Anyone knows German?

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Uh! I really like that! I actually didn't think about disciples and such yet but that would likely be a good way to translate that :blob_hmm_two:

So I guess we're ruling Praktikant out completely then. Praktizierender is actually growing on me a bit despite being a mouthful because, in one of the stories, the lore is that cultivators are basically one group of practitioners that, well, practice cultivation while others would practice the way of whatever. In that situation, Praktizierender might sound broader than martial artist so might fit better. In the other stories, practitioners and cultivators are more or less interchangeable since it's never really addressed so I could go with something easier there I think :blob_hmm_two:

:blob_no:

Oh! I really like Fraktion as an idea. Although that might work best for the factions maybe? Like, there's a good and evil faction which have several sects each.

Also, I'm slowly realizing that maybe I should have incorporated more information on how all of that works in the stories in the OP because that really changes it. Didn't think of that before :blob_no:

:blob_melt: I just want to tell you that these are all very specific terms you use. And they have all a very specific meaning. So be careful with them, Bund, Verbund, Fraktion. They don't mean the same. A Bund is not the same as an alliance. Quite the contrary. A Bund is not a Bündniss.

RedPanda

Well, most German can read English, and the English community is far bigger. Even I write my stories in English and publish them here, instead of releasing them in German.

By the way, if you have more questions about the german language just say so.

Assurbanipal_II

Actually, Germans used to call other fellows Bruder or Schwester, when patriotism wasn’t associated with NS.

Members of Bruderschaften and Schwesternschaften might still call each other so. :blob_hmm_two:

Schwester Fisch! :blob_aww:

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Actually, Germans used to call other fellows Bruder or Schwester, when patriotism wasn’t associated with NS.

Members of Bruderschaften and Schwesternschaften might still call each other so. :blob_hmm_two:
Yeah, I don't think Bruder and Schwester would be so bad either. And if it's in the context of a Bruderschaft, it shouldn't make readers wonder too much either.

:blob_melt: I just want to tell you that these are all very specific terms you use. And they have all a very specific meaning. So be careful with them, Bund, Verbund, Fraktion. They don't mean the same. A Bund is not the same as an alliance. Quite the contrary. A Bund is not a Bündniss.
The question is: Does the average German reader know the difference? :blob_sweat: Or would they even consider it a difference in contemporary German? To me, personally, it sounds pretty much like the same overall concept (like, some groups joining together for some cause?) at least. In fact, I couldn't tell you what the difference is exactly if you asked me right now. There might be a historical one or maybe in a political sense but I don't think it'd make that much of a difference in the story itself.
Other than maybe Fraktion. That does give me a different feeling even though it's still about groups joining together :blob_hmm_two:

Well, most German can read English, and the English community is far bigger. Even I write my stories in English and publish them here, instead of releasing them in German.
I think that totally depends on what exactly you write and how you go about it. If it's just xianxia and just for the fun of it, then yeah, writing in English and publishing here is likely better. When considering avenues to sell though, I have made the experience that I'm actually making more bank with German stories on Amazon than with the English equivalents. It usually can't compare with Patreon but it's still nice to have on top if you want to live off of writing. So translating this is kind of important for me. I was just dragging my feet on the cultivation stuff because it's more difficult than the others so I started on those first. But there isn't that much other stuff left so I can't keep procrastinating forever :blob_pout:

Assurbanipal_II

Yeah, I don't think Bruder and Schwester would be so bad either. And if it's in the context of a Bruderschaft, it shouldn't make readers wonder too much either.

The question is: Does the average German reader know the difference? :blob_sweat: Or would they even consider it a difference in contemporary German? To me, personally, it sounds pretty much like the same overall concept (like, some groups joining together for some cause?) at least. In fact, I couldn't tell you what the difference is exactly if you asked me right now. There might be a historical one or maybe in a political sense but I don't think it'd make that much of a difference in the story itself.
Other than maybe Fraktion. That does give me a different feeling even though it's still about groups joining together :blob_hmm_two:

I think that totally depends on what exactly you write and how you go about it. If it's just xianxia and just for the fun of it, then yeah, writing in English and publishing here is likely better. When considering avenues to sell though, I have made the experience that I'm actually making more bank with German stories on Amazon than with the English equivalents. It usually can't compare with Patreon but it's still nice to have on top if you want to live off of writing. So translating this is kind of important for me. I was just dragging my feet on the cultivation stuff because it's more difficult than the others so I started on those first. But there isn't that much other stuff left so I can't keep procrastinating forever :blob_pout:

Many won't know the difference as the Allgemeinbildung is deteriorating dramatically for quite a while, but I do and I would be quite angry about this lack of precision.

Bund is more encompassing compared to a simple Bündniss. Bündnisse are temporary and can change, a Bund is permanent. Ein Bund fürs Leben.

Fraktion is known primarily known vor dem Hintergrund der parlamnetarischen Arbeit. Partei is the recommendable translation, or Seite.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Many won't know the difference as the Allgemeinbildung is deteriorating dramatically for quite a while, but I do and I would be quite angry about this lack of precision.
I do agree with the first part, unfortunately. Can't really say it's turning for the better either :blob_no: I think I have a bit of a different perspective on the latter though. If there's not much of a difference in meaning, especially in contemporary language (which is always what I try to look at), then I actually prefer to go with what I feel sounds better in context. IMO, it contributes to the atmosphere of the story which I think is important. Even more so in something with a different world background.

Assurbanipal_II

I do agree with the first part, unfortunately. Can't really say it's turning for the better either :blob_no: I think I have a bit of a different perspective on the latter though. If there's not much of a difference in meaning, especially in contemporary language (which is always what I try to look at), then I actually prefer to go with what I feel sounds better in context. IMO, it contributes to the atmosphere of the story which I think is important. Even more so in something with a different world background.
Do whatever you please, but as said, just be careful. :blob_reach: Otherwise, you might end up like this.

Assurbanipal_II

I’m just a Xianxia loving fish. How should I know what you mean with Quellenstudium?
I’m just a Xianxia loving fish. How should I know what you mean with Quellenstudium?

Studium just means to learn hard, to study. It has nothing to do with university at all. :blob_teary: So why should I diss you?