Crossover fanfics vs Multiverse hopping fanfics

Crossover fanfics vs Multiverse hopping fanfics, which do you prefer?

• Total voters

OP1000

Hello!!!!
Do you guys have a preference for either reading crossover fanfics or reading multiverse hopping fanfics(I am not sure what the correct terminology for fanfics that involve characters travelling from one fictional world to another, so feel free to tell me what the correct terminology is)?

Note: For this poll, crossover fanfic=fanfics where characters from two different works are written in a way so that characters from both worlds are all born and grow up in the world where the story takes place. That means that crossover fanfics where the character(s) from one fictional work are transported/transmigrated into the world of another different fictional work should not be included if your decide to vote in this poll. Thank you.

P.S.:- This poll is for the users on this site that read fanfics. If you happen to have pressed on this thread and you do not enjoy reading fanfics, please do not troll those of us that do. Thank you.

DanielPotter

Crossovers. The best ones I've read and I'm currently reading are on Fanfiction.net. Right now I'm binge reading Harry Potter crossovers

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
Fanfic for me is a way a fan respect the world that the author created, the feeling of wanting to be in that universe and respecting the rules is what drives me when I write my fanfic. As long as the author respects the source material, I am fine.

So, multiverse jumping fanfic is what I really dislike, most of the time the story really feels shallow and relies on the reader knowing most of the original material. Of course, some could make it work, but often it turns out to be trash.

The same problem for crossover fanfic is as the above, not enough respect for one author. But it works better, but I just feel that it's a bit childish. Then again, it all depends on the writer.

RetGod

I don't like dimension hopping ones because most of the time they are pretty bad or so many characters appear that you start to not care about them anymore.

vzymmer

Still waiting for that perfect multiverse hopping fanfic tbh.

A multiverse with almost all(cuz let's be honest, some fics are just better off forgotten) fictional verses with fully fleshed out characters,
straight forward conceptual laws( no confusing time shenanigans), decent plots( there is no perfect plot),
reasonable immortal human MC that can be understood( not some psychotic killing machine that just chases levels)
and most importantly, POVs of the various characters that has interacted with the MC.

These are just some of the conditions for a decent multiverse hopping fanfic.(Immortality for MC not really required, just a suggestion)

Neninho

I personally think it's harder for a author to make a good crossover, especially with more than 2 fictional works. You need to worry about how different factions would interact with each other, in fantasy you need to worry about how different magic logics interact and manage possible relationships (of any type, not just love) between a lot more characters. All of these, of course, for both past present and future.
It's very easy for plot holes to appear.

Meanwhile in world hopping you need to worry about how one character affects things from now, the background is already provided. If it's the world hopping type where they keep switching and never go back to a previous world, then you don't even need to worry about the future.

If a author is willing to invest a lot of thought into world building I prefer the crossover, however if the author isn't willing or able to invest that time, then I think world hopping is better for both author and reader.

Complicated. The multiverse is better in relation to each world having its own laws, rules, powers, set of characters that relate, hate, and love each other. The problems here are two:

1. A story is all about conflict. If there are no conflicts, there is no story, and it becomes a slice of life that hopefully works with comedy. As the MC acquires more power, the tension decreases to the point that the author sometimes nerfs or turns the MC dumb for the plot to happen.

2. The second problem is the MC abandoning everything beyond power. Some even leave their harems in the previous world as if to say, "I'm going to buy milk in that dimension over there, and I'll be right back!" and they never come back. It seems like Xianxia :sweating_profusely:.

There are few multiverses that I really liked, being them Grandpa in Multiverse, Nascent Kaleidoscope (I recommend), Epic of Leviathan, and In This Corner of Multiverse (MC evil, brutal and intelligent, driven by crude and cold logic to the point of being a killing machine until mid-final of the story where he changes a lot and becomes more ... aware of harm to innocent people and tries to minimize them. What really kept me reading was the adventure. The MC isn't exactly "likeable" but is a good story
MC resurrect a lot o innocent people he killed in the end

The crossover is very much up to the author's discretion. The power system looks like it went to a marijuana plantation so crazy that it becomes sometimes, often changing or even merging with others and giving rise to something new and strange, like ki with reiatsu turning into chakra, or RWBY's aura turning into Hunter x Hunter's Nen and interacting in crazy ways, crossover in general is more complicated and usually worse in quality than multiverse fics because the complications in interactions between powers, characters, relationship, organizations, etc. Sadly, I have never found a good one that was not dropped.

Last edited:

J_Chemist

Fanfics.

image_2023-02-24_131333127.png

Theirl

SHHS detainee no. 0004
crossover is clearly better universe hoping is trash

FoxxieFox

Apprentice Wizard
Shall I introduce you to my favorite fanfic author on RR
AzureBlade
Their stuff contains the best of both worlds

Kenjona

Why do people not give the IDGAF option when making these polls? Sometimes we do not GAF over what background world you use, over how well the story is written. A well written story based on the life of a 2D string can best a badly written story based in your favorite world.

If anything is going to make me avoid a story; besides being badly written. It is more likely going to be something else than the background world you base it in.

Cipiteca396

[Contradiction]: Imperative
Why do people not give the IDGAF option when making these polls? Sometimes we do not GAF over what background world you use, over how well the story is written. A well written story based on the life of a 2D string can best a badly written story based in your favorite world.

If anything is going to make me avoid a story; besides being badly written. It is more likely going to be something else than the background world you base it in.
If someone doesn't give a fuck, why click on the thread? There's no obligation to give an answer. The goal is to get an answer to the question.

Last edited: