In this particular platform, are most readers really so silent?

PandaSempai

So, I'm a fanfiction author who only have around 10 chapters(with 20,000k words) under my belt. I came from a different platform where readers mostly rule. Why rule? Well, they are mostly unreasonable and toxic. It got to a point where readers ruin some aspiring authors as they just throw their selfish desires towards the author and bash them if something like a plot twist happen. As a result, some authors would bend to their whims and lose the grip that they had on THEIR stories. Heck, there was even an instance where a really popular up and coming fanfic got bombarded by 1 star reviews.

At the start, the reviews were just plenty, maybe around 100 or so. After one chapter. I mean, LITERALLY just ONE CHAPTER! The author got bombarded with 500+ hate reviews from the readers. It was just honestly so painful to watch. There were even some people who would call you out just because you gave that particual novel a good review. Haha, humans.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic here. Like what the thread's title suggest, I just want to know if readers here are innately good at lurking around and staying quiet. I mean, I experienced talking for about 2 hours with my readers at the said 'other platform' just two days after releasing 3 or so chapters.

There's also the lack of reviews here but I guess that should be discussed in another thread, right? Oh, for comparison. A reader in the said 'other platform' would review a novel after reading even a single chap. Not to mention, they are completely biased. Hey, they don't even give a single useful feedback. Only a select few does.

PandaSempai

Hahaha. Ifvyou a
O.o I see. Sounds like free advertisement for my stories if feedback is so easy to get there. Will check it out.
It is really easy to get views there. Well, if you are a fanfic writer that is. I mean, I have 600k+ views there after releasing 30 chapters + 5 Omakes. However, the downside of going to that platform is that the readers are completely unreasonable and selfish. Also, it should be mentioned that building a fanbase there as an Original Author is really hard as your story gets buried under a pile of translated BS xianshit novels from Qidian.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
There's a similar thread going on currently, with people sharing their insight and opinion about the thing you mentioned, so you can also check it out HERE.

From my own experience, the community here is much quieter and less reactive, but that does not mean it's stale and doesn't enjoy your work. Many people come here to read in peace, check out some stuff and not exactly to engage in a deep conversation with others. The good side of that is, that there are less haters, trolls and entitled people who will try to force their ideas and views on an author. Here, when you don't like it, you usually just drop the thing and move on onto another. There are rare cases of people getting low star rankings due to hate or smth after something happens in the story, but when you feel like it was just by pure hate or troll, you can submit a report to have it removed. The spam reviews happen once in a while, mostly when some story gets popular.

Most people review after a good amount of content since it's hard to judge after just a few chapters. In my recent story release case, I actually received a few comments praising the beginning, which was already something highly over the usual expectations of how active people are. I don't expect to receive a review, honestly, ever. And I don't mind.

Here, you can expect a more peaceful existence of your story. That's why I started publishing here and not on the other platforms. I write for people to enjoy the stuff I enjoy writing about, and not to change every small thing someone might not like. Engaging with people who give real feedback and not just hate is really rewarding.

ForestDweller

I'm from Webnovel. The... Ummm... Bastard son of Qidian?

100 reviews? Seriously? I post my story there as well and I only got 13 reviews so far. And ironically, I got better ratings there and here, even though the complains are also more vocal there.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Hahaha. Ifvyou a
It is really easy to get views there. Well, if you are a fanfic writer that is. I mean, I have 600k+ views there after releasing 30 chapters + 5 Omakes. However, the downside of going to that platform is that the readers are completely unreasonable and selfish. Also, it should be mentioned that building a fanbase there as an Original Author is really hard as your story gets buried under a pile of translated BS xianshit novels from Qidian.

Interesting. O.o Btw, one of my stories is a fanfic. And I coincidentally edit it currently. I see a chance.

PandaSempai

100 reviews? Seriously? I post my story there as well and I only got 13 reviews so far. And ironically, I got better ratings there and here, even though the complains are also more vocal there.
Fanfic section just gets that much attention. You can literally see those new and popular novels getting 50+ reviews after publishing 20 or so chapters.

ForestDweller

Here, you can expect more peaceful existence of your story. That's why I started publishing here and not on the other platforms. I write for people to enjoy the stuff I enjoy writing about, and not to change every small thing someone might not like. Engaging with people who give real feedback and not just hate is really rewarding.

This site is my main because it has Glossary, which I use extensively. Webnovel has no formatting capabilities, which is just dumb.

