• Thread starter Deleted member 89995
  • Start date

Sebas_Guzman

I'm going to back up Anon2021 and I'm going to be way more agressive than I should be because you all need to understand who you're competeing against in general.
You guys aren't helping him when you redefine success. When you do that, you're pretty much just trying to make yourselves feel better, which in some cases is good, because people need to be in a good head space to maximize their chances of victory, but in some cases it makes it look like you're overlooking the root cause here. Every time I read it, I think--"Okay, that's not someone I ever have to worry about competing with. They lost so hard they're trying to find victory else where."

People that redefine the success presented by another are doing it because they've lost and need to find a way to carry on. That's fine, but don't overlook the one still trying to win according to their definition.

@Nefar you havent seen enough of the literary world and maybe the world.
"Hard work does not pay off" mine does and still does. "Hardwork gets lucky," is the counter thought, but the idea of that is you assume that you will never get lucky, so you just better work hard. You put things out there until something lands and then you seize on it.

we always hear the 1% who succeeded and never hear about the 99% who failed

No. I keep track of crippling failures engaging in what you call "literary masturbation." If you DONT hear about the 99% who failed, you are 100% going to be joining them. I study everyone that I can and I learn what not to do. Why should I fail when someone else has done it for everyone else to see? Luck still plays a factor, but the meta of this game is optimizing your chances until you're at near 99% certainty.
Someone that studies the market doesn't need luck, someone that goes in blind does.

not. all. authors. will. succeed.

This is true. Yeah, some know how to write, but they dont know how to sell.

not. all. entrepreneurs. will. succeed.
I want to know who told you being an entrepreneur makes you immune to bad ideas.

Worth pointing out that "author" and entrepreneur are SUCH unregulated titles. Look, if anyone can get the title, you can't expect it to be a dazzling sample of humanity's greatest.

i don't like it when people try to see the "silver lining"
Yeah, they should probably keep it to themselves. Failures should only be shared when the person has fully learned from them in order to fully minimize the chances of depressive spirals. Asking for help and quoting a failure is fine though if you can actually take the advice.

literally everything is luck and we just copium every time we don't meet our standards
I mean everything is probability, maybe. But, when I design a circuit, it's not 'luck' when it works 100% of the time until failure. Even the failure condition is based on the intrinsic conditions and degredation of material such that you can estimate failure time.
My programmed formula is pretty correct every time.
My story writing formula is pretty reliable too.

"yeah, this will work out and i will keep doing it no matter what"
Yeah, people that have blind faith don't really have good chances. But when they get lucky, you know, god bless. I wish it was me XD

sometimes, i wish i was born passionate in programming, not in writing

Thankfully, you do not need passion to make money. Yeah, you'll be dissatisfied in life, but if that dissatisfaction doesn't motivate you to change, do you really deserve to not suck so much? If you can do something about it and you don't? I mean. Why should anyone help you if you're not going to help yourself? That one's a little mean, but people have to realize that if they have the ability to change, they should try ready to fail.

Look man, here's the reality. You're nothing. You might be a bot for all I know. You know nothing. No one owes you their attention, and you don't owe anyone your thoughts.
People have their own lives. That's why people who took the time to learn stuff and powered through the worst parts will be able to maybe compete with the lucky ones and the talented ones.
1 in a 100.
I'll be lucky to be 1 in a hundred.
It won't be luck if I do a hundred. I'm going to get that one.
I look at my competitors, I look at their numbers. I look at what they do, how they think, where they go. Yeah, there's no luck here. There's development and implementation. Financial and social Success is born from study and going above the ones that think they have to get lucky to win. Everyone can win if they can learn the metagame. And of course, my heart goes out to the ones sincerely unable to. The luck of the draw is really at play when it comes to those conditions we can do nothing about.

But please, keep telling yourself it's luck. Makes sorting through the people who are worth listening to easier.
Also, be a moderate cynic. It's better than being a pessimist.

