In this particular platform, are most readers really so silent?

PandaSempai

I also experienced getting nitpicked there, but the nitpicker eventually gave up when he realized he's wasting his and my time because I could answer his issues (and most of those is because he didn't properly read the chapter).
I could relate to that. Most of the readers there would nitpick at something I wrote. It was great that they are nitpicking at something I wrote since I honestly want to see if I did something wrong in my story. However, most of the time, they would ask some questions that should've been answered if they only read the novel carefully.

D

Deleted member 29316

I could relate to that. Most of the readers there would nitpick at something I wrote. It was great that they are nitpicking at something I wrote since I honestly want to see if I did something wrong in my story. However, most of the time, they would ask some questions that should've been answered if they only read the novel carefully.
Well, it's fine to ask questions as long as it's got a legit basis.

But if you ask just to annoy someone, or try to show that the work is sh*t (and make the author look like an idiot), I don't think I'd agree to that.

That's why the fellow who did that to me eventually deleted his nitpicking comments and questions. I was able to answer them logically and with basis.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So, I'm a fanfiction author who only have around 10 chapters(with 20,000k words) under my belt. I came from a different platform where readers mostly rule. Why rule? Well, they are mostly unreasonable and toxic. It got to a point where readers ruin some aspiring authors as they just throw their selfish desires towards the author and bash them if something like a plot twist happen. As a result, some authors would bend to their whims and lose the grip that they had on THEIR stories. Heck, there was even an instance where a really popular up and coming fanfic got bombarded by 1 star reviews.

At the start, the reviews were just plenty, maybe around 100 or so. After one chapter. I mean, LITERALLY just ONE CHAPTER! The author got bombarded with 500+ hate reviews from the readers. It was just honestly so painful to watch. There were even some people who would call you out just because you gave that particual novel a good review. Haha, humans.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic here. Like what the thread's title suggest, I just want to know if readers here are innately good at lurking around and staying quiet. I mean, I experienced talking for about 2 hours with my readers at the said 'other platform' just two days after releasing 3 or so chapters.

There's also the lack of reviews here but I guess that should be discussed in another thread, right? Oh, for comparison. A reader in the said 'other platform' would review a novel after reading even a single chap. Not to mention, they are completely biased. Hey, they don't even give a single useful feedback. Only a select few does.
Dont worry the community here is good you wont be getting much, if any, of that bullshit.

But just direct me to the place where this toxicity is running rampant so i can put down those whiny little bitches. Daddy here gon pelt some asses with 100% genuine leather

Also those authors are weak. Imma just say that right now. You cant always bend to readers. Its YOUR story. If its getting derailed, its no one's fault but yours cuz you been simping for a buncha attention whores. People gotta grow a pair. Learn how to say, "why dont you bite my shiny metal ass instead?"

Judge

From my time using this site, most people just start expressing their opinion if the author asks for it. I am almost scared of commenting something beyond 'Thanks for the chapter' and a emote because, I mean, the story is something the author created and if he changed it because of a troll comment made for the jukes it would be bad.

D

Deleted member 29316

Dont worry the community here is good you wont be getting much, if any, of that bullshit.

But just direct me to the place where this toxicity is running rampant so i can put down those whiny little bitches. Daddy here gon pelt some asses with 100% genuine leather

Also those authors are weak. Imma just say that right now. You cant always bend to readers. Its YOUR story. If its getting derailed, its no one's fault but yours cuz you been simping for a buncha attention whores. People gotta grow a pair. Learn how to say, "why dont you bite my shiny metal ass instead?"
I agree to this. So long as you know what direction your story's going to take, you'll be fine.

Most of non-technical reviews depends on the culture of the reviewer anyway. Like, what may seem to be dumb or dense to Westerners are actually sensible and logical to the culture you're basing your story.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I agree to this. So long as you know what direction your story's going to take, you'll be fine.

Most of non-technical reviews depends on the culture of the reviewer anyway. Like, what may seem to be dumb or dense to Westerners are actually sensible and logical to the culture you're basing your story.
its often going to come down to personal taste in reviews. Unfortunately few people give unbiased and thorough ones. But sometimes in places like that you just have to tell them, " fuck off its my story i do whatever the fuck i want with it"

Otherwise they walk all over you. If you are scared of backlash then you have to decide one of two thing, do you care more about sacrificing the story you had in mind just to appease a few cunts, or are you gonna risk failing to earn recognition to preserve your vision?