Fanfic section just gets that much attention. You can literally see a those new and popular novels getting 50+ reviews after publishing 20 or so chapters.

Ah, too bad writing fanfics just make me feel chained down by canon. Don't have the freedom I got with my own original setting.

PandaSempai

Yeah, t
There's a similar thread going on currently, with people sharing their insight and opinion about the thing you mentioned, so you can also check it out HERE.

From my own experience, the community here is much quieter and less reactive, but that does not mean it's stale and doesn't enjoy your work. Many people come here to read in peace, check out some stuff and not exactly to engage in a deep conversation with others. The good side of that is, that there are less haters, trolls and entitled people who will try to force their ideas and views on an author. Here, when you don't like it, you usually just drop the thing and move on onto another. There are rare cases of people getting low star rankings due to hate or smth after something happens in the story, but when you feel like it was just by pure hate or troll, you can submit a report to have it removed. The spam reviews happen once in a while, mostly when some story gets popular.

Most people review after a good amount of content since it's hard to judge after just a few chapters. In my recent story release case, I actually received a few comments praising the beginning, which was already something highly over the usual expectations of how active people are. I don't expect to receive a review, honestly, ever. And I don't mind.

Here, you can expect a more peaceful existence of your story. That's why I started publishing here and not on the other platforms. I write for people to enjoy the stuff I enjoy writing about, and not to change every small thing someone might not like. Engaging with people who give real feedback and not just hate is really rewarding.
Yup, that is definitely a plus. However, for a person like me who got used to that rowdy atmosphere, it just felt so eerie. Hahaha

PandaSempai

This site is my main because it has Glossary, which I use extensively. Webnovel has no formatting capabilities, which is just dumb.

Ah, too bad writing fanfics just make me feel chained down by canon. Don't have the freedom I got with my own original setting.
Ironically, I don't give a damn about cannon. That's what fanfics are for. To write your own interpretation of the anime you like! Well, it has to be mentioned that only a select few g out of their way to create their own plot about an existing story.

PandaSempai

Interesting. O.o Btw, one of my stories is a fanfic. And I coincidentally edit it currently. I see a chance.
You got to get used to the rowdy atmosphere there. The readers there are just so vocal about their own desires and such there. Hahaha

PandaSempai

O.o Rowdy? If you look around here on the forum, I am one of the rowdiest writers myself.
Not the kind of rowdy in here. I mean, they don't see the problem of calling you shit for writing a 'trash' story there. Do note that they would still go out of their way to do this even though you've put multiple warning signs about the story being what it is. It's almost stupid.

D

Deleted member 29316

Also, it should be mentioned that building a fanbase there as an Original Author is really hard as your story gets buried under a pile of translated BS xianshit novels from Qidian.

I could relate to this situation. My original novel's updated to its 96th chapter in WebNovel, and so far, I got 4 reviews, and 240+ readers.

There are some interactions, but yeah, I'm used to solitude.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Not the kind of rowdy in here. I mean, they don't see the problem of calling you shit for writing a 'trash' story there. Do note that they would still go out of their way to do this even those you've put multiple warning signs about the story being what it is. It's almost stupid.

=^.^= That is only even more tempting. I never put up warning signs for anything.

PandaSempai

I could relate to this situation. My original novel's updated to its 96th chapter in WebNovel, and so far, I got 4 reviews, and 240+ readers.

There are some interactions, but yeah, I'm used to solitude.
Damn, that just sound so sad. I mean, readers here are just too peaceful and are generally not vocal. Also, I think there's a need for creating some kind of ranking for new novels or something? I mean, to expose new authors and new works? Hmmm...

D

Deleted member 29316

Not the kind of rowdy in here. I mean, they don't see the problem of calling you shit for writing a 'trash' story there. Do note that they would still go out of their way to do this even though you've put multiple warning signs about the story being what it is. It's almost stupid.
I also experienced getting nitpicked there, but the nitpicker eventually gave up when he realized he's wasting his and my time because I could answer his issues (and most of those is because he didn't properly read the chapter).

D

Deleted member 29316

Damn, that just sound so sad. I mean, readers here are just too peaceful and are generally not vocal. Also, I think there's a need for creating some kind of ranking for new novels or something? I mean, to expose new authors and new works? Hmmm...
Nah. It's fine by me.

My story's not for the 'aggressive' and/or 'edgy' readers anyway.

Though honestly, I'm thinking of releasing my next volumes here, exclusively, so as to conserve my time (I'm lazy when it comes to formattting chapters)