Amazing VR game idea

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
I forgot this one game's title, but basically the idea of the game is that it registers every time you blink, and every time you do the player character relives a new memory. I heard it was a really sad game, but I haven't really seen much gameplay of it.

There's also those VR face your fear games where you're stuck in one place while a terrifying scenario happens to you. I remember playing the one where it illicits the fear of heights thing as you get carried by a giant robot and stuff.

So, I thought of something. Why not combine those two concepts. The player is stuck inside a bedroom like in the face your fear games, and the game will register your blinks so that every time you blink the in game character blinks.

With every blink, a new scenario will happen. Sometimes something might just be in a different place, and other times there might be a shadow in the corner of the room. If there's a shadow, thats where the eye closing mechanic comes in.

If you let the shadows remain in the room for longer than a few seconds, then the next time you blink there'll be a jump scare, and depending on the type of spirit, depends on if you die or not. The only way for that not to happen would be to close your eyes for a certain amount of time until they go away, and depending on the type of spirit depends on how long to close your eyes for.

Lets say, Weak spirit = 5 seconds of eyes close, Medium Spirit = 7, and Strong spirit = 10.

Of course the moment you close your eyes that means the voices in your head start speaking also. Also to keep people from keeping their eyes closed the whole game, there'd of course be punishments.

If the player keeps their eyes closed for 5-9 seconds without a spirit spawned, then the next time they open their eyes a spirit will automatically spawn. If the player character keeps their eyes closed for 10+ seconds, they will get a jump scare from a weak spirit the next time they open their eyes. If the layer keeps they're eyes closed for 15+ seconds, a special type of spirit will spawn that will force their eyes open and insta kill them.

As for the win condition, lets just say basic fnaf rules where you have to survive the night, and each night that passes will get progressively harder.

This is just my brainstorm from last night, and shit I made up as I'm writing this. Good idea or not?

TMBTL

I forgot this one game's title, but basically the idea of the game is that it registers every time you blink, and every time you do the player character relives a new memory. I heard it was a really sad game, but I haven't really seen much gameplay of it.

There's also those VR face your fear games where you're stuck in one place while a terrifying scenario happens to you. I remember playing the one where it illicits the fear of heights thing as you get carried by a giant robot and stuff.

So, I thought of something. Why not combine those two concepts. The player is stuck inside a bedroom like in the face your fear games, and the game will register your blinks so that every time you blink the in game character blinks.

With every blink, a new scenario will happen. Sometimes something might just be in a different place, and other times there might be a shadow in the corner of the room. If there's a shadow, thats where the eye closing mechanic comes in.

If you let the shadows remain in the room for longer than a few seconds, then the next time you blink there'll be a jump scare, and depending on the type of spirit, depends on if you die or not. The only way for that not to happen would be to close your eyes for a certain amount of time until they go away, and depending on the type of spirit depends on how long to close your eyes for.

Lets say, Weak spirit = 5 seconds of eyes close, Medium Spirit = 7, and Strong spirit = 10.

Of course the moment you close your eyes that means the voices in your head start speaking also. Also to keep people from keeping their eyes closed the whole game, there'd of course be punishments.

If the player keeps their eyes closed for 5-9 seconds without a spirit spawned, then the next time they open their eyes a spirit will automatically spawn. If the player character keeps their eyes closed for 10+ seconds, they will get a jump scare from a weak spirit the next time they open their eyes. If the layer keeps they're eyes closed for 15+ seconds, a special type of spirit will spawn that will force their eyes open and insta kill them.

As for the win condition, lets just say basic fnaf rules where you have to survive the night, and each night that passes will get progressively harder.

This is just my brainstorm from last night, and shit I made up as I'm writing this. Good idea or not?

Its alright. The part about the shadow and structure appearance needs to be explained better and fleshed out better. It could be a good horror subplot or a short arc for your story that overall has an objective and reason on why this is happening. These are just my thoughts.

Bigkitten_090

i'd play this and then get to scared to continue lol
with no where to run i'd panic and start blinking more

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery

Here, you can do this but in VR
waifu horror 10tsundere/6burgers

Le_ther

Your going to cause a lot of people to die with heart attacks but a nice idea.

Keriahenta

The blink game is called before your eyes i think..

