First Chapter Analysis

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
If you have the time would you mind checking mine out?

Alright, first up, the common problems I've pointed out before for others, lots of telling and guide narrator stuff over filter. So, to help you improve your prose, I recommend these two videos first, so you understand the logic behind things and can see what I might be seeing.

So, for some specific things, first, the transition from the dreamer to the girl could be much more fluid. It's very abrupt and jerked me sense wise. I'm also not really all that into Anna because she doesn't really have much a strong character so far, on account of the amnesiac stuff. Beyond that though, she seems really detached and unemotional. Given that this is the first chapter, it doesn't make for that strong of a character hook. She really doesn't do it for me when it comes to Believe, Care, and Invest stuff. For more on that, see this one:

Finally, when it comes to the fragmented memories (if I understand what's going on right), I think it might help if there is something distinct that helps show that it's fragmented or when, since it's a bit disorienting. I mean, unless you're aiming for us to experience the same disorientation, though I'll note that's a risky gamble so early into the story given how disjointed it can make the story.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Do you find starting a story a daunting task? I do. Luckily, I always have my mountains of research on the writing craft to fall back on. It's helped me out a great deal over the years in building my confidence and I'd love to share a bit of it with those who are interested. I can't guarantee perfection, but I'm fairly confident I can help you start the story on the right foot.

What I'll do is read the first chapter present only and figure out what's either working and/or not working for me. I'll address it in the thread and try to have a back & forth convo with you to see what I can best suggest. I'll also try to connect you with the writing craft which might help you best to hear.

I do reserve the right to pass on a story if it's so extreme against my tastes, but I'll do my best to focus on what your work is doing and what you're trying to do. Also, I'll just tell you if your story passes or fails in my eyes as an opening chapter.

Also, to note, I don't care about "perfection" or the like. Perfection is impossible because it doesn't exist. I simply wish to help refine people's skills as writers so they can better entertain their intended audience. And I refine stuff by using craft techniques which help me get things done and help me help others. This is what I'm offering.

If your outlook is just "I just want to write from my heart and do this", please do not ask for feedback. I'm not against writing for fun. Do it! Write for fun! Enjoy the act of creation! I'm pro-writing as a hobby. It's just that that outlook has nothing to do with the reader's experience. I'm not offering positive affirmation. This is for those who wish to learn where immediate issues might lie for the readers and hear suggestions for how to address those issues. I'm approaching this as a reader first and, when stuff fails, I'm turning on my editor's eye to figure out why. Finally, I'll suggest edits. If you don't wish to change anything, please don't ask. Or, at the very least, don't tell me because I don't care. It's your story and I ultimately want you to do whatever you want with it, not whatever would most please me. It's just tiresome to read again and again after putting in the effort to give a genuine reaction & feedback because it feels like the person didn't want to hear what was said to them.
I was hoping whether you could actually check out a couple chapters that are later in my story, rather than the first?:blob_hide: They would be the chapters Interlude: Elisa-A Devil of Gluttony and Chapter 26: The Interrogation. I just feel something is majorly off (and I can tell the readers don't enjoy Chapter 26 on top of that because the views are half of what I normally get a minimum):blob_shock:. I could really use some thorough advice on them.:blob_sweat: The first fails to communicate the alien logic of being centered around greed/gluttony, communicating a spectrum of autism to the reader in the thinking style and her actions, as well as making Elisa likeable (this is the first time I am introducing this character's first-person POV):blob_dizzy:. Chapter 26 is dialogue heavy, and I don't think I did it successfully nor did I communicate the necessary points...:blob_teary:
I understand if that is outside of what you are aiming to do on this thread though! Wouldn't mind you checking out the first chapter instead, if you are up to it! It's awesome that you are putting so much effort into helping writers on this site!:blob_aww:

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
I was hoping whether you could actually check out a couple chapters that are later in my story, rather than the first?:blob_hide: They would be the chapters Interlude: Elisa-A Devil of Gluttony and Chapter 26: The Interrogation. I just feel something is majorly off (and I can tell the readers don't enjoy Chapter 26 on top of that because the views are half of what I normally get a minimum):blob_shock:. I could really use some thorough advice on them.:blob_sweat: The first fails to communicate the alien logic of being centered around greed/gluttony, communicating a spectrum of autism to the reader in the thinking style and her actions, as well as making Elisa likeable (this is the first time I am introducing this character's first-person POV):blob_dizzy:. Chapter 26 is dialogue heavy, and I don't think I did it successfully nor did I communicate the necessary points...:blob_teary:
I understand if that is outside of what you are aiming to do on this thread though! Wouldn't mind you checking out the first chapter instead, if you are up to it! It's awesome that you are putting so much effort into helping writers on this site!:blob_aww:

While outside my norm, sure, I can give it a try!

