Tipping culture

Sola-sama

Retired African Warlord
"Trickle Down Economics"

519.png

melchi

What is a custom title?
tipping culture is a bit of a leftover from the civil war's racism. I heard on a podcast that there were originally two groups of people that got tips. Baggage handlers for the railroads and food workers. At the time, both of these industries were places black people ended up. Later on, the rail road baggage handlers unionized and demanded to be paid instead of hoping whoever they carried baggage for would give them some money.

That didn't happen with the restaurant industry. Like others said, for some evil reason those people get even less than federal minimum wage. (Yes, I agree with hans, if a buisness can't pay their employees it shouldn't be open at all)

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
How so? And even if, bravery is a matter of perspective.
Americans of the Revolution and up to the 20th century were brave because we were not only good at war but would stand up to both the mob and to authority when it went against our liberties.

Majority of Americans today (including myself) are afraid of the mob and authority. The rioters in America are the Mob, and our current administration is the authority that supports that mob. Then you have corporations with their lawyers.

Americans are now cowardly, because we have so much we are afraid to lose we are no longer willing to die for anything more important than ourselves.

BucatiPasta

It be very difficult to fix murica but it's still fixable we just need to vote for a better future

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
I am not from the United States, but I have worked in tourism in the past where many people come from there, and I can say that I usually receive almost no tips, but if one arrives it is welcome. But still that's not the idea of the job, I work for a living wage, not to be working for free and be begging money from customers.

From what I have seen now, business owners are taking advantage of the tips to have workers work for free and make their own money, passing on the cost of wages to the customers still outside the cost of the service.

A McDonald's cashier that I talk to for less than 30 seconds with robot lines is not something I have to pay tips for, it is the minimum for providing a service.

What bothers me the most is that since it is fashionable in the USA, it will soon be trendy in the rest of the world and in my country as well. I can already see myself in the future paying a tip to something like a bus driver or a phone application like the bank's platform.

BucatiPasta

Lol. Nope, not possible. You can vote your way into a dictatorship but never out of it.
There's still a chance even though it seems dire but there's still a chance the past few presidents haven't helped but we can still vote for people that will fix America

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
There's still a chance even though it seems dire but there's still a chance the past few presidents haven't helped but we can still vote for people that will fix America
I personally don't see it happening. At best, the next president can help the economy but the one after that could very well undo it for political gain.

D

Deleted member 54065

I personally don't see it happening. At best, the next president can help the economy but the one after that could very well undo it for political gain.
This reads like very Filipino. 😂🤣

Context: In 2010, Filipinos voted in an economist, Benigno Simeon Aquino III, as president, and he continued the good economic policies of his predecessor (also an economist). He left the treasury with minimal debt and Php 1 trillion surplus.

Fast forward to 2016, Filipinos voted in Rodrigo Duterte, and our economy went from sailing high, to wallowing in the mud. Enamored with the mysoginist (and rapey) president, the people try to justify it by pointing to CoViD, but it's on a bear trajectory even before the pandemic. Duterte left the treasury with a Php 13 Trillion debt.

Last edited by a moderator:

BucatiPasta

Senators then president that is a start to fixing it the biggest issue is climate change but that can be fixed by voting for the right senator then president america can be fixed

D

Deleted member 54065

Senators then president that is a start to fixing it the biggest issue is climate change but that can be fixed by voting for the right senator then president america can be fixed
Question is, how'd you know the 'right' candidate? Everyone's out to show their 'impressive' achievements, speak words that everyone loves during the election season...

...yet, breaks those promises, and their achievements exposed as lies, once they are elected to power.

BucatiPasta

Question is, how'd you know the 'right' candidate? Everyone's out to show their 'impressive' achievements, speak words that everyone loves during the election season...

...yet, breaks those promises, and their achievements exposed as lies, once they are elected to power.
Before you vote do the most research you can then vote

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Most senators are crap and only care about promoting themselves. That, and a few senators have actively gone against constitutional law in recent years. There are rarely any good candidates for senator anymore anyways. No matter how much research you do, it's always about the lesser of two evils.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
To me, tipping is voluntary, not mandatory.

It also should not apply in situations such as takeaway and only apply when:
1. Dine in
2. Services that legit require a staff's full attention, such as when the bellboy carrying my luggage into my hotel room.

I feel that the service workers putting the blame on customers instead of their employers are very dumb.

Tipping is supposed of free will, now you are just forcing me to donate everytime the sermon ends.