very thing that fuels wars.

No offence here, because I know that people outside of Russia have zero idea how things work here. There is no different perspective. If you are interested in the topic, let's talk in PM and I can explain things to you. If you are too lazy or not interested, you have to trust my words.

Bartun

No offence here, because I know that people outside of Russia have zero idea how things work here. There is no different perspective. If you are interested in the topic, let's talk in PM and I can explain things to you. If you are too lazy or not interested, you have to trust my words.
Well, I always strive to learn more. I would love to have that conversation.

SailusGebel

Well, I always strive to learn more. I would love to have that conversation.
I won't lie, I'm scared to talk about this with anyone as I can get in jail for simply saying that a war is a war. Yes, if you say that the conflict is a war, you wil AT LEAST get fined, but most probably you will get in jail. And yes, it doesn't matter where you write it. If infromerms(snitches? don't know the right word) sees it here(or anywhere else) and report it to police, I will go to jail.

Bartun

I won't lie, I'm scared to talk about this with anyone as I can get in jail for simply saying that a war is a war. Yes, if you say that the conflict is a war, you wil AT LEAST get fined, but most probably you will get in jail. And yes, it doesn't matter where you write it. If infromerms(snitches? don't know the right word) sees it here(or anywhere else) and report it to police, I will go to jail.

Man, I'm aware of how things are in Russia. I would hate it if you go to jail. Please don't take unnecessary risks.

I'll rather have you giving my story one-star reviews and roasting my dinosaurs than go to jail because of me. :s_frown:

SailusGebel

Man, I'm aware of how things are in Russia. I would hate it if you go to jail. Please don't take unnecessary risks.
Again, no offence here, I'm simply curious. If you know how things are in Russia, why do you talk about different perspective? Is it because you feel like your knowledge isn't enough to make a judgement?

Bartun

Again, no offence here, I'm simply curious. If you know how things are in Russia, why do you talk about different perspective? Is it because you feel like your knowledge isn't enough to make a judgement?
I admit my knowledge isn't enough. I mean, I've read a lot but I'm not sure if what I've read is true or just propaganda. I know about there is forbidden by law to speak about the war in Russia. What I meant to say with my previous comment is that there is (supposedly) a large sector of the Russian population that truly supports Putin and the war (and even volunteered to fight). I also know many Russians fled their country, that there are protests, and that there are people who are against the war but cannot be open about it due to the law.

But this isn't something I've just read, I have a Russian friend who lives here and he is convinced the whole thing initiated when the Ukrainians kicked their then-president in 2014 in a "Western orchestrated coup" and sided with the "West" and that some regions in Ukraine raised against their government, backed by Russia, and the conflict started. He pointed out how quickly the new government was recognized when it is "Western aligned" but when Donesk proclaims its independence they are not recognized, or the whole "when the US does it is cool, but when Russia does it, is bad" argument, and that the US is profiting from the war and so on. He actually went back to Russia in October to join Wagner and even tried to drag me with him, that's how convinced (or maybe fanatical) he was.

I have my doubts, I try to listen to various points of view before forming an opinion but if a Russian (who didn't live in Russia) thinks that way, there have to be others like him that just think differently, right? That's why I think there are people who just think differently and have a different perspective.

I'm just an old guy who pretends to be a dinosaur, living in a third-world banana republic in South America. I don't want to offend anyone but since you asked I'm replying. I might not know much but I try to learn whenever I can and listen to others. I try not to take sides, maybe I'm a people pleaser, but that's what I think.

SailusGebel

I admit my knowledge isn't enough. I mean, I've read a lot but I'm not sure if what I've read is true or just propaganda. I know about there is forbidden by law to speak about the war in Russia. What I meant to say with my previous comment is that there is (supposedly) a large sector of the Russian population that truly supports Putin and the war (and even volunteered to fight). I also know many Russians fled their country, that there are protests, and that there are people who are against the war but cannot be open about it due to the law.

But this isn't something I've just read, I have a Russian friend who lives here and he is convinced the whole thing initiated when the Ukrainians kicked their then-president in 2014 in a "Western orchestrated coup" and sided with the "West" and that some regions in Ukraine raised against their government, backed by Russia, and the conflict started. He pointed out how quickly the new government was recognized when it is "Western aligned" but when Donesk proclaims its independence they are not recognized, or the whole "when the US does it is cool, but when Russia does it, is bad" argument, and that the US is profiting from the war and so on. He actually went back to Russia in October to join Wagner and even tried to drag me with him, that's how convinced (or maybe fanatical) he was.

I have my doubts, I try to listen to various points of view before forming an opinion but if a Russian (who didn't live in Russia) thinks that way, there have to be others like him that just think differently, right? That's why I think there are people who just think differently and have a different perspective.

I'm just an old guy who pretends to be a dinosaur, living in a third-world banana republic in South America. I don't want to offend anyone but since you asked I'm replying. I might not know much but I try to learn whenever I can and listen to others. I try not to take sides, maybe I'm a people pleaser, but that's what I think.
Welp, not every Russians born the same. :blob_shade: But if I'm being serious, I don't want to say bad things about him, and I won't, I can only say that he is a victim of propaganda. Normal Russians hate both westerners and Russia for certain reasons. Westerners for continuing to sponsor Russian oligarchs and army, for selling gear for suppresing riots and many more reasons. Perhpas the most important reason is that you can't enter many European countries if you are a simple Russian. If you are a pacifist and you are fleeing from being drafted, the amount of countries willing to provide shelter is constantly shrinking. All while Russian oligarchs, politicians, their children, and other people who actively support the war with their money and publicity live in Europe or USA.

They hate Russia for obvious reasons. Instead of developing the country, they develop their pockets. The biggest example, if the army REALLY were as strong as government claimed(they claimed it was as strong as murica's army), do you really think Ukraine would've not been already conquered? Even vanity projects are left rotting. Defending your country when it fucks up =\= being a patriot.

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

if the army REALLY were as strong as government claimed(they claimed it was as strong as murica's army), do you really think Ukraine would've not been already conquered?
oh, oh, I can answer that! I shouldn't but I will!
I see one main reason and several additional ones for it:
1) Should Ukraine be conquered, Russia will have to carry the financial burden of supporting and restoring its new territory full of people who hate it (not just the gov, but all of it), and the supposed "nazis". Putting aside the fact that nobody in their right mind would want to carry the immence financial burden of having to restore an entire country, Russia doesn't have that money in the first place.

Russia miscalculated and went too far. Putin probably thought that by giving a tough response would cause the westerners to halt disagreeable politics on Ukraine. Now they just have to bleed it out until they get the neesed results.
Others:
War is and always will be immensely profitable. Not for the average folk, but it's not the average folk who started it in the first place. I actually read it in a blog about who and how profits off war but I don't remember. Well, it shouldn't be that hard to find.