Free feedback thread.

SailusGebel

1. Renalia's Tale
  2. Feedback in the thread.
  3. Only 2 chapters uploaded so far. Hopefully, that's enough.
TheTrinary has given feedback over on RR. But I'm very interested in your thoughts/feelings too. Thanks!
Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished all the available chapters. The current last chapter is Chapter 2: Decked.

I should start by saying that your story is not my cup of tea. Will I add it to my reading list? No. But I was willing to read a bit more and even went to RR expecting to see more chapters there. Contradictory, but the reason behind this is quite simple. I needed to read more to make an opinion on certain things.

I like the way you write(your prose or whatever). Your writing is very easy to comprehend, and as a non-native English speaker, I rate it very highly. It's easy to read; I didn't need to spend a lot of time reading your chapters. Now, you might think this hardly sounds like compliments, as your chapters aren't that long, but I will explain everything in the end.

In terms of grammar and prose, I have nothing to say. Even if you had any mistakes or typos, I didn't notice a single one, and I didn't notice weird phrases that might distract me.

Dialogues are good, but, to be fair, I need to read a bit more to form my opinion. That's one of the reasons why I wanted to read more. So far, it was good, and I especially liked the way you wrote Granny's lines, but I don't know how it will be later in the story.

Pacing. I'm not sure if this is where I should include it or not. This is the only thing that genuinely distracted me from reading and made me scratch my head in confusion. I'm talking about this.
Renalia switched to holding the tamales once they cooled enough. Just as well, since not too long after, she got her Deck.

I was focused on cards, deck, as I read the first half of the second chapter. You even wrote the following. Renalia sprang awake from the small pile of straw that served as her bed, eager to start the day. She will get her Core Card and ten skill cards today.

She was eager to get her cards. And then, after I was ready for a scene where she gets her cards, you proceed to write that she got her deck not too long ago. I'm not saying this 100% is a mistake on your side. Perhaps I've missed something when reading? I'm not sure.

As for the plot, characters, worldbuilding, and so on, I can't say much. Usually, when I read so little, I can't say a lot unless there are problems. In your case, you didn't have any problems. The only thing I can add is that MC did act like a child, and that's a plus. Other than that, I can't say your worldbuilding, characters, or plot is good or bad. That's another reason why I wanted to read a bit more.

As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 3.75-4 stars. And this is one of the biggest compliments from me. I've reviewed a fair share of novels from SH, probably more than 30. There were novels that had shorter chapters than yours, but they were harder to read. And even if other reviewers or you yourself disagree with me on grammar and prose, I don't care as this is subjective feedback. Your grammar and the way you write are one of the best I've seen.

And that's the end. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Okay, we all know the drill, right? RIGHT!? The glorious comeback of reviewer you will never forget(🦕), the ass ripper, the one who bashes newbies, the man, the myth, the legend. Based silusgimbel :blob_shade:.

All jokes aside, I have some free time on my hands and I don't see enough operating feedback threads. With M.G.Driver missing, Story_Marc and TheTrinary being busy with vids and their respective jobs, someone has to provide the feedback for newbies.

Important note, my feedback differs from other feedback threads. English is my second language, and I'm a shit author, but what does it mean to you? It means that I will review your stories based on my feelings rather than technicalities, and I will do it as a reader, not as an author. I will give fair, but SUBJECTIVE feedback, and I will be blunt and harsh. Although I'm a lot tamer than I used to be, I will say whatever I think, without sugarcoating my thoughts.

The rules are simple.
1. You post a link to your story.
2. You state where you would like to receive the review\feedback, this thread, or PM. If you don't specify where do you want your feedback, I will post it in this thread.
3. I read your story. After I read as much as I can(I won't force myself to read more than I want), I will reply to you.
4. I won't read and review three genres; GL(girls love\yuri), BL(boys love\yaoi), and GB(gender bender).
:blob_ghost: I will summon thee at a later point when I do require thy services, o Sailus the Wise.

SailusGebel

May I have a review for this one? In His Will. Feedback in thread pls
Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished Chapter 2.

Before I start my feedback, I want to talk about your synopsis. I don't understand it. What does 'the power to feel everything you will perceive' mean? I simply can't understand. After reading a couple of chapters, I came to the conclusion that MC can see the future. Then why would you write 'to feel everything she would have perceived in the day, whether past, present or future'?

I thought, maybe I'm missing something. But after I finished two chapters, I no longer think like that. You simply write a lot of convoluted, barely comprehensible sentences and\or phrases. And overall, the way you write isn't good.

One of the main problems is paragraphing. It's bad for two reasons. The first reason, and the most objective one, is the space between the paragraphs. It's uneven. Now, you might say that it was done purposefully. If you did it purposefully, it simply becomes part of the second reason.

The second reason is, you simply don't group your sentences properly. There was more than one paragraph that are way too big and should be split into several smaller ones.

Examples.
“Please tell me why we have to take a religion class again?” a girl asked, her head bowed and her eyes glued to the paper. The paragraph that starts with this highlighted part shouldn't be this big. I see no reason to not separate the description of a girl from the dialogue line. And I see no reason to not separate the description from the following narration.

“Meanie.” Her cheeks puffed up before she giggled. Thea was a smart girl. This paragraph is even worse. You have a small dialogue before, and you do not separate the dialogue line of Thea, and proceed to write MC's actions all in one huge paragraph.

The last example.
“Finished wandering?” she asked.

“Yes, thanks for waiting, Thea.”
I can understand the increase in the space between the paragraphs when you want to show that the new scene started. For example, your MC went home in the evening, went to bed, and got up the following day, all in one chapter. You want to separate the two days in text. But I see absolutely no reason to randomly increase the space between the paragraphs in the middle of the dialogue that isn't that important. Yes, every dialogue is important, and blah-blah, but there was no need for any kind of pause, or break, or whatever here. This dialogue wasn't deciding the fate of the world, and your MC has already got back here senses a couple of sentences before this break.

Okay, I hope I managed to explain what is wrong and why. I think this part is more or less objective.

Let's move on to a slightly more subjective part. The way you phrase things. There are probably all kinds of problems here, grammar, me misunderstanding something, me being subjective, and so on. I will group various examples here, and I will try to explain what is wrong one by one.

With familiarity, my thumb tapped a random bible verse selection app. This sentence here, I don't like how this is phrased. This didn't distract me from reading, nor do I see major grammar mistakes, but I don't like how this reads. I think this can be paraphrased into something more readable.

I glared at Thea with a very punchable wide grin. What? This isn't me who missed the context. This sentence means that MC has a punchable grin. If you wanted to say that Thea had a punchable grin, shouldn't it be something like, "I glared at Thea who sported a very punchable grin." I'm a shit author, and I don't claim my version is better, I just wanted to show an example.

Like a kid who went to the corner, watching me eat the candy I won in silence. Incomprehensible. Is this a typo or something?

That’s fiiiine. I like breakfast anyway. Same as the first example. Phrased poorly. "That's fine, I like breakfast more than dinner." My version is shit, but once again, I simply showed a direction where to move.

I closed my eyes as I listened to the clinking of bowls and spoons, the whirring of the kettle and the tapping of feet with socks on cement.
Very weirdly phrased. I don't even know how to explain why. It's just weird.

my hearing became echoing and muffled, I understand that your hearing can be muffled, but hearing became echoing? What? You wanted to write that she started hearing an echo, or everything started echoing, or something. Don't do it like you did.

“I’m bored before I lift the second page, so I couldn’t spend some time fantasizing with you about how awesome it would be to enroll in a magic school full of wizards and yell ‘fireball’ while waving our hands, What? Bored before I lift the second page? What does it mean?

She wore a face like a kid realizing she broke a vase. I think it should be, she had a face, not wore a face. Also, what does it mean? She had a face of a kid who just broke the vase. Is this what you wanted to say? If not, I have no idea what you wanted to say.

Those were just a couple of examples, there is more stuff like that in the text. And it's partially what makes it harder for you to properly separate the paragraphs. It's very hard for me to read and comprehend your writing, but this is not the end.

I want to mention a couple of typos that I've noticed.
The screen displayed 11:58 pm, and Jonathan.
“Hello.” I heard her hoarse voice.
“Janette...” his voice trailed off.
This novel is written in a first-person POV. I heard HER hoarse voice all while MC talks with a man. Typo?

“We are already in the year 2114, and He still He is capitalized even though it's the middle of the sentence. Typo?

“Finished wandering around Lalaland? Her muffled voice was still understandable to me. Typo, missed quotation marks, this " thing.

Now I want to mention a few more things, that I don't know where to put.
She straightened up and smiled. She was deep in thought. I don't even know what to say here. Isn't this a contradiction? She is smiling, how come she is in deep thought? She was straightening up and smiling, and then nothing happened, and she is in deep thought? Weird to me.

I leaned back on my comfortable pink couch while I waited for Thea to prepare my... dinner. This thing also bothers me. The story is narrated by MC, and it's first-person POV. I can accept different quirks in prose and how the author writes. However, the problem here is that your MC narrates things very dryly, and very unemotional most of the time. So using ellipsis here feels very out of place to me. In dialogue, your MC could've used it. In narration? Feels out of character.

And lastly, I will talk about the main problem you have(on a side note, I shared the same problem). I will show only one example and explain this problem based on it.
She got up and walked straight to the kettle, before stopping and grabbing the mugs, then going back to the kettle. She filled the three mugs with hot water before going back to the cupboard to get three packets of decaf coffee. After pouring the packets, she went back to get three tablespoons before stirring the coffee. Then she picked up the three mugs and carried them with careful steps to the glass table.

I understand that your MC loses her senses from time to time. But you have WAY too many unnecessary descriptions of actions and movements. I think the main problem here is that your MC doesn't comment on those actions. I understand that she loses her senses, so it might be in character for her to narrate every action, but she shouldn't simply narrate them for use. She should comment somehow. Or, you should get rid of those unnecessary actions altogether because right now they don't add anything to the story AT ALL.

You might think I was nitpicking because I didn't like your novel. I'm not nitpicking. As I said, I mention things that I personally notice and things that bother me. It's easy to check. You can go to another feedback thread, or use some editing site. There are probably mistakes that I didn't mention. Why? Because if it doesn't bother me, doesn't distract me from reading, I won't mention it.

As for your plot, worldbuilding, and characters, I can't say much. Your dialogues can be better as you slightly overuse she said\he said, but it's not so bad. The pacing is kinda off. Because you write a lot of useless depictions of movements that don't build the personalities of your characters, it seems like nothing happened at all. You wanted to slowly introduce readers to MC and even to the world, but you wasted your word count. World? Can't say much. Plot? Same as the world, can't say much after reading two chapters.

In the end, I can say that your story isn't my cup of tea. Even if you didn't have any problems, I would've not continued to read it. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 1.75 stars. When I combine all of the above, it becomes extremely hard to read your story. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.

DataNerdX

I like the way you write(your prose or whatever). Your writing is very easy to comprehend, and as a non-native English speaker, I rate it very highly. It's easy to read; I didn't need to spend a lot of time reading your chapters.

One of the early feedbacks I got from my other story was my sentences were overly long. So I've worked hard to write shorter, to the point, sentences. Thanks for confirming that it's working.

I especially liked the way you wrote Granny's lines, but I don't know how it will be later in the story.

Granny talking good. Thanking you.

Pacing. I'm not sure if this is where I should include it or not. This is the only thing that genuinely distracted me from reading and made me scratch my head in confusion. I'm talking about this.
Renalia switched to holding the tamales once they cooled enough. Just as well, since not too long after, she got her Deck.

I was focused on cards, deck, as I read the first half of the second chapter. You even wrote the following. Renalia sprang awake from the small pile of straw that served as her bed, eager to start the day. She will get her Core Card and ten skill cards today.

She was eager to get her cards. And then, after I was ready for a scene where she gets her cards, you proceed to write that she got her deck not too long ago. I'm not saying this 100% is a mistake on your side. Perhaps I've missed something when reading? I'm not sure.

You're right in that there is definitely a missing scene and pacing issue. I was so eager to get to the cards that I didn't describe her getting the cards. Added that scene, which I really like since I get to describe what the cards and the icons looked like. So much better than building up to it for half a chapter and only saying "she got her deck".

Thank you for the thorough feedback. It helped a lot.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
:blob_cookie: Follow the biscuit crumbs to find my story, aka click on the first story in my signature. Schwarz Der Wille zur Macht. That is the right one. The other has Yuri subplot. Then you are wrong.

Standard procedure, I guess.

:blobspearpeek: Also, I have stabby knife.

RollieOwl

I'm interested in getting a feedback! Doing it here is fine, perhaps it'll help motivate me more to rewrite better story
G.o.D Project
Hope you have a wonderful day!

SailusGebel

I got thick skin and I actually want to improve my skills so be as harsh as you want. if its not too much trouble though i would appreciate more constructive criticism so I know what I should work on. I don't care where you post the feedback, whatever's most convenient for you
Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished all the available chapters. The current last chapter is Basic Training [james]

Before I start with the feedback, here is some friendly advice. If you will continue to write, always add a cover, and use as many tags and genres as possible. Also, try to write a synopsis that is like a synopsis, blurb, or whatever it's called. Even if you suck at writing a synopsis, you won't get better if you don't try. You can always change it later on.

Now let's start with the feedback. I'm sorry for saying this, but your novel is bad. I will try to explain why and use examples, but I won't be able to teach you how to fix it. The current condition of your novel looks like a draft. The type of draft you write in under thirty minutes to roughly plan what happens next, where to expand, and so on.

Here's a very good example why I feel like that. Despite the challenges, James found himself growing closer with the other recruits, bonding over their shared experiences.

What is wrong with this sentence? The fact that this sentence roughly describes the scene. I'm not sure, but I think this is the infamous telling instead of showing. Instead of describing the challenges and writing interactions between the recruits, we get one small sentence.

If you are an avid web novel or light novel reader, you've seen such sentences when some authors write time skips. To give a reader a BRIEF exposition and tell the reader what happened, a narrator tells us small bits of info. The problem with your novel is that all of it is like a time skip.

The entirety of your novel is a brief exposition. When you do get to actually showing things(there were a couple of dialogues) it feels out of place. I can't bond with your characters, I can't relate to them, I don't care about them, and I'm slightly alienated when I suddenly read someone cussing after reading a sentence that described the weather.

I hope you understand what I mean here.

Another problem is your grammar. This part is somewhat subjective, but there are also objective points.

Objective part, you have problems with capitalization.
"very good private Maxwell! Chapter 3.
"and today we must use that right to deliver justice. we have spent months protesting, both peacefully and unpeacefully, Chapter 2.
all you ever talk about is how awful the patriots are, Chapter 1.
This is a few examples, you have a lot more in the text.

You have problems with missing an apostrophe, this ' thing.
"I aint strong, I aint brave, and I sure as hell cant
"S-sir you cant be serious...
"Louder i cant hear you!"
Again, this is only a few examples.

Miscellaneous grammar mistakes.
The sarget's Typo. I'm not sure there are more, personally, I didn't notice more. However, as it was hard to read your novel I can't say that it's the only occurrence.

He stared at the water trying his best to participate in the peacefulness of his surrounding Surroundings?

It was, in fact, that bad No period. Same as above, not sure if this can be considered a typo or a mistake that you make all the time.

Now let me talk about subjective grammar mistakes, mainly repetitions.

He didn't really know enough about politics to know exactly what went wrong.

major Andrew Carlson had finally been given his orders by his superior. his division

Andrew felt a sour a bitter feeling wash over

He then immediately held his hand in pain before yelling a stream of obscenities and then, finally, calming down.

All of the above are examples, there is more various repetition in the text. You can paraphrase a lot of phrases and sentences to get rid of it. Why it's bad? Because it's hard to read, you can get semantic satiation, your eyes glaze over when you read the same words and sentences. It's especially bad in big paragraphs when you can miss where you were and start reading the same stuff or skipping stuff.

Btw, I'm not asking you to use rare words that you have to google to understand. I'm asking you to rephrase stuff, and not use the same words and phrases. Basically to edit and rewrite. Andrew felt a sour and bitter feeling wash over I'm asking to do things like I did here.

Another subjective mistake is weird phrases. You write phrases that no one says or uses. It's okay to try and be artistic, but sometimes it's too much. Here are a couple of examples.

This was supposed to be a relaxing year, a break from life. Weird even if you include the following sentence.
As soon as he entered the barracks, the smell hit him like a ton of bricks. Weird phrase.

Another mistake is your paragraphing and how you group your sentences. Here's an example of what I mean.
"election in deadlock", "patriot party votes split between republicans and democrats", "outrage as Nixon enters office with less than half of the votes", "Vietnam wins war by default as us military evacuates to deal with the domestic conflict", he knew something happened with the election and the relatively new "patriot" party was upset. Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I think it would look better if you split everything here and make each headline a separate paragraph. On a side note, this is another example of the capitalization problem here.

You also write weird sentences in the sense that you split one sentence into two.
As the days went on, the drill sergeant's harshness was a constant. but James found himself able to adjust to his strict expectations. Maybe this exact example is a typo, but I've seen more sentences that can and should be one after a slight editing, but you split them weirdly.

And lastly, the most subjective thing I want to say. It's not a mistake, but this thing bothers me.
How long had it been since the election that ruined everything...a little over a year at this point? You see, your narrator usually describes things dryly, so whenever I see things like the highlighted part, it feels very out of place.

You also add unnecessary descriptions while not writing the necessary ones. Your dialogues are so-so as they are very stiff. They don't feel like it's people talking. Your usage of dialogue tags isn't bad but it can be better. Overall, your dialogues are not absolutely terrible, but not great either.

I can't say anything about characters, plot, or worldbuilding. I've seen none of it, nothing happens before my eyes. Everything is behind the curtains, and I get to hear someone telling me what happened, that's how it feels. As I said above, it feels like I've read a huge time skip.

That's it, personally, I can't see any good points. If you need help, you can try asking Story_Marc in his thread, but it will probably take more time. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 1 star.

rustgoblin32

Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished all the available chapters. The current last chapter is Basic Training [james]

Before I start with the feedback, here is some friendly advice. If you will continue to write, always add a cover, and use as many tags and genres as possible. Also, try to write a synopsis that is like a synopsis, blurb, or whatever it's called. Even if you suck at writing a synopsis, you won't get better if you don't try. You can always change it later on.

Now let's start with the feedback. I'm sorry for saying this, but your novel is bad. I will try to explain why and use examples, but I won't be able to teach you how to fix it. The current condition of your novel looks like a draft. The type of draft you write in under thirty minutes to roughly plan what happens next, where to expand, and so on.

Here's a very good example why I feel like that. Despite the challenges, James found himself growing closer with the other recruits, bonding over their shared experiences.

What is wrong with this sentence? The fact that this sentence roughly describes the scene. I'm not sure, but I think this is the infamous telling instead of showing. Instead of describing the challenges and writing interactions between the recruits, we get one small sentence.

If you are an avid web novel or light novel reader, you've seen such sentences when some authors write time skips. To give a reader a BRIEF exposition and tell the reader what happened, a narrator tells us small bits of info. The problem with your novel is that all of it is like a time skip.

The entirety of your novel is a brief exposition. When you do get to actually showing things(there were a couple of dialogues) it feels out of place. I can't bond with your characters, I can't relate to them, I don't care about them, and I'm slightly alienated when I suddenly read someone cussing after reading a sentence that described the weather.

I hope you understand what I mean here.

Another problem is your grammar. This part is somewhat subjective, but there are also objective points.

Objective part, you have problems with capitalization.
"very good private Maxwell! Chapter 3.
"and today we must use that right to deliver justice. we have spent months protesting, both peacefully and unpeacefully, Chapter 2.
all you ever talk about is how awful the patriots are, Chapter 1.
This is a few examples, you have a lot more in the text.

You have problems with missing an apostrophe, this ' thing.
"I aint strong, I aint brave, and I sure as hell cant
"S-sir you cant be serious...
"Louder i cant hear you!"
Again, this is only a few examples.

Miscellaneous grammar mistakes.
The sarget's Typo. I'm not sure there are more, personally, I didn't notice more. However, as it was hard to read your novel I can't say that it's the only occurrence.

He stared at the water trying his best to participate in the peacefulness of his surrounding Surroundings?

It was, in fact, that bad No period. Same as above, not sure if this can be considered a typo or a mistake that you make all the time.

Now let me talk about subjective grammar mistakes, mainly repetitions.

He didn't really know enough about politics to know exactly what went wrong.

major Andrew Carlson had finally been given his orders by his superior. his division

Andrew felt a sour a bitter feeling wash over

He then immediately held his hand in pain before yelling a stream of obscenities and then, finally, calming down.

All of the above are examples, there is more various repetition in the text. You can paraphrase a lot of phrases and sentences to get rid of it. Why it's bad? Because it's hard to read, you can get semantic satiation, your eyes glaze over when you read the same words and sentences. It's especially bad in big paragraphs when you can miss where you were and start reading the same stuff or skipping stuff.

Btw, I'm not asking you to use rare words that you have to google to understand. I'm asking you to rephrase stuff, and not use the same words and phrases. Basically to edit and rewrite. Andrew felt a sour and bitter feeling wash over I'm asking to do things like I did here.

Another subjective mistake is weird phrases. You write phrases that no one says or uses. It's okay to try and be artistic, but sometimes it's too much. Here are a couple of examples.

This was supposed to be a relaxing year, a break from life. Weird even if you include the following sentence.
As soon as he entered the barracks, the smell hit him like a ton of bricks. Weird phrase.

Another mistake is your paragraphing and how you group your sentences. Here's an example of what I mean.
"election in deadlock", "patriot party votes split between republicans and democrats", "outrage as Nixon enters office with less than half of the votes", "Vietnam wins war by default as us military evacuates to deal with the domestic conflict", he knew something happened with the election and the relatively new "patriot" party was upset. Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I think it would look better if you split everything here and make each headline a separate paragraph. On a side note, this is another example of the capitalization problem here.

You also write weird sentences in the sense that you split one sentence into two.
As the days went on, the drill sergeant's harshness was a constant. but James found himself able to adjust to his strict expectations. Maybe this exact example is a typo, but I've seen more sentences that can and should be one after a slight editing, but you split them weirdly.

And lastly, the most subjective thing I want to say. It's not a mistake, but this thing bothers me.
How long had it been since the election that ruined everything...a little over a year at this point? You see, your narrator usually describes things dryly, so whenever I see things like the highlighted part, it feels very out of place.

You also add unnecessary descriptions while not writing the necessary ones. Your dialogues are so-so as they are very stiff. They don't feel like it's people talking. Your usage of dialogue tags isn't bad but it can be better. Overall, your dialogues are not absolutely terrible, but not great either.

I can't say anything about characters, plot, or worldbuilding. I've seen none of it, nothing happens before my eyes. Everything is behind the curtains, and I get to hear someone telling me what happened, that's how it feels. As I said above, it feels like I've read a huge time skip.

That's it, personally, I can't see any good points. If you need help, you can try asking Story_Marc in his thread, but it will probably take more time. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 1 star.
hey thanks man! this is my first story so I was kind of expecting something along the lines of "this is shit". but I still appreciate the honest feedback.

wutwut

Okay, we all know the drill, right? RIGHT!? The glorious comeback of reviewer you will never forget(🦕), the ass ripper, the one who bashes newbies, the man, the myth, the legend. Based silusgimbel :blob_shade:.

All jokes aside, I have some free time on my hands and I don't see enough operating feedback threads. With M.G.Driver missing, Story_Marc and TheTrinary being busy with vids and their respective jobs, someone has to provide the feedback for newbies.

Important note, my feedback differs from other feedback threads. English is my second language, and I'm a shit author, but what does it mean to you? It means that I will review your stories based on my feelings rather than technicalities, and I will do it as a reader, not as an author. I will give fair, but SUBJECTIVE feedback, and I will be blunt and harsh. Although I'm a lot tamer than I used to be, I will say whatever I think, without sugarcoating my thoughts.

The rules are simple.
1. You post a link to your story.
2. You state where you would like to receive the review\feedback, this thread, or PM. If you don't specify where do you want your feedback, I will post it in this thread.
3. I read your story. After I read as much as I can(I won't force myself to read more than I want), I will reply to you.
4. I won't read and review three genres; GL(girls love\yuri), BL(boys love\yaoi), and GB(gender bender).
Halu! I'm just gonna add my story on the line up. Tnx!

https://www.scribblehub.com/read/760524-i-met-the-young-male-lead-when-i-was-captured-one-shot/

SailusGebel

Hi guys.

New to the site, and just released my first chapter to my story, Birthright. Got some reads on it, and one five star, which I am happy about, but no feedback. I'll be releasing chapter 2 soon, so could someone swing by and check it out, then let me know if they'd like to leave some feedback, or wait until I release more chapters. Thanks!

You can find it here:
Birthright

View attachment 18435
Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished all the available chapters. The current last chapter is Chapter 2

Before I start with the feedback, here is some friendly advice. If you will continue to write, use as many tags and genres as possible. This will help A LOT with getting more views. I know some authors don't want to spoil their stories by putting genres and tags. I don't know if you are one of such authors, but if you are, I must tell you the following. With so few tags and genres, you will barely get any views. And it's not about getting hundreds of views instead of thousands; it's about getting ten or twenty views with zero comments. Moreover, if people find certain things or twists in your story that you didn't tag because you were afraid of spoiling things, they might react with a 1-star in retaliation.

Let me say a couple of words about your synopsis. My subjective opinion, I want you to alter it slightly. Right now, your synopsis is very barebones and has nothing to it. Add a bit more. A somewhat objective opinion, I dislike the following sentence. But what should have been a simple recovery turns into a bitter fight for survival as Tyger stumbles across a threat worse than the voracious Blair wildlife ... and the stranded Imperial soldier who has been hunting it. First of all, it's way too long; secondly, I can't understand why you used ellipsis here. Use of ellipsis means you omit stuff. Here it looks like it's either a typo or you missed something.

Now let's talk about the actual story. I will begin with the parts which I can't comment on. Characters and plot. I've read way too little to say anything meaningful here. Usually, when I read so little, I can't say a lot unless there are problems. In your case, you didn't have any problems.

Worldbuilding. This is very subjective, but I think you introduce way too many new terms. It's only the second chapter, but it feels like I should already know every term and name. When it comes to me, such things push me away from reading because I feel as if I'd started reading the novel from the middle rather than the beginning.

With this out of the way, I can talk about your writing, prose, and grammar. I don't like how you write. I think it's not bad, but you are held back by a couple of things; paragraphing, overly long sentences, and weird phrases.

Paragraphing.
He finally asked, not recognizing the sound of his own voice. No sooner than he’d posed the question, he felt a cold cylindrical object pressed into his hand.

“Well, it was so long ago,” Galem ruminated,

Above, you can see two examples of bad paragraphing. In the first example, you don't even need to change anything.

“Got some water around here?” He finally asked, not recognizing the sound of his own voice.

No sooner than he’d posed the question,
That's it. It's done and looks much better, in my opinion. You have your dialogue line with the dialogue tag separated, and then you proceed to write the action, description, and whatever. You can even split that paragraph into three, and, in my opinion, it will only add to the clarity. As for the second example, I will talk about it later when I talk about your dialogues.

Overly long sentences.
Galem’s mention of the word brought back a connection from the haze of the fever dream in the swamps where he spoke with his father, or at least what he thought was his father; it was hard to tell. I will use only one example because I understand this part is subjective, and I can't properly explain how to make it better or why. You have a lot more of such long sentences in the text, and it's really hard to read them, especially when they are parts of overly big paragraphs. I think you can and should rephrase the majority of such sentences and split them into two. It's okay to write them occasionally, yet even your synopsis has an overly long sentence, it's too much.

Here are examples of weird sentences and phrases.

He half-whispered through an impossibly dry mouth. I don't like impossibly here, sounds weird. The mouth also sounds kinda weird. He half-whispered through his cracked lips. I don't like how I wrote it either, but I hope I gave you an explanation of what I want to see.

Tyger winced from the effort of even thinking as a bolt of pain shot through the middle of his head. The effort of thinking, don't like how this sounds and I think you should paraphrase it. Even thinking was painful enough to make Tyger wince. Again, don't like how I rephrased it, but I wanted to show a direction where you should move.

Though even focusing his vision hurt, Even is a filler word here. Get rid of it or paraphrase the whole sentence.

Galem squinted, but in a somewhat unreadable manner with his obscuring facial features. I don't like how this is written. Same deal as the examples above, rephrase it.

It took about half an hour, but the stampede at last subsided, Same. It took about half an hour for the stampede to subside. I think the way I paraphrased it reads a bit better here.

And the offer, however unnecessary, had been at least welcome. Simply weird and incomprehensible. What does 'however unnecessary' means?

I think all of the above really drags you down, as parts that didn't have those problems were easy to read and comprehend.

Another thing that I don't like are your dialogues. I can't say they are bad, but you have two problems. Repetitions, and dialogue tags. Repetitions are easy to explain. Open your chapter one, press ctrl+f, and type the word 'well'. It's okay to use the same phrases and words in dialogues. This can help you in building up the personalities of your characters. Yet when all of your characters use the same words and phrases and you repeat them it looks bad.

Dialogue tags. You overuse them and at the same time, don't use them in proper places. Dialogue tags are used to indicate who is talking, so when you've already set up who is who, who is talking, and write dialogue line after line, drop the: 'he said', 'she said'.

“Mom had lots of stories about him,” Tyger said. “He shared them with her; she shared them with me while I was growing up.”

The hiltbearer seemed to grimace. “That doesn’t sound too pleasant.”

“Well, some of them were pretty gruesome, but that was my dad for you,” Tyger said. “How did you come to know him? What was he like?”

Above you can see an example. Highlighted parts can be safely removed, and you won't lose anything. Keep the part with 'grimace', it adds to the scene, but get rid of 'Tyger said'.

As for not using dialogue tags, let me return to your paragraphing and that second example. “Well, it was so long ago,” Galem ruminated,
You can easily split this paragraph with the help of additional dialogue tags. Right now, it feels and reads like an info dump. But once you start adding small little movements, and reactions of Tyger to Galem's words, it can add to the scene. You don't need to write how Tyger interrupts Galem with words. You can keep the monologue, but add how Tyger's tail wags, how his eyes gleam or darken, something like this, and then write the reaction of Galem to this as a dialogue tag.

"He wasn’t like the rich saps from Icona who went on those little training wheel clad safari jaunts they called hunts."

Seeing how Tyger listened to his tale with bated breath, Galem scratched his chin in satisfaction. "No, he’d go straight into the interior, often without a guide, just like you did. Then he’d bring his kill back to share with the Solace tribes"

This is just an example of what I meant. You should decide what you can add to the scenes yourself.

You have different typos.
In less than five minutes, the nanos would cut through the pain.
“Galem DiCiani?”
Typo, didn't split the paragrpah.

recognizing barrel-chested man who at in the chair beside him. Sat?

and then comes crawling in from the swamps, delirious with the gas With the gas?

His arms, folded over his chest shook as he gave a deep, throaty chuckle. Forgot comma?

“You knew my father?” he ejected. “How? When?” Ejected?

Tyger couldn’t help but grin as his hand went absently Hand went absently?

I also didn't like how you ended chapter 1. It ended abruptly but in the wrong way.

And that's it. Can't say much more. As I've already mentioned, your writing(prose, or whatever you want to call it) isn't bad, but I think you are held back by the mentioned problems. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 1.75-2 stars. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.

SailusGebel

I am a new author, please give me feedback on my second novel. I'll take everything.

Feedback in thread plz.

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/699373/a-black-market-litrpg/
Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished Chapter 2 – Seven Snakes.

You know what you do, and you probably don't need any advice. However, since you've asked me for feedback, I will say everything as is. And I will start with the title and synopsis. I won't read your work after seeing just that. I'm obviously biased and very subjective here since I'm simply not a fan of LitRPG, but I've never claimed that this is an objective feedback thread.

Now I will talk about the story. I will start by talking about the plot, world, characters, and blah-blah. I obviously can't say anything here. Usually, when I read so little, I can't say a lot unless there are problems. In your case, you didn't have any problems. Perhaps the pacing is a tad bit fast, but only a little.

The biggest problem of your novel is the same as the majority of novels that I review. It's how you write. Okay, let me be clear here. Can I understand what you write? Absolutely, I can comprehend almost everything. Do you have an awful lot amount of grammar mistakes? Personally didn't notice a lot. Is it pleasant to read? Absolutely not.

To me, it was a chore. The whole time that I was reading, I was forced to reread sentences, substitute the words, change phrases, think of synonyms, and so on. At the end of the day, I understood everything, but it was mentally taxing to read.

The core problems here, in my opinion, are overly long sentences, usage of wrong words, filler(redundant? don't know how to call them) words, and an overall jarring way of writing. Maybe this is only my thing and I simply don't like your style. I don't know, but I will try to elaborate on everything.

Alvin could barely register his surroundings after the first hit, stumbling about coated in filth and pus from the trash heap. Stumbling about? Typo? Cause it's the first time I hear this, and a quick Google search doesn't show any results.

Blood that was much fresher and more recent. More recent is redundant, you don't need this.

A voice wafted in from above in a taunting fashion. I don't like how this sentence was phrased and forced you to write repetition. A taunting voice wafted in from above. This sound a lot better, in my opinion.

A meaty hand slammed the wooden table, causing the map made out of parchment on the table and empty mugs of ale to tremble. Overall a weird sentence that doesn't make a lot of sense unless you reread it because it has a redundant repetition. A meaty hand slammed the wooden table, causing the map made out of parchment and empty mugs of ale to tremble.

Now they were a small-time racket, barely a factor in the criminal underbelly of Raktor. Now they DO a small-time racket? Or is it me who is wrong?

The table cracked apart in the middle of the force, Don't like 'in the middle of the force' at all. No one talks like that, no one uses such a phrase.

The beating continued for three minutes, the necklace’s glow beginning to faint. Beginning to faint sounds weird. The beating continued for three minutes until the necklace’s glow started fainting. I don't like the way I phrased it either, but it's still better than beginning to faint.

Damian rambled, before looking up into Kyle’s eyes, seeing that he was extremely serious and not in a joking manner. I can't understand what it means. Not in a joking manner means that Kyle is not joking, pretending to be serious, or not?

“I’m going to be asking some questions. You will answer immediately and directly to the best of your abilities.” Damian nodded. Did he lose all his memories, and a bipolar personality took over or something? Here you didn't split the paragraph in two. You should always split actions and dialogue lines of different characters, and you know the drill.

“Good. I understand this city is known to be Raktor and is fairly large.” IT is fairly large? Os is it me again?

Ulon was slightly taken aback by the sheer confidence that Alvin now radiated. This is very subjective, but I think confidence doesn't fit the context. Based on what I've read before and after, arrogance would probably fit better.

The same hand pointed menacingly at a group of young men, who flinched slightly. Don't like how this is phrased at all. The same hand pointed menacingly at a group of young men, making them flinch. Once more I don't like how I changed it, yet I think it's better than yours.

“What…?” The purple box that appeared in front of Alvin’s face was jarring, and he tried to swipe it out of the way. What was a hologram doing here? You either forgot to show the highlighted part in italic to show that it's thoughts, or you forgot that your narrator is a third-person POV.

That detail put him on guard, holding his pipe at the ready. “I don’t care who the fuck you are, don’t think you can just mess around on the Red Lion’s turf!” Riker shouted in bravado. Holding his pipe at the ready is very weird. Haven't seen anyone writing anything like that. Is it punctuation problems? Doesn't look like that because your sentences simply don't connect with each other. HoldING, but then he shoutED.

That detail put him on guard. He readied the pipe in his hand, “I don’t care who the fuck you are! Don’t think you can just mess around on the Red Lion’s turf!” Riker shouted in bravado. I don't like how I changed it, but I hope you understand what I meant and what I want to see.

Sorry for simply dumping everything in one huge pile, but it's really hard to sort everything out as all your problems are interconnected. The best example above kinda illustrates it. I tried to give at least brief explanations of why I think this or that is wrong, and take note that all of the above are examples. This means you have more similar problems in the text.

Another problem, you overuse words like utter or sheer. How to explain this, when an author writes the phrase 'utter despair', the word 'utter' signifies that this is the apex of despair, you can't drop lower. But you use such words left and right instead of using synonyms with a softer meaning.

Another example to explain what I mean. You can write that someone 'walked out', or you can write that someone 'stormed out'. Both mean to leave the place, however 'stormed out' carries a lot more emotions in it while 'walked out' is neutral. You always choose to write 'stormed out', and by doing this you can't up the emotions and tension anymore. You're already at the limit.

What more to say? Your dialogues are okay, although I would like it if you spread the dialogue tags somewhat more evenly. You have enough and they are good, but from what I've seen, you tend to group them up ever so slightly. You also should probably work on descriptions, but this is a combination of pacing and your writing style issues, and I've talked about them.

And that's all. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 2.5 stars. As I said, I did understand everything but it wasn't pleasant at all. And that's the end. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.

M.G.Driver

Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished Chapter 2 – Seven Snakes.

You know what you do, and you probably don't need any advice. However, since you've asked me for feedback, I will say everything as is. And I will start with the title and synopsis. I won't read your work after seeing just that. I'm obviously biased and very subjective here since I'm simply not a fan of LitRPG, but I've never claimed that this is an objective feedback thread.

Now I will talk about the story. I will start by talking about the plot, world, characters, and blah-blah. I obviously can't say anything here. Usually, when I read so little, I can't say a lot unless there are problems. In your case, you didn't have any problems. Perhaps the pacing is a tad bit fast, but only a little.

The biggest problem of your novel is the same as the majority of novels that I review. It's how you write. Okay, let me be clear here. Can I understand what you write? Absolutely, I can comprehend almost everything. Do you have an awful lot amount of grammar mistakes? Personally didn't notice a lot. Is it pleasant to read? Absolutely not.

To me, it was a chore. The whole time that I was reading, I was forced to reread sentences, substitute the words, change phrases, think of synonyms, and so on. At the end of the day, I understood everything, but it was mentally taxing to read.

The core problems here, in my opinion, are overly long sentences, usage of wrong words, filler(redundant? don't know how to call them) words, and an overall jarring way of writing. Maybe this is only my thing and I simply don't like your style. I don't know, but I will try to elaborate on everything.

Alvin could barely register his surroundings after the first hit, stumbling about coated in filth and pus from the trash heap. Stumbling about? Typo? Cause it's the first time I hear this, and a quick Google search doesn't show any results.

Blood that was much fresher and more recent. More recent is redundant, you don't need this.

A voice wafted in from above in a taunting fashion. I don't like how this sentence was phrased and forced you to write repetition. A taunting voice wafted in from above. This sound a lot better, in my opinion.

A meaty hand slammed the wooden table, causing the map made out of parchment on the table and empty mugs of ale to tremble. Overall a weird sentence that doesn't make a lot of sense unless you reread it because it has a redundant repetition. A meaty hand slammed the wooden table, causing the map made out of parchment and empty mugs of ale to tremble.

Now they were a small-time racket, barely a factor in the criminal underbelly of Raktor. Now they DO a small-time racket? Or is it me who is wrong?

The table cracked apart in the middle of the force, Don't like 'in the middle of the force' at all. No one talks like that, no one uses such a phrase.

The beating continued for three minutes, the necklace’s glow beginning to faint. Beginning to faint sounds weird. The beating continued for three minutes until the necklace’s glow started fainting. I don't like the way I phrased it either, but it's still better than beginning to faint.

Damian rambled, before looking up into Kyle’s eyes, seeing that he was extremely serious and not in a joking manner. I can't understand what it means. Not in a joking manner means that Kyle is not joking, pretending to be serious, or not?

“I’m going to be asking some questions. You will answer immediately and directly to the best of your abilities.” Damian nodded. Did he lose all his memories, and a bipolar personality took over or something? Here you didn't split the paragraph in two. You should always split actions and dialogue lines of different characters, and you know the drill.

“Good. I understand this city is known to be Raktor and is fairly large.” IT is fairly large? Os is it me again?

Ulon was slightly taken aback by the sheer confidence that Alvin now radiated. This is very subjective, but I think confidence doesn't fit the context. Based on what I've read before and after, arrogance would probably fit better.

The same hand pointed menacingly at a group of young men, who flinched slightly. Don't like how this is phrased at all. The same hand pointed menacingly at a group of young men, making them flinch. Once more I don't like how I changed it, yet I think it's better than yours.

“What…?” The purple box that appeared in front of Alvin’s face was jarring, and he tried to swipe it out of the way. What was a hologram doing here? You either forgot to show the highlighted part in italic to show that it's thoughts, or you forgot that your narrator is a third-person POV.

That detail put him on guard, holding his pipe at the ready. “I don’t care who the fuck you are, don’t think you can just mess around on the Red Lion’s turf!” Riker shouted in bravado. Holding his pipe at the ready is very weird. Haven't seen anyone writing anything like that. Is it punctuation problems? Doesn't look like that because your sentences simply don't connect with each other. HoldING, but then he shoutED.

That detail put him on guard. He readied the pipe in his hand, “I don’t care who the fuck you are! Don’t think you can just mess around on the Red Lion’s turf!” Riker shouted in bravado. I don't like how I changed it, but I hope you understand what I meant and what I want to see.

Sorry for simply dumping everything in one huge pile, but it's really hard to sort everything out as all your problems are interconnected. The best example above kinda illustrates it. I tried to give at least brief explanations of why I think this or that is wrong, and take note that all of the above are examples. This means you have more similar problems in the text.

Another problem, you overuse words like utter or sheer. How to explain this, when an author writes the phrase 'utter despair', the word 'utter' signifies that this is the apex of despair, you can't drop lower. But you use such words left and right instead of using synonyms with a softer meaning.

Another example to explain what I mean. You can write that someone 'walked out', or you can write that someone 'stormed out'. Both mean to leave the place, however 'stormed out' carries a lot more emotions in it while 'walked out' is neutral. You always choose to write 'stormed out', and by doing this you can't up the emotions and tension anymore. You're already at the limit.

What more to say? Your dialogues are okay, although I would like it if you spread the dialogue tags somewhat more evenly. You have enough and they are good, but from what I've seen, you tend to group them up ever so slightly. You also should probably work on descriptions, but this is a combination of pacing and your writing style issues, and I've talked about them.

And that's all. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 2.5 stars. As I said, I did understand everything but it wasn't pleasant at all. And that's the end. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.
Really good stuff thanks, I like the perspective. I will fix it.

However, I am fairly certain 'stumbling about' exists. Otherwise, everything else sounds about right.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Really good stuff thanks, I like the perspective. I will fix it.

However, I am fairly certain 'stumbling about' exists. Otherwise, everything else sounds about right.
Please don't change it.👏:blob_frown:

Sebas_Guzman

Full disclosure, I'm here because I love reading Sailus's opinions.
About the "Stumbling About" @SailusGebel , it's a little tricky we these types of informal phrases. To find it on google, you HAVE to type this into the search:
"stumbling about"
you HAVE to include the quotation marks. You'll find 458,000 exact results featuring the phrase, including some sentence examples.
I have to do this specific type of searching whenever I'm researching the stranger english phrases

SailusGebel

Full disclosure, I'm here because I love reading Sailus's opinions.
About the "Stumbling About" @SailusGebel , it's a little tricky we these types of informal phrases. To find it on google, you HAVE to type this into the search:
"stumbling about"
you HAVE to include the quotation marks. You'll find 458,000 exact results featuring the phrase, including some sentence examples.
I have to do this specific type of searching whenever I'm researching the stranger english phrases
Thank you for telling me this.