A question for those who read bl and gl, why?

• Thread starter Deleted member 139452
  • Start date

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
Female here that reads BL xianxia novels and such.

1. I no longer care about the genders of characters in novels and manga. Seriously, I’m just here vibin’. Boy? Girl? Don’t care as long as it’s well written. My MtL can’t even translate pronouns.

2. More options without weird sex and gender based power fantasies. Both MCs are the same gender, so I don’t have to feel gross about misogynistic imbalances and stuff.

3. if it’s manga manhua whatever, if the art is pretty I’m reading. Half the time I still can’t determine the gender since everyone looks like a fairy.

4. Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation

5. Game Loading

6. I realize these are novel names. These are my reasons, fight me.

7. I read for personalities and don’t like smut anyway so…

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Cause it’s the opposite gender that I can feel like it’s the ultimate escapism since it has nothing to do with me.

Females often have weird personalities. Or are weirdly drawn. (Donghuas make them hot though 👌)

YA romance destroyed BG for me.

Shoujo has slow af pacing. Relied too strong on misunderstanding and miscommunication (BL also does, but it’s easier to find ones that don’t)

BG stories are so loooooong. Like, 300 chapters minimum????

AYM

Farts can kill awareness month

Tenebram

Cause it’s the opposite gender that I can feel like it’s the ultimate escapism since it has nothing to do with me.

Females often have weird personalities. Or are weirdly drawn. (Donghuas make them hot though 👌)

YA romance destroyed BG for me.

Shoujo has slow af pacing. Relied too strong on misunderstanding and miscommunication (BL also does, but it’s easier to find ones that don’t)

BG stories are so loooooong. Like, 300 chapters minimum????
👀
D*mn calling me out lol
But personally, I prefer the extremely long and slow novels to the ones that are already finished at 100 chapters, regardless of BL/GL/BG
(It's not as much fun to write though, ~60 chapters in and I'm just about to wrap up my first Arc...)

For me, BL is often also just a breath of fresh air, because it usually gives the MC some kind of agency that lets them be badass without the ML interrupting at every turn.
Not to mention that more often than not the power balance between the characters feels much fairer than in many BGs

BlackKnightX

I remember the first time I got into the genre. I was reading a lot of Japanese isekai harem web novels/light novels on Novel Updates at the time. I was frustrated with all the dense MCs and how the female characters treated them.

There seems to be this distance going on even though they love each other and have already become intimate. Like when the MC accidentally sees the female lead naked and gets slapped in the face. That one still makes sense somewhat, but there are many others that don't make sense at all. Like when the MC gets accused of being a pervert and acts all flustered for no reason. Or when the female lead uses physical violence for stupid reasons. We've all seen it.

But then I stumbled upon the first gender-bender GL novel—My Life with Tail, I think. The male MC gets isekaied to another world as a cute loli dragon. She meets a demon girl who can use magic and begins traveling together. They get closer and closer until they realize they're in love with each other.

I can relate to the MC because he's basically a guy, just in a girl's body, but he still has the guy mentality and still loves women.

When you're the same sex as your significant others, the distance I've mentioned before disappears. You worry about the same bodily problem like menstruation and the way you dress and take care of yourself, etc. You bathe and sleep together even before you become intimate. It also gives a unique flavor.

Most important of all, though, is that in most Japanese anime, light novels, and manga, there's this power imbalance between male and female characters, especially if written by male authors; the ladies seem to hold the power and authority while the guys bow down for no reason. I can just blame it on bad writing, but ever since I'd stumbled upon the gender-bender GL, it's been nice being the one in power for once.

From that point on, I became obsessed with gender-bender GL. I'm not as obsessed now, though. Now, I see it more as a variety and comedy.

Last edited:

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Its hot. Me and @RepresentingEnvy kiss from time to time :blob_hide:. Altho, my partner is @TheMonotonePuppet sometimes. Her lips are kinda rough. :sweating_profusely:
I didn't expect you to reveal our paramour to the world, darling! Oh, how scandalous! And something so personal? You, of all people, should know that it is all the better to interlock faces with, my dear. The friction gives it more of a... a...
Naughty device feel.
:devilish: