Writing Prompt Elemental bending/magic

Venusaur26

One thing common in many fantasy novels is that magic uses elements
Then I have thought; why not the periodic table elements, and even the four states of matter, solid, liquid, gas and plasma?

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
Are you serious, or not? :blob_pat_sad:
I don't know. I found the premise pretty interesting when I first watched it, but nowadays I'm incapable of watching anime in the first place because the animations just bother me, and the voice acting too. Doesn't matter what I watch. But anyways, Qwaser of Stigmata is definitely no masterpiece, but I did actually enjoy it. If I were to rewatch it now, I probs wouldn't be able to stand it, just like with any other anime I've watched.

SailusGebel

I don't know. I found the premise pretty interesting when I first watched it, but nowadays I'm incapable of watching anime in the first place because the animations just bother me, and the voice acting too. Doesn't matter what I watch. But anyways, Qwaser of Stigmata is definitely no masterpiece, but I did actually enjoy it. If I were to rewatch it now, I probs wouldn't be able to stand it, just like with any other anime I've watched.
Same.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Imagine having the powers of boron. Although I think it could be cool especially with some radioactive elements, or ones with other unique more specialized jobs you don’t think about much. Like being a thief who steals valuable diamonds and replaces them with copies crafted with zirconium magic.

Last edited:

Arkus86

I have read one or two manga/LNs where (elemental) magic is tied to periodic table elements, but the natives of the world don't know about those elements, so it remains just fire magic, earth magic etc., used at lower efficiency due to their poor understanding of the magic.

D

Deleted member 54065

I got a story where music is magic.

Like creation magic would be classical music.

Maintaining magic would be progressive rock and other contemporary music.

Destruction magic would be death metal.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Earth, fire, water, wind. These are Usually the main elements. Earth is minerals of sorts, water would be sub to liquid magic, wind would be sub to gases magic, fire dunno

JohnDoe9838

One interesting thing is that there are quite a few more states of matter than solid, liquid, gas and plasma (although not at normal conditions of temperature and pressure). You might consider the following states:
Supercritical fluid
Degenerate matter
Electron-degenerate matter
Neutron-degenerate matter
Strange matter
Quantum spin Hall state
Bose-Einstein condensate
Fermionic condensate
Superconductivity
Superfluid
Supersolid
Quantum spin liquid
String-net liquid
Time crystals
Rydberg polaron
Black superionic ice
Quark-gluon plasma
Theoretical state where the weak nuclear force, strong nuclear force, electromagnetic and gravitational force were combined due to the high energy density of the early universe (at the age of 10^-35 seconds after the Big Bang).

This is more physics than anything else. Playing with states of matter, fundamental forces and exotic objects in the universe (neutron stars, pulsars, black holes, etc.) is fun, but you would have very OP characters .I mean, if that's what you want, all well and good (plus it would be fun to try to find limitations or create a set of rules that would allow you to explain the powers system of the universe if you're into that sort of thing).
Also introducing literary interpretations of quantum mechanics gives you a million possibilities, although I think this would be going a bit off your proposal.