Do you use scene breaks?

• Thread starter Deleted member 42060
  • Start date

TheHelpfulFawn

A small animal that helps you with your groceries
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Justo donec enim diam vulputate ut pharetra. Nascetur ridiculus mus mauris vitae ultricies. Tempor commodo ullamcorper a lacus vestibulum sed. Eleifend mi in nulla posuere sollicitudin. Egestas tellus rutrum tellus pellentesque eu. Amet facilisis magna etiam tempor orci eu lobortis. Donec ac odio tempor orci. Est pellentesque elit ullamcorper dignissim cras tincidunt lobortis feugiat. Vulputate dignissim suspendisse in est ante. Euismod lacinia at quis risus sed vulputate odio ut. Vel pharetra vel turpis nunc. Vulputate ut pharetra sit amet aliquam id diam maecenas.

Aliquam purus sit amet luctus venenatis lectus magna. Suspendisse faucibus interdum posuere lorem ipsum dolor. Nulla facilisi nullam vehicula ipsum a arcu cursus vitae congue. Lorem sed risus ultricies tristique nulla aliquet enim. Egestas diam in arcu cursus euismod quis viverra nibh. Lacus sed turpis tincidunt id aliquet risus. Nulla facilisi cras fermentum odio eu feugiat pretium nibh. Eleifend donec pretium vulputate sapien nec sagittis. Commodo elit at imperdiet dui accumsan sit amet nulla. Ante in nibh mauris cursus mattis. Ut sem viverra aliquet eget. Tortor pretium viverra suspendisse potenti nullam ac tortor vitae. Id diam vel quam elementum. Cras tincidunt lobortis feugiat vivamus at. Et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas sed tempus. Velit egestas dui id ornare arcu odio ut sem. Aliquam sem fringilla ut morbi.

See that asterisk over there? A scene break is a transition between scenes, and it does not have to be an asterisk: it can be a hashtag, three or four periods, or any symbol. Do you use scene breaks in your story?​
I used to. Not anymore. I think it is necessary to use Scene Breaks if your chapters are longer and have more than 1 or 2 scenes in them.

JohnDoe9838

I use them in sets of three. For example,

It works out fairly well.
Same.

Come to think of it, I've been using these scene breaks a bit without thinking about it, simply out of "common sense". Not that it works very well. My common sense I mean.

If I analyze it, the scene breaks I use them when I don't want to break the... "idea" of the scene and I need to move the location to another one that has been visited before, where telling the transition doesn't make sense so it doesn't distract from the drama/action.
Also even if the other location is not known beforehand, if the character must travel along a route, path or whatever and there is no dialogue with another or internal monologue and I want to mark a passage of time, I would use this device. It would also help to give a sense that the place is distant and build a feeling of isolation, if I go that way.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Same.

Come to think of it, I've been using these scene breaks a bit without thinking about it, simply out of "common sense". Not that it works very well. My common sense I mean.

If I analyze it, the scene breaks I use them when I don't want to break the... "idea" of the scene and I need to move the location to another one that has been visited before, where telling the transition doesn't make sense so it doesn't distract from the drama/action.
Also even if the other location is not known beforehand, if the character must travel along a route, path or whatever and there is no dialogue with another or internal monologue and I want to mark a passage of time, I would use this device. It would also help to give a sense that the place is distant and build a feeling of isolation, if I go that way.
Agreed. I don't think I would want to narrate complete silence till they get somewhere else when I could just focus on another party or skip ahead a bit.

YS_og

Yes, and I use

▽▽▽

between bodies of text to symbolize time skipping forward however much it skips