What's Your Motivation?

icey6

Just out of curiosity, if your an author, what mainly motivates you to write? Personally, I like to do it for my readers and for myself. Seeing all of the ideas I had in my head being typed out is enjoyable to me.

Typing...

Dopamine. Without that neurotransmitter I would not have the motivation to do anything. To have enough motivation to write it must be the most interesting thing in my life. Thus I have to reduce everything else that could easily give me dopamine with less time and effort. In essence, I rather be bored than binge youtube or reddit. Boredom the fuel through which anything can become stimulating.

Frostbird

It honestly depends on the day. Sometimes I wake up full of energy to write. Other times I have no motivation whatsoever, but I push through it with willpower. Life is like that, you won't always have motivation to do something. Sometimes you just have to go through the motions, and that's okay.
As for what motivates me, I guess it also depends. Sometimes, I get a great idea I want to write about, other times it's cathartic to write, and other times its to complete the writing goals I have set for myself.

EternalSunset0

It gives me something to do that's "productive." As for the writing itself, I get to have something to share to my friends or an avenue to meet new friends online.

Scribbler

Most people don't have any. What reason could there be, to drive a person to greatness. No, there is none.

Most people simply write to write, they do not try to be great, to improve. For them, it is only something they are supposed to do, a habit, not something that they want, something that they crave.

No, the world is empty of it, burning purpose, passion, for there is no reason for it. It is just a hobby, not something that they love.

I used to have a reason... no so much now...

I am not an author, I don't think... but I do write, little bits of fiction, jokes or poetry, here and there, I write things mostly to say something or coz its fun to write it. But mostly,... I find my own writing amusing and I feel happy reading what I wrote later on. OH And I remember this...

This might interest you @icey6

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Mostly I just, need something to occupy my time, and distract myself. So I am constantly daydreaming. Sometimes I daydream my own original stuff, and a while back I figured. Hey, why not try to share it with others?

Valmond

I simply write to see it through to the end. Then I write to constantly improve. I have rewritten my series quite a few times already. Line by line, edit line by line, revision line by line. Then with an audio for confirmation. Afterwards, repeat again. Catching all errors my be near on impossible alone. However, I have gotten much better at severely reducing those. As result of this, my series has tripled in length from the original.

Jemini

I simply had some people really like a fan-fic I made once, so I decided to start trying to write some of my own original content based off some themes I rarely saw (older individuals being reincarnated,) or only saw being done poorly (reincarnated into a comic book heroes world,) and wanted to see more of it and wanted to see it done well.

Leti

Just out of curiosity, if your an author, what mainly motivates you to write? Personally, I like to do it for my readers and for myself. Seeing all of the ideas I had in my head being typed out is enjoyable to me.
The thought of killing a character in every few chapters.

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
Money and a bit of wish fulfillment I guess, after all, you can do something incredible yet it can work just fine by saying it's a work of magic. Lastly, I hate bad ending and tragedy so my story would definitely not have those...unless?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Pure pulling shit out from my imagination, ps. If you only write the wish fulfilment from your head, the plot will fuck itself out of existence. Kind of why most of my halfbaked shits are not on SH, I still need some of my modesty and face.

I only write when I feel like it. Like I said, I will only mass send out the chapters once the arc is done.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
I kind of echo the OP.

I have ideas that I want to try writing out. I need practice, so right now I'm just writing a story I came up with out of thin air to do so, but what started as an extremely simple premise with a couple of goals(character writing, and a few challenges, like having an Isekai protag that can't understand the language, for an example), has turned into a real story with tons of thought put into the backdrop, multiple plot threads going on now, and so much more.

All because people read it. It gave me joy, and I worked for that, making people happy makes me happy, the idea someone enjoyed my writing feels amazing, and somehow it blew up and got on trending, and because of that, I gained more people to feel excitement for with ever post, as I watch the list of recent readers catch up to the latest chapter.

I am incredibly humbled and so thankful for my readers, and every comment, most have been good but even that not great ones let me know that people care enough to leave any kind of comment. The most humbling of all is just the fact people are reading it.

I am still floored by how big a response I can get on my own now. I posted two chapters in one day and got a response that rivaled being #6 on trending. How fucking crazy is that? It blows my mind. I don't feel worth it. I feel like my work is shit, I criticize the hell out of myself, do I have things I'm happy about, even proud of? Yeah. But there are also always things I can berate myself on worse than any commenter could dream.

This, right here though, blows my mind so much.
The fact I hit trending so much is nuts in itself, but...
The fact I can release content and get a similar response is so nutty to me.

So, I am very much writing because people are enjoying it.
I thought a few dozen people were great, now I'm just ecstatic everytime I think about it.
I hope this feeling never dies. I love making people happy.

EDIT: This right here, my newly posted Chapter 16
This, is my joy, and my motivation.

"I like it when you smile, ..." - Quote from Chapter 14, and the title.

Last edited: