Enforce a blindfold

nightshade.valentine

Hello Everyone,

I am new here. to be honest a bit shy and lacking confidence (English could be part of the problem). Or maybe because it has been ages since I wrote in any forum. Add to this writing at all, but I decided to resume writing to my Light Novel because it is something I really enjoy.

So I am continuing with a Light Novel right now. my main Character has a superpower that he is trying to run away from and avoid using for a long time. This strategy was successful until he got captured and in fear of his power chained and tortured. a Colonel finds out that if this character is blindfolded he is indeed harmless and does not need to be chained. Instead, he decides to teach him how to self-defence and attack to improve his stamina and boost his coordination skills. in hope to get advantage of his power later, But since he cannot trust him he enforces a blindfold on him.

My main blocker here is that no matter how I think of it. it doesn't seem to work. How can you enforce that someone does not remove a blindfold?

p.s I think writing prompts is the right place, otherwise, I posted in the wrong place

Thanks for the help ...

Last edited:

CrusadeAgainstFurries

Supreme meme-lord
Just burn his eyes or something. Latter someone with healing superpowers can heal his eyes.

1608752228178.jpg

Jessie_Emilyn

I guess a simple way is something that prevents then able to be able to remove it. Problematic but something tight with many straps could work but could increase discomfort. Thats the main physical way to go about it, however mentally is another method, entrap them to wear it. Threatening them with punishments or harm to their loved ones could also work. Also could trick them to think that the blindfold is on to help them, the idea of getting use to being without sight to grow their skills and such or limit themselves but this one is pretty weak if a lack of trust.

I guess a combination of all these could help cage them in the view, maybe make someone else in training have them on to enforce that yeah this is actually a thing we do. Basically mentally and physically manipulating them to make the blindfolded person think it is for their own good and then you can work on building up trust or at least fake trust to exploit the one with super powers.

Just my ideas, feel free to use any you want and good luck.

nightshade.valentine

I guess a simple way is something that prevents then able to be able to remove it. Problematic but something tight with many straps could work but could increase discomfort. Thats the main physical way to go about it, however mentally is another method, entrap them to wear it. Threatening them with punishments or harm to their loved ones could also work. Also could trick them to think that the blindfold is on to help them, the idea of getting use to being without sight to grow their skills and such or limit themselves but this one is pretty weak if a lack of trust.

I guess a combination of all these could help cage them in the view, maybe make someone else in training have them on to enforce that yeah this is actually a thing we do. Basically mentally and physically manipulating them to make the blindfolded person think it is for their own good and then you can work on building up trust or at least fake trust to exploit the one with super powers.

Just my ideas, feel free to use any you want and good luck.
I love the mental approach better, to be honest. and It does connect very well to the emotional aspect of my character. Thanks alot

Jessie_Emilyn

I love the mental approach better, to be honest. and It does connect very well to the emotional aspect of my character. Thanks alot
Yeah I think mental approach is generally stronger since it is a tool of manipulation and such instead of force. I feel they would still want one that doesn't come off easily but not too uncomfortable to encourage it to be left on.

nightshade.valentine

Yeah I think mental approach is generally stronger since it is a tool of manipulation and such instead of force. I feel they would still want one that doesn't come off easily but not too uncomfortable to encourage it to be left on.
Amazing, its funny how I was blocked for days and with your comment I feel like "wow...I never thought of it that way" .

Thanks billions

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
I'd guess it depends on what kind of person the main character is, and his circumstances. Like if he was intensely against being trained, they'd have to use some kind of binds. If he's more like, moderately against it, then maybe make him wear it for such an extensive period that he starts to become averse to sunlight because it hurt him, and is more willing to keep it on. Based on what you said about the MC hiding his power, it seemed like he wouldn't be entirely against the idea of being trained? He may not like the idea of being used as a weapon at first, but maybe he can be convinced if the Colonel negotiates? Offer him a position or something and he only has to work for a certain period of time till he's all set to live a normal life.

These circumstances remind me of a idea buried somewhere in my head, where one of the main characters (major side character for the first arc, main for the second) has to wear a blindfold. He's not human, and his species has this quirk where, if their sense of sight is removed or blocked, their thinking shuts off and they only react on instinct. They attack solely based on killing intent, and are incredibly sensitive to that and that only. As long as his handlers don't think of harming him, they'll be just fine, and that's how he's survivable. Since he's not mentally able to remove the blindfold, he's stuck like that till someone takes it off.

I went off topic for a while sorry, but maybe something like that? Is there a way where you can make him unable to remove it in a way other than physically? Are there other superpowers in this world? Do they have some way to give him some sort of extreme emotional attachment to it? Hypnosis? I dunno.

nightshade.valentine

I'd guess it depends on what kind of person the main character is, and his circumstances. Like if he was intensely against being trained, they'd have to use some kind of binds. If he's more like, moderately against it, then maybe make him wear it for such an extensive period that he starts to become averse to sunlight because it hurt him, and is more willing to keep it on. Based on what you said about the MC hiding his power, it seemed like he wouldn't be entirely against the idea of being trained? He may not like the idea of being used as a weapon at first, but maybe he can be convinced if the Colonel negotiates? Offer him a position or something and he only has to work for a certain period of time till he's all set to live a normal life.

These circumstances remind me of a idea buried somewhere in my head, where one of the main characters (major side character for the first arc, main for the second) has to wear a blindfold. He's not human, and his species has this quirk where, if their sense of sight is removed or blocked, their thinking shuts off and they only react on instinct. They attack solely based on killing intent, and are incredibly sensitive to that and that only. As long as his handlers don't think of harming him, they'll be just fine, and that's how he's survivable. Since he's not mentally able to remove the blindfold, he's stuck like that till someone takes it off.

I went off topic for a while sorry, but maybe something like that? Is there a way where you can make him unable to remove it in a way other than physically? Are there other superpowers in this world? Do they have some way to give him some sort of extreme emotional attachment to it? Hypnosis? I dunno.
The idea of being adverse to day light has came to my mind to be honest.

The character in that case has no other option than either to die or to be trained. He could be intensely against it but he chooses to be trained even though the trust factor is zero between the two parties. His father has done something similar years ago and then betrayed the whole Corporation.

He does have someone that he deeply cares for, and that is why @Jessie_Emilyn idea matched my flow.

Last edited:

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
The idea of being adverse to day light has came to my mind to be honest.

The character in that case has no other option than either to die or to be trained. He could be intensely against it but he chooses to be trained even though the trust factor is zero between the two parties. His father has done something similar year ago and then betrayed the whole Corporation.

He does have someone that he deeply cares for, and that is why @Jessie_Emilyn idea matched my flow.
I mean, how much did his father's betrayal hurt the corporation? If it resulted in more losses than it did benefits, then (if I was the Colonel) I'd just cut my losses and kill the kid.
Do you plan on making the Colonel a semi-likable character when it comes to the protagonist? Or is he just an enemy to overcome? If the protagonist should eventually trust and listen to him, then threatening someone close might make that hard. If he's just an enemy, then it seems like a good idea.

Is there a superpower that can secure it on him? I feel like I'm drifting back into the physical category again, but watching him overcome lack of sight while training would be interesting. He might also be stronger once he finally gets his sight back. Or maybe he would be weaker with his sight back, and it can be another hurdle he has to overcome.

Overall, threatening seems like the best bet, yeah.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
You need to be really careful to make it not too tight or too loose. I tried wearing a sleeping mask back when Husband had his desk in our bedroom, but if it's too loose, it falls off when I toss and turn and if it's too tight, it results in sharp pain the next day. Also, if your desk is in your wife's bedroom, don't stay up all night playing video games, or she's going to get pissy.

nightshade.valentine

I mean, how much did his father's betrayal hurt the corporation? If it resulted in more losses than it did benefits, then (if I was the Colonel) I'd just cut my losses and kill the kid.
Do you plan on making the Colonel a semi-likable character when it comes to the protagonist? Or is he just an enemy to overcome? If the protagonist should eventually trust and listen to him, then threatening someone close might make that hard. If he's just an enemy, then it seems like a good idea.

Is there a superpower that can secure it on him? I feel like I'm drifting back into the physical category again, but watching him overcome lack of sight while training would be interesting. He might also be stronger once he finally gets his sight back. Or maybe he would be weaker with his sight back, and it can be another hurdle he has to overcome.

Overall, threatening seems like the best bet, yeah.
This indeed a real problem in the plot.

Yes his father was a real mess for the cooperation. Another Colonel was on the side of torturing him and getting rid of him as soon as he could. But this one favored training him under his own responsibility.

In my mind, the protagonist will eventually bond to this person. however, I do not have plans to make him semi-likable. I am struggling with this.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
This indeed a real problem in the plot.

Yes his father was a real mess for the cooperation. Another Colonel was on the side of torturing him and getting rid of him as soon as he could. But this one favored training him under his own responsibility.

In my mind, the protagonist will eventually bond to this person. however, I do not have plans to make him semi-likable. I am struggling with this.

I'd say physical "torture"/binding would be a little easier to overcome as long as the damage isn't permanent. Threatening someone close to him, while not directly harmful, might leave a more lasting wound of distrust, because he'd never know if they'd do it again. Physical damage would leave less distrust once the main character is confident he can't be physically damaged.

On the other hand, if you intend to leave the Colonel a disliked, but trusted, character there could be a way to make the damage he causes the MC more deserving. Maybe the colonel lost something in the incident where his father betrayed the corporation? Like the colonel lost someone important to him during the incident or something and is rather scared of him, thus making the precautions more reasonable? If he's inflicting physical pain to bind the mc then the Colonel experienced some kinda major injury during the incident and vice versa. Once revealed, the protagonist would realize that the Colonel had a reason to treat him so horribly and trusting him might be easier.

That might be a major change to the plot if you've already got it done and planned out, so maybe not. I'd say if you're that concerned about it, just go with whatever seems easier to write. Maybe you're good at/enjoy writing about physical pain? Or perhaps you know a good way to keep the threat of his loved one being hurt a damoclean threat?
Just have some fun with it, I'd say. :blob_reach:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Zooming pass the thread with words like "blindfold" and "training" really makes me understand why 50 shades of gray is popular. Worse is that I imagined the protag is a young Scott Summer while the Colonel being Thunderbolt Ross and his epic face hair.

Jokes aside, putting hypnotic suggestions to effectively blind him?

nightshade.valentine

Zooming pass the thread with words like "blindfold" and "training" really makes me understand why 50 shades of gray is popular.

Jokes aside, putting hypnotic suggestions to effectively blind him?
Ewww no plan to go into this direction (fifty shades of gray )

effectively blinding him is an option but not favorable to be honest

nightshade.valentine

I'd say physical "torture"/binding would be a little easier to overcome as long as the damage isn't permanent. Threatening someone close to him, while not directly harmful, might leave a more lasting wound of distrust, because he'd never know if they'd do it again. Physical damage would leave less distrust once the main character is confident he can't be physically damaged.

On the other hand, if you intend to leave the Colonel a disliked, but trusted, character there could be a way to make the damage he causes the MC more deserving. Maybe the colonel lost something in the incident where his father betrayed the corporation? Like the colonel lost someone important to him during the incident or something and is rather scared of him, thus making the precautions more reasonable? If he's inflicting physical pain to bind the mc then the Colonel experienced some kinda major injury during the incident and vice versa. Once revealed, the protagonist would realize that the Colonel had a reason to treat him so horribly and trusting him might be easier.

That might be a major change to the plot if you've already got it done and planned out, so maybe not. I'd say if you're that concerned about it, just go with whatever seems easier to write. Maybe you're good at/enjoy writing about physical pain? Or perhaps you know a good way to keep the threat of his loved one being hurt a damoclean threat?
Just have some fun with it, I'd say. :blob_reach:

i do not enjoy writing about physical pain ... Yes there could be some scenes but it is not the direction I would drive my novel into

I love how you have analyzed the Colonel character though.

I will reflect for some time and then just write. When going into the flow I will find the answer .

Last edited:

Jessie_Emilyn

Just because it starts on bad terms etc doesn't mean it has to keep following those lines. It can be pretty character and trust building to release the controls a bit. Threaten their family but as trust starts to build a little they sit them down and say they won't harm their family, they are just felt it was the only option. I mean I don't really know the characters, the motivations and such and honestly I am not really trying to I am just giving ideas of methods. Heck just having the colonel going really out of character to save the person with power at risk to themself can be a real defining moment that maybe things have improved and there is trust and some caringness.

Honestly all of these ideas are just start points and ultimately it is you who decides and fleshes it out and which path to take.