A what if question, if you could go back in time to one point.

Kenjona

If you could go back in time to one point in time and live from there. With the following caveats, you cannot change the progress of the timeline that has already been written (No killing Hitler, no stopping Covid-19) and will never meet yourself or change your past. You will arrive at the time and place you desire at the age you want to be with the knowledge you have right now. When and where and at what age do you want to be?

you can't change the timeline so you'd just relive everything again، helplessly doing the same mistakes all over.

Kenjona

FYI, if I did not make it clear you are not going back into your own body. You are going back to some point in time, your choice, at the age you want to be, again your choice, but you will never meet yourself at any point in that timeline. So you are not the past you but the future you at some point in time.
So lets say I want to be 20 years old in 1846 in Sacramento California.

Aslan659

Even if you dont do obvious changes like killing Hitler, still you would alter the timeline just by being there(probably)

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Even if you dont do obvious changes like killing Hitler, still you would alter the timeline just by being there(probably)
Unless the history you lived through already existed under the assumption you time traveled to the past.

Kenjona

Will you? How do you know this? maybe you are already part of the time line and just do not know it yet.
Unless the history you lived through already existed under the assumption you time traveled to the past.
But yes this!

Leyligne

There’s this theory that there are these things called multiple states in physics, that when you travel back in time it would simply be another state of the timeline, and would affect nothing.

As for the question, if I found a TARDIS and could go whenever? That’s really hard to answer. Things weren’t like what we think, and the further back you go the more warped history gets. Maybe go back to the earliest of days for humanity and see if the kindling wars were real? Or at least go see what dinosaurs really looked like since we really can’t agree on that, even.

AryaX

Every particle that was once Hitler is here on earth today (unless they've encountered antimatter, or been brushed off by solar winds or something), and they, like everything else, are moving through time towards the future... So even if you could travel back in time, you couldn't kill Hitler or do anything really... While you were going back, everything else in the universe would continue their trek towards the future... Away from you... So... While you "might" reach the point in space and time where Hitler... or something... was... All you would find there is empty void... No?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'd like to go back to when I met my first love. Even if I couldn't change anything, I would enjoy living through that again.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I'd like to go back to when I met my first love. Even if I couldn't change anything, I would enjoy living through that again.
When I saw you post here, I was certain you'd plan to do it with some historical figure. (Though for your own history, this would still be accurate)

Kenjona

"and will never meet yourself or change your past." Means you yourself has already met your first love and already lived that life, you cannot live it again. Unless you want to be a voyeur and just watch yourself from a distance?

Everyone seems to like to overcomplicate things with talking about time.
It was really a simple question, you get to go back in time; you select where and how old you are, you just cannot change written history, it is going to happen even if you try. Become a gold miner in 1840 California sure, you just will not be credited to be the one who discovered gold. That happens on January 24, 1848, when gold was found by James W. Marshall at Sutter's Mill in Coloma, California.

Last edited:

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
Seeing as I believe in the concept of limitless alternate realities, meaning all possibilities are simultaneously happening, if you went back into the past you WOULD alter the future, but it would have no bearing on this current timeline due to the one you entered now branching off into its own unique and uncharted plotline.

SternenklarenRitter

Am I the only one who thinks the world currently is the kindest, safest, and most prosperous it ever has been? Although to some extent we are trading interpersonal threats (mob lynchings are decreasing almost everywhere [I know you can be better than this people of India]) for those from the degraded natural environment (droughts, hurricanes, and mosquitos kill at higher rates every year). Although I would like to be 9 years old again... I kinda miss being able to throw tantrums with the confidence that any nearby adult could safely restrain me.

probably just go to the nearest past like 5 seconds ago. it just need like 5 seconds before i can start to change things since it's already the present.

since i can change my age, can i just set my age into immortal? since the location is not limited to Earth, i'd go into a super-advanced and kind civilization that would gladly accept a country bumpkin from earth?

i'd probably try to live and work there and probably return on earth on a spaceship. though everyone i knew might have died at that point, so i'd probably could only observe the evolution of memes.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Meet and speak with Theodore Roosevelt. He has also been an inspiration to me and I believe he would be a great guy to meet.

Kenjona

probably just go to the nearest past like 5 seconds ago. it just need like 5 seconds before i can start to change things since it's already the present.

since i can change my age, can i just set my age into immortal? since the location is not limited to Earth, i'd go into a super-advanced and kind civilization that would gladly accept a country bumpkin from earth?

i'd probably try to live and work there and probably return on earth on a spaceship. though everyone i knew might have died at that point, so i'd probably could only observe the evolution of memes.
I like the nearest 5 second past bit, especially since you almost made it to one of the earth bound loopholes. But no to immortal that is not an age but a state of being. Lobsters are immortal, but they still have an "age". As far as alien civilization, you would be a human in that civilization, good luck! You get to change time, place and age.

FYI there is a major loophole with what I wrote, Powerball and Mega Millions ticket sales usually close at 10:00Eastern Standard Time. You can watch all the balls being picked at 10:59. When the last ball is picked, go back in time to one and a half hours before, and buy a ticket. No winner has been registered yet, nothing is documented on who won, who knows it could have been you, so you can be the winner. Though you do have to set your age to at least 18 to purchase tickets in most places.
Am I the only one who thinks the world currently is the kindest, safest, and most prosperous it ever has been? Although to some extent we are trading interpersonal threats (mob lynchings are decreasing almost everywhere [I know you can be better than this people of India]) for those from the degraded natural environment (droughts, hurricanes, and mosquitos kill at higher rates every year). Although I would like to be 9 years old again... I kinda miss being able to throw tantrums with the confidence that any nearby adult could safely restrain me.
As someone who spent a majority of his life in various parts of the world. I can most definitely give an Amen to this. There has been much social progress through out the world. We are not fully there yet and some places seriously backslid in the past 10 years. Meh, you can keep your tantrums though.