Interesting tidbits from the internet.

Cold_Sun

Well I think its fare to say 2020 has left us with some unexpected free time. Instead of doing something productive, I found something much more rewarding to do, go down random searches on the net (happens even without the lockdown :| ).

So, I decided to share the interesting tidbits I find with everyone. I will post new ones whenever I find something new.

So today's tidbit:

Political scandals usually always have the suffix "-gate" added. Why?
(Bridgegate,Jowellgate, Harbourgate, etc. )

It all started with the Watergate scandal in USA (which led to eventual resignation of Nixon). A building was robbed which started the entire investigation and that building was "Watergate Office Building"

Also, if anyone else finds interesting facts and such, please do leave them here as well.

Polarize4777

Well that was a fun tidbit, my piece would be that some cats are allergic to human, and if you are a cat lover, rest in peace if you found your perfect cat but it has that symptom.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
When you feed dogs, they think you are god.
When you feed cats, they know they are gods.

When you look at a gate, the gate looks back at you. It is lonely.

Cold_Sun

This product was an accidental invention when the research to make a super adhesive for building planes failed. What is this famous product?

POST-IT NOTES: The research to make a super adhesive ended with a weak glue that peeled off easily. And then marketing came along...

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
This product was an accidental invention when the research to make a super adhesive for building planes failed. What is this famous product?

POST-IT NOTES: The research to make a super adhesive ended with a weak glue that peeled off easily. And then marketing came along...
Remember guys, with marketing, even failures like us could succeed

Ral

Post-it notes?

Well, I got it right.

Ral

Well, I try to add a tidbit.

How about Vantablack? It is the blackest material know. It absorbs 99.96% of the light that falls on it. It is so black that people perceived it as a cut out or a black hole in space.

Last edited:

Ral

Here is a weird thing. Still physics.

Hold a tennis racket at its handle, with its face being horizontal, and try to throw it in the air so that it will perform a full rotation around the horizontal axis perpendicular to the handle, and try to catch the handle. In almost all cases, during that rotation the face will also have completed a half rotation, so that the other face is now up.

The same effect but in a more spectacular fashion is demonstrated in this video:

i think i once stumbled an article about an adolescent ritual of certain primitive tribesman

it was said an adolescent boy need to drink a sperm of an adult man as the part of the ritual, before they're finally be proclaimed as an adult.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Well I think its fare to say 2020 has left us with some unexpected free time. Instead of doing something productive, I found something much more rewarding to do, go down random searches on the net (happens even without the lockdown :| ).

So, I decided to share the interesting tidbits I find with everyone. I will post new ones whenever I find something new.

So today's tidbit:

Political scandals usually always have the suffix "-gate" added. Why?
(Bridgegate,Jowellgate, Harbourgate, etc. )

It all started with the Watergate scandal in USA (which led to eventual resignation of Nixon). A building was robbed which started the entire investigation and that building was "Watergate Office Building"

Also, if anyone else finds interesting facts and such, please do leave them here as well.
Oh my... Thanks for sharing, I'd never have guessed that! XD

Here's to hoping we all get more productive though! >.<

Cold_Sun

Found my a man in 1991 while searching for food and timber, but forgot the route when he reached back home. It took him 18-years to find the place again.
It is the largest of its kind and home to the Great Wall of Vietnam. There is a river flowing within it with a nearly two year waiting list to visit it.
What is this place?

Hang Sơn Đoòng
It is the largest cave in the world.
Just check the images in google, you won't regret it. Google Images Link

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
The Watergate scandal being a weird and surprising bit of trivia has really made me feel old. I feel like there's definitely like a dividing line where you can tell someone's age when you ask, "Hey, what does "deep throat" mean?" and if they giggle, they're baby.

Deep Throat is the pseudonym given to the secret informant who provided information in 1972 to Bob Woodward, who shared it with Carl Bernstein. Woodward and Bernstein were reporters for The Washington Post, and Deep Throat provided key details about the involvement of U.S. President Richard Nixon's administration in what came to be known as the Watergate scandal. The term "deep throat" is now a colloquial term for an anonymous informant with crucial information to conspiracies and scandals.
oh yes baby deep throat me good

Operation Northwoods is a plan that called for CIA to commit genuine acts of terrorism in U.S. cities and elsewhere. These acts of terrorism were to be blamed on Cuba in order to create public support for a war against that nation, which had recently become communist under Fidel Castro.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
*giggle* *giggle *gargle*
Ooh, Password: Swordfish

Despite my 3-digit IQ, I don't understand a lot of things ... like conspiracy theories.

Polarize4777

Sort of inspired by Ral's post (not the Vantablack one).

that was a commercial, I am pretty sure that it was not bruce lee in that video lol. I wouldn't put it behind him to master such a skill and be just as good if not better lol :T

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
The Watergate scandal being a weird and surprising bit of trivia has really made me feel old. I feel like there's definitely like a dividing line where you can tell someone's age when you ask, "Hey, what does "deep throat" mean?" and if they giggle, they're baby.

Deep Throat is the pseudonym given to the secret informant who provided information in 1972 to Bob Woodward, who shared it with Carl Bernstein. Woodward and Bernstein were reporters for The Washington Post, and Deep Throat provided key details about the involvement of U.S. President Richard Nixon's administration in what came to be known as the Watergate scandal. The term "deep throat" is now a colloquial term for an anonymous informant with crucial information to conspiracies and scandals.
Well... I never saw the usage within your spoiler... >.>