D

Deleted member 54065

What if you’re starving and you can’t get a job cause you’re disabled in a wheel chair living third world country with no government programs or family to help you?
We adapt. No other choice. lol

overcome.jpg

Unless the person got a severe case of Lou Gehrig's Disease, wheelchair peeps still need to fend for themselves. That includes writers in my country; like me, who's got several jobs to live comfortably.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapitaoCaverna

Well, luck really is part of the equation.

I have read so many stories I consider crap, but that have achieved success because they were lucky, for some reason people decided to read it and it attracted the atention of just the right people to grow.

On the other hand, there is a lot of skill that goes into being successful too, and it's not only writing skill.

I'm not an expert but I guess you should reavaluate your current goals with writing, do you write because you enjoy creating a story and getting money would be a bonus or, do you write BECAUSE you want that money?

If it's the first one, just continue writing and relax, don't expect to make a living by writing and continue to write the stories you want, when you want. If the money comes then, GREAT! If it doesn't, well that wasn't your main goal anyway.

But, do continue trying to break into the game, even a writer like Brandon Sanderson created a lot of books before one of them was accepted and he exploded in popularity. In fact, he had an entire series of books already writen before a different work of his was finally published, years and years of work that only paid off when his fame exploded.

If it's the second I suggest you do a lot of studying, don't post until you have a lot of chapters, when you start posting look for the time of the day where your audience is most likely to be online, make sure to post often, day after day, to attract more people.

There's skill there that has nothing to do with writing, the right Name of the story, the right first chapter to attract, and keep, attention, the right genre to attract attention at the moment, the right personality to your MC, the right posting speed, even the right amount of chapters on patreon.

Also, I suggest searching for what's popular right now. Yes, creating something new can often propel you foward and be the big break you want, but there is good money just giving people what they want, it's why there are thousands of books about an alpha male with a harem, people like reading that even when it's not original and even when the story is crap.

Make use of tropes, they're there because they work and you don't really need to subvert them if you do them right.

Learn to use clifhangers, have a good amount of chapters exclusive to your patrons if you're trying to make money that way.

I'm sure there are a lot of other things you can do and it will still depend a lot on luck and skill but... if you manage to create a single story that's really successful it can attract atention to everything else.

Now, this may mean you aren't really writting what you REALLY want to write but, if one of your stories manage to explode, you're set and your audience will follow you to other stories, at least some of them will.

Still... yeah, sometimes nothing works out, you can only keep trying.

LordofKaizen

i dont want to be that one guy who goes hard about "survivor bias" or "hard work does not pay off" but I think im starting to grow pessimistic each day

there is this one guy that created this term "literary masturbation" and it basically means you're writing a story that will never benefit you financially

i want to be optimistic, but i cant help but be gripped by the reality that "not all authors will succeed"

failure is failure, and i don't like it when people try to see the "silver lining" of it; perhaps life is so cruel that it literally doesn't care whether you persevere or not

literally everything is luck and we just copium every time we don't meet our standards

but will it really work out?

sometimes, i wish i was born passionate in programming, not in writing (and lucky you if you're passionate in both)

writing makes me overly happy and overly depressed

writing fucking sucks.
One of my favorite authors, HP Lovecraft, died thinking that he was a failed author and that no one would ever read his books. Stories like thess make me realize that most things do indeed have to do with luck, fate, or whatever bs name you have for the randomness of the universe. I'm very pessimistic when it comes to life myself, so take it from me... if you want to get paid for writing, don't stop. Because what happens when a few years down the line you get the attention you so desired... it's happened to me and I blew it. Perhaps I will never get that chance again, but I tell you what, if it does come I won't blow it again.

I'm not a stoic, but I like their way of thinking. We can only work towards what is in our control. Sure mate, there may not be a silver lining, but there is always the chance that one day you make it... or not. But whatever.

