Interesting tidbits from the internet.

Cold_Sun

#4. You know there is a stereotypical expression that Canadians apologize for everything? Well, I don't know if there is any truth to that, but in 2009 they did pass a law in Ontario, Canada to make sure saying Sorry cannot be used in court as an expression of guilt.
I present to you the APOLOGY ACT, 2009

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
3 digit can be anything from 100 to 999. :blob_hmm:
If you take it out of context like you did, then even 3.14 is 3 digits.

too smart to his own good. he tried hard so much he broke through the spectrum and went back to the mental square one

that was a commercial, I am pretty sure that it was not bruce lee in that video lol. I wouldn't put it behind him to master such a skill and be just as good if not better lol :T

Wahahaha! You're right.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
You accuse me of crime you are committing yourself supported by fallacious arguments. This is called hypocrisy.:blob_evil_two:

Nah, 'tis called small talk.

The original context was IQ so the range for 3-digit IQ is 100 to 300.

Although you quoted me, your actual reply will make people think of integers.

I just followed on your humor with 3.14. I'm sorry if you found the "out of context" descriptor offensive.

If I got any of it wrong, please enlighten me. I'll try not to make similar mistakes again.

Assurbanipal_II

Nah, 'tis called small talk.

The original context was IQ so the range for 3-digit IQ is 100 to 300.

Although you quoted me, your actual reply will make people think of integers.

I just followed on your humor with 3.14. I'm sorry if you found the "out of context" descriptor offensive.

If I got any of it wrong, please enlighten me. I'll try not to make similar mistakes again.

Oh, nothing, 3.14 is just completely out of context.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
#4. You know there is a stereotypical expression that Canadians apologize for everything? Well, I don't know if there is any truth to that, but in 2009 they did pass a law in Ontario, Canada to make sure saying Sorry cannot be used in court as an expression of guilt.
Well... That's something~

Assurbanipal_II

Common law ...

such a strange juridical system.

Cold_Sun

Common law ...

such a strange juridical system.
Technically Apology act would be an instance of Civil Law. Common law is law derived from customs and case laws.

But common law is funny too. They generally state the obvious so intensely. (for an interesting read, check R vs. Lipman where the court finally realised intoxicating yourself cannot get you off murder )

Assurbanipal_II

Technically Apology act would be an instance of Civil Law. Common law is law derived from customs and case laws.

But common law is funny too. They generally state the obvious so intensely. (for an interesting read, checkR vs. Lipman where the court finally realised intoxicating yourself cannot get you off murder )

1590240317269.png

Well, we civil lawyers use the term "common law" to denote the Anglosaxonian law family regardless of whether it is statutory law or case law while civil law is reserved to the continental law traditions.

It is only strange because this apology describes in civil law what is commonly known as confession. The thing is though that the "apology" in the act does neither fulfil the objective nor subjective criteria to qualify as a confession (written form of any such declaration is required as well if extrajudicial) according to Italian civil law.

That is so funny about this act, that it is completely redundant as no sane civil law judge of this world would ever consider basing civil responsibility on a simple apology.

Assurbanipal_II

Interesting, common law is only used by ex-English colonies. Nobody else uses it.

Cold_Sun

View attachment 2727

Well, we civil lawyers use the term "common law" to denote the Anglosaxonian law family regardless of whether it is statutory law or case law while civil law is reserved to the continental law traditions.

It is only strange because this apology describes in civil law what is commonly known as confession. The thing is though that the "apology" in the act does neither fulfil the objective nor subjective criteria to qualify as a confession (written form of any such declaration is required as well if extrajudicial) according to Italian civil law.

That is so funny about this act, that it is completely redundant as no sane civil law judge of this world would ever consider basing civil responsibility on a simple apology.

I was speaking from more of a jurisprudence stand-point.
This is a dead letter and I don't see any real application of the same in any court. Confession even in common law origin country like or hybrid institutions like in mine has specific procedures that need to be fulfilled to constitute evidence in court.

Cold_Sun

Interesting, common law is only used by ex-English colonies. Nobody else uses it.
Common law did originate and spread with the British Empire, so it makes sense. But even UK now isn't strictly a common law nation.

Assurbanipal_II

This is a dead letter and I don't see any real application of the same in any court. Confession even in common law origin country like or hybrid institutions like in mine has specific procedures that need to be fulfilled to constitute evidence in court.

I am relieved. It seems crazy that you need a specific act to say sorry.:blob_evil_two:

Assurbanipal_II

Common law did originate and spread with the British Empire, so it makes sense. But even UK now isn't strictly a common law nation.

Thanks to the glorious EU. But joke aside, the common law/ civil law divide is more about certain legal principles and doctrinal aspects. And even in civil law there a strong difference between the French and German law family. :blob_evil_two:

For example, Japan initially adopted the code Napoleon, but later changed to German system after the BGB was introduced as Germany was regarded as the height of western jurisprudence back then. South Korea, China, Taiwan, they all chose the German civil law at the end of the 19th century.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
What a law student answer. :blobspearpeek:

Cold_Sun

What a law student answer. :blobspearpeek:
I was speaking from more of a jurisprudence (philosophy of law) stand-point.
This is a dead letter (non-applicable) law and I don't see any real application of the same in any court.
Confession even in common law origin country like or hybrid institutions like in mine has specific procedures that need to be fulfilled to constitute evidence in court.
Please don't unleash your degen army on me Alv :blob_no: