Do you listen to your readers?

bigbear51

Kitty, they probably meant some authors. If you been here long enough, sometimes you'll hear complains like why hasn't anyone liked my story or how some reader comments completely turn them off from writing. Some comments from readers are constructive but it can be hard to sort out the really rude ones and the ones that mean but don't say in the nicest way and mixed in with the feeling of how proud one feels bout ones work only for the flaws to be pointed out to them. Some wish for more but some don't improve.

Authors don't have to take in everything every reader comments. Thu if they're asking for feedback or wondering their story hasn't progressed with more positive views after people already suggested them stuff, then eh. That's really up to them and how they wish to improve.
In essence, yes. I just find quite funny about people complaining about 1-stars often on the forum. So apparently if they just drop a 1-star without comment then they're a troll. Yet somehow those who have negative comments should just not read or are considered toxic? It's also quite funny that I've been accused of only wanting lame positive comments, such as "Thanks for the chapter" and things of that nature. There's some very hypocritical natures of some authors, but no one really ever seems to care about that.

Jemini

I learned the hard way that I shouldn't always listen to my readers. Listening to my readers is the reason I had a character stick around a lot longer than she should, and having her stick around was the reason why the story died. This character sucked the life right out of the story.

Now, if it's about the readers leaving generally positive or specifically negative comments, I will listen to those. I will listen to generally negative comments as well, but they're not going to mean much to me without specifics to give them some direction.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
I have owls?

Ah that emoji...
Ikr? I love it

In all honesty though, I'm surprised to see people here have negative comments that sound forceful like the last bit of the OP. Most of what I get are pretty easy-going - then again, I don't really write or read very serious works.

I think readers of more serious stuff probably comment more, but from a reader's perspective...... if I said something made me sad or that I was angry that a character I liked died, it doesn't mean I want the story to change; I just wanted to share what my feelings were at that point. And as a reader, I'd never say things like "give up" because that's just.... nasty imho. It's fine to just say, "this is boring" without the "give up" part, because it's simply an indicator that it's dull.

I don't know much about author personalities, but I know my personality as a reader is important to me.

Also, I like it when people are expectant or excited that I have come by to read. :blob_melt: "Ah, that reader has come again, is she going to draw me a picture for this chapter" hehehehe :blob_aww:

D

Deleted member 45782

Ikr? I love it
Yeah. It's the horny owl. Only comes up around in the wee hrs of the night with it's big eyes and its hooting.
In all honesty though, I'm surprised to see people here have negative comments that sound forceful like the last bit of the OP. Most of what I get are pretty easy-going - then again, I don't really write or read very serious works.

I think readers of more serious stuff probably comment more, but from a reader's perspective...... if I said something made me sad or that I was angry that a character I liked died, it doesn't mean I want the story to change; I just wanted to share what my feelings were at that point. And as a reader, I'd never say things like "give up" because that's just.... nasty imho. It's fine to just say, "this is boring" without the "give up" part, because it's simply an indicator that it's dull.

I don't know much about author personalities, but I know my personality as a reader is important to me.

Also, I like it when people are expectant or excited that I have come by to read. :blob_melt: "Ah, that reader has come again, is she going to draw me a picture for this chapter" hehehehe :blob_aww:
True. I do know from Wattpad it sorta expect to drop inline comments here and there bc more you comment on popular stories the more others will check you out. Sometimes we just out stuff we think at that time like responding to the story as if we are in that same situation with the character and what they're going through.

If it's a I hate you now author bc you just killed the character I really ship myself with I'm gonna read it as a lighthearted joke depending on how they say it. That or a crazy fan. Regardless what they're fanning sometimes fans just go crazy overboard even at the very thing/someone they're deep fans of

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Yeah. It's the horny owl. Only comes up around in the wee hrs of the night with it's big eyes and its hooting.
I personally see the v in that emoji as a smile though! To me it's like "surprised smile"! "Oh my!?"

If it's a I hate you now author bc you just killed the character I really ship myself with I'm gonna read it as a lighthearted joke depending on how they say it. That or a crazy fan. Regardless what they're fanning sometimes fans just go crazy overboard even at the very thing/someone they're deep fans of
Hahaha yeah those are usually jokes. I haven't really met fans who're crazy about OEL stories, tbh. I've been reading comments off another site that OEL stories have a stigma of being mostly poorly-written stuff that hasn't been curated by other readers via recommendation. People seem to be looking for stuff which are curated and vetted, so I'm not sure how many crazy fans there are out there for OEL novels on sites like SH.

