Best song to increase productivity when writing?

What song made you the most productive?

• Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Experience by Ludovico Einaudi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Visions by Guilhem Desq

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Under the Bridge by The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • For Health and for Company by The Longest Johns

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Misty Mountains from the Hobbit Soundtrack

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 18 72.0%

• Total voters

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
YOUTUBE
SEARCH FOR CHANNEL 'BLUE TURTLE'
YOU ARE WELCOME.
Aight. This was good. Thanks for the share.

Someone I go to regularly is Patricia Janečková. She has some stuff on youtube. It's opera in case anyone likes that sort of thing. Although I haven't used her music for productivity.

Auratic

I've noticed that most songs with vocals that I can understand distract me more often than it helps. In turn I used few Gregorian monks' chant or foreign media. But any song after multiple repetitions becomes a white noise that's indiscernible anyway. So I just use white noise generators usually of coasts, waterfalls or rain.

BlackKnightX

I know that this will be different for everyone so I wanted to attempt an experiment. If possible, I want each of you to only write while listening to one of the songs in the poll on repeat. Then try it with the other songs and see which one and see which song gave you the most productive writing session. I've been doing this for a week and "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin has been the most productive so far. If there is another song that is not on the list that made you more productive then please choose the other option and state what it was.

Edit: Everyone is just choosing other right off the bat without actually trying the experiment. Though I kind of expected this since getting anyone to do anything on this site other than shitpost is like herding rabid monkeys with a stick.
I already know my answer without listening to any of the songs listed above—I listen to nothing while writing. Absolute silence is the best for me.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Now that I think about it, I think it really is up to someone's taste in music. The hobbit soundtrack you suggested was absolutely annoying and I wouldn't be able to stay productive listening to it.
But check this out. Listened to this on a loop yesterday, and it worked really nice.

Katsuya

I mean, I don't have any particular songs, but sad songs or nightcore ones help me. Songs with too much beats and like idk, aren't the best for me but I still listen to them(Roselia songs are an example of too much beats). fast pace songs are also good.(fast tempo)

I listen to jp songs btw. so yeah.

N0xiety

me. I listen to one song nonstop sometimes for 10 hours plus. It kinda becomes the theme of whatever I am doing.
Any song is fine, but the key is you gotta like it in the first place.
For me personally, i would be able to listen to a song like this on repeat i suppose. So soothing
I listen to jp songs btw. so yeah.
Here are some similar jp songs, you most likely know some of em
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niVyVKo721g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9CKSSG96DU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ikntU53CKw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OI4Bp8fGYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvXDFv2nJcE

Last edited:

SuperHeiyan

you're listening to hoi soundtrack, aren't you?
Actually mostly Zeon theme from Gihren no Yabou V. Or music from Red Alert.
But by speaking about Hoi do you refer to Sabaton or other songs? Because Sabaton decreases productivety by making me just stop and listen.

Devils.Advocate

An objectionable existence

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Actually mostly Zeon theme from Gihren no Yabou V. Or music from Red Alert.
But by speaking about Hoi do you refer to Sabaton or other songs? Because Sabaton decreases productivety by making me just stop and listen.

no, I am referring to hearts of iron soundtrack by composer andreas waldetoft. Miss me with the sabaton cringe.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Vampire Weekend’s Father of the Bride album is something I’d recommend. It’s not something I’d sit down and just listen to, because it’s long and has no real theme, and some of the songs just aren’t all that great stand alone. However it has a variety of different sounds which I think are inspiring to listen to when trying be creative. Not mention it has probably two of my all time favorite songs on it.

ShrimpShady

I only voted for Under the Bridge because I literally listen to the instrumental track while writing. It's also a song that has a special place in my heart, as it is the first song I ever learned from the start to finish on the guitar.

But in general, when I write I like to listen to songs that sound like the vibe I'm trying to capture with my story. For example, I wrote a post-apocalyptic zombie thriller for a competition and I wanted to put a lot of emphasis on the decay and desolation of the world, so I listened to Dead Flag Blues by Godspeed! You Black Emperor to set the mood. And boy was it moody.

Don't let the 16 minute length intimidate you. It's an absolutely haunting, beautiful masterpiece of post-rock.

NobleTalon

I like to listen to ambient songs when writing or working, there are two youtube channels I love for that : Cyo Chamber and Prometheus Studio

I also like playing the OST of Metroid Prime Trilogy and Warhammer 40k Mechanicus when writing my novel, it fits well with the alien & grimdark ambiance

D

Deleted member 57675

Visions by Guilhem Desq - maybe for a particular scene, but not really
Under the Bridge by The Red Hot Chili Peppers - sound like an old music heard before
For Health and for Company by The Longest Johns - closest one music maybe might listen too

personally its shelter porter robinson and star sky two steps from hell + lot other ost songs.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I know that this will be different for everyone so I wanted to attempt an experiment. If possible, I want each of you to only write while listening to one of the songs in the poll on repeat. Then try it with the other songs and see which one and see which song gave you the most productive writing session. I've been doing this for a week and "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin has been the most productive so far. If there is another song that is not on the list that made you more productive then please choose the other option and state what it was.

Edit: Everyone is just choosing other right off the bat without actually trying the experiment. Though I kind of expected this since getting anyone to do anything on this site other than shitpost is like herding rabid monkeys with a stick.
Just listen to the unabomber manifesto unironically