Do you guys found authors who use simple words and sentence boring in their stories?

Lorelliad

creating magic in a magic-less world 🪄
learning more vocabulary is not a bad thing either.

use word "it" instead, his car really fast, it was red, and the windshield is broken/cracked.
Ignore my terrible spelling. I was a bit out of it then lmao

LynaForge

I use simple words and sentences when writing, since I just recently found my passion for writing, I decided to not just be a reader but an author as well, however, ever since I released my story I somehow found it... Lacking, I'm not a native English speaker and not used in deep English words, I also have hard times expressing the right expression of characters, so what do you think guys?
Simpler might make things easier for non-native English speakers to enjoy the story.

D

Deleted member 57675

I use simple words and sentences when writing, since I just recently found my passion for writing, I decided to not just be a reader but an author as well, however, ever since I released my story I somehow found it... Lacking, I'm not a native English speaker and not used in deep English words, I also have hard times expressing the right expression of characters, so what do you think guys?
Its alright. Everyone starts somewhere. Even native english writers don't always write well in english...

Simple words and sentences are fine. It depends how its used though - context and some variety is important.

Last edited by a moderator:

LMStephens

One Complexed and Unusual Being
Honestly, it's not the words that a writer chooses to use, it's how they place and arrange them. For instance, I read a story that was written back to back with elaborate big words like the writer went crazy with the thesaurus. This made the story very hard to read and I had to stop. It bogged down the flow of the story.

I have read that this is a thing that inexperienced writers do and that it will make a person's writing look amateurish. I'm not trying to be insulting, I just want to share the information that I have read.

kingsky123

i know a couple writers that have beautiful prose, but their stories suffer as you can have passages basically describing an elegant dinner but the plot does not move.

Personally having beautiful writing and descriptions are a powerful tool to have but just try not to forget in the end you want to tell a story and not describe a painting

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Simple wording and writing are good because there is consistency. Using synonyms with fluid grammar is better because there is variation. Having both consistency and variation would be the best, but it takes practice, hard work, and some creativity.

I hope my words proved to be helpful despite me being just an amateur writer. To have that flair, but not lose the logic and essence of storytelling is something I strive for... I try my darndest to make the story flow.

Yup, that's the word I guess. You just have to mind the flow, and everything else will follow as you accumulate experience in writing...

Good luck!
Meanest Mob

Last edited:
As much as possible, I try to link word choice to my characters and their backgrounds — not just in dialogue, but also in description. My own vocabulary tends towards fancy / posh, so I always try to cut out 'university' words for characters that wouldn't think or talk like that.

Agentt

Thighs
Noo, not at all, it depends on your character. If he is a common person, so will be his vocabulary.

And also, there is no such thing as simple words, all words are equal, they habe exactly 1 meaning. Till you don't describe every situation as "good" or "bad", everything is fine

Topgun1908

If you make me have to constantly look up words I'm going to drop the book. That's why I prefer simple words because they can still get the same message across as complex words. It's just that the complex words make you seem smarter to anyone smart enough to already know what they mean.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Currently I’m writing a story with a lot of technical phrases that are important to the text, words that I don’t think some readers would understand. So I’ve been using foot notes with * to explain them better. Things like msl, altimeter, horizontal stabilizer. Things that are important to my story, but the reader may not know about before reading.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I end up preferring authors with dry, simple prose. Half the time, authors who write fancy structures and phrases, especially web authors, meander for ages to flex their vocabulary and take forever to get to the point. This isn't a jab at slower paced stories, by the way. I'm talking about authors who learned of a few complicated words and try to reconstruct an entire sentence just so that word could make sense in context.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I end up preferring authors with dry, simple prose. Half the time, authors who write fancy structures and phrases, especially web authors, meander for ages to flex their vocabulary and take forever to get to the point. This isn't a jab at slower paced stories, by the way. I'm talking about authors who learned of a few complicated words and try to reconstruct an entire sentence just so that word could make sense in context.
That's a serious illness most people can never get rid of if caught once. I have a friend that studies LTL in university and he gets thought that academic acclaim (which seems to be all they care about) is measured by how ihconprehensible the prose of that work is. They just ignore everything else... Dude even unironically used "the disparity between our opinions needs further discourse" just to tell me "agree to disagree"...
He can be happy I'm a professional translator, otherwise I'd hace hit him with a frying pan