To People Who Review Stories That Ain't Their Preferred Genre

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Racism cannot be condemned. Just because it is in a twitter post and they have not uttered the racist slurs doesn't make it alright. You cannot be a racist or support racism.

NOTE:
Did I miss your point and does my ramblings sound pointless?

Of course I am not saying you are a racist just because I quoted you. I WAS JUST MAKING MY OWN OBSERVATIONS.

Just like you did.

I cannot believe we have to discuss what quoting and replying to someone even means. But so be it.
I can be what I want. I'm not racist. But if I wanted to be, I would be and if you don't like it, suck it. Who are you to even stop me? Nobody. And as for the quoting thing, that wasn't intentional, but I'm definitely NOT going to undo it just to satisfy you or someone else. Quote this: Suck it. Get over it. Whichever. Or both. Enjoy. End of my involvement with this.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I don't know about you. But most authors write because they want to be recognized. They want their work to be read and enjoyed. And maybe even make a few bucks off it.

I agree that people should not read something that they know/ anticipate they will not enjoy.

But there are certain standards that people expect. If I picked up a book with a man with a pipe and a bowler head walking out of a hazy smoke with the title that reads "Sherlock Holmes" and the synopsis reads that it is a story of a detective as he solves cases. But than it turns out to be a smut, I presume a lot of people would be pissed.
Similarly if a book specifically targets a group of people specifically that is problematic in and of itself.

This has nothing to do with people getting offended about a gay couple in a story or an off handed scene which doesn't have anything to do with the plot itself. That is just stupid.

Ask yourself this. If you ordered a shirt but instead get a sex-toy, would you rate the product a five-star?
Exactly. It IS stupid. People do it anyway. Get offended by that stupid shit even tho its so unimportant. Those are the worst cases tho.

Anyway, this isnt about expectations. Its about people being unreasonable. This thread didnt begin with things like, "i ordered a book i thought was gonna be an otome game novel with a brother protecting his villainess sister from bad ends but all i got was a story about him getting high and making heroines eat onion rings off his cock"

This thread began with people ignoring THE VERY FUCKING PREMISE of a story, and rating it a one star because of NTR. Even if it wasn't in the tags, from the very first chapter and premise of the story you are under no illusions over what its about.

So its not okay to just rate it one star.

Misrepresentation isnt the same for all products either. Like in creative works vs things like a sandwich or a watch.

Venior

Guys, lets be straight. IF YOU DON'T LIKE A CERTAIN INTRINSIC ELEMENT TO A STORY, JUST FUCK OFF AND READ SOMETHING ELSE. That story wasn;t made for you to enjoy. You arent the target demographic.

I have noticed on several occasions of someone saying on a chapter 1 of a BL novel something to the degree of; "This looks promising, but are those two guys gay? I don't want to read anything gay if they are. Author please make it more apparent if they are!" Now that's not verbatim, but close enough.

I would be fine with that, except for the fact that the story in question was literally using the BL genre tag.

I don't write BL or harem, but I'm not about to jump into someone's GL story and say "This is neat but can you have less gay women? Thanks."

I don't know, just rubs me the wrong way, like you said. Feels like an accidental passive slight again BL and LGBT itself. Sucky thing is most people don't even mean anything by it, so you can't even yell at them! haha It's most of the time just an honest mistake.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Yeah, and everything you said, missed my point. MY post was based off of people reviewing only on emotional/moral standards. If you can't see that, than thats your problem. Get some reading comprehension bud. It'll take you places. That it went against the thread in general, sure I agree.

Well give that you quoted someone when apparently it wasn't intentional, you really shouldn't be surprised that people missed your point. Which doesn't make it Ace's problem, it makes it your problem.

And as for the quoting thing, that wasn't intentional, but I'm definitely NOT going to undo it just to satisfy you or someone else.

No one wants you to undo it anyways. Or rather please do NOT remove it so people who hadn't read it yet won't be confused on what happened.

Also I find tsunderes cute.

ForestDweller

If somebody is reading something that is advertised like a perfectly normal fantasy story, and then there's some shocking twist that reveals it's actually all about some super depraved sexual fantasy full of rape and slavery and racism and sexism and whatever else you want to include that would normally be grounds for somebody getting offended, and they leave a review because a story is literally full of every -ism you can think of when it was advertised without any of that, then I'll be fully supportive of somebody leaving a review trashing it.

This makes me think though. Does this mean you have to put up tags that spoil tragic twists in the story before they actually happen?

Ace_Arriande

This makes me think though. Does this mean you have to put up tags that spoil tragic twists in the story before they actually happen?

That was discussed in some of the follow-up posts. But basically, it's entirely up to the author. If you don't mind giving people a warning ahead of time to let them know that something will happen, that's great. If you don't want to do that, then I won't hold it against you since I don't do it either. Warning people beforehand, either with a disclaimer or proper trigger warning, can help people in the same way that videos will warn people ahead of time of flashing lights. Flashing lights might trigger a seizure. A certain topic in a story might trigger somebody's PTSD. Both are catering to only the tiny, tiny minority of people who would actually be bothered by those, but it's still something that's generally seen as a good, positive thing to do.

Anyways, no. I don't think you have to put up a warning. But if you don't, just be aware that people have a legitimate reason (imo) to complain or leave a negative rating/review if you don't warn them. Just follow whatever your personal beliefs tell you to do since there are no hard rules about this sort of stuff. Just also don't be surprised if people get upset as a result of your choice. = P

EDIT: Personally, I hate when I see content warnings before episodes of a TV show. Like you go five episodes and everything is fine, then the beginning of the sixth episode starts with a content warning advising people of extreme violence and gore. Game of Thrones did this a few times. I hated it each time. However, I understand that it helps other people, so I can't complain too much about it since I would rather somebody who can't handle that sort of content know to dip out and avoid it. Personally, when it comes to stories that might have such content, I just slap the gore and traumatizing content warnings onto them. Now, when it comes to something like completely defying somebody's expectations with what you advertised to them with the tags and synopses, that's a much more complicated situation that really just comes down to your personal belief and whether you want to deal with the probable fallout or not.

Last edited:

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Well give that you quoted someone when apparently it wasn't intentional, you really shouldn't be surprised that people missed your point. Which doesn't make it Ace's problem, it makes it your problem.

No one wants you to undo it anyways. Or rather please do NOT remove it so people who hadn't read it yet won't be confused on what happened.

Also I find tsunderes cute.
Wut? Tsundere's? And also, no it's not my problem.

Undeadd

I'd probably leave a negative review if the stuff I don't like has a tag and it wasn't used, specially if it's the stuff that I absolutely hate (Read NTR)

I don't mind seeing BL or the likes on the side of a story (say when it's not the main character but some friends of him/her), but I can't relate to a pure BL story myself which leads me to not enjoy them and avoid them, so if the story happens to be BL and it wasn't tagged that... I'm likely to leave a review relating to that, probably not fully negative, though if it's NTR and it wasn't tagged that I'm likely to go 100% hate

Raymann

Da_Villainess™ (¬‿¬)ψ
images - 2023-10-03T200023.257.jpeg

Thank you everyone, you may now take out your bingo cards. 😇
IMG_20231003_202723.jpg

Last edited: