Bare minimum for a superpower

MasFaqih

Normal White Cat | Fluffy | Can bite really hard
Being able to dump a holy excrement.

Haku45

the ability to change your body with swords and steel. But you will feel pain.

Ruti

Your toes are now forklift. Get licensed now!
Being supernaturally boring. You're so forgettable that you can get away with fairly serious crimes because the witnesses can't remember any meaningful traits or reliably pick you of a lineup, but you're also doomed to forever be a wallflower at parties and terrible at dating.
theres actually an Xman character with that power.
It’s easy to come up with a bad ability like ‘the power to tell magnetic north whenever you stand on one leg and touch your thumbs together‘ but what about an ability that is just barely better then just giving an average guy a gun or sword?
you can summon guns, but you don't get ammo
The ability to not be poisoned
very strong. Why? Steroids, and basically any other fantasy potion that has a detriment but with an upside. After all, the detriment is "poison" while the positive Is "medicine"

Last edited:

seahorsepink1

I’ve seen plenty of discussions on bad or the worst abilities to give a character, but what are the barely passable ones like?

It’s easy to come up with a bad ability like ‘the power to tell magnetic north whenever you stand on one leg and touch your thumbs together‘ but what about an ability that is just barely better then just giving an average guy a gun or sword?

Asking because I genuinely don’t have any answers myself, but think the concept is interesting.
The ability to take over someone's body for 5 seconds, but then your body is unconscious when you do.

big0bang0fother

فهرستی از جهان هایی که می شناسید و می توانید به آن سفر کنید؟
اما آیا به محض ورود شما توسط ابرقدرت های جهان یا خود جهان دفع می شوید یا نابود و شکار می شوید؟
و برای زنده ماندن باید ماموریت موجودی در سطح چندجهانی را در آن دنیا به پایان برسانید زیرا آن موجود مدام در حال حمله یا ارسال هشدار به دنیای هدف است تا شما با حواس پرتی وارد شوید و خود را با دنیا تطبیق دهید؟
یا توانایی حبس نفس و نفس نکشیدن
نه تنها نامرئی هستید، بلکه صدایی در نمی آورید و به هیچ وجه دیده نمی شوید
فقط باید مدت زمان تنفس نکردن و دانگ را افزایش دهید
شما تبدیل به یک دزد کامل خواهید شد

shadowniy

As for invisibility, besides eye-powers that can see through your invisibility, another good limiter (or counter) would be reflective surfaces, like mirrors. It's the opposite of vampires that have no reflections in mirrors. Mirrors are said to reveal the truth, so if you're using invisibility, try not to look directly into any mirrors, because if you catch your own reflection, you dispel your own invisibility.
I think that depends on the form of invisibility. I always thought the mystery men were pretty good about it, with the invisible boy only being invisible when no one looks at him.

An example of major downsides to being invisible could be that you become blind as to be invisible, light can never touch you, and you need light to hit the back of your eye to be able to see

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
I think that depends on the form of invisibility. I always thought the mystery men were pretty good about it, with the invisible boy only being invisible when no one looks at him.

An example of major downsides to being invisible could be that you become blind as to be invisible, light can never touch you, and you need light to hit the back of your eye to be able to see
Interesting.

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
Came across this one in the title of a Japanese web novel recently:

Disappointing Teleportation Magic ~ Even Though The Movement Distance Is Only 1 Millimeter, I Will Rise Through Ingenuity ~

When walking normally is faster than teleporting, you have an issue.

doravg

137/4001 (finally counted the stories)
Being able to remember people's names. I need me that superpower. XD