Any Custom Mechanical Keyboard Nerds Here?

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I got a 20 dollar gaming keyboard from the clearance bin. It has lights that you can’t shutoff and it lights up in the colors of the rainbow, but not in roygbiv order.

RavensDagger

Heck yeah!

I never built a custom board. I used a Durgod Taurus Corona (Cherry Blue) for a long time, now I'm using a Varmillo Lure (Sakura) to type.

I love the clicky clacks.

I also don't believe for a moment that the quality of a keyboard has any noticeable impact on someone's ability to write, beyond having some sort of functioning board.

whitesculptor

The princess whispers & the keyboard clacks.
At minimum expensive keyboards help with the latency for games, but to be fair, it's mainly for the looks and colorful aspect. If you ask my sincere opinion on those after trying a few, it's a complete waste of money. They also get ruined faster than non-mechanical keyboards.

Ispheria

Staff member
Certain aspects of custom mechs aren't just aesthetic. Split ergonomic keyboards are better as the name implies for ergonomics. And being able to remap the keys on any decent mech allowed you to switch to better keyboard layouts because qwerty is objectively the worst one in terms of ergonomics.

I've never heard anyone genuinely say that mechs get ruined faster than rubber dome keyboards.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I wouldn't bother on a custom one. Just simple cherry blue switches. While moving away from qwerty may sound good in theory, in reality is that only works if you plan to forever never use qwerty again. Cause going back and forth between keyboards messes with you.

At minimum expensive keyboards help with the latency for games, but to be fair, it's mainly for the looks and colorful aspect. If you ask my sincere opinion on those after trying a few, it's a complete waste of money. They also get ruined faster than non-mechanical keyboards.
Ah, no. A mechancial keyboard is rated for WAY more keypresses than a rubber dome. That is one of the advantages of it, alongside multikey rollover. Now if there are other fancy aspects to the keyboard, then maybe those fail. Or if you have a fake mechanical keyboard.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
My best friend is, but I choose to spend my money on other things.

Ispheria

Staff member
Logitech
Those things are built for the goddamn apocalypse, seems like.
Which one specifically? Do you use the Romer-G switches that everyone seems to hate or a cherry switch (and in that case linear tactile or clicky)?

whitesculptor

I wouldn't bother on a custom one. Just simple cherry blue switches. While moving away from qwerty may sound good in theory, in reality is that only works if you plan to forever never use qwerty again. Cause going back and forth between keyboards messes with you.

Ah, no. A mechancial keyboard is rated for WAY more keypresses than a rubber dome. That is one of the advantages of it, alongside multikey rollover. Now if there are other fancy aspects to the keyboard, then maybe those fail. Or if you have a fake mechanical keyboard.
"Supposedly," but alas, my old type of keyboards have proved sturdier than mechanical ones by a large margin. I even have one of those from the 90' a white Microsoft one, and I can tell you that it has lasted 20 years of hard work. My two mechanical keyboards lasted about 8 to 10 months each. Could've been "bad luck" but that's my experience with them, from some RGB lights to die, the key no longer doing the contact becoming useless, both between 100~200€.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
"Supposedly," but alas, my old type of keyboards have proved sturdier than mechanical ones by a large margin. I even have one of those from the 90' a white Microsoft one, and I can tell you that it has lasted 20 years of hard work. My two mechanical keyboards lasted about 8 to 10 months each. Could've been "bad luck" but that's my experience with them, from some RGB lights to die, the key no longer doing the contact becoming useless, both between 100~200€.
And is that old keyboard rubber dom? Also, what models and type of switches were the 2 keyboards you have? I've had multiple mechanical keyboards. The only failure I had was due to one being a fake mechanical keyboard, and the other one was cause someone put heavy stuff on top of it for a prolong period of time. Other than that, the 4 I have now all lasted over a decade.

whitesculptor

And is that old keyboard rubber dom? Also, what models and type of switches were the 2 keyboards you have? I've had multiple mechanical keyboards. The only failure I had was due to one being a fake mechanical keyboard, and the other one was cause someone put heavy stuff on top of it for a prolong period of time. Other than that, the 4 I have now all lasted over a decade.
Purple switch.
Brown switch one died faster(2nd one).
I'm no expert btw, just speaking out of my personal experience. And by all means ain't wasting money on them in the future. But to both what happened were keys no longer working, like you press and nothing happens, mainly the qweasd keys and space bar. (Gaming keys) sort of.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Which one specifically? Do you use the Romer-G switches that everyone seems to hate or a cherry switch (and in that case linear tactile or clicky)?
Loterally anything from Logitech is built good, people who whine about Romer-G switches are just lil bitches. It takes getting used to but after that its pretty comfortable to use

Personally, I use the cherry mx blue. Typing on that thing is an orgasmic experience, mate.