To People Who Review Stories That Ain't Their Preferred Genre

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
This sounds much like a luxury problem. :blobtaco: To get such reviews you obviously need ... reviews to begin. Considering that the vast majority of stories here on scribble have barely any reviews at all, your anger seems misplaced.

I give you the same advice the wise forum gave me on a similar matter, grew a thicker skin! The solution for everything.
lol the review wasn't for me it was for a wank material i was gonna use. My reviews tend to either be "this is what god would write if he was high and dropped the Bible: Anime Edition" or "I use this to wipe my ass so i guess its not entirely useless." but i don't complain either way.

Apparently, the usual defense for this is "If you only review what you like then you can't potentially expand your interests and will be a worse judge of the things you do like," or something like that. I remember Dunky did a video defending reviewing JRPGs even though he hates them and always gives them low scores with logic similar to that, and now everybody falls back onto that. And I mean, I kind of get it. If you read/watch/play something that is outside of your comfort zone, you're just as entitled to review it as anybody else who actually read/watched/played it. As long as you at least try to have an open mind and aren't just 1-starring it the second you see it out of genre hate, it's just as legitimate as all the people who blindly 5-star everything they even slightly like due to positive genre bias.

That being said.

If anybody wants to leave a review on something, whether it's positive or negative, they should put more effort into it than only saying "Not my cup of tea" or "best thing ever very nice." Also, I fully believe that people should primarily focus on what they do like rather than what they don't like. As often as I hear the above logic I mentioned for people trying things they don't like, I've never heard of it actually having an impact on the people who use that excuse. To each their own but, when there's so much fucking content available on the internet for us that fits our tastes, why bother with the stuff that we know doesn't? Does purposely choosing to have a probably-bad time really make enjoying the good times better or more meaningful? Do you have to punch yourself in the face every now and then to remind yourself what it feels like to be in pain so that you can appreciate not being in pain?

On the bright side, when somebody leaves such a low-effort review like that where they make their bias clear, that makes it far, far easier to discredit their opinion as worthless. If somebody just leaves a 1-star rating on a story without a review attached, you have no idea if it's just out of hate or because of legitimate reasons. When somebody attaches a review like that to it, though, then it's much more obvious you shouldn't give a fuck about the score they gave it.
i mean that argument seems to fall apart if you have already tried something and found you didn't like it. I don't know why people have to "expand their horizons" either like its bad not to. Its good, but not like necessary. In any case, yeah. Dont just leave vague bullshit. And if you really hate some aspect of a story, which is a huge part of it from the get go, then don't be a cunt by focusing on that one thing and calling it trash solely because of it. You can, but realize imma have to call you out on it for being an unreasonable prick. I dont mind if you hate something but go, "but i understand the appeal for some people, its just not for me." and try to give an unbiased review tho. Thats fine.

Like if someone doesn't like rape hentai, but can see, "well but i know the appeal for a lot of people is the aspect of...corruption, of the violation, of the heroines." then thats an unbiased understanding of why people may like those kind of hentai. You dont have to like something yourself to understand the reasons someone else might like it, after all. People can have opinions, i just dunno why they'd bother writing it in the review section of a story if all they are gonna say is that they hated ONE ASPECT of it. Like, why ? Why do they feel the need to put it there, or all places? It offers nothing. I wouldn't complain if it was somewhere else, but its especially annoying see it in the reviews.

That said i think a few people think this is about seeing a review in one of MY stories. But nah i dont care about bad reviews. I have enough confidence in my writing skills to not care about anyone just trash talking my stuff. I WILL take constructive criticism tho.

Hm. But then again, like...do you ever feel that these "faults" people point out are just due to the writing style you use for that particular story? My most popular work is like that, for example. It not written "well" in a traditional sense and is very chaotic, but the point is just to have fun with it. So you have to wonder whether people understand that or not. Like sometimes these failings they point out are just due to the story's nature, i feel? I wrote an alternate version of the story--tho its not very far along and only has two chapters differing from the original right now--but because of how more grounded it is and how i wrote it, the thing reads like something entirely different especially compared to the original's later chapters. I dunno.

I think there's an important distinction to be made here: People reading, rating, and reviewing stories in a genre they actively dislike or even hate is, IMO, pretty stupid. On the other hand, I can't bring myself to see people who are reading, rating, and reviewing stories in a genre that is not necessarily their preferred (which I'd read as: not their favorite) genre as stupid since just because something is not what you normally prefer, that doesn't instantly mean you hate it.

Like, personally, you normally only ever see me read BL. It's definitely my preferred genre. I still read het romances every once in a while and I don't even mind reading stories outside of romance (e.g., I loved TKA, the author's just great) even though that isn't my preferred genre at all. BL still is.
Now, if I did bother to review such stories (honestly though, I often don't and only leave comments and/or ratings :blob_sweat: ), I don't think that's stupid. Even if I disliked one of those stories, I don't feel it's stupid to rate/review because, well, I read it and just happened to not like it?

I get that it's incredibly frustrating as an author/translator to get bad reviews, especially if you see the person isn't a fan of the genre and seldom reads it. But those people should IMO still be able to put their opinion out there. Why? Because it helps other readers decide whether they'd like the story or not. After all, taste is a personal thing. Like, if somebody mentions they disliked aspect X of the story and another reader knows they hate X with a passion, then the review might make them stay away (and thus maybe preventing another bad rating). On the other hand, people who like X might even decide because of this review that they want to give the story a try and will even like it in the end (and write a good review for you, if you're lucky ~).
Also, don't forget here: Some readers never read 5*-reviews and instead only look at the bad ones because they feel like 5* is too biased and they want to see what the fuck is wrong with the story. That could be to your advantage. Naturally, the requirement for that is people stating clearly what exactly they disliked about the story.

Also, several people have mentioned that readers don't look at the genre (or tags, I often see that accusation around as well as an argument for the reader's stupidity) and should actually know what to expect. But: You can choose quite a number of genres on SH (also on NU, I guess). Not all those genres will be in that story in equal parts. In fact, some of these genres might only become apparent in later parts of the story.
If a reader starts out and doesn't find what they were looking for (e.g., somebody reads for the romance but the first half of your series features the historical aspects much more), then I think it's legitimate that the reader is frustrated and voices that frustration in a review, mentioning the reason why they disliked it. Again: This warns other readers with a similar taste to stay away and tells readers with a different taste to come and read.
Adding onto this point: Readers might see the genre (or tag), have mixed feelings about reading the story but still give it a chance because they have the hope that the genre/tag won't take up too much space in the story or might be executed in a way they like despite normally not preferring the genre/tag. E.g., I know that I personally very often dislike stories that feature rape but I still read those with the corresponding tags because, frankly, it depends on the execution and the author might surprise me. I don't search for those stories but if I find a story with an interesting title and synopsis, I won't exclude it from my reading list just for that tag. I'll try and I might either be positively surprised or just end up with my worries verified.

TL;DR:
  1. There is a difference between a non-preferred genre and a hated genre and whether it's one or the other makes a difference in whether this should be considered stupid or not.
  2. A list of genres/tags doesn't necessarily say anything about the weight those genres/tags have in the story and when they start to appear.
  3. Bad reviews aren't always bad because they highlight points of your story that might tell readers to stay away or read based on whether or not they share the taste of the reviewer.

that's all well and good, I'm not saying you cant branch out of your preferred genres. I'm saying people can be unreasonable cunts about it though. They hate an intrinsic aspect about a story. An aspect that is clearly tagged, so you only have yourself to blame if you miss it. Then you bitch about it like this shit was made to appeal to you when it obviously wasn;t. Thats what i dont like. If you leave it in a comment section then i got nothing to moan about myself, but you have the AUDACITY to leave that shit in a review section? Well now we have some problems bud cuz thats just annoying to see. Fucking at least offer something more. Sure you dont like that one thing but why not talk about the GOOD bits that you'd have liked instead?

Its like hating a whole group for the actions of one. I didn't like being punished in school because AARON was being a cunt, and i dont like seeing that shit now. Its essentially the same concept, even if one is applied to a novel and the other is applied to people.

I mean me, i dont like BL much. I just dont find it very interesting to read whole story on it. But i ain't gonna bitch about it ever. I even like BL in light doses, if the dude are Hideyoshi enough. K

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I think there's an important distinction to be made here: People reading, rating, and reviewing stories in a genre they actively dislike or even hate is, IMO, pretty stupid. On the other hand, I can't bring myself to see people who are reading, rating, and reviewing stories in a genre that is not necessarily their preferred (which I'd read as: not their favorite) genre as stupid since just because something is not what you normally prefer, that doesn't instantly mean you hate it.

Like, personally, you normally only ever see me read BL. It's definitely my preferred genre. I still read het romances every once in a while and I don't even mind reading stories outside of romance (e.g., I loved TKA, the author's just great) even though that isn't my preferred genre at all. BL still is.
Now, if I did bother to review such stories (honestly though, I often don't and only leave comments and/or ratings :blob_sweat: ), I don't think that's stupid. Even if I disliked one of those stories, I don't feel it's stupid to rate/review because, well, I read it and just happened to not like it?

