Curse of being a non native English speaker

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Is that you know a lot of words but not their meanings, only where to use them in context.

I don't know what sublime means but I know to use it whenever I say sophisticated.

I don't know what geriatric means except to use it while insulting politicians.

I know a vested interest is a good thing but I don't know why does wearing a vest give my interest this authority.
Sublime=excellent
Geriatric=fucking old
Vested=this shit is personal

Dost thou not have Google?

Reinaislost

Miss Direction
A similar problem I think we all face is that, even if we understand the meaning of the word, outside of seeing it used, it isn't easily accessible for our own usage. Even if I knew what ineluctable, concierge, or cognizant meant, most of the time, I'd only draw blanks when I'd try to recall them.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Bruh, I stay on top of that fresh English game while y'all old heads lag behind. I'm the hippest one in the crew, no cap!

Yo, if you wanna level up and learn these sick skills I got, just holla at me! I'll hook you up with the deets, fr fr.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Does "knowing the language" in this case account for dialect?

Cant lose what you never had, buddy. I've always believed in you.
Nah, I don't care about dialect-related stuff. I mean more reading comprehension skills.

TotallyHuman

Sublime is a pretty okay text editor from what I, this vim user, has heard
Bruh, I stay on top of that fresh English game while y'all old heads lag behind. I'm the hippest one in the crew, no cap!

Yo, if you wanna level up and learn these sick skills I got, just holla at me! I'll hook you up with the deets, fr fr.
fr fr bussin 💀

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
And then there is that damn limbo, where you know what something means, but for the love of eighteen layers of hells and heavens combine, you cannot recall what the word is in any of the languages, and you end up stumbling like a fool.

"I swear! I know what it is, I just can't remember!"

"Oh, what is it in X?"

"It's...It...It is xxx but different...I can't remember either..."

"Sure, buddy. Sure."

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

doravg

105/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
And then there is that damn limbo, where you know what something means, but for the love of eighteen layers of hells and heavens combine, you cannot recall what the word is in any of the languages, and you end up stumbling like a fool.

"I swear! I know what it is, I just can't remember!"

"Oh, what is it in X?"

"It's...It...It is xxx but different...I can't remember either..."

"Sure, buddy. Sure."
Yep, I feel you. Normally I can think of a picture but can't remember the word. There was this one time that I couldn't remember what colander was. I think I just wrote it wrongly. Anyway, I had to google that thing where you put pasta to dry. Not my proudest moment XD.

TroubleFait

same tbh
I use words, know the context to use, but when someone ask me what that word meant, I'm just gonna die on the spot
"Avada Kedavra!"
"You like to shout this, but what does it mean?"
"Uuuuh..." dies on the spot.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Is that you know a lot of words but not their meanings, only where to use them in context.

I don't know what sublime means but I know to use it whenever I say sophisticated.

I don't know what geriatric means except to use it while insulting politicians.

I know a vested interest is a good thing but I don't know why does wearing a vest give my interest this authority.
As a nerd, I refuse to not know the meanings of words I don't know the meaning of. So, yes. I either google the hell out of them or straight up search it on dictionary.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Bah, it gets even worse when you get your brain to a multi-lingual level... I can't count how many times I used a word of language A in language B without noticing because the meaning fit way better than any equivalent of language B...

I'd rather not know the word than unconsciously use the wrong language without noticing

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Bunnyno.jpg

Bah, it gets even worse when you get your brain to a multi-lingual level... I can't count how many times I used a word of language A in language B without noticing because the meaning fit way better than any equivalent of language B...

I'd rather not know the word than unconsciously use the wrong language without noticing.