Jovilynx

Okay, this is triggering me on a neurological level. LITERALLY. Man, I've got epilepsy, and I had to take a suppressant to chill during your self-absorbed rant about how you just ain't gonna be enough. How your hard work ain't gonna pay off? How writing for you is both heaven and hell? Bruh, don't try me with that philosophy, and don't try to emulate some famous writers through that.

You wanna succeed, be recognised? Go on every writing platform and post your work on each of them. And post regularly. By that I mean have a pace, don't fall into an abyss, and come back half a year later to say 'sorry I was busy'.

Wanna earn some cash by writing? You can be a content writer, ghost writer, blogger, copywriter, and 20 other options connected to writing that will help you get money.

FFS, make tiktoks about your work if you have to, not like you have to show your face for that. Social media, social media, social media.

Also, read books. Upon books. Upon books. Not webnovels. I mean Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Paulo Coelho, Pearl Buck, Lajos Zilahy, Jack London, Mary Shelley, Ivo Andric, Mo Yen, Soseki Natsume, Diana Wynne Jones, Michael Ende, Sergei Yesenin, Rabindranath Tagore, Emile Zola, etc...

I'm a pessimist. I've been a pessimist since I was diagnosed and understood what was waiting for me in the future. But I'm posting again and again, and reaching out, writing stories in three different languages and learning two more languages to boot.

So suit up, and suck it up. Not everything's gonna be served on a silver platter.

JayDirex

Okay, this is triggering me on a neurological level. LITERALLY. Man, I've got epilepsy, and I had to take a suppressant to chill during your self-absorbed rant about how you just ain't gonna be enough. How your hard work ain't gonna pay off? How writing for you is both heaven and hell? Bruh, don't try me with that philosophy, and don't try to emulate some famous writers through that.

You wanna succeed, be recognised? Go on every writing platform and post your work on each of them. And post regularly. By that I mean have a pace, don't fall into an abyss, and come back half a year later to say 'sorry I was busy'.

Wanna earn some cash by writing? You can be a content writer, ghost writer, blogger, copywriter, and 20 other options connected to writing that will help you get money.

FFS, make tiktoks about your work if you have to, not like you have to show your face for that. Social media, social media, social media.

Also, read books. Upon books. Upon books. Not webnovels. I mean Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Paulo Coelho, Pearl Buck, Lajos Zilahy, Jack London, Mary Shelley, Ivo Andric, Mo Yen, Soseki Natsume, Diana Wynne Jones, Michael Ende, Sergei Yesenin, Rabindranath Tagore, Emile Zola, etc...

I'm a pessimist. I've been a pessimist since I was diagnosed and understood what was waiting for me in the future. But I'm posting again and again, and reaching out, writing stories in three different languages and learning two more languages to boot.

So suit up, and suck it up. Not everything's gonna be served on a silver platter.
you rightfully summarized Tammy Duckworths whole Ted Talk about Grit.

Long story short, the most successful people are the ones who stick with it, do it day in day out, and GRIT IT OUT. @Nefar

Jovilynx

you rightfully summarized Tammy Duckworths whole Ted Talk about Grit.

Long story short, the most successful people are the ones who stick with it, do it day in day out, and GRIT IT OUT. @Nefar

Thanks, I mean, I grew up on those, and I already know about Tammy, I follow Ted Talks regularly, and it's interesting what people have to say on a variety of topics.

ACertainPassingUser

i want to be optimistic, but im starting to think that everything is luck​

I thought you're saying

"I want to be optimistic, but I think everything Sucks"

But anyway, success is simply reaching your goal.

That's it.

If your goal is trying to be billionaire, of course you won't become successful easily.

But if your goal is simply buying a car and a home, it suddenly became easier to gain success.

If you want to be successful international writer, use English and live in Britain/America.

Except if you want to be successful international comic/manga writer, or JP LN harem writer, in which you may go to Japan, but Japan usually didn't particularly like "Gaijin" and everything they made, they only care about locals.

You can also try to write Marvel's comic. But you're doing their script and works your ass to make one or two page per day due to how hard it is.

