Question for artists

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
Do y'all ever get, like, scared or nervous to share your designs? Not for fear of how people would view your work, but rather fear that someone would steal your work and then sell it off as their own;
What do y'all do to deal with that fear? Is there a way to reduce it?

Stealthy_Enigma

(❀⁠≽ᆺ≼)⊃~~~~✧ ꧁Floofy Ninja!!!꧂
do-or-do-not-1.jpg

Just go all in. That was one of my fears when I first began writing. I just came to accept that what happens will happen.
(✿^ᆺ^)👍

Last edited:

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
My art was so bad that it got deleted from my lore. I think it was because people thought me and Ellie weren't hugging. Or the bat at the bottom was that offensive.
Edit: Ignore this. I deleted the art from discord where the link was from, so that is why it is gone.

D

Deleted member 54065

Do y'all ever get, like, scared or nervous to share your designs? Not for fear of how people would view your work, but rather fear that someone would steal your work and then sell it off as their own;
My friend, @Ran-Ron, has the same fears. And I perfectly understand the reason behind those concerns.

However, for me? I'm not scared coz I can always do it again.

As for selling it off? This is the net, so it's easy to find who's the fake. I've seen a lot of cases where the artist tried to sneak in some copyright violations and ended up in hot water.

Still, can't be wrong with playing it safe. Always have your works copyrighted.

Also, to add context to what I just said...

When I was in college (2008), I tried joining an animation group in our campus. I got accepted, and began training with them. A feature of this group was that, in every assignment they gave us, they'd rank our works. Not only for encouragement, but it was also for 'bragging rights', because that group encouraged competition as a way to motivate members.

One of our assignments back then was to create a character (concept), and I did one with enthusiasm. After that, I submitted it and it went through under scrutiny.

Needless to say, when the results came out, my work was plagiarized. Not by a peer member, but one of the admins. The costume, the looks...only the colors are different, and maybe some additions on the hair and the clothes.

I was also unranked.

When I raised the issue, I was expelled. Swore to myself that I won't join any anime group from then.

Still, I'm living happily with my commissions, while that guy who plagiarized my work before was afraid of AI proliferation. :blobreading:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ran-Ron

Ashen-haired waifu enthusiast

It's more of the former rather than the latter really. I've had my fair share of harsh and unfair crits in my works before so showing off my stuff initially can be nerve-wracking. Not to mention, there's also the fear that no one will probably care to look at them. Hell, it took me a while to decide whether I'll post mine here or not if it wasn't for @Hans.Trondheim just telling me to do it.

As for fear of getting my art stolen. Idk I always felt like there are far better artworks out there to be stolen than mine lmao. And this is also why I post them in a lot of art websites or socmed so in case someone actually tries to find the sauce, I know it will be redirected to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 54065

It's more of the former rather than the latter really. I've had my fair share of harsh and unfair crits in my works before so showing off my stuff initially can be nerve-wracking. Not to mention, there's also the fear that no one will probably care to look at them. Hell, it took me a while to decide whether I'll post mine here or not if it wasn't for @Hans.Trondheim just telling me to do it.

As for fear of getting my art stolen. Idk I always felt like there are far better artworks out there to be stolen than mine lmao. And this is also why I post them in a lot of art websites or socmed so in case someone actually tries to find the sauce, I know it will be redirected to me.
It's also one of my fears, actually. The fact that you gave your all in that piece of artwork, and then someone comes along and throws in a lot of negative feedbacks.

However, I'm doing art for the funsies and for my novels. If they don't like my style, then it's a 'them' problem, not mine. I mean, I've seen professional artists (like Tony Taka) commit errors in works that they sold, and I'm not even a professional.

art thief feels so early 10's

if anything they probably will just use ai art for that where you can't even tell the source material.

as for me, i don't really care. i'm just casual about it than making them something serious or even a profession. don't feel much interest in the professional thingy either.

i don't even remember if anyone actually 'stole' my art

D

Deleted member 54065

art thief feels so early 10's

if anything they probably will just use ai art for that where you can't even tell the source material.

as for me, i don't really care. i'm just casual about it than making them something serious or even a profession. don't feel much interest in the professional thingy either.

i don't even remember if anyone actually 'stole' my art
It's pretty hard to steal artstyle and works nowadays.

When I was a teacher, I attended a seminar where they were teaching teachers how to draw stuff because they won't hire professional artists (who won't accept meager pay anyway).

One of the issues they raised to us was the art theft of one of their teacher-illustrators. It's just a mushroom, yet the Philippine Department of Education spent thousands of money they should launder to their pockets in litigations from the artist that draw that certain mushroom style.

It's just a freaking mushroom, and they still got caught.

Ran-Ron

It's also one of my fears, actually. The fact that you gave your all in that piece of artwork, and then someone comes along and throws in a lot of negative feedbacks.

However, I'm doing art for the funsies and for my novels. If they don't like my style, then it's a 'them' problem, not mine. I mean, I've seen professional artists (like Tony Taka) commit errors in works that they sold, and I'm not even a professional.

This is something I also find to be an issue in lots of creative groups, be it writing or art. For some reason, people will throw more negative feedbacks faster than they can bust a nut.

I remember I was invited to join a dA group that encouraged commenting to help fellow artists gain some reach, but within two weeks I was there, I've seen how it was a dog-eat-dog community so I eventually left. The group itself of course was serious about their cause. The members were the problem. Barely anyone does the sandwich method there.

Some members in FictionPress are also notorious for this. They'd go around claiming they're a harsh critic, then all they do is complain about what they personally don't like, trashtalking the piece then claim it as constructive.

D

Deleted member 54065

This is something I also find to be an issue in lots of creative groups, be it writing or art. For some reason, people will throw more negative feedbacks faster than they can bust a nut.

I remember I was invited to join a dA group that encouraged commenting to help fellow artists gain some reach, but within two weeks I was there, I've seen how it was a dog-eat-dog community so I eventually left. The group itself of course was serious about their cause. The members were the problem. Barely anyone does the sandwich method there.
The problem with most art groups is that, they have members who were there just to encourage themselves and feel superior by bringing down other artists, one way or the other.

I mean, let's face it. We artists have that little desire to be recognized for what we do. But to do it at the expense of others is premium trash behavior.

As such, I'm careful of joining one. If I do join, I make sure to push my fellow artists up. It's always fun to have friends with you, anw.

Ran-Ron

The problem with most art groups is that, they have members who were there just to encourage themselves and feel superior by bringing down other artists, one way or the other.

I mean, let's face it. We artists have that little desire to be recognized for what we do. But to do it at the expense of others is premium trash behavior.

As such, I'm careful of joining one. If I do join, I make sure to push my fellow artists up. It's always fun to have friends with you, anw.

Same sentiments, which is also why I'm kinda careful with the groups I join. Been a lotsa art groups before and they're just really snob or toxic. It was only recent that I got into a slightly more welcoming art group and hopefully it stays like that.

Anyway, for the whole fear about your art... I guess I can surmise it to just one image.

D

Deleted member 54065

Same sentiments, which is also why I'm kinda careful with the groups I join. Been a lotsa art groups before and they're just really snob or toxic. It was only recent that I got into a slightly more welcoming art group and hopefully it stays like that.

Anyway, for the whole fear about your art... I guess I can surmise it to just one image.

Well, as your friend, I'd say you're a fake artest, @Ran-Ron! You can't even draw Liza Soberano!

Which...if we go by that logic, I'm also a fake artest! I don't draw Liza Soberano!

Some members in FictionPress are also notorious for this. They'd go around claiming they're a harsh critic, then all they do is complain about what they personally don't like, trashtalking the piece then claim it as constructive.

i think one of the red flags is when the members talk more than half the time about their views / popularity / money earned than how much they love their work.

which i don't think they do, else they talk about it instead.

D

Deleted member 54065

i think one of the red flags is when the members talk more than half the time about their views / popularity / money earned than how much they love their work.

which i don't think they do, else they talk about it instead.
I've been in one of the toxic groups.

Most of the time, you'll receive unsolicited advise on how you do your work, which is mostly based on their biases and preferences.

They rarely talk of their views, but would post pictures of it without any context.

ArrogantYoungMaster

Humblest Cultivator 🍵🫖
Well, as your friend, I'd say you're a fake artest, @Ran-Ron! You can't even draw Liza Soberano!

Which...if we go by that logic, I'm also a fake artest! I don't draw Liza Soberano!
You know, this daoist is something of an artist myself.

Original digial drawing of Liza Soberan by ArrogantYoungMaster

___
_|
: ) |_
--+--
|
/ \

Do not steal​

I've been in one of the toxic groups.

Most of the time, you'll receive unsolicited advise on how you do your work, which is mostly based on their biases and preferences.

They rarely talk of their views, but would post pictures of it without any context.
i think art is like that actually. it is considered good because it aligns with our preferences.

if you want to be more objective you probably go into technical details like the anatomy, perspective, details kind of stuff but for someone like me, i'm too lazy to dabble in that.