Can positivity be toxic?

CL

It's a big problem in the pandemic. People keep asking me to smile more, but I wear mask. What's the point of smiling if no one can see it? What's the point of smiling if it doesn't change what you feel on the inside?
Have you ever been told to put on a "happy face" and you didn't because you honestly felt nothing? Then when you defied the order to appear as something you're not, you're slapped for showing disrespect? This disrespect being: not expressing appreciation over an unwanted gesture of goodwill. I've had that happen to me, more than plenty of times, as a child. It was a different time than it is now. Back then, action meant more than words ("You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk.").

These days... How about showing me something to be happy about and we can talk more on this smile you want to see, okay?

Can toxicity be positive?
If some poisons are used to get over hurdles (alcohol?), then I'm sure others would agree that toxicity can be made into a positive.

Razzle-Dazzle

People keep asking me to smile more
Ask? What a buncha light-weights!

Don't ASK people to smile, MAKE people smile!

What you need is someone that would set up the beginning of pun 3 days ahead of time, and subtly manipulate all conversations so to keep bringing in the start of the catchphrase, letting those words just hanging~ on the edge of everyone's consciousness... At the same time, people just keep going, "I-is he being weird again..." then one day just slam down with the punchline and no matter how shitty a joke it is, the payoff will still hit everyone like a fucking truck full of bricks! Loaded with enough absurdity that at least one person wouold feels like they got isekai-ed with all to superfluous bells and whistles!

Ask?! ASK?!?! How fucking lazy! Did they do it over the phone? Was it an automatic email? Or was it a text message? "plz :s_smile: moar"

happypanda

I-In these tough times... w-we gotta be positive...
18ps27.jpg

MorgueAnna

Being told to smile can be a form of microaggression regardless of intent. Small repeated things that seem harmless enough but chip away at your psychological wellbeing. It's something that many women face, but also a common struggle for autistic and other neurodivergent folks. I fall into both of the above camps and it definitely wears at me. Most of the time I have no idea what my face is doing. Wearing masks has been a great comfort and has helped taken a load off my mind. I'd been wanting to wear masks before COVID but people would give me dirty looks and I was too nervous to. Now I can and I revel in it.

like all the "fat acceptance movement" crap telling people that 'it's ok to be morbidly, unhealthily obese because it's your body and people who think you should lose weight are evil and discriminatory'. like... :blob_facepalm::blob_facepalm::blob_facepalm::blob_facepalm::blob_facepalm::blob_facepalm:

Honestly it all depends. I'm not one to tell someone what to do with their body because it's not any of my business. But a lot of people who are too fat too tall to skinny to short too black too redheaded too WHATEVER get constant microaggressions like mentioned above. Just "smile" "lose weight" "gain weight" etc etc etc. There are Olympic athletes and popular actors who, by all accounts of how the BMI works, would be considered "morbidly obese" but it's all muscle.

Another example: I'm fat, so hearing consistent negging microaggressions about my weight by strangers, family, etc. can wear on me. I don't mind my being fat though it's been something to get used to since it happened somewhat recently. Even at my thinnest, back when I was a model and didn't have enough money for food, people would talk about my weight. Now, in the last few years I became actually fat, unlike how I was when I was younger and curvy.
So if I say, something about being fat frankly, people always go "don't say that, you're not fat, you're beautiful." No, it's an objective fact that I gained 200lbs rapidly due to health issues. (Also this implies that fat and attractive are 100% always mutually exclusive. Which is...not objectively true, considering that what people find attractive is highly subjective.)
Where this gets dangerous is when I seek medical help and it gets in the way of treatment. Not only is this annoying but it's literally endangering me. I had a badly sprained ankle from falling at a train station once and when I sought out help, the doctor told me it'd never heal because of my weight. So I told him to get ready to amputate, since it'd clearly help me lose a few pounds and get rid of the source of my pain. He was rather offended by this suggestion for some reason. :P
Some people have commented that it must be upsetting to have become fat, but they always pin it on aesthetic reasons. Meanwhile I'm more preoccupied with the fact that I have an immune system that is wreaking havoc attacking my own body and I've had to have multiple surgeries and an organ removed. I've got bigger fish to fry than how I look or what size clothes I wear. When I focused on my weight and changed my diet and exercised myself to the point of doing permanent damage, I gained and gained. It was only by tackling the health issues that caused me to balloon up that I started to finally lose weight in the first place. But instead I got to deal with years of "have you tried ___ diet/exercise."

On a slightly different note, something similar has happened with becoming disabled. All the positivity in the world won't change the fact that I have permanent damage and that if I don't get medications I will die. No amount of doing yoga will change this, but random people as well as friends and family constantly recommend it as a cure-all. But if I point out my limitations, people rush to deny them. I point out that I need a wheelchair and people tell me to avoid putting it off as long as possible, as if getting a mobility aid is "giving up." Getting a wheelchair is the difference between me leaving the house at all or being stuck in bed for weeks at a time. The message I get much of the time is that if I can't be healthy I deserve to be a shut-in. It's a message sent loud and clear to most people with a variety of disabilities.

I get that acknowledging disability is taboo in the culture I live in but frankly being disabled is not a question of "if" but "when." Everyone is one car accident, one unexpected illness away from disability in my opinion. Being born, getting older, those are both risk factors as well. I'm weirdly grateful for due to COVID is that it's increased accessibility. I wouldn't have been able to get to doctors appointments this year without being able to do so through the phone/computer.

TL;DR, yes "positivity" can be toxic.

AmnerisTenjo

There is such thing as toxic positivity, yes.

It's like they expect you to be happy 24/7 which in itself isn't healthy. These people are the ones that need to accept people are allowed to be things other than happy and positive, and that not being happy/positive doesn't mean there's something wrong with the person

SternenklarenRitter

If someone tells you to smile, usually what they mean is "I don't care about what you feel and think. Your feelings are not real. Pretend to be happy! Conform to society!" I usually stick out my tongue or pout instead to those folks.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
It is often said that the saddest people laugh the most. At some point, this would happen and it would not be by the person's free will. So instead of giving a fake smile, try to find good in the bad. In this case, we should live by the words of the great philosopher, Homer.

Homer said, "It is not the worst day of your life. It is the worst day of your life so far."

What this means is, that no matter how bad today could be, the next days has the potential to be worse. And it could be even worse far in the future. So treasure what you have now or you will regret letting go of what miniscule joy you could've had in the past, if you had only not been too blind to see it.

Here is an example:
The world is suffering a pandemic, millions of people died. So what? Your parents are still alive, your children are still alive. If you can't be happy about anything else, be glad that at least your family is still there.

Last edited:

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
It's a big problem in the pandemic. People keep asking me to smile more, but I wear mask. What's the point of smiling if no one can see it? What's the point of smiling if it doesn't change what you feel on the inside?
Smiling allows your muscles to stretch.