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
While outside my norm, sure, I can give it a try!
Awesome!!! Thank you SO much! *praying gestures* You're a freakin' awesome person and I admire you so much! Sorry if this sounds overly flattering... I mean this genuinely!

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Awesome!!! Thank you SO much! *praying gestures* You're a freakin' awesome person and I admire you so much! Sorry if this sounds overly flattering... I mean this genuinely!
Flatter away, I'm not one to complain! :cool:

Seriously though, I do appreciate it!

And I should be able to do this (and the others) this week since I'm taking care of this week's script sooner than I have been lately. I have been reading everything and just gathering my thoughts.

Last edited:

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Oh, me, me! I don't know if you wanna give prologues a chance, but my first draft has one, unlike the second one. Please let me know which is better in your opinion.
I'd choose the first one of the two, though I didn't enjoy either. Though, I'll add that I overall hate LitRPG and that second reminded me why. That said, I do think you should keep to the humorous tone you're going for. I think that's a good touch even if it doesn't appeal to me specifically.f

Please take a look at my first chapter.

I'm assuming the first chapter is chapter 0 since that is the physical first chapter I see and, if I were reading it, it's the one I'd decide whether or not to read everything else based on. I was turned off by the first sentence because it is so absurdly long. Let's just look at this sentence real quick.

The well-endowed nobles of the kingdom of Ochalis will be the first to tell you, my dear reader, that there wasn't anything special or well-known about the Damaran family, and there certainly wasn't anything exceptionally well-known about Aelis Damaran who came out to society barely two weeks ago among a modest gathering of people, who cared more about the wining and dining than paying their respects to the young lady.

Opening with a run-on sentence doesn't win me over. Then the fact we have a guide narrator (which is what newbie writers lean toward on instinct) makes me hesitant to continue. Anyway, to fix this sentence...

The well-endowed nobles of the kingdom of Ochalis will be the first to tell you that there wasn't anything special or well-known about the Damaran family, and there certainly wasn't anything exceptionally well-known about Aelis Damaran.

If you want to add in the next part, well, that's a matter of flow. Here, this can help with that:

You have yet another one that is way too long after that, which... it's trying to stuff so much in it immediately. You need to pace things out with shorter paragraphs. If you want to set the scene, that's fine. Here, I think you might benefit from this:

To note, prose issues aside, I am a bit curious when it comes to this one why she's engaged to this guy and all. So while I wouldn't because I feel a lot of this feels too raw for me, conceptually it intrigues me a bit.

I'm an artist that wants to get better at writing to make better stories! Please, whenever you have the time, take a look at my story.

I hate present tense for reasons I stated elsewhere in this thread, but Chapter 0 is intriguing otherwise. ...I should just make a video on my hatred of present tense. Good use of prologue, not too long, nice hook, etc. I was intrigued despite my hatred of present, so I broke my rule and read a bit more. I wanted to give you a bit more since I liked what you were doing.

So, when it comes to character work, you're shining there. I like the personality we get with things in motion. ...And I notice the tenses jump back and forth between past tense and present. For example...

Lio nods, not knowing what to say and feeling completely out of her element.

This is in the present tense.

She turned the ignition off from her car and took the drink out from the cupholder.

This is in the past tense.

Anyway, I like the character work, I'm cool with your dialogue, your prose could use refinement though. For instance, the use of onomatopeia would be much better if you worked it into a sentence as a verb instead of isolated by itself. Regardless, I see potential here for you! I normally try to give a specific video that might help that I've made, but in your case, I recommend giving the various ones I've created on prose a watch. I seriously think it might help some things click with you and result in quick growth. I feel the one on flow might help out quite a bit in particular, though I've faith all of it could lead to some serious growth based on what you're doing. I just get a raw talent vibe from you.

