Cringe stories?

SkippyForfex

One of the biggest problems I have while writing is looking through what I wrote and cringing out. I feel like the plot is too cliché and well basically I overthink.

'Oh, what will the readers think? It's too dumb to upload.' Yk yk all of them thoughts.

Any tips? Or you could just share what you do if you feel that way

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
Post it and see if other people cringe. If they do you can always edit your chapters to be more dignified, but if you never post it you'll never know.

Jet

I don't know. For me, it's a swing. Like I cringe on one day, find myself a genius on another. You'll never know! But I still advice to edit extensively before posting anything. Sure, you might ruin things. But it's still better to edit. You'll regret it otherwise.

TotallyHuman

I have felt it sometimes. It can actually be funny:
"omg, I wrote it in such a dork way, it's so stuuupid, I'm dying, hahahaha"
- how I felt. I mean it's just words on some server(s), that some people will maybe read and maybe even pay some attention to, but nobody is going to care about it some ten years down the line, you know? So just take it in stride and have fun.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
1681237150540.png

LilRora

Mostly formless
I would personally try to make whatever it is more realistic. If something is cringe and/or cliché, it is usually either oversimplified or exagerrated. Making something both cringe and believable is an art, and that's really hard to do.

I focus on realism (try to, at least), so I think how such situation would develop normally. I do it mostly by reducing the grandeur, basically making the situation or event casual and spontaneous, not like it was some staged show where everything had perfect timing and was full of emotion.

Or, TLDR, reduce the drama.

Remember though that it's just my own method that's not applicable to most stories. Comedies rely on the "coincidences", silliness, and cringe, because that's what comedies do. If you want to write something emotional, realism plays second role, because reality doesn't do catharsis.

The savior doesn't arrive at the last minute, but ten minutes too late or never. The former is most likely cringe and/or cliché, the latter is reality. Reality slaps you.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Cringing at what you wrote is a good thing since it shows you’re your own biggest critic.

it’s when people don’t cringe at what they do that they end up making extremely cringe decisions.

Sometimes, not understanding cringe can lead to losing massive sales leading to the CEO resigning. It happens.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Every story is cringe at first. That's why we have multiple drafts. Though sometimes embracing the cringe is good. My thigh story is a perfect example of my embracing the cringe.

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
I am a very shameless and self centered person, I fear no cringe and doesn't care what the readers think, much. I was a class clown after all, being cringe is part of my very existence.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
I feel like people's definition of cringe has gotten a little watered down. Try using loathing instead. If that doesn't seem to fit, then just get over it. You're doing fine.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Be so cringy irl that whatever comes out from your anonymous online persona becomes the least cringy part of you

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
There are so many shows, manga, novels that I find extremely cringey that are loved and have a huge fan base. I‘m sure you’ll find audience if you look in the right places.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Cringe has its place.

Make an Isekai Story about a guy who writes a really cringy story with a self-insert Isekai'd Gary Stu that uses the same name as the author.

THEN the author gets hit by Truck-Kun and he winds up isekai'd into the body of the villain so he has to deal with the Gary Stu version of himself as he lives out his life in his own cringy story. So the story is about a real person living in a cringy story and having to deal with his cringe-tastic self-insert.