Discuss: Eastern Asia culture

Agentt

Thighs
🤯 What do you mean by "nothing really interesting"? Just history of India not one bit poorer, that history of China. In all other (especially crucial for good story material) fields India exceeds China: religion, philosophy, mythology, all kinds of literature, self-cultivation systems, and so on, and so forth.
Well, I'm happy you are so energetic about it then, if India is so interesting, then I wish my country had a culture of telling it to children.

Last edited:

Lodur

Eight virgin
Well, I'm happy you are so energetic about it then, if India is so interesting, then I wish my country had a culture of telling it to children.
Maybe, I'm slightly over enthusiastic (as a converted Hinduist), still, many scholars, learned in the field, express a similar opinion. (Or, at least, that Indian culture is not less profound, then Chinese, without placing first and second places, because it's not a competition). But. If we talk about the direct influence of one culture on another, then, of course, the Indian influenced the Chinese much more strongly (through Buddhism) than in the opposite direction.
I can't really speak about school and preschool education for children, because I'm not an Indian, but it's rather question to your state and local governments. For example, we here have precisely one piece of early culture (XII CE, for India it's the start of modern period, while for us it's the ancient history 🤭), and it's part of obligatory course of national literature, be it state-issued or any private alternative course (they can't, really, implement private course without state permission).
Don't they at least teach you about the Mahābhārata and Rāmāyaṇa at school? About the Laws of Manu? About Arthaśāstra? About the astronomical treatises of Aryabhatta and Varahamihira? About the six schools of philosophy and their foundational texts and commentaries? About the six great poems (mahākāvya)? About didactic literature, such as Pañcatantra and Hitopadeśa (stories that actually spread throughout Eurasia from the British Isles to Japan, but were born in India)? I am silent about the Saṃhitās of the Vedas, the Upaniṣads, the Purāṇas, poetry, both religious and secular, in Sanskrit and vernacular languages, works on the theory of grammar, theater, music, poetry, medicine, etc., etc. It really is the botomless ocean.

Agentt

Thighs
Maybe, I'm slightly over enthusiastic (as a converted Hinduist),
Well, you are but I am happy for you atleast. It's nice to find something one finds so interesting.

It really is the botomless ocean.
It is a bottomless ocean sure, especially the mythology which is kinda the only aspect I like.

Just know that most people won't really share your enthusiasm.

PeacefulMyst

In your heart~
India!
I doubt that would ever help ya though, nothing really interesting happened here, compared to china and stuff.
Bruh I've never disagreed with you more smh
Maybe, I'm slightly over enthusiastic (as a converted Hinduist), still, many scholars, learned in the field, express a similar opinion. (Or, at least, that Indian culture is not less profound, then Chinese, without placing first and second places, because it's not a competition). But. If we talk about the direct influence of one culture on another, then, of course, the Indian influenced the Chinese much more strongly (through Buddhism) than in the opposite direction.
I can't really speak about school and preschool education for children, because I'm not an Indian, but it's rather question to your state and local governments. For example, we here have precisely one piece of early culture (XII CE, for India it's the start of modern period, while for us it's the ancient history 🤭), and it's part of obligatory course of national literature, be it state-issued or any private alternative course (they can't, really, implement private course without state permission).
Don't they at least teach you about the Mahābhārata and Rāmāyaṇa at school? About the Laws of Manu? About Arthaśāstra? About the astronomical treatises of Aryabhatta and Varahamihira? About the six schools of philosophy and their foundational texts and commentaries? About the six great poems (mahākāvya)? About didactic literature, such as Pañcatantra and Hitopadeśa (stories that actually spread throughout Eurasia from the British Isles to Japan, but were born in India)? I am silent about the Saṃhitās of the Vedas, the Upaniṣads, the Purāṇas, poetry, both religious and secular, in Sanskrit and vernacular languages, works on the theory of grammar, theater, music, poetry, medicine, etc., etc. It really is the botomless ocean.
Unfortunately they don't. The problem is, our culture us seen as inferior around here by quite a decent chunk of the population. Most of the history books barely mention any local stuff and are mostly about invaders. Thankfully that has started to change. Which one is your fav? Personally, (and Ik this is kind of typical lol) mine’s Mahabharat.
Arthaśāstra
The whole mauryan empire thing is so interesting. Too bad most don't know shit about it apart from ashoka. The very person who laid the foundation of the empires destruction and sealed its fate
Yeah, unexplored is a big factor there, there really isn't much interest regarding that. Atleast Eastern Europe had their witch hunting thing going for them.
As for intresting stuff, Jungle Book and Kim, both by Rudyard Kipling are fine enough books based in India