Last edited:

PandaSempai

Hahaha. Those people are from Webnovel. If your novel happen to catch the attention of those, and I quote, "whiny little bitches", they will come flocking to your story and whine at the slightest thing that they don't like. Well, of course, there are also some cool people there.

PandaSempai

From my time using this site, most people just start expressing their opinion if the author asks for it. I am almost scared of commenting something beyond 'Thanks for the chapter' and a emote because, I mean, the story is something the author created and if he changed it because of a troll comment made for the jukes it would be bad.
Well, the situation there was mostly because it got infested with rowdy otakus who wanted to act like some professional novel connoisseurs. Not to mention that those guys are inherently unreasonable. They're more unreasonable than most of the girls I know. Hahaha

D

Deleted member 29316

Strange though, I experienced all of these in RoyalRoad, than in WebNovel.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Meh. I only ever add stuff due to comments. My original ideas dont really change but i will provide a but of fan service or take an idea and go "it was my idea all along to do that~"" and slap hands with them in spirit.

That said i kinda get sick of seeing the thanks for the chapter comments. Its all in good will but its just one of those things you get tired of. I go check out the comment and wonder what its about when i get the alert, then get disappointed and feel i wasted seconds of my life cuz its just a thank you.

I never complain about them tho and always give them a like.

Maple_Mrch

I rarely gave any comment after reading in this site, because I come only to enjoy the story (that I have interest in).
As for a review, well, it's hard for me to give a review if the story still yet reach half to the end.

PandaSempai

its often going to come down to personal taste in reviews. Unfortunately few people give unbiased and thorough ones. But sometimes in places like that you just have to tell them, " fuck off its my story i do whatever the fuck i want with it"

Otherwise they walk all over you. If you are scared of backlash then you habe to decide one of two thing, do you care more about sacrificing the stroy you had in mind just to appease a few cunts, or are you gonna risk failing to earn recognition to preserve your vision?
I agree. And, let's face it. You can't please everybody. Unless that 'everybody' is you, you won't be able to cater to everyone's tastes. In the end, people have their own preferences.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Hahaha. Those people are from Webnovel. If your novel happen to catch the attention of those, and I quote, "whiny little bitches", they will come flocking to your story and whine at the slightest thing that they don't like. Well, of course, there are also some cool people there.
Oh shit really? Well, i do post my story there. But i guess its different cuz mine isnt a fanfiction. Never had any bad feedback personally. Not more than the average.

PandaSempai

Meh. I only ever add stuff due to comments. My original ideas dont really change but i will provide a but of fan service or take an idea and go "it was my idea all along to do that~"" and slap hands with them in spirit.

That said i kinda get sick of seeing the thanks for the chapter comments. Its all in good will but its just one of those things you get tired of. I go check out the comment and wonder what its about when i get the alert, then get disappointed and feel i wasted seconds of my life cuz its just a thank you.

I never complain about them tho and always give them a like.
I totally get that feeling. A few days ago, I got my very first comment from a reader. I was really excited to know what it was so I clicked it immediately. However, I was bound to get utterly disappointed as the comment was just about the reader thanking me for a chapter.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I agree. And, let's face it. You can't please everybody. Unless that 'everybody' is you, you won't be able to cater to everyone's tastes. In the end, people have their own preferences.
Exactly. So you cant worry about them so much. Authors fail mainly because they dont understand that, then let themselves either cater to thenreaders whims or fall into giving up on the story due to the bad feedback.

Authors give too much of a fuck. I don't recommend that

Leti

I rarely gave any comment after reading in this site, because I come only to enjoy the story (that I have interest in).
As for a review, well, it's hard for me to give a review if the story still yet reach half to the end.
I second that.

PandaSempai

Oh shit really? Well, i do post my story there. But i guess its different cuz mine isnt a fanfiction. Never had any bad feedback personally. Not more than the average.
Fanfic section is just infested with those people. It's kinda like going into war when you're about to post a chapter. You have to wear a full kevlar vest and helmet so that you are ready for those blasted hate comments. Thankfully, I have yet to write a single 'controversial' chapter. Haha

PandaSempai

Well, many of the readers from where I come from does literally what you do but many of them also likes to be vocal about how they feel.