Can I write a rape scene?

CainStillWalks

I know the content guidelines say I cant write anything that ENCOURAGES illegal sex acts or anything illegal in general, but if i put a disclaimer explicitly saying i do not condone this, please dont fucking do it you moron, will it be ok? asking because while the sex isnt truly important to the plot, the only way the character would have sex with the mc at this point in time is through rape and slavery.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Search for the rape tag and you can decide for yourself how seriously this sort of thing is taken here.

On the other hand, some novels do get removed and if it's not essential to the plot, do you want to risk it?

And personally, I don't think a disclaimer suffices to make it not encouraging if the content is.

Last edited:

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
I'm not sure why that'd be necessary, but I think I recall some stories on this site having that.

If you really want to write it, maybe yeah, put a disclaimer.

Keene

Squat Enjoyer and Programmer
the only way the character would have sex with the mc at this point in time is through rape and slavery.

Why is this the only way? You are the author. You decide the direction of your story.

Does this character *need* to engage in adult relations with the MC? Does it develop their character or the plot?

I can assure you, no-one is so creatively bankrupt that they write themselves into a hole where the only thing their story can use to climb out of it is a ladder made out of rape.

There are rare cases where something like rape is what the story needs but I promise 98% of the time the desired outcome by the author can be reached in a more realistic and satisfyingly way without resorting to rape if they use their brain a bit.

bigbear51

Something something, write whatever you want. If you're worried if you can do it, then you probably won't get banned for it. Don't know if you should. Depending on the audience, they might even hate the idea. But I'm not going to be the one to say for certain. It's not like I even know who they are.

Nyan_sempai

,✨ ILLUSTRATOR ✨
Well i am glad that you are concerned about your image at least, if you are planning or becoming bigger in future then image is definitely important whether you actually are concerned about the issue itself or not.

I think as long as you don't paint it as something good or at least make the mc feel guilty, if they get together in future, make him give a formal apology and a possible redemption arc.

Also why not just make the girl consent? Just make her say "okay ... " That itself makes the difference.

Thirdly i think you should put a warning that the chapter contains abuse and to read it on the reader's discretion, then it makes it feel less of your responsibility and more of reader's fault for ignoring them.

Also even if you say you don't condone it but paint the rape scene in good light with no consequences, or positive consequences, then it doesn't matter (to me) anyways. So what you actually should do if you are actually concerned is make the mc be guilty (or rather make him feel like shit), give a formal apology/ have a redemption (intensity depends on you) arc.

Oh and lastly, I dont think you will face any legal consequences or any warnings from the site itself, NU has a lot of those kinds of novels afterall. Owner is same... So. Idk I feel like you most probably won't.

Last edited:

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
I know the content guidelines say I cant write anything that ENCOURAGES illegal sex acts or anything illegal in general, but if i put a disclaimer explicitly saying i do not condone this, please dont fucking do it you moron, will it be ok? asking because while the sex isnt truly important to the plot, the only way the character would have sex with the mc at this point in time is through rape and slavery.
You have to ask yourself, is it is really necessary? If your MC HAS to screw this character, it doesn't necessarily have to be through rape. There are very few instances in which a writer really could use something so powerful as rape for the benefit of the story. For example, if the rapist is the MC, it serves to paint him/her as an absolute piece of shit. On the other hand, if the victim is the MC or someone the MC cares about, it serves to fuel him/her quest for revenge.

You should know that after the deed is done, there is no turning back. The victim is going to be traumatized for the rest of his/her life, most if not all victims of rape end up hating themselves for "being weak", feeling tainted, and forever scarred. IT IS A LIFE-CHANGING EVENT. Even people who avoided being raped end up traumatized in some way. Do your due research.

The rapist is going to end up pretty messed up as well, especially if the person didn't meant to rape his/her victim, for example, if he/she was convinced that the victim was consenting. On the other hand, if the rapist forcefully has his/her way with the victim then the person was already pretty messed up even before the deed. Most rapists don't feel guilt, in fact, they feel emboldened to continue raping. You have to realize that you just can't paint this kind of person in a good way, even if he/she committed the rape as an act of revenge.

If you plan that the rapist later shows remorse and tries to make it up to his/her victim, be wary that is going to take probably the rest of their lives. No sane person would stick around someone who had raped them. The mere sight of the rapist is going to keep traumatizing the victim. Most rapists that come to regret the deed end up taking their own lives to escape the guilt.

If it's absolutely necessary that you include a rape scene in your story, do your due research first.

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
@Bartun said pretty much everything I wanted to say about the topic. Granted, enjoying idea of non-consensual sex is more than common for readers across every demographic. As long as you don't glorify such behavior (though some would say that merely having a rape scene with the intent to tantalize glorifies it which, when paying even an iota of sympathy to people that cannot sleep at night because of their experiences, is more than a fair stance) and don't encourage commenters that even joke about committing such an atrocity to a real person, you can "get away with it." but know that people will judge you for it, and they won't necessarily be wrong.

Whether a work that contains rape will be deemed acceptable or not depends entirely on how you handle the topic and the audience's interpretation of your work. Make no mistake, you're glancing across some very murky water. I know some commission writers who wrote furry, coprophilia, and expansion stuff publicly without loosing clients, but got ghosted by friends and previous supporters for writing gratuitous rape (and you wouldn't want to be associated with the fans they gained because of it). The safest thing you could do is not do it at all, or turn the scene into a sort of kink-play thing where both characters are clearly into it (even this might turn some people off of you, though).

Choose your next steps with exceptional care.