I get that it's incredibly frustrating as an author/translator to get bad reviews, especially if you see the person isn't a fan of the genre and seldom reads it. But those people should IMO still be able to put their opinion out there. Why? Because it helps other readers decide whether they'd like the story or not. After all, taste is a personal thing. Like, if somebody mentions they disliked aspect X of the story and another reader knows they hate X with a passion, then the review might make them stay away (and thus maybe preventing another bad rating). On the other hand, people who like X might even decide because of this review that they want to give the story a try and will even like it in the end (and write a good review for you, if you're lucky ~).
Also, don't forget here: Some readers never read 5*-reviews and instead only look at the bad ones because they feel like 5* is too biased and they want to see what the fuck is wrong with the story. That could be to your advantage. Naturally, the requirement for that is people stating clearly what exactly they disliked about the story.

Also, several people have mentioned that readers don't look at the genre (or tags, I often see that accusation around as well as an argument for the reader's stupidity) and should actually know what to expect. But: You can choose quite a number of genres on SH (also on NU, I guess). Not all those genres will be in that story in equal parts. In fact, some of these genres might only become apparent in later parts of the story.
If a reader starts out and doesn't find what they were looking for (e.g., somebody reads for the romance but the first half of your series features the historical aspects much more), then I think it's legitimate that the reader is frustrated and voices that frustration in a review, mentioning the reason why they disliked it. Again: This warns other readers with a similar taste to stay away and tells readers with a different taste to come and read.
Adding onto this point: Readers might see the genre (or tag), have mixed feelings about reading the story but still give it a chance because they have the hope that the genre/tag won't take up too much space in the story or might be executed in a way they like despite normally not preferring the genre/tag. E.g., I know that I personally very often dislike stories that feature rape but I still read those with the corresponding tags because, frankly, it depends on the execution and the author might surprise me. I don't search for those stories but if I find a story with an interesting title and synopsis, I won't exclude it from my reading list just for that tag. I'll try and I might either be positively surprised or just end up with my worries verified.

TL;DR:
  1. There is a difference between a non-preferred genre and a hated genre and whether it's one or the other makes a difference in whether this should be considered stupid or not.
  2. A list of genres/tags doesn't necessarily say anything about the weight those genres/tags have in the story and when they start to appear.
  3. Bad reviews aren't always bad because they highlight points of your story that might tell readers to stay away or read based on whether or not they share the taste of the reviewer.
What is TKA?

Discount_Blade

This sounds much like a luxury problem. :blobtaco: To get such reviews you obviously need ... reviews to begin. Considering that the vast majority of stories here on scribble have barely any reviews at all, your anger seems misplaced.

I give you the same advice the wise forum gave me on a similar matter, grew a thicker skin! The solution for everything.
Yeah. I've gotten a few PM's with people basically calling me every name in the book and a few I'm sure were either made up or foreign. Dunno what they mean. Don't sound pleasant though. Guess my opinions weren't welcome. Pretty sure that's becoming the norm though. Hence why I have pretty strict guidelines to whether I read something or not. I can't say its right that I do, and I likely miss a few gems here and there, but yeah.

Nyan_sempai

,✨ ILLUSTRATOR ✨
Definitely. People like that are just shallow assholes who in truth can't even propely give some helpful review or critique. If the story/art actually was crap and senseless, it's one thing. It will warn others before reading it.

Ace_Arriande

Hm. But then again, like...do you ever feel that these "faults" people point out are just due to the writing style you use for that particular story? My most popular work is like that, for example. It not written "well" in a traditional sense and is very chaotic, but the point is just to have fun with it. So you have to wonder whether people understand that or not. Like sometimes these failings they point out are just due to the story's nature, i feel? I wrote an alternate version of the story--tho its not very far along and only has two chapters differing from the original right now--but because of how more grounded it is and how i wrote it, the thing reads like something entirely different especially compared to the original's later chapters. I dunno.

Absolutely. My most controversial story is written as the fantasy autobiography of a dungeon core. People either absolutely love the style or hate it and think it's the worst trash ever. There is very, very little middle ground. The MC/narrator often goes off on random rambles like an old man getting distracted while telling some kids a story, teases the audience about things they don't know yet, directly addresses the reader, and so on. It was especially heavy in the beginning to desensitize people to it so that they understood the entire story would be written like this. That's all part of the style. Most of the negative reviews, of course, are based entirely off of them absolutely despising the style. Most of the reviews just straight-up hate the style. There are a couple, though, where they admit that they understand the purpose of the style and don't like it but think that it's executed wonderfully and thus give it a higher technical rating for that. One of the reviews gave it a 5-star rating for style despite not liking it but only a 2-star overall rating, which I thought was perfectly fair. They didn't like it but they understood what my intent was and respected that. And that's just the most obvious example. I get reviews all the time across all my stories from people who simply don't like my style and chalk it up to unintended, amateur writing rather than a deliberate style choice that I do because it's what I like. They can still dislike that if they want and rate me poorly for it if they so choose to, but when it comes specifically to the matter of people poorly rating things due to the style without realizing that's the point, I absolutely believe it happens.

Then again, when it comes to readers who are trying hundreds of different stories by different authors, I can't blame them for just chalking up specific style choices to amateur mistakes. It's not like we can expect them to understand each and every author's unique stylistic choices, and that's assuming the non-traditional parts of their styles are actually intended and not genuine mistakes.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Yeah. I've gotten a few PM's with people basically calling me every name in the book and a few I'm sure were either made up or foreign. Dunno what they mean. Don't sound pleasant though. Guess my opinions weren't welcome. Pretty sure that's becoming the norm though. Hence why I have pretty strict guidelines to whether I read something or not. I can't say its right that I do, and I likely miss a few gems here and there, but yeah.

O.o I see. In that case, I shouldn't ask you to read my stories, should I?

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Fucking at least offer something more
I absolutely agree there. I often feel that most people just don't know what an actual review should look like. To them, it's more a rant or a show of support.

What is TKA?
The King's Avatar. It's about esports. There's also an animation series and lifeaction series out there :blob_aww:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I absolutely agree there. I often feel that most people just don't know what an actual review should look like. To them, it's more a rant or a show of support.

The King's Avatar. It's about esports. There's also an animation series and lifeaction series out there :blob_aww:

TKA. :blob_aww: Or as I say, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

AkalE

Readers should just see tags as a Trigger Warnings.
I find it stupid that people go looking for expanding their literary horizons in webfictions. I mean it is hard enough to find a decent story here. Why would you waste your time reading something you won't enjoy.

But on that note, I do have another point : When the correct tag isn't used and the content doesn't suit someone's personal morals.
I've not come across anything that would offend me but I do wonder about it, now that we are discussing.

What if the topic is controversial like racism or sexism, or a rape fantasy? What if it attacks someone's religious sentiments or political ones?
Of course the author should have complete authority over their literary work. But I'm not sure if I would hold the reader wrong if he rated the story a 1-star in such a circumstance.

thedude3445

Even if people hate romance stories I'd still want them to read my story and review it badly. Even if they hate it, at least they read it all.

XXII

Fuck yeah. before reading a story i usually look at the tags, if i see a tag i don't like i stay away from it. ez pz.

Not so Pro tip: i usually comment only on novels i'm interested in (be it a rant or a praise) if i "think" the story is going downhill or some plot points i can't understand/don't like, if it's on SH i try to reach out to the author to see if theres a meaning/reason behind what i perceive is "plothole" of the story. if the author don't reply or just reply with "lol my story is just unique u won't understand" i just move on and read other novels. if its on other sites with no way to contact the author, as i say just move on.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Apparently, the usual defense for this is "If you only review what you like then you can't potentially expand your interests and will be a worse judge of the things you do like," or something like that. I remember Dunky did a video defending reviewing JRPGs even though he hates them and always gives them low scores with logic similar to that, and now everybody falls back onto that. And I mean, I kind of get it. If you read/watch/play something that is outside of your comfort zone, you're just as entitled to review it as anybody else who actually read/watched/played it. As long as you at least try to have an open mind and aren't just 1-starring it the second you see it out of genre hate, it's just as legitimate as all the people who blindly 5-star everything they even slightly like due to positive genre bias.

That being said.

If anybody wants to leave a review on something, whether it's positive or negative, they should put more effort into it than only saying "Not my cup of tea" or "best thing ever very nice." Also, I fully believe that people should primarily focus on what they do like rather than what they don't like. As often as I hear the above logic I mentioned for people trying things they don't like, I've never heard of it actually having an impact on the people who use that excuse. To each their own but, when there's so much fucking content available on the internet for us that fits our tastes, why bother with the stuff that we know doesn't? Does purposely choosing to have a probably-bad time really make enjoying the good times better or more meaningful? Do you have to punch yourself in the face every now and then to remind yourself what it feels like to be in pain so that you can appreciate not being in pain?

On the bright side, when somebody leaves such a low-effort review like that where they make their bias clear, that makes it far, far easier to discredit their opinion as worthless. If somebody just leaves a 1-star rating on a story without a review attached, you have no idea if it's just out of hate or because of legitimate reasons. When somebody attaches a review like that to it, though, then it's much more obvious you shouldn't give a fuck about the score they gave it.
People often don't realize that Dunkey, as frank as it sounds, is different than most people. He's literally publicized as "the guy who shits on FF". People know he's going to hate it at some point. When FF7 came out I knew he was gonna shit on it, the question was how much he was gonna do it. He didn't do it as much, so I could guess it was of decent calibre, but that's straying off point.

Bottom line is, people knew who Dunkey is. They knew him as a critic, and watched his videos as such.

Problem with this is that people take his advice not as a consumer, but as a critic. A somewhat egotistical at that. They don't realise Dunkey is a literal publicized e-whore with his preferences printed in his persona with bright, pulsing, neon fonts. Instead of expanding their horizons with genres they never knew they'd enjoy, they take it as a "my opinion on this shit matters, even though I knew I'd hate this shit from the get-go". In a sense, Dunkey doomed a generation for their ego. Since we're living in an age where self-reflection isn't a virtue but a show of one's flaw, people took his words as one of the Ten fucking Commandments and stuck a huge heroin needle into their self-esteem.

It is okay to try to enjoy something you don't like. I tried to listen to Run the Jewels and, though I heavily disagreed with their explicit political view in their songs, found myself enjoying their albums quite a lot. You might find shit you'd never knew you'll like, and find more things and content you can enjoy on the internet.

If you really have something to say about something you don't like, make sure your points are well-formulated and understandable. All you need to do is recognize your bias, and don't be an absolute crusty dried cum-coated limp dick about it.

Don't be a pussy. Hehe. Shill it.
And since we're on the topic of shilling-

READ MY STORY CANINSTINCT PLEASE IT'S ON HIATUS RIGHT NOW SO IT'S THE BEST TIME TO CATCH UP PLEASE GIVE IT A TRY OH GOD I BEG YOU BENEVOLENT READERS PLEASE READ THIS I NEED VIEWS I GOT KIDS TO FEED BREAD TO EARN AND PUSSY TO GET I DON'T CARE IF GOD GUIDES MY SHAMELESS SOUL TO ETERNAL DAMNATION AFTER THIS I SHALL HAMMER THIS POINT HOME ONCE AGAIN READ MY STORY PLEAAAAASE

Discount_Blade

Readers should just see tags as a Trigger Warnings.
I find it stupid that people go looking for expanding their literary horizons in webfictions. I mean it is hard enough to find a decent story here. Why would you waste your time reading something you won't enjoy.

But on that note, I do have another point : When the correct tag isn't used and the content doesn't suit someone's personal morals.
I've not come across anything that would offend me but I do wonder about it, now that we are discussing.

What if the topic is controversial like racism or sexism, or a rape fantasy? What if it attacks someone's religious sentiments or political ones?
Of course the author should have complete authority over their literary work. But I'm not sure if I would hold the reader wrong if he rated the story a 1-star in such a circumstance.
If you read something that offends your morals, you should probably avoid reading it and dont bother rating as that is NOT a proper criteria for rating a work. Morals change depending on where you are anyways. For example, those who wont eat pork due to religious factors, but then whine about starving while they literally live near pig farms or could go and easily procure something similar. You are an idiot. Damn your religion. If something you believe in thinks you should starve to death rather than eat what could save your life in that moment, than you get no sympathy from me. See? This is my opinion. It doesn't have to be accepted or liked. But if I add it into a work of mine, that opinion alone is NOT something that should be rated upon because it ONLY affects the moral/emotional factor. Not the work as a whole.

Personally, I'm pretty exhausted with sensitive children whining about their feelings being hurt. Not saying you do, but personally, I dont care about your feelings. I dont know you, I'm fairly sure I never will and therefore dont care about you. You are another empty face with a username in a vast sea of anonymity. Me and that person in question might become somewhat friendly at some point, but initially no, you are an empty voice. Writing reviews based on pure emotional factors and nothing else, is a pretty high expression of egotism and arrogance since those who do, do so because they expect their emotions to be paid attention to and accepted just because. Yeah no screw you. No one has to care just because your wittle feelings were hurt. No one's opinions and beliefs have to be accepted just because they are important to you or whomever. The posers and fakes who pretend to care/support and usually only do so momentarily because they agree with something you expressed, not because they actually care. If someone targeted me because I offended them, my response would be, get over it wuss. Expend that energy somewhere else to someone else who gives a damn.

And to be clear this response is aimed at those reviewing based on emotional factors. Not aimed at you or anyone else specifically. I'm just addressing something I've seen pop up more often as of late. But if the shoe fits.....
People often don't realize that Dunkey, as frank as it sounds, is different than most people. He's literally publicized as "the guy who shits on FF". People know he's going to hate it at some point. When FF7 came out I knew he was gonna shit on it, the question was how much he was gonna do it. He didn't do it as much, so I could guess it was of decent calibre, but that's straying off point.

Bottom line is, people knew who Dunkey is. They knew him as a critic, and watched his videos as such.

Problem with this is that people take his advice not as a consumer, but as a critic. A somewhat egotistical at that. They don't realise Dunkey is a literal publicized e-whore with his preferences printed in his persona with bright, pulsing, neon fonts. Instead of expanding their horizons with genres they never knew they'd enjoy, they take it as a "my opinion on this shit matters, even though I knew I'd hate this shit from the get-go". In a sense, Dunkey doomed a generation for their ego. Since we're living in an age where self-reflection isn't a virtue but a show of one's flaw, people took his words as one of the Ten fucking Commandments and stuck a huge heroin needle into their self-esteem.

It is okay to try to enjoy something you don't like. I tried to listen to Run the Jewels and, though I heavily disagreed with their explicit political view in their songs, found myself enjoying their albums quite a lot. You might find shit you'd never knew you'll like, and find more things and content you can enjoy on the internet.

If you really have something to say about something you don't like, make sure your points are well-formulated and understandable. All you need to do is recognize your bias, and don't be an absolute crusty dried cum-coated limp dick about it.

And since we're on the topic of shilling-

READ MY STORY CANINSTINCT PLEASE IT'S ON HIATUS RIGHT NOW SO IT'S THE BEST TIME TO CATCH UP PLEASE GIVE IT A TRY OH GOD I BEG YOU BENEVOLENT READERS PLEASE READ THIS I NEED VIEWS I GOT KIDS TO FEED BREAD TO EARN AND PUSSY TO GET I DON'T CARE IF GOD GUIDES MY SHAMELESS SOUL TO ETERNAL DAMNATION AFTER THIS I SHALL HAMMER THIS POINT HOME ONCE AGAIN READ MY STORY PLEAAAAASE

Not even a little subtle. I like it.

Last edited:

Ace_Arriande

If you read something that offends your morals, you should probably avoid reading it and dont bother rating as that is NOT a proper criteria for rating a work. Morals change depending on where you are anyways. For example, those who wont eat pork due to religious factors, but then whine about starving while they literally live near pig farms or could go and easily procure something similar. You are an idiot. Damn your religion. If something you believe in thinks you should starve to death rather than eat what could save your life in that moment, than you get no sympathy from me. See? This is my opinion. It doesn't have to be accepted or liked. But if I add it into a work of mine, that opinion alone is NOT something that should be rated upon because it ONLY affects the moral/emotional factor. Not the work as a whole.

Personally, I'm pretty exhausted with sensitive children whining about their feelings being hurt. Not saying you do, but personally, I dont care about your feelings. I dont know you, I'm fairly sure I never will and therefore dont care about you. You are another empty face with a username in a vast sea of anonymity. Me and that person in question might become somewhat friendly at some point, but initially no, you are an empty voice. Writing reviews based on pure emotional factors and nothing else, is a pretty high expression of egotism and arrogance since those who do, do so because they expect their emotions to be paid attention to and accepted just because. Yeah no screw you. No one has to care just because your wittle feelings were hurt. The posers and fakes who pretend to care/support and usually only do so momentarily because they agree with something you expressed, not because they actually care. If someone targeted me because I offended them, my response would be, get over it wuss. You are nothing to me. Expend that energy somewhere else to someone else who gives a damn.

And to be clear this response is aimed at those reviewing based on emotional factors. Not aimed at you or anyone else specifically. I'm just addressing something I've seen pop up more often as of late. But if the shoe fits.....

The irony here is amazing. You don't care about their feelings so hard that you proved you actually do care by making an entire post based off of your own feelings about their feelings that you... don't care about? I swear there are at least ten people being offended over others being offended for every one person who is actually getting offended in the first place. You basically just left an emotion-fueled, negative review about the people who leave emotion-fueled, negative reviews while pretty much completely missing their point. That point being:

When the correct tag isn't used and the content doesn't suit someone's personal morals.

If somebody is reading something that is advertised like a perfectly normal fantasy story, and then there's some shocking twist that reveals it's actually all about some super depraved sexual fantasy full of rape and slavery and racism and sexism and whatever else you want to include that would normally be grounds for somebody getting offended, and they leave a review because a story is literally full of every -ism you can think of when it was advertised without any of that, then I'll be fully supportive of somebody leaving a review trashing it.

You know, one moment you're reading what seems like a perfectly normal book, and then the next moment the author is trying to shove all sorts of propaganda related to their real-world political beliefs down your throat. Maybe you read a story that advertises itself as something nice and happy and romantic featuring a happily married couple, and then it turns into NTR within two chapters. I'm pretty sure people would be justified if the thing they were reading, which was advertised as being about a happily married couple being romantic and cute together, turns into NTR which offends their personal morals.

Or let's use an example for all the epic gamer bros on the forum. You get advertised a gritty, serious, realistic game about some holy war for Jerusalem or something. You're going in expecting to cut heads off, pillage the holy land, blah blah. Then after an hour of playing the game, it turns into a happy fun adventure fantasy pushing "sjw" propaganda everywhere you see, featuring two men daring to hold hands, transgender soldiers on the opposite sides of the war having their identities legitimized as they fall in love with one another, and there might even be a gay kiss or two if you really want to offend the le epic gamers. Now, would that be false advertising and deserve a bunch of 1-star-ratings (despite sounding like a jolly good time) due to being false advertising? Absolutely. Would I actually agree for once with people (emotionally) whining about being offended from having a political agenda forced down their throats in their video games which are totally never ever supposed to be political? Yes.

There's a difference between: finding something that properly tags and advertises itself, and then reading it despite knowing it's going to offend you before leaving a review about how it offends you; and reading something that doesn't properly tag and falsely advertises itself and getting tricked into reading it only to receive something different, and then leaving a negative review because it offends your personal morals, which was the point.

Should somebody deliberately choose to read something that they know for certain will offend them and then complain that they're offended? No. But is somebody just as entitled as anybody else if they want to leave an emotion-fueled negative review in response to being led into reading something that they wouldn't have read if it was properly tagged/advertised in the first place? Of course they are. Even if we use the common defense of "but tagging it properly would be spoilers and I don't give spoilers," then that's a risk you are consenting to take by leaving out important information that you know might cause you controversy to leave out. You consent to that choice, you consent to the possible consequences of said choice. If everything is consensual, then it's all fair game.

Last edited:

Discount_Blade

The irony here is amazing. You don't care about their feelings so hard that you proved you actually do care by making an entire post based off of your own feelings about their feelings that you... don't care about? I swear there are at least ten people being offended over others being offended for every one person who is actually getting offended in the first place. You basically just left an emotion-fueled, negative review about the people who leave emotion-fueled, negative reviews while pretty much completely missing their point. That point being:

If somebody is reading something that is advertised like a perfectly normal fantasy story, and then there's some shocking twist that reveals it's actually all about some super depraved sexual fantasy full of rape and slavery and racism and sexism and whatever else you want to include that would normally be grounds for somebody getting offended, and they leave a review because a story is literally full of every -ism you can think of when it was advertised without any of that, then I'll be fully supportive of somebody leaving a review trashing it.

You know, one moment you're reading what seems like a perfectly normal book, and then the next moment the author is trying to shove all sorts of propaganda related to their real-world political beliefs down your throat. Maybe you read a story that advertises itself as something nice and happy and romantic featuring a happily married couple, and then it turns into NTR within two chapters. I'm pretty sure people would be justified if the thing they were reading, which was advertised as being about a happily married couple being romantic and cute together, turns into NTR which offends their personal morals.

Or let's use an example for all the epic gamer bros on the forum. You get advertised a gritty, serious, realistic game about some holy war for Jerusalem or something. You're going in expecting to cut heads off, pillage the holy land, blah blah. Then after an hour of playing the game, it turns into a happy fun adventure fantasy pushing "sjw" propaganda everywhere you see, featuring two men daring to hold hands, transgender soldiers on the opposite sides of the war having their identities legitimized as they fall in love with one another, and there might even be a gay kiss or two if you really want to offend the le epic gamers. Now, would that be false advertising and deserve a bunch of 1-star-ratings (despite sounding like a jolly good time) due to being false advertising? Absolutely. Would I actually agree for once with people (emotionally) whining about being offended from having a political agenda forced down their throats in their video games which are totally never ever supposed to be political? Yes.

There's a difference between: finding something that properly tags and advertises itself, and then reading it despite knowing it's going to offend you before leaving a review about how it offends you; and reading something that doesn't properly tag and falsely advertises itself and getting tricked into reading it only to receive something different, and then leaving a negative review because it offends your personal morals, which was the point.

Should somebody deliberately choose to read something that they know for certain will offend them and then complain that they're offended? No. But is somebody just as entitled as anybody else if they want to leave an emotion-fueled negative review in response to being led into reading something that they wouldn't have read if it was properly tagged/advertised in the first place? Of course they are. Even if we use the common defense of "but tagging it properly would be spoilers and I don't give spoilers," then that's a risk you are consenting to take by leaving out important information that you know might cause you controversy to leave out. You consent to that choice, you consent to the possible consequences of said choice. If everything is consensual, then it's all fair game.

Yeah, and everything you said, missed my point. MY post was based off of people reviewing only on emotional/moral standards. If you can't see that, than thats your problem. Get some reading comprehension bud. It'll take you places. That it went against the thread in general, sure I agree. But it was something I've noticed becoming common enough and and this thread was sort of similar in regards to what I was saying so I put it here. If you don't like it, then as my earlier statement said: Get over it.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

I mean stating that you don't care about someone's opinions is just a fact. A person cant say "you cared enough to respond to me tho" because that aint what was meant. What they meant was they dont give a rat's ass about your feelings. But if you say something they disagree with or like, its not that they care about you, but the ideas you put forth.

That aside. How far does tagging have to go? Cuz im not going to write over twenty tags detailing every little thing you might be offended over. Especially if its not a important bit of the story. Spoilers? Sure. That too. Could contain spoilers. But if you dislike BL and there is a gay couple, im not putting that fucking tag cuz thats not an important detail. The gay couple isnt important either most likely. And you may hate the story just for having that aspect in it even if its so unimportant.

Thats unreasonable bullshit. People who nitpick like that are just cunts. Its not bad to hate aspects like that in a story. Butnfor fucks sake if its not a big part of the story and is inconsequential, maybe even never mentioned again, dont be so pissy over it.

If you do see a tag you dont like, dont read. If you dont see it but it has the idea in the story, you are free to bitch about it. Yeah. But the point is, it doesnt belong in a review

Ideally reviews are unbiased. If there are specific sections for a review, maybe dont concentrate on the one thing you hated. Like the BL example i gave. Cuz thats also annoying bullshit. you gotta be fair. Not just talk Bout the parts you hated, especially if those parts arent an important aspect of the story

It's okay in comment sections. Not in a review section.

Discount_Blade

I mean stating that you don't care about someone's opinions is just a fact. A person cant say "you cared enough to respond to me tho" because that aint what was meant. What they meant was they dont give a rat's ass about your feelings. But if you say something they disagree with or like, its not that they care about you, but the ideas you put forth.

That aside. How far does tagging have to go? Cuz im not going to write over twenty tags detailing every little thing you might be offended over. Especially if its not a important bit of the story. Spoilers? Sure. That too. Could contain spoilers. But if you dislike BL and there is a gay couple, im not putting that fucking tag cuz thats not an important detail. The gay couple isnt important either most likely. And you may hate the story just for having that aspect in it even if its so unimportant.

Thats unreasonable bullshit. People who nitpick like that are just cunts. Its not bad to hate aspects like that in a story. Butnfor fucks sake if its not a big part of the story and is inconsequential, maybe even never mentioned again, dont be so pissy over it.

If you do see a tag you dont like, dont read. If you dont see it but it has the idea in the story, you are free to bitch about it. Yeah. But the point is, it doesnt belong in a review

Ideally reviews are unbiased. If there are specific sections for a review, maybe dont concentrate on the one thing you hated. Like the BL example i gave. Cuz thats also annoying bullshit. you gotta be fair. Not just talk Bout the parts you hated, especially if those parts arent an important aspect of the story

It's okay in comment sections. Not in a review section.

I think Ace Arriande was triggered over what I said LOL. Though I'm sure he'll backtrack and deny it. And yes, saying you don't care is a statement, not some irrefutable proof on the contrary. What kind of logic is that anyway Ace? @Ace_Arriande

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I think Ace Arriande was triggered over what I said LOL. Though I'm sure he'll backtrack and deny it. And yes, saying you don't care is a statement, not some irrefutable proof on the contrary. What kind of logic is that anyway Ace? @Ace_Arriande
Eh. Doesnt matter much to me. Im cool with Ace he seems fairly reasonable a dude at least from MY interactions with him. Then again im a pretty chill and likable bro. I am with most people. We could have a whole srguement where we cuss each other out and if ya crack a joke i'll make one back no hard feelings and we can go about our day

People disagree. Its natural. Just gotta remember not to be a cunt about it after the argument is done. That's especially true when talking politics for example.

Of course if you get offended by every.little thing you just need to die. And me, i am happy to help drive you to suicide jn that case.