Does anyone else use a depressing song to get themselves to write a sad part

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
I have a very specific one that immediately helps me to write sad parts

It's from the 999 video game for nintendo DS. This song sounds at the end of the game, where you have to help a girl in another timeline to solve a sudoku puzzle like in 2 minutes or she will die incinerated, On one screen was the sudoku game, on the other the girl was crying asking for your help. That stuck in my head forever

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Yes, I did and even shared it with my readers.

tiaf

Did you pick a song as a soundtrack for a chapter(s)? Or was it something different?
I was listening to this album:
The sad ending just wrote itself with it. It even got more dramatic than intended thanks to the album.

tiaf

No-no, I was talking about the 'sharing' part.
Ah, I just dumped the video at the beginning of the chapter. I post that particular story on Wattpad too, there it gets embed nicely unlike here on SH. So I don't think a lot of readers here did listen to it.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
If I ever want to get into an emotional state to write a character during a sad moment I always listen to this song. It opens my third eye of emotion and sympathy for some reason.

TotallyHuman

I am in a low mood by default, but listening to sad songs does help me give shape and structure to these feelings.

D

Deleted member 45782

I don't always go out of my way to listen to a sad song, but yes. Whatever song currently listening too, even if they have their own lyrics and story, my mind thinks of new lyrics. And if the song is even twinge of sad, like OST dramas or just melancholic, my mind deviates to sad story scene. Sometimes if it's dark then bit dark. If need go back to a song to remember how felt when writing scene, then yeah would.

Which is also why its hard concentrate with music on. Most time either whisk away sad story or epic fantasy story if it even remotely sounds sad or epic or dark or maybe rock too.

Only happy upbeat songs, harder to imagine a story and can be used to help focus, at least for me.