D

Deleted member 45782

I personally see the v in that emoji as a smile though! To me it's like "surprised smile"! "Oh my!?"

Hahaha yeah those are usually jokes. I haven't really met fans who're crazy about OEL stories, tbh. I've been reading comments off another site that OEL stories have a stigma of being mostly poorly-written stuff that hasn't been curated by other readers via recommendation. People seem to be looking for stuff which are curated and vetted, so I'm not sure how many crazy fans there are out there for OEL novels on sites like SH.
What is oel stories?

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
What is oel stories?
Original English Language

For translated works, a number of us use TL.

OG (original) works are also used to describe stories like those on Wattpad and SH. I think people tend to use the term OEL to differentiate Asian-inspired stories from works written originally in Chinese/Japanese/Korean, and OG works to blanket the whole thing, including stories which are western fantasy

Think "OEL manga" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_English-language_manga

D

Deleted member 45782

Original English Language

For translated works, a number of us use TL.

OG (original) works are also used to describe stories like those on Wattpad and SH. I think people tend to use the term OEL to differentiate Asian-inspired stories from works written originally in Chinese/Japanese/Korean, and OG works to blanket the whole thing, including stories which are western fantasy

Think "OEL manga" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_English-language_manga
Ah I see. Thanks for the tidbit.

the only readers who talk to me regularly live inside my head

i listen to them though

though it's different when it comes to following their wishes. in the end, i will just stick to what i wanna do.

Teanam

It really depends on the reader and what they say. Here on SH, I've gotten many good tips and some really fun ideas I try to implement in one way or another. Although, I have so many chapters done already that it might doesn't seem so at the moment.

I've gotten a really interesting comment elsewhere that basically started with "I don't want to tell an author how to write, I hate doing that." and proceeds to write a comment longer than the chapter. Rambling about how much is wrong about my story and how badly I've written myself into a corner I can never get out again. (Funnily enough, I already have like 100 chapters past that finished). Or kept reading between the lines to guess some weird stuff while ignoring the actual text, which explains why or how it's wrong. They also reviewed my story and talked about how this glaringly obvious plot hook that I'm trying to hide from my readers is so stupid. Plot twist: I have no idea what plot hook they mean...
Especially because I'm only writing a mostly light-hearted rom-com, don't get so invested in that and just enjoy the ride.

Ah, it turns out I just wanted to ramble...

Anyway, if it's constructive critique, tips, or fun ideas, I try to listen. If it's some wannabe professional, nah. If anything, it makes me want to make an extra chapter, collect everything they complained about and turn it to 11 just for them. (I have better things to do, though, so that won't happen.)

Last edited:

EternalSunset0

If it's something related to the actual writing itself, I often do. English isn't my first language, and my background is on formal/academic writing, so I would need all the tips I can get in writing snappy dialogue, being concise with descriptions, etc.

On the plot side of things, it's more of a mixed bag. When I start publishing chapters of a volume, it basically means that the volume is done and there won't be any revisions on the plot from what I've penned down for that volume. However, I consider feedback when choosing the characters to give focus on or increase screentime/development the next volumes. The plot has a volume-by-volume roadmap done now, but the in-betweens can easily be modified or altered a bit.

SerikoLee

Chaos Realm Creator/ Chaos God
When i tried making a series , many reader took up their pitch forks.
After talking with the other authors , i have improved so no one compliant about my format.
I say listen to your readers, accept constructive criticism and thank them for reading but I never write the way they want me to. It's your story, be selfish with it.
Agreed but a few or most will drop it , if they don't like something in the story.
One example is format or killing off characters , they grew to love.
I say listen to your readers, accept constructive criticism and thank them for reading but I never write the way they want me to. It's your story, be selfish with it.
Agreed but a few or most will drop it , if they don't like something in the story.
One example is format or killing off characters , they grew to love.

Last edited:

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Although it is temping, you must not give in to your readers and stay the course on your original vision. Only the writer can write the story. Also like 95% of people don't know what they are talking about.

Agentt

Thighs
the only readers who talk to me regularly live inside my head

i listen to them though

though it's different when it comes to following their wishes. in the end, i will just stick to what i wanna do.
Were they the one who told you to name yourself GayLolis?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
It's just as it is on the title. Do you listen to your readers? So, for example. The reader comments "I hate you for killing *my fave character*" or "The story is too boring, give it up"

Any thoughts on this?
I do listen to reader comments... But I won't listen to these comments you listed on the OP.

"I hate you for killing 'my fave character'"... Why should I care? I killed the character for a reason.
"The story is boring, give it up" Nah, you leave instead. I'll keep writing.

Those comments aren't constructive and they don't help me in the slightest. They're just rants.

If someone tries to give actual criticism and say that a given plot point wasn't well-executed, or a scene that was supposed to be impactful ended up coming out kinda bland, or if the reasons behind the actions of some characters don't seem very realistic, I'll take those in consideration and whether or not I agree with them... If I do agree, I'll probably use it as a lesson for future stories... Otherwise, I'll just leave it be.
Of course I do. If anything, I'm the one asking all them to suggest things all the time. but of course I'm on scribblehub so some readers might be too scared off to make mention of their own volition.

Seriously though, with the attitudes of many authors, I'm surprised that readers still give them the time of day.
Edit: Case in point, this thread.
I think you're misunderstanding the position the people commented on this thread are coming from?

Like, I think most authors appreciate constructive criticism... But... Well, it has to be constructive.

The examples listed out on the OP aren't constructive, they're just rants, so... When talking about one's reactions to this kind of comment, most would say that they ignore them entirely because they're useless.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Yeah, I'm going to have a hard time believing that from this crowd judging from the responses, yours included.
I have no idea what I have said to come out as having an attitude, but whenever I get comments on my story, they are never bad. They never ask me to change anything either so, I can't comprehend readers that do that.
I do as a fellow said; I do listen to ideas and incorporate them into the story sometimes, but that is usually just my friend.

He is the first one to ever read my stories and helps me edit. As for other people, well, I have had no one say, 'Oh do this or that.' They are always like the way the story is handled and stuff, but I just started in SH, not too long ago, maybe that will change one day. Or maybe not.

I write my novels before I ever post them, so the ones I post are finished works. They aren't ongoing. So there isn't any change in anything to be done with them, only grammar and maybe structural stuff. But like I said, that is just me.

Maybe in ongoing stuff, you can actually listen and move the plot, but that in itself is a different story. I would call it an interactable story where the reader is directing, and the plot moves according to their wishes.

That sounds amazing, but for me, it isn't the way I write. As I said, I have an idea and I want to follow it through. Readers can say what they want, and maybe for a later story, I will implement the idea if it fits the cracks.:blob_happy:

Kitty, they probably meant some authors. If you been here long enough, sometimes you'll hear complains like why hasn't anyone liked my story or how some reader comments completely turn them off from writing. Some comments from readers are constructive but it can be hard to sort out the really rude ones and the ones that mean but don't say in the nicest way and mixed in with the feeling of how proud one feels bout ones work only for the flaws to be pointed out to them. Some wish for more but some don't improve.

Authors don't have to take in everything every reader comments. Thu if they're asking for feedback or wondering their story hasn't progressed with more positive views after people already suggested them stuff, then eh. That's really up to them and how they wish to improve.
This, I don't understand. Why complain about a story that isn't liked? Maybe it was just not what the readers wanted and such. I think it would be hard to see the toxicity, but isn't the internet full of it? We are bound to get some. *I still haven't, thankfully.*

My brain can't process how people can't take constructive criticism. When I ask for it. I try to fix the issues brought to my attention, though I can't say I fix them all, because I am a nooblet.

But, why ask for feedback from your readers and then ignore it? Like... That shouldn't be a thing. I get to ignore the toxic ones, but at least listen and think 'Oh, maybe I can change that for my next story.' If it is a plot issue or something. Like black holes... For grammar, I always listen.:blob_happy:

D

Deleted member 45782

This, I don't understand. Why complain about a story that isn't liked? Maybe it was just not what the readers wanted and such. I think it would be hard to see the toxicity, but isn't the internet full of it? We are bound to get some. *I still haven't, thankfully.*

My brain can't process how people can't take constructive criticism. When I ask for it. I try to fix the issues brought to my attention, though I can't say I fix them all, because I am a nooblet.

But, why ask for feedback from your readers and then ignore it? Like... That shouldn't be a thing. I get to ignore the toxic ones, but at least listen and think 'Oh, maybe I can change that for my next story.' If it is a plot issue or something. Like black holes... For grammar, I always listen.:blob_happy:
Um not quite. Maybe I worded it wrong. Its just sometimes people will talk bout how they get poor reviews/ratings etc. and stuff a lot.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Um not quite. Maybe I worded it wrong. Its just sometimes people will talk bout how they get poor reviews/ratings etc. and stuff a lot.
I see. I still don't understand why they would complain about it. People come in all shapes and colors and that includes bad reviews or stars or even crap talk.

Well... That is just me, though.:blob_aww: