Writing How do I properly portray autism in a characte and where do I even start researching this shit like god damn I can't fuck this up this shit's volatile

D

Deleted member 20302

One way is to hang out/watch videos with people who have it. Also, decide on which spectrum do you want to go.

I have a close friend who has Aspergers and he acts normally most of the time. An extremely intelligent person that absorbed things faster than the average person. Unfortunately, a bit on the lower side when it comes to EQ and not understanding the concept of personal space (common signs of Aspergers). He stutters a lot when he is nervous, such as during presentations, so others might find it annoying if they aren't aware of his condition.

There is more stuff than this but it gets too personal about his details so that's the general thing I can tell you.

Reisinling

Don't write about it. Unless you know about it well, don't even bother. You'll just make a fool out of yourself.
From one side I would like to say "we should be able to write about anything we want", but from the other side there is a small number of "explosive" subjects, which do not seem to be worth the well, risks, both outrage wise and morality wise.

Autism seems to be one of those things, I've seen people argue about what is and isn't a good depiction even when people were basing shit on their own experiences. This is a single word for such big spectrum, that it's hard to say

MadmanRB

Don't write about it. Unless you know about it well, don't even bother. You'll just make a fool out of yourself.
Right because only cops should write cop stories or Doctors write medical stories or detectives write detective works... wait...

And look I get it that autism is a sensitive subject but nothing is out of reach if well researched.
As long as it doesn't play into stereotypes or how about awesome Adolf Hitler was I'm cool with it.
Hey I am autistic... well Asperger's functioning variant of it.
If the OP wants to ask me questions on how it affects me hey I'm an open book here.

Last edited:

MadmanRB

Yeah, I mean my autism superpower is that I soak up information like a sponge, and I am a bit of a savant because of it especially with stuff like computers.

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
My brother has autism, and like many people have pointed out before me, it's important to remember that autism is a spectrum. One of the most glaring misconceptions that people have about autism is that it appears in only one form and can only be portrayed in one way. So, like those before me have advised, first determine where on the spectrum you want your character to sit on as it will heavily steer the direction of your story.

Secondly, the number one thing you don't want to promote is making it seem like autism is somehow a disease that needs to be cured. Don't demonize autism. Certainly, you can include that as part of your character's conflict, but don't ever make it so that the character's autism is somehow magically 'cured.' Symptoms of autism may change over time (autism may become less severe over time) and autistic people may learn to pick up social cues, but autism cannot be cured. I can say that, at least in the case of my brother, he's gotten better at communicating and working with his autism, but such a thing may or may not be the case for others. Just remember that being different isn't inherently a bad thing. That is probably the most important thing to keep in mind whilst writing.

(Also, don't make an autistic character into some cute pet of another character. I've seen some questionable novels that make an autistic person seem like some cute little baby animal the main character takes care of, and it honestly makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. Though, this is my personal opinion and not necessarily my brother's.)

Thirdly, I thought that I'd give you some tips when it comes to writing autism based on my own interactions with my brother. You should know, however, that my brother is pretty high functioning. Sometimes, I even forget that he has autism, though that may just be because we're very close. One of the first things that people notice with my brother is how he doesn't make eye contact, and secondly, how he often pauses for a very long time before answering questions. Simple questions like, "How was your day?" or "Are you hungry?" will just be returned with pure silence. Since my brother doesn't say a single "Hmmm," or "Let me think about that," or give a small tilt of the head to indicate he's thinking, many people end up thinking he didn't hear them or is ignoring them. It's a small quirk of his, but it can get on people's nerves when they don't understand that he has autism. It certainly makes waiters feel awkward when he's ordering food lol. My brother also spaces out often and will often not respond in a middle of a conversation. I'm not sure if his mind wandering away is a result of his autism, though, or if it's just one of his personal quirks. Routine is also incredibly important to my brother, and when something unexpected happens, regardless if it is good or bad, it can deeply upset him. A surprise trip to Disneyland was not appreciated by him when he was younger as it interrupted his plans to make a new level on Super Mario Maker. Besides that, I know that my brother has a far stronger emotional attachment to objects than other people. I still remember him crying when my parents sold an old van of ours when we were kids, and to this day he's still very particular with his possessions. There's a lot of other quirks I could share, but I'm sure my brother would kill me if he knew I shared anything more.

Finally, I just wanted to share some words of encouragement. I can tell that you take writing autism rather seriously, and I know that dealing with such a delicate subject is nerve-wracking. But, as long as you approach the topic with genuine care and tact, I'm sure you'll do semi-well. And honestly, for someone without autism, that's the best you can hope to do. Also, my brother says that you shouldn't be too scared when writing since autistic people are very, very diverse. There's no perfect way of writing autism just as there is no perfect way to write a neurotypical person. I think it's great you're willing to tackle the task of writing the alienation someone with autism can feel. The desire to be normal is already something someone without autism struggles deeply with, it's hard to fully comprehend the pain someone with autism can feel.

Anyways, if you've made it this far through this post, I can already tell you're a determined soul. So, I'll leave one more resource for you. There's a book written by Naoki Higashida, a boy with autism, called The Reason I Jump that may be very helpful to you. It's formatted like a Q&A and provides a lot of insight into how a person with autism interacts with the world. Well, best of luck!

FantasyDeath

First off, high-functioning and low-functioning are nonexistent labels that nobody autistic likes. Don't use them. Second, autism and Asperger's is, nowadays, officially the same thing. Asperger's is a part of the autism spectrum (which just goes to show how wide the range is). Third, symptoms can improve and worsen over time. For example, when I was a kid I had no trouble with noises, but now I am completely incapable of blocking out background noise, which means I always hear everything. i can't not listen to it. all the time. it's supremely annoying.

i would recommend you watch reaction videos by autistic people to sia's movie music. it's a great example of what not to do.

FlutterOfCrows

Would recommend watching Max Derrat, as his videos directly go into this kind of subject matter, and his comment sections tend to be full of folk who do have the condition, so between the videos, he tackles on the subject and those in his sections, you can get a good foundation of what different kinds of things autistic folk genuinely suffer from.

Annavyney

When it comes to accurately portraying autism in a character, I totally get the pressure not to mess it up.

Tsuru

Yeah b----------
----e story.

X+Y (2014)​

movie

No need books
No need anything
Just watch it

(Mc have autism / and a side character also have it. But will have a cringe moment and quit the "math team". / Mc is just unfairly far luckier than other guy, showing unfairness of life.)

PS : not happy movie. Quite mild dark. A cringe romance x2. And a weird ending.
PS PS : You can basically say Autism is "super-nerdism".

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
don't fucking watch anything, it's all made up and exaggerated. Hollywood rarely gets it right without throwing a few harmful stereotypes.
literally just talk to someone autistic, I think we have a few autistic people here including me
that's what's so good about the internet, you can talk to a mental patient from Guatemala easily.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
don't fucking watch anything, it's all made up and exaggerated. Hollywood rarely gets it right without throwing a few harmful stereotypes.
literally just talk to someone autistic, I think we have a few autistic people here including me
that's what's so good about the internet, you can talk to a mental patient from Guatemala easily.
Oh, so you're autistic?

Name 2 reasons why you blabber randomly in a conversation.
I dare you.

grin.jpg

Also, if you want to write a character who is a legend but has autism, take a look at Gordon Freeman.

He's a legend, a badass scientist. But, if you view how his colleagues always greet him first and compliment him often, you might find out the reason why he's muted.

Most autists have indescribable difficulties communicating. Hence why in the entire franchise, Gordon never speaks.

hehe.jpg

Here's a very long introduction to how Freeman think and react.

Last edited: