Bare minimum for a superpower

Jerynboe

Telekinesis with equivalent strength and manual dexterity to what you can exert with one hand, in a sphere equal to the length of your arms extending from your own center of mass. Occasionally useful, definitely a leg up over the normies, but nothing super impressive.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
This power lets you telekinetically interfere with (or maybe even strangle) 5 opponents at once with the clothes they're wearing and still be free to wield another weapon in your hands at the same time. Basically undefeatable in a firefight.
Ah, that’s what I forgot to emphasize. I meant “mental grasp” as in you are “holding” onto a specific point. And what I forgot to describe. You can only push and pull.
And that jogs my memory for a restriction I forgot. Your manipulation only works if they are within eyesight of you.

Thanks for reminding me! Should be solved now.
Dude can still strangle them, interfere with them, etc. If he gets sniped, or surrounded, or they just unleash machine guns wildly, he’ll still likely die regardless of interference. Better than a gun only sometimes now.
P.S. you become limp as a noodle without sparing one of your thought processes. In 99% of circumstances, that’s not useful, so you really only have 4 parallel thought processes for fabric manipulation.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
I’ve seen plenty of discussions on bad or the worst abilities to give a character, but what are the barely passable ones like?

It’s easy to come up with a bad ability like ‘the power to tell magnetic north whenever you stand on one leg and touch your thumbs together‘ but what about an ability that is just barely better then just giving an average guy a gun or sword?

Asking because I genuinely don’t have any answers myself, but think the concept is interesting.
The ability to stay awake, and not lose any functionality, for as long as you have coffee to drink.

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
Telekinesis, but limited to your physical strength, and a range of about six inches (15 cm) from you. Perfect for short people: now you can reach that top shelf.

The ability to always have a specific item on hand, such as a pen, phone, or sewing needle, no matter where you left it last. Must be bound to the item; one item at a time. Size limit and ownership requirement.

The ability to approach and pet any animal (including wild animals) without them being hostile. Note that any action other than petting will trigger a response.

Last edited:

Romiz18

One ability that comes to mind is being able to sleep for a short period of time. Indeed, you still need to sleep, but only for 2-3 hours. This is in comparison to normal people who sleep for a range of 5-7 hours, or even more.

The thing is, it's not really a superpower since there are some people who are actually able to do this. But having this ability is indeed quite helpful.

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
Telekinesis with equivalent strength and manual dexterity to what you can exert with one hand, in a sphere equal to the length of your arms extending from your own center of mass. Occasionally useful, definitely a leg up over the normies, but nothing super impressive.
...Brainpunch? Psychokinetic Eyeball Pulling?
The ability to not be poisoned
Wait, wait, wait a second! YOU DON'T KNOW HOW OP IT IS? LET ME EXPLAIN IT TO YOU!
OP cause you can win drinking contests, but it comes with a terrible downside: you can't get drunk!
The ability to always have a specific item on hand, such as a pen, phone, or sewing needle, no matter where you left it last. Must be bound to the item; one item at a time. Size limit and ownership requirement.
Pretty useful. Could be used to sneak a gun or bomb in anywhere.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 35 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
The ability to not feel any pain when you step on lego blocks.
I'd like the ability to not break my kid's toys when they're left underfoot. Then again, me accidentally stepping on them is a natural consequence to him not putting them away, so it's actually helpful to the learning process.

Sola-sama

Human Supremacist African Warlord
The ability to... be loved like how some peeps love their pets (doggo, birb, or other pets).

quagma

subatomic cephalopod
the ability to look like almost anything. you can shapeshift OR camouflage exactly half of yourself at any one time.

ʅ(°_°)ʃ

TsuruI_am_a_bot

Yandere Robot / Wife of Botty
I’ve seen plenty of discussions on bad or the worst abilities to give a character, but what are the barely passable ones like?

It’s easy to come up with a bad ability like ‘the power to tell magnetic north whenever you stand on one leg and touch your thumbs together‘ but what about an ability that is just barely better then just giving an average guy a gun or sword?

Asking because I genuinely don’t have any answers myself, but think the concept is interesting.
Boost stamina +30%
Wow the dude can escape easier compared to fighting with a sword an enemy

Can use +1 spell / day for a mage
Falcon eye power
Higher density of muscles, just a little more
Stopping time for 2s / day
Able to tell lies (only knowing its a lie, cant know if its voluntary or involuntary, nor know if the info is correct or not)
Can turn his arms into steel. But not higher strength. Just the hardness. And i repeat : just the arms.
Teleport to home, power
Fly to destination, power

Disarm the enemy and ally included in XX perimeter
Peace zone power. Anyone in the zone can't harm each other nor even have the thought to hurt others (plans to harm after it ends too, can't).
A shield power that can work for 5min but your fingers/body can't interact with anything (shield all around your body block yourself to touch stuff)
Illumination power (your whole body can emit light/can flash the enemy=can't see) (user can't see anything too)
Stop time, but EVERYTHING even yourself is frozen (everything is dark but your thoughts can still work / light is timestopped) (a old JP WN did that, the meh one where only MC had powers and try to create a evil organization for fun => to fight himself or something. Its "FL" having this time power)
Stun the enemy but also stun yourself in position (kinda like shadow jutsu naruto)
Shield that makes everyone around XX meters fall asleep. But you can't move at all.
Can do a kamehameha/laser beam but need to focus very hard, and scream loudly for it
Can always wake up in time, so the user can always train early

CipherSage

Honestly, if they have more than one superpower, then they're overpowered. If they only have one superpower, then they're technically not.

CorvusG

Being a really good liar. Like, no one ever calls you out on your bullshit good, or if they do, you can just bullshit more.

Thraben

I have a backburner fic about categorically bad superpowers being acquired by a group of college students in a DCU mockup. One of the powers I love writing is the primary love interest's, she can reverberate impacts she makes. It she punches something, half a second later a 1/2 strength of her punch impact will occur there, then half a second later, a 1/4, then half a second later a 1/8, ad nauseam. It stops somewhere after 1/128 though no character knows where.

Functionally, she gives really good massages BUT if you somehow helped her hit much harder than a normal human (which is what she is otherwise), it would be devastating.