Have you guys ever burned yourselves out reading?

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
No. Even without minmaxing, you still get the murderhobo effect with most D&D adventuring parties. Oddly enough, the Munchkin is more likely to invest in Craft Wonderous Item and Craft Arms and Armor, and thus very quickly create their own equipment (with proper flaws to help minimize the cost) and are much faster to evolve out of the murderhobo stage than most players. (then after they have their custom equipment, they use the retraining rules to switch out the crafting feat for something more combat effective.)
So the 20+ CN MCs I follow are munchkins considering that they grow out of their "dressing like a twat" phase very quickly and into personalizing accessories and spells.

They still enjoy killing others for their shits though, either for materials or gold. What does that classify them as?

sage61

I don't get burnout from reading, but I do switch novels in between reading. Sometimes it's just because something inside the novel triggered me and so I paused to get over it, while other times is due to being bored of the same storyline and so I hop to another novel and binge read my day. So it's not exactly a break from reading, as I'll still be reading books all day when I'm able to.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
So the 20+ CN MCs I follow are munchkins considering that they grow out of their "dressing like a twat" phase very quickly and into personalizing accessories and spells.

They still enjoy killing others for their shits though, either for materials or gold. What does that classify them as?
Assholes.

Bobple

Yes, I challenged myself to read every book I owned (digitally) as fast as possible which at the time was about at least 200 books. Read them all it about 5~6 days.

Brain was actually fried. Completely burned. I had a massive headache for the next two weeks.

Octopal

You know when you find yourself a good story and spend a few days reading, and after a certain arc or volume you just find yourself burned out with story? You still like it but need a break from reading it for anything else.
Nope. I don't burn my phone nor my book.

Arkus86

There are books I don't read unless I'm in the right frame of mind to properly focus on and enjoy them.
There are books I took a break from when something puts me off, usually after binging through many chapters, only to pick it up again months later with a fresh perspective - becuase the book was still good or enjoyable, just not what I wanted at the time.
And there are books I dropped because I could not reconcile with their faults or where they were going anymore.
But I do not believe I have actually burned myself out on any particular story.

Le_ther

You know when you find yourself a good story and spend a few days reading, and after a certain arc or volume you just find yourself burned out with story? You still like it but need a break from reading it for anything else.
Yeah, it sometimes the story gets stale ans boring even tho the climax is literally near

ACertainPassingUser

I Usually feel burned out around 200-300ish chapter of single reading, depends on the amount of content.

Especially when the quality drops down and no longer stable, or the repetitive writing pattern starts to grate on me.

There's time when I simply get angry or disappointed at the development, there's time when I'm simply tired after the character just from one big plot to another without stopping.

Iamnotabot

Bot of [PAUL]
Must be one hell of a story to make me feel burnout, I felt it before but it's usually a very long one to make me stop reading it for a while

nototect

Sure.

Some stories get repetitive.

Some stories are very emotionally intense/draining (Need to be in the right headspace for those)

Some stories are so exciting, that my reading pace becomes so fast, to the point of unconsciously skipping important sentences, making me feel lost at some point, because I lose the overview on what is happening.

J_Chemist

I've definitely burned myself out when reading, watching anime, and other things. There have been several moments where I've been so bored of everything that I've just sat down and stared into space because nothing helps. I typically just start thumbing through Instagram Reels or YouTube shorts at that point. It doesn't happen often but if the story is requiring me to use my brain more than usual, or if I'm at a part that I have to grind through for whatever reason, it does get tiring.