Damn. Just damn.

Most people don't know shit about the history of around here smh including most indians

I love the Mahabharat not only because of the mythos. Weather you are religious or not, there's quite a decent chunk of evidence that this battle did indeed happen. It is the proof of our history

Last edited:

Agentt

Thighs
Damn. Just damn.

Most people don't know shit about the history of around here smh including most indians

I love the Mahabharat not only because of the mythos. Weather you are religious or not, there's quite a decent chunk of evidence that this battle did indeed happen. It is the proof of our history
I do know if it, it's just not very "fun" when something is forced upon you. Do you think you would still like Mahabharat if it was a school subject?
That's why I don't think even if schools begin to teach this stuff any more love towards the subjects would be born.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
I do know if it, it's just not very "fun" when something is forced upon you. Do you think you would still like Mahabharat if it was a school subject?
That's why I don't think even if schools begin to teach this stuff any more love towards the subjects would be born.
Eh, to be fair, schooling tends to kill the funs from most things. Y'all know, reading, math, sciences, history...sport even. I myself lost interest in reading, sciences, math, and history for most of my childhood and well into college, and honestly, re-discovering, and being able to learn at my own pace, of my own volition is amazing. Honestly, I used to think that my own country's history was rather boring, and not worth learning much, and I tended to focus my interest on the more Western part of the world, y'all know, the civilized world, and all that fun jazz. Now, tho, I found that my own country and region of the world are full of interesting histories, tidbits of unexplored 'materials for world buildings', and such.

Speaking of India, where else in the world could you find a 'subjugated nation' colonized by a world superpower, yet still be able to export so much of its own culture through its dominator? One of the national dishes of the UK is India inspired, their metallurgy used to be prized, with swords forged in India an object of status among the officers of the GB army during much of the 1800s. Even more so, the Indian subcontinent has also influenced much of the SEA region through the spread of trading: spices, religion, culture, and much more. India, in most Eastern stories, is viewed as a mystical, spiritual land, true or not, shrouded in mystery behind a range of mountains that touches the sky. There is much more fascination with India than I think you realized.

Last edited:

Agentt

Thighs
Speaking of India, where else in the world could you find a 'subjugated nation' colonized by a world superpower, yet still be able to export so much of its own culture through its dominator? One of the national dishes of the UK is India inspired, their metallurgy used to be prized, with swords forged in India an object of status among the officers of the GB army during much of the 1800s? Even more so, the Indian subcontinent has also influenced much of the SEA region through the spread of trading: spices, religion, culture, and much more. India, in most Eastern stories, is viewed as a mystical, spiritual land, true or not, shrouded in mystery behind a range of mountains that touches the sky. There is much more fascination with India than I think you realized.
Yes it's unique but every country is unique. Every country has a great history with a fun mythos. Also a lot of fascination for my country is now lost for me because of how I haven't found a job in past two years.

Last edited:

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
As the title says, let's discuss East Asian culture. We are all aware, at least, ancient China helped forged countries like Korea and Japan to what they are now. From their culture and alphabets, to food and art. If you turn a page in their history, ancient China pretty much influenced spearheaded Eastern culture. But this begs the question, why ancient China seemed to have lost their influence especially on post Heian period Japan.

Any thoughts here that you want to share?
China is just a naturally reclusive nation because outside of like Mongolia, Korea, Ryukyu, and Vietnam, Chinese states never really held much external influence because of their bad geography