Always judge a book by its cover

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Have you ever seen a really bad cover that made you ignore a book? Perhaps a cover is what led you to pick up that really crappy book once. Either way, we all know the type of covers we'll pick up and won't. Well, let me show you some covers from a hilarious site called Always judge a book by its cover.

07-talk-to-your-cat.jpg
03-outwitting-squirrels.jpg
15-toilet-paper-origami.jpg
40-survive-gnome-attack.jpg
38-eating-people-is-wrong.jpg
26-i-dont-care-if-my-best-friend.jpg
01-lions-nuts.jpg
19-but-youre-a-horse.jpg
04-dont-jerk-to.jpg

36-crap-taxidermy.jpg
10-everything-i-learned.jpg
35-dumb-birds.jpg
31-raise-your-iq.jpg

Attachments

• 42-fifty-shades-chicken.jpg
    42-fifty-shades-chicken.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 22

Paul_Tromba

Daaamn.

I wanted to describe my experiences with misleading covers, but daaamn.
I mean, you still can. That is the point of my thread but I was using these as references for attention grabbing covers with little quality inside.

LilRora

Mostly formless
I mean, you still can. That is the point of my thread but I was using these as references for attention grabbing covers with little quality inside.
I'm afraid not one of my experiences can beat what you've shown us here.

Paul_Tromba

I'm afraid not one of my experiences can beat what you've shown us here.
These are just the poster children of bad covers. It's not a competition. Share your experiences so that we may understand.

Redemit

Absurd images and titles will inevitably cause a WTF response in the brain which will then turn into a nagging desire to understand just WTH is going on with that damn book thus causing the reader to open it up and start reading

Last edited:

LilRora

Mostly formless
These are just the poster children of bad covers. It's not a competition. Share your experiences so that we may understand.
Well, first and foremost are all the times I've been looking for a story with a female mc and clicked on a story with a girl or a woman on the cover only to find out it's a smut harem. It has happened too many times to count and I'm honestly tired of it.

On a more positive note, one of my favorite books of all time has a cover I could make myself in ten to twenty minutes. Basically a yellowish circle with the middle cut out so it looks like a moon, on a black background with some dots for stars and other smaller details. All in a single gradient of color, I think. It's unfortunately gone now (it's not showing up in searches on Scribble, at least) but it was called Celestial.

I'm sure there were a lot more of those, but I don't remember at the moment.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Have you ever seen a really bad cover that made you ignore a book? Perhaps a cover is what led you to pick up that really crappy book once. Either way, we all know the type of covers we'll pick up and won't. Well, let me show you some covers from a hilarious site called Always judge a book by its cover.

View attachment 23293View attachment 23294View attachment 23295View attachment 23296View attachment 23297View attachment 23299View attachment 23300View attachment 23301View attachment 23302
View attachment 23303View attachment 23304View attachment 23305View attachment 23306
Just by the covers I would never read one of them.