And you can see how unatainable is becoming international successful writer.

But,

If you just want to be National best writer, it suddenly became easier.

Just need to write romance or horror, or any romance bullshit topic that's popular in your country. Didn't need to be realistic but put some "wish-fullfilment" of some retarded teenage fantasy in META way, to let them think that it's what they want + more modern and cool.

And then you will became viral if you're lucky. There's lots of romance thirsty teenage girls that like those kind of story in every country and they will only read those locals since they can't read English.

Last edited:

Ssthat

Boo Tao Main
yeah, cuz it is. I hate to break it to you, but there's no such thing as "fate" or "destiny". Horoscopes and zodiac signs don't determine your future (though you best stay away scorpius bastards), and everything we do comes down to a roll of the dice or a flip of a coin.

Tsuru

Readers hate plot holes.
I know I do and one of the reasons I haven’t published much is because plot holes keep appearing in complicated stories.
Yep.

On top of my head without thinking, it's like a novel a acquaintance complained about. The MC had gravity powers. But as expected from a chinese author with doubtable IQ, the MC didn't think to use that on stones/arrows etc that could make him op by throwing them up there.

In fact, just like recent animes show, the true success of a series is to make the reader/spectator to immerse in it and/or feel it's alive. That is why recent animes try hard and exagerate the "colorful" route even more than K-ON! or baka to test (though it can result in more chuunibyou / weebs).
Them being like, makes you forget reality easily.

And "plotholes" are things that directly break this immersion.
Same as "typos". Or bad translation
= "YOU GONNA DIE FIEND ! TAKE THIS ! EXCALIBIR !!!!!"
= "Donut filled jelly"

----------------------

A successful series is when one forget it was done by humans.
And plotholes just make you think "Tch, this is dumb. The author is stupid."

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Luck is a factor yes, but you never get lucky without opportunities. Hard work increases the opportunities you receive.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Yep.

On top of my head without thinking, it's like a novel a acquaintance complained about. The MC had gravity powers. But as expected from a chinese author with doubtable IQ, the MC didn't think to use that on stones/arrows etc that could make him op by throwing them up there.

In fact, just like recent animes show, the true success of a series is to make the reader/spectator to immerse in it and/or feel it's alive. That is why recent animes try hard and exagerate the "colorful" route even more than K-ON! or baka to test (though it can result in more chuunibyou / weebs).
Them being like, makes you forget reality easily.

And "plotholes" are things that directly break this immersion.
Same as "typos". Or bad translation
= "YOU GONNA DIE FIEND ! TAKE THIS ! EXCALIBIR !!!!!"
= "Donut filled jelly"

----------------------

A successful series is when one forget it was done by humans.
And plotholes just make you think "Tch, this is dumb. The author is stupid."
One reason why I'm trying to simply the ability of the MC I'm writing. I need it to be a situation where the reader asks "why didn't he."

doravg

105/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
i dont want to be that one guy who goes hard about "survivor bias" or "hard work does not pay off" but I think im starting to grow pessimistic each day

there is this one guy that created this term "literary masturbation" and it basically means you're writing a story that will never benefit you financially

i want to be optimistic, but i cant help but be gripped by the reality that "not all authors will succeed"

failure is failure, and i don't like it when people try to see the "silver lining" of it; perhaps life is so cruel that it literally doesn't care whether you persevere or not

sometimes, i wish i was born passionate in programming, not in writing (and lucky you if you're passionate in both)

writing fucking sucks.
Well, as someone who failed to become a paid author I have to say this: writing is a form of therapy. When you try to make it big, you better have the right name, the right writing style, and the right marketing. Chin up. If you enjoy writing, then keep at it. Just don't waste money on it, if you are not going to try and get yourself published. Speaking from experience, I can tell you, that it sucks.

Rookieqw

Strangely, hard work does pay off. I've made all possible mistakes while writing my first two stories (overly long chapters, bad grammar, and so on). When my English language improved, I went back and fixed what I could, strangely gaining readers for my main work. Not much, mind you, but with my insanely long chapters, poor vocabulary, and nothing but dedication, this is reward enough to put even more effort into my writing. Someone was even kind enough to make a fanart of my work that I have used as the cover for the story since that day.

I can tell for certain that right now I am a better author when compared to the moment when I just started writing. My vocabulary is better, and my knowledge of the English language is better. It still has years and years to go until I can call myself even a mediocre writer, but this is what life is, and I am content with getting better step by step. My only concern now is that I will disappoint those who read my writing.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member

writing fucking sucks.
If you’re looking to make money off writing and you’re not then there’s a very simple reason why. You’re not writing what is popular for the given demographic you’ve targeted. It’s a cold truth but you don’t make money writing absolutely anything you want anywhere you want. You need to take the time to do the research and understand the market. Supply and demand. The economics of how the world works. If you want to write whatever you want then you need to find the right place with a demographic looking for that where what you are writing is already popular and in high demand.

On scribble hub it’s going to be smut, girl’s love and gender bender. It’s that simple. Slap on an anime girl cover and you’ve cracked the openly accepted not so secret secret to success.

On royal road it’s going to be LitRPGs, cultivation stories, magic, high fantasy, etc. Get a good colourful cover that stands out and isn’t anime styled since they tend to avoid those. But to stand out there still takes a lot of work. Means going onto the forums and doing a bunch of review swaps. However, you’re much more likely to convert a royal road user into someone who’d subscribe to your Patreon or buy an eBook than a user on scribble hub.

If you aren’t doing the research and only writing then you’re not actually doing the hard work. Writing is only 10% of the work. The rest of the work is promoting your work, advertising, researching, collaborating with other authors, swapping reviews, understanding the algorithms, understanding search engine optimization, keyword selection, cover creation, human psychology, interacting with your readers, keeping them engaged, etc.

RagingCorn

OH. MY. SELF.

Look. If you want to make money at this, you can. I don't care how bad you are, if you want to make money, you can make money. If you work at this for a few years, you can even do more than grunt work and become a ghost writer.

No no no... you are lamenting that you aren't a POPULAR WRITER.

Making money? Dear god, anyone can. Are you gonna make more than $1.12/hour? Not until you put in the YEARS that you need to actually have skill at this job. But you look at Steven King and go, "That's a success". I'm a middle of the road, passible, nobody. I have stopped Ghost writing years ago, and I STILL occationally get calls because, "I TYPE WHAT I AM COMMISIONED FOR AND I FINISH ON TIME."

Most "professional" writers are people you never hear about. Most writers who make money are like the guy at McDonalds flipping your burgers. They are just grinding it out for a paycheck.

You want fans? You want praise? You want people to like your work? That's a whole other situation.

There is little luck in this field. No. Really.

365 Days, Twilight, EMPRESS THERESA, fer fuck sake.

GRIND. GRIND. GRIND. GRIND. GRIND. GRIND. GRIND. GRIND. GRIND.

You do not see the posting 3k word chapters TWICE A WEEK FOR A YEAR.

Steven king writes about 8k a DAY.

So, how about this? GET GUD. I got little sympathy. I took four years to write an ENCYCLOPDEDIA of 112 books, for the fun of it, with NO COMPENSATION, because I enjoyed the topic, but also because I wanted to do it. I learned more in that 4 years then I learned any other time or place. I learned, because I DID IT. Every day I did some more. At least 1 hour a day, usually 4 hours a day, grind grind grind grind grind.

That is how you become a writer who is successful in this business. You work your ass off, like becoming a doctor. It takes YEARS to get good at this.

After 12 years of doing this one hour a day, rain or shine, no matter what, then you can tell the rest of us, "YEW WERE JUST LUCKY."

Fuck. YOU. I am Not Lucky. I AM FUCKIN' AWESOME.
Take your insults and shove them up your ass.
cope harder lol