Have you guys ever burned yourselves out reading?

RootBeerBert

Was definitely popular growing up
You know when you find yourself a good story and spend a few days reading, and after a certain arc or volume you just find yourself burned out with story? You still like it but need a break from reading it for anything else.

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
Reading might be the one thing I never get tired of.

If I get tired of a specific story though, it's probably because something in it is super off-putting. So rather than a break, I just drop it entirely.

Stealthy_Enigma

(❀⁠≽ᆺ≼)⊃~~~~✧ ꧁Floofy Ninja!!!꧂
You know when you find yourself a good story and spend a few days reading, and after a certain arc or volume you just find yourself burned out with story? You still like it but need a break from reading it for anything else.
Nope! I just burned myself out by staying up late reading when I should really be asleep.
(✿;≧∇≦;)
nemuswaifugen-dGUpLCAoZm-1540630932.png

If I get tired of a specific story though, it's probably because something in it is super off-putting. So rather than a break, I just drop it enentirely.
Same (✿^ᆺ^)👍

RootBeerBert

Was definitely popular growing up
Reading might be the one thing I never get tired of.

If I get tired of a specific story though, it's probably because something in it is super off-putting. So rather than a break, I just drop it entirely.
Nope! I just burned myself out by staying up late reading when I should really be asleep.
(✿;≧∇≦;)
Y’all better me.

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
I have over 400 different stories that I switch between reading (and occasionally rereading) because my brain throws a fit if I focus on something too long.
Obviously not all at once tho lmao; only about 60 someodd tabs are open right now, the rest are on reading sites like NU and scribblehub

Paul_Michaels

Just a below average author.
Yeah, it's somewhere to me where it's something with the story that starts getting lame or going in a direction that I'm not happy with and I just drop it and move on.

Plus it is hard for me to read someone else work when I'm writing my own stories. Start getting in the head space of wanting to rewrite their work in my image.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Yes.

Especially when I have 20+ bookmarks on works that are basically the same BS.

Wish fulfilment MC that is ruthless and on that grind to gain muscles and power.

There are times where I would go "oh, wait what?" because I mixed them up. Best part is that they are interchangeable and have no personality of their own except murderhobo.

Temple

If actual burning out (not just disliking the story and stopping), then probably reading Pact by Wildbow.

Kigol

Yeah, on certain stories, like im at 1423 of my vampire system' but i other stories to read while i get back in the mood

DiscoDream

Severe autist
I get tired of reading after a few hours. I used to be able to read for days on end(minus sleep), but I don't think I was truly "enjoying" reading when I did that.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
murderhobo.
Stop disrespecting Murderhobos.

A prober murderhobo is a Gaming term. When you have a character in say, D&D
At level 1, they look normal.
At level 5, they start to look a little odd, because the amount of magic items they have are few.
At level 10, you start to get Murder Hobo, because the PC is wearing whatever gives the best bonuses. A Robe of eyes, with wooden shoes that prevent getting exhausted with Eyes of Stone, and a scroll tied to your forehead while wielding a shield and a two handed sword, because you got a belt of the third arm to hold the shield.
At level 15, you start to buy custom equipment.
At level 20, your outfit matches and you look identical to a level 1 adventurer, if not with a bit more bling

This is the evolution of the Murderhobo.

When you see a party of people who are all dressed in clothing and equipment from 12 different cultures with third eyes and straw hats and brightly colored robes with jester jingly bell belts, that's a group of murderhobos.

When you see one member of the group, usually in the middle where the wizard would be, and she is dressed in a fashionable dress and has lots of matching jewelry...

RUN.

So please stop calling people who aren't murderhobos, Murderhobos.
If they don't wear disjointed sets of mismatched equipment they aren't murderhobos.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Stop disrespecting Murderhobos.

A prober murderhobo is a Gaming term. When you have a character in say, D&D
At level 1, they look normal.
At level 5, they start to look a little odd, because the amount of magic items they have are few.
At level 10, you start to get Murder Hobo, because the PC is wearing whatever gives the best bonuses. A Robe of eyes, with wooden shoes that prevent getting exhausted with Eyes of Stone, and a scroll tied to your forehead while wielding a shield and a two handed sword, because you got a belt of the third arm to hold the shield.
At level 15, you start to buy custom equipment.
At level 20, your outfit matches and you look identical to a level 1 adventurer, if not with a bit more bling

This is the evolution of the Murderhobo.

When you see a party of people who are all dressed in clothing and equipment from 12 different cultures with third eyes and straw hats and brightly colored robes with jester jingly bell belts, that's a group of murderhobos.

When you see one member of the group, usually in the middle where the wizard would be, and she is dressed in a fashionable dress and has lots of matching jewelry...

RUN.

So please stop calling people who aren't murderhobos, Murderhobos.
If they don't wear disjointed sets of mismatched equipment they aren't murderhobos.
Learn something everyday.

Isn't that a munchkin?

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Learn something everyday.

Isn't that a munchkin?
No. Even without minmaxing, you still get the murderhobo effect with most D&D adventuring parties. Oddly enough, the Munchkin is more likely to invest in Craft Wonderous Item and Craft Arms and Armor, and thus very quickly create their own equipment (with proper flaws to help minimize the cost) and are much faster to evolve out of the murderhobo stage than most players. (then after they have their custom equipment, they use the retraining rules to switch out the crafting feat for something more combat effective.)