Difficulty of soulslike games.

InviInvi

As long as there isn't another Laxasia I'm perfectly content with how soulslikes are rn

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Who said they don't like those kinds of bosses? And I am not talking about making bosses easier, quite the opposite. I'm asking to up the difficulty in my other gaming skills. My wit or attention. Remake a Fool's idol boss. Make a not so hard boss that you can't kill unless you've explored the world. Make the world matter, make it more than your levelling ground. Don't make one boss like that out of 20. Make 5 bosses like Nameless King, and the rest are not simply Wolnir or Ancient Wyvern, but all require a different strategy. Here you need to break special barrels to make the boss vulnerable, here you need to evade his attacks with the help of columns or something, here the boss is easy but your inputs got inverted. I don't know, I'm not a game designer.
From talk about the games, I have seen these be peoples least favorite bosses. Its cool at first, but what happens when you replay the game? What about when you start speedrunning? Hence, I think the majority of bosses should be combat skill alone.

SailusGebel

From talk about the games, I have seen these be peoples least favorite bosses. Its cool at first, but what happens when you replay the game? What about when you start speedrunning? Hence, I think the majority of bosses should be combat skill alone.
Sistah, it's cause they don't evolve. Of course Greatwood fight will be the least favorite, cause it's Adjudicator's fight all over again. Almost nothing has changed, but Demon Souls came out in 2009, and DS3 came out in 2016. You had 7 years and you didn't evolve this aspect at all. We came from Penetrator to Gael. We came from Adjudicator to Adjudicator but in a form of Greatwood.

Also, speedrunning shouldn't even be considered, sorry. It is a very niche category, and if you take their needs into consideration, you should satisfy the need of people like me, cause we are also a minotiry.

Lastly, you achieve high replay value with other features. You add new stuff for ng+, you add stuff like tendencies for new playthroughs. Tendencies actually added new content depending on how you play. Does DS3 add new content depending on how many times you've died? It does add a secret ending. Does it give you something for clearing the game without dying? Nothing.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Sistah, it's cause they don't evolve. Of course Greatwood fight will be the least favorite, cause it's Adjudicator's fight all over again. Almost nothing has changed, but Demon Souls came out in 2009, and DS3 came out in 2016. You had 7 years and you didn't evolve this aspect at all. We came from Penetrator to Gael. We came from Adjudicator to Adjudicator but in a form of Greatwood.

Also, speedrunning shouldn't even be considered, sorry. It is a very niche category, and if you take their needs into consideration, you should satisfy the need of people like me, cause we are also a minotiry.

Lastly, you achieve high replay value with other features. You add new stuff for ng+, you add stuff like tendencies for new playthroughs. Tendencies actually added new content depending on how you play. Does DS3 add new content depending on how many times you've died? It does add a secret ending. Does it give you something for clearing the game without dying? Nothing.
I don't think we will agree on this. For one I do think the games evolved massively. And this is because I've been playing DS again.

SailusGebel

I don't think we will agree on this. For one I do think the games evolved massively. And this is because I've been playing DS again.
They did in their requirments of muscle memory. How Yhorm differs from a Storm King? You can kill Yhorm without the sword. What else?

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
They did in their requirments of muscle memory. How Yhorm differs from a Storm King? You can kill Yhorm without the sword. What else?
Yhorm was more like a fanfair than anything. You simply need to look at the gank bosses. Crystal Sage, Abyss Watchers, the two demon princes. The ones that didn't evolve area rarity like Yhorm.

SailusGebel

Yhorm was more like a fanfair than anything. You simply need to look at the gank bosses. Crystal Sage, Abyss Watchers, the two demon princes. The ones that didn't evolve area rarity like Yhorm.
Now I see, I wasn't able to properly explain my point. Welp, I doubt I will be able to explain it any better.

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
To me souls games are still fun. After beating Sekiro and DS2 (no leveling up Adaptability because I played blind), I find Elden Ring just challenging enough.

Time for a more controversial take: you're playing the game wrong if you're grinding to beat a boss (and not having fun doing it). The game's an open world. You're supposed to level up organically as you explore (unless you lose your runes, in which case the game more than compensates more runes.) I came into the game with that mindset and had a lot of fun.

DS3 bosses are amazing. The levels are a bit bullshit though. I can't recall any DS3 bosses that I find to be utterly bullshit - most of them are either super hard (in a good way) or piss easy. My fav boss is Champion Gundyr btw. I don't get the Gael hype at all. Twin princes are pretty fun also. I came in expecting the teleportation to be pure bullshit but it actually makes the fight a lot better.

ER DLC bosses are even better. I enjoyed all of them (expect for Bayle for some reason.)

Daitengu

I STILL have most of the Armored Core games from PS1 and PS2. FromSoftware games have been difficult for decades to me. Souls games are just the same difficulty in a different shape.

DannyTheDaikon

I came here to laugh at you
I'm dropping soulslike games because theres too much tryhard and not enough fun. ER especially became unfun in the later areas.
ER started really good and then it was like they completely forgot what game they were making. Basically every mechanic introduced in early zones got dropped and back to the same old experience. Just even more grindy than DS3

Poleg

King of the birds and the fish.
DS 2 is hard in a sense that it is always swarms of regular enemies, even bosses are like that. Some "hard" bosses will be easy if you take away the regular enemies or simply don't make them a gank squad.
Really feels like someone accidentily pressed ctrl + v and forgot to delete the excess enemies.

Poleg

King of the birds and the fish.
Make the world matter, make it more than your levelling ground. Don't make one boss like that out of 20. Make 5 bosses like Nameless King, and the rest are not simply Wolnir or Ancient Wyvern, but all require a different strategy. Here you need to break special barrels to make the boss vulnerable, here you need to evade his attacks with the help of columns or something, here the boss is easy but your inputs got inverted. I don't know, I'm not a game designer.
I liked that they added the Item for mohg and morgott. Wish they had done more like this, where items can influence a Boss fight, even if it would be small stuff like malikeths extra dialog.

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
Huh...

I remember when I first started my Dark Souls journey was with Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (I know a lot of you hate this game and that's fine. You do you and I do me.)

I spent 2 hours on fighting the first boss, The Last Giant and cursed the game for being too hard but i learned how the game worked and how the bosses fight. I loved it soon after. I even created 2 characters who are lvl 151 Battle Mage (STR and INT Build) and a lvl 256 Warrior (Pure STR build). I also spent 2 months on grinding the heck on collecting boss souls that I had like 20+ of them.

Now, the soulsborne franchise has always been a test of endurance, skill, timing and luck. The bosses are meant to be a boss rush. They want you to DIE constantly and punish you for even the slightest mistake. Imo, this feature is what makes those games fun. The constant struggle, the masochistic tendency to constantly play the game to defeat the boss and the feeling of bliss when you finally clap that mf after a shit ton of deaths is so satisfying. I mean WHY would they create something that you can speedrun in 1 or 2 days when the game is marketed for being a difficult game to play?

I know some of you won't agree with this and that's fine. You have your own opinion and i have mine.