Can a war be noble?

Can a war be noble?

• yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

SailusGebel

oh, oh, I can answer that! I shouldn't but I will!
I see one main reason and several additional ones for it:
1) Should Ukraine be conquered, Russia will have to carry the financial burden of supporting and restoring its new territory full of people who hate it (not just the gov, but all of it), and the supposed "nazis". Putting aside the fact that nobody in their right mind would want to carry the immence financial burden of having to restore an entire country, Russia doesn't have that money in the first place.

Russia miscalculated and went too far. Putin probably thought that by giving a tough response would cause the westerners to halt disagreeable politics on Ukraine. Now they just have to bleed it out until they get the neesed results.
Others:
War is and always will be immensely profitable. Not for the average folk, but it's not the average folk who started it in the first place.
Nope. I mean, I agree with some points and overall logic, but this isn't how and why things happened in reality.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
Welp, not every Russians born the same. :blob_shade: But if I'm being serious, I don't want to say bad things about him, and I won't, I can only say that he is a victim of propaganda. Normal Russians hate both westerners and Russia for certain reasons. Westerners for continuing to sponsor Russian oligarchs and army, for selling gear for suppresing riots and many more reasons. Perhpas the most important reason is that you can't enter many European countries if you are a simple Russian. If you are a pacifist and you are fleeing from being drafted, the amount of countries willing to provide shelter is constantly shrinking. All while Russian oligarchs, politicians, their children, and other people who actively support the war with their money and publicity live in Europe or USA.

They hate Russia for obvious reasons. Instead of developing the country, they develop their pockets. The biggest example, if the army REALLY were as strong as government claimed(they claimed it was as strong as murica's army), do you really think Ukraine would've not been already conquered? Even vanity projects are left rotting. Defending your country when it fucks up =\= being a patriot.
I see, and I understand. Thank you for the insight. Seems the politicians are the same everywhere, here they do pretty much the same but with druglords and cartels instead of war. If it wasn't for the US they would have remained unpunished, for that I'm thankful the US played World Police and help us a little bit.

TotallyHuman

Normal Russians hate both westerners and Russia for certain reasons
I can't stop thinking about it. Did you write it wrong or do Russians hate Russia? Because even in my country which I call a capitalist hellhole, I do not hate my country but its economical elites.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I think this thread slid beyond the scope of the initial subject towards controversial territory while exposing Sailus to illegality just to satisfy curiosity while he mentioned that he didnt really want to speak out

Great, now I can send him to the goulag with all this material when he disagrees with me

In the first place, this thread is about war. Why are you guys talking about a "military exercise" lolololol

Drytron

Great, now I can send him to the goulag with all this material when he disagrees with me

SailusGebel

well, I don't know. Just call me to the party when you guys start rebuilding the Soviet Union

I can't stop thinking about it. Did you write it wrong or do Russians hate Russia? Because even in my country which I call a capitalist hellhole, I do not hate my country but its economical elites.
I was talking about the state, but some people hate the country.

TotallyHuman

I was talking about the state, but some people hate the country.
well, those kinds of clowns can be found anywhere
I think this thread slid beyond the scope of the initial subject towards controversial territory while exposing Sailus to illegality just to satisfy curiosity while he mentioned that he didnt really want to speak out
always happy to pressure innocents into illegal acts

BlackKnightX

The Art of War states: "War should be avoided with diplomacy. If it cannot be avoided, it should be fought strategically and psychologically to minimize damage and the wasting of resources. Warfare should only be a last resort and heading into battle is already admitting a kind of defeat."

Waging war is never a noble course, it is the last resort.

OP1000

No war is noble regardless of why it is being fought.

Notadate

Yes. Look at hiroshami. No one touch’s Hawaii

Jokes aside, yes it can be.