The idea is cool, but i think the fnaf like win condition would be boring. In fnaf you have different animatronics, with different ways to avoid them so the gameplay isn't too repetitive. In this game however, the only way to avoid the spirit is just closing your eyes, so the entire gameplay would be just find a spirit, and close your eyes, thats it. I think a better way us to reward the players by not closing their eyes, so they'll see a memory and everytime they blink the memory would change (like in before your eyes), and a spirit will show up randomly in one of those memories. So the more you open your eyes the more you will understand the story but you risk getting jumpscared by the spirits
The blink game is called before your eyes i think..

The idea is cool, but i think the fnaf like win condition would be boring. In fnaf you have different animatronics, with different ways to avoid them so the gameplay isn't too repetitive. In this game however, the only way to avoid the spirit is just closing your eyes, so the entire gameplay would be just find a spirit, and close your eyes, thats it. I think a better way us to reward the players by not closing their eyes, so they'll see a memory and everytime they blink the memory would change (like in before your eyes), and a spirit will show up randomly in one of those memories. So the more you open your eyes the more you will understand the story but you risk getting jumpscared by the spirits
The spirits should be identifiable if you pay attention to the story, for example if the mother's eyes is green in one memory and in another is black, that means the spirit is there. And the identifying process should be harder the further you progressed into the memories. Like in the first memories it will be the mother's eyes, in the 10th it will be the tires of a car in the corner of your vision. And to add some fun, we can add personalites for the spirits, like some will mock you for closing your eyes, some will commend you, etc.

Last edited:

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
The spirits should be identifiable if you pay attention to the story, for example if the mother's eyes is green in one memory and in another is black, that means the spirit is there. And the identifying process should be harder the further you progressed into the memories. Like in the first memories it will be the mother's eyes, in the 10th it will be the tires of a car in the corner of your vision. And to add some fun, we can add personalites for the spirits, like some will mock you for closing your eyes, some will commend you, etc.
If taken in that direction, it could be a good mystery horror game. Like how in phasmaphobia, the ultimate task is to figure out the type of ghost you're hunting. It can maybe be something like that, where the ultimate task is to figure out who the ghost is based off of the memories presented. And maybe figure out the differences between good and bad ghosts with the end goal being something like figuring out which ghost is the killer of the three other ghosts who are the victims.

There's a lot of ways that this concept can be taken. I wish I could code cause I'd make this game in a heartbeat just to test out how the concept could work.
I think a better way us to reward the players by not closing their eyes,
Well if you don't close your eyes then a scary scene won't play and time will still advance like normal. Like if its taken in a fnaf style, then lets say there's five hours in a night. Things don't change until you close your eyes but time will still advance. If the player can keep their eyes open for a long time, then they'd have an advantage cause if they don't close their eyes, nothing scary will happen. The main fear this type of game will prey upon is the fear of opening your eyes.

Kind of like how Junji Ito will abuse the page turn when reading his horror manga, thats the type of fear this game would tap into. Though again I can't code much outside of just printing words on a screen in python and random number generators.

Last edited:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
No tits, no joy
Weird to see a Nota family member here, but I concur.

No tits, no joy.

Also, the whole blinking mechanism feels like an RL punishment. The headset must have a camera to track the eyes and therefore the pupils, so why not throw in shadows at the corner of your eyes. Don't put it in a small room, make the player explore, have the shadow juussst nice at the corner of their eyes but never revealed until jumpscare.

To hell, you can even allow the player to move and run even while closing their eyes, but be careful, you might slip and fall...

melchi

What is a custom title?
Yeah blinking is a terrible way to control a game. Also jump scares in vr are meh. I tried to play FNAF in vr and the best part of the game was looking around the room in the title area.

Phasma phobia in vr is even more meh because the camera angles really don't work well in that game in vr. Also completely making the screen black is more like blindfolding someone in vr. So rather than being dark and scary it turns into unsafe to play, uninstall.

There was this resident evil tied to a chair thing but I never got the guts to try it out.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Also completely making the screen black is more like blindfolding someone in vr. So rather than being dark and scary it turns into unsafe to play, uninstall.
The game blinks when you blink. There'd be no point at when you'd ever really see the dark blinking screen cause it only happens when you blink. There might be some lag in the process, but it'd barely be a second and can be optimized.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
What I would give for this blink mechanic in VR to be implemented in say, something like an SCP game. Would make escaping/interacting with SCP-173 so much more fun. Would also make navigating around SCP-096 trickier.