What would you want to do?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
What would you want to do if your story was being turned into another form of media. Movie, TV show, play, album, etc. Obviously you can't do everything you want to do but if there were 3 things that you wanted to happen no matter what, what would they be?

I'll go first. (1) Whatever soundtrack used for the story must also be something that can be enjoyed by viewers in their everyday lives without it being called niche cringe. (2) food and clothing should be ran past a few REAL historians for historical accuracy. (3) no agenda pushing. Just let the characters suffer through the story without getting politics and modern social issues involved.

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
-Good quality (animation and/or acting)
-Faithful to the story (i.e: No changing any scenes, no censoring gore or NSFW scenes)
-A banger soundtrack like Paul_Tromba said.

D

Deleted member 54065

I'll take:

1) I'll allow some creative freedom for my work to some extent, but it still has to follow the story narrative and characterization.
2) No 'woke' agenda. I know what I write, so I stand by it.
3) Fanfics allowed.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I adopt the John Carpenter philosophy to IPs. i.e: let them do whatever the fuck. want to kill the MC in the first episode? want a Mary Sue self insert? want an OP sung by Imagine Dragons? all the politics from your liberal arts degree; I'll allow every single agenda. full creative control for the studio and everyone else involved. all I ask is a perpetual 5-10% cut of the earnings.

if the adaptation is good, then all is well. if the adaptation is shit, everyone else would just run back to me (source material) and I get more exposure. the adaptation itself gets its fans as well, and the Venn diagram will send even more folks checking out my shit.

either way, I get paid, and that's all I care about in this sort of situation.

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
1. Good quality work, I don't care if it takes a bit longer than some sloppy rush job
2. Done by people who actually care about my work and will at least attempt to honor it
3. Cash. Money.

J_Chemist

I would like a WebComic/Manga of it. Not a movie or an anime, or even a TV Show. Just some good art.

- Quality work and the full story. No plot cuts or wild adjustments to the storyline because "it's too long". Bitch it's long because I wrote it that way.
- Not a whole lot of advertising. Just enough to get the name out there and then put it on the shelf. If it blows up, it blows up. But I don't like the idea of seeing my story plastered everywhere.
- Maintain my pen name. Don't care how popular it gets. That remains unchanged.

AuntieMaysLittleCousin

Level 73 Practical Procastinator
1. I want it to be an animation.
2. I want it to be of good quality. As someone who has both watched the anime and read the light novels of many stories, I've found nearly no adaptation makes honor to the original work. I've found animes like Arifureta to be a great disappointment because of this. I want something my future readers would read my story and say "Oh wow, what do you know, this actually is good stuff"
3. Famous people working on it. I want Bump of Chicken, Unison Square Garden or Mrs. Green Apple working on the soundtracks, and I want voice actors like Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, Takehito Koyasu voicing my characters.

(Signed by, someone who has been a great manganime lover their entire life)

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
1. Use of skilled voice actors
2. Be an anime
3. Respect the source. Don't make any changes whatsoever. They can cut things here and there as long as they arent too important to the story. Do not change the characters, lore, add or remove anything important, and most of all, keep politics and narratives out of it. A story is meant to distract you from the real world, not shove its problems in your face.

NotOriginal

1. I want a team or studio that truly love my work.
There is nothing else. If they love my work they will do whatever it takes to make it shine.

FaustVoncleave

One is no agenda pushing for sure. two no live action, animation only (Unless it's a play, plays are actually pretty good usually.) And three, the director and at least half the production and writing staff have to actually READ the story.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
1. Use of skilled voice actors
2. Be an anime
3. Respect the source. Don't make any changes whatsoever. They can cut things here and there as long as they arent too important to the story. Do not change the characters, lore, add or remove anything important, and most of all, keep politics and narratives out of it. A story is meant to distract you from the real world, not shove its problems in your face.
Scratch number 1. What I want is to oversee the creation of the music theme for one specific character. If his theme doesnt make me truly feel how ancient and powerful the man is, I want it thrown out.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
What would you want to do if your story was being turned into another form of media. Movie, TV show, play, album, etc. Obviously you can't do everything you want to do but if there were 3 things that you wanted to happen no matter what, what would they be?

I'll go first. (1) Whatever soundtrack used for the story must also be something that can be enjoyed by viewers in their everyday lives without it being called niche cringe. (2) food and clothing should be ran past a few REAL historians for historical accuracy. (3) no agenda pushing. Just let the characters suffer through the story without getting politics and modern social issues involved.
Ai-chan would ask the following:
1. 10% of sale price in perpetuity
2. Ai-chan retains the rights to the title and all the elements within, but anyone can make any adaptation of the story and all the elements within without prior permission, as long as Rule 1 is obeyed.
3. Ai-chan's name must be included in the credits.

That's it. They can do whatever they want with the story. Ai-chan will neither endorse nor slam it. Ai-chan will just say that Ai-chan has nothing to do with that shit. Go complain to the producers.

Thekherham

The novel I'm posting now, Act Naturally, is part of a much larger scenario (don't worry, George R.R. Martin, it's not as long as yours) taking place not only on Earth, but two alien planets, as well as outer space. I doubt if I'll ever get done what's in my mind. So, I'd like to turn Act Naturally into a TV series. I don't know what they'd do with my aliens... (please no humans wearing fur suits, but they did a pretty good job with Rocket in Guardians of the Galaxy...) Probably cost a zillion dollars to make so that's that I guess. A movie, even if it's three hours would still be too short.

lambenttyto

Obviously you can't do everything you want to do but if there were 3 things that you wanted to happen no matter what, what would they be?
I would have two primary concerns above all else. I would require that the adaptation stay true to the story that I wrote. No bullshit politics, no inter sectional Marxist interpretations. You disrespect my story, tell damaging themes and world views that I strongly appose, and you use my art to do it, well, I'll follow you to the pit of hell!

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
I don't know why they pick stories to produce then ride roughshod all over it, do they really think the fans won't be pissed?! It's for that reason Rhianna Pratchett won't let 'them' get their grubby paws on any more of her father's work.

Creative license with the story is one thing, as books don't always translate as they are into other media. That's fine. But if you're altering it so much that the only thing recognisable is the name, then Don't. Do. It. (mentioning no names Rings of Power).

1: I'd insist they stick to my fantasy cultures as I've written them, I don't care if they don't like it. Don't do it then. (key word: FANTASY)
2: Cast characters with actors who look at least mostly like them. And are the same gender. Not enough bad-ass shield-lobbing, claymore-swinging 'strong' women in my stories? Tough. Don't do it then.
3: Go on, get a linguist in, I wanna hear Tethiri spoken!

It's fantasy. It doesn't reflect modern Western culture*. Don't try to make it. Don't like it? Don't do it then.

*why the FUCK do they think we write FANTASY?! Because modern life is a total CROCK and we like spending time elsewhere.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
If it comes to the contract it would be

1) Lots of Money upfront plus royalties - I relinquish creative control
2) Less money upfront plus royalties - I want to have creative approval

Often you only get one chance to sell your license. I want to be able to retire comfortably, or passionately work on it with the writers of the new medium.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
FINAL SAY.

Your name, your reputation, cannot be healed. It cannot be cured. Once your name goes bad, it is BAD. I sell shit all the time. I think a few of the things I sold even got turned into a episode or two (no proof. The script looks familiar). BUT MY NAME DOES NOT GO WITH IT. If you want my product and my name, I get final say on the final product. PERIOD.