Here you go.
PS: I am definitely not an alt account of another vampire here...

This mentally screwed with me for a good 10 minutes. :ROFLMAO: The PS, not the story. I loved the story opening so far and it gets my full thumbs up! The opening line had me hooked and I found myself flowing through it quite well. The use of 1st person feels intentional and like it's making the best of it as opposed to something defaulted to, it felt immersive to me, the pacing was well done, the imagery is well handled, and just... it's a nice, smooth read. Well done! If I ever make a list of my favorite first chapters, this will definitely go on it. It does all the things I often speak about and encourage people to do.
could you please provide me some feedback for my 1st chapter of my novel T_T. I revised it so many times I hope its okay now. https://www.scribblehub.com/read/622748-transmigrated-as-a-villans-older-brother/chapter/623841/

sory if its too long. T_T. I just have fun creating this story
...SHIT, I MISSED THIS! I'll get on it on Thursday. Probably.

EnoraTwilight

My brain have wrinkles
This mentally screwed with me for a good 10 minutes. :ROFLMAO: The PS, not the story. I loved the story opening so far and it gets my full thumbs up! The opening line had me hooked and I found myself flowing through it quite well. The use of 1st person feels intentional and like it's making the best of it as opposed to something defaulted to, it felt immersive to me, the pacing was well done, the imagery is well handled, and just... it's a nice, smooth read. Well done! If I ever make a list of my favorite first chapters, this will definitely go on it. It does all the things I often speak about and encourage people to do.
I am glad you have found my first chapter enjoyable. I hope if you continue to read the rest of the story, I hope it is equally enjoyable.

PBJ_Time

I'd choose the first one of the two, though I didn't enjoy either. Though, I'll add that I overall hate LitRPG and that second reminded me why. That said, I do think you should keep to the humorous tone you're going for. I think that's a good touch even if it doesn't appeal to me specifically.f
Thank you! However, I do have some questions unrelated to the litRPG aspect of my story. What do you think about my MC? Does he appeal to both RR and SH? Should I tone down some of his traits?

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Thank you! However, I do have some questions unrelated to the litRPG aspect of my story. What do you think about my MC? Does he appeal to both RR and SH? Should I tone down some of his traits?
For the MC, it's difficult for me to form much an opinion because of my hatred of LitRPG. When it comes to garnering interest, concept/genre is the first thing that pulls someone in. If that doesn't work for a person, it's hard for them to form an emotional engagement to things like the character. It's why I made a point of mentioning my hatred of LitRPG.

Regardless, the MC seems typical for these types of stories. Pretty cut and paste. So he might appeal? I really can't tell you what will take off with the fanbase for this specific type because I'm not apart of it.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
could you please provide me some feedback for my 1st chapter of my novel T_T. I revised it so many times I hope its okay now. https://www.scribblehub.com/read/622748-transmigrated-as-a-villans-older-brother/chapter/623841/

sory if its too long. T_T. I just have fun creating this story
For me, this reads like a teenager having fun with their earliest work. Why?

1) The onomatopoeia is childish.

The English language allows a refined application: turn the sounds into a verb (the door banged shut) or a noun (the door shut with a bang).

Using this sophisticated variation creates subtle yet vivid effects. Any sound can be turned into a verb or noun, so let your creativity flow. When you want a fast-paced, exciting effect, choose the verb: to boom, to bang, to boing, to whoosh, to zap, to clank, to shoosh.

In addition, many English words are actually imitations of sounds, but have become so common that you may not think of them as onomatopoeia: the tap drips, the chain rattles, the horse's hooves clip-clop, the cat meows, the horse whinnies.

You can use onomatopoeia words in all kinds of vivid prose, but the biggest use is in writing for children. Young readers and listeners, whose vocabulary is still limited, can grasp onomatopoeic words. When you write about the clip-clopping hooves and the meowing cat, they can hear and visualise the scene.

When writing for other audiences, use blatant onomatopoeia sparingly, and apply refined versions mostly to descriptions you want to make vivid.

2) There are inconsistent tenses.

The general walks out of the room without looking back. His face changed to that of a stern individual.

"Walks" is present tense, while "changed" is past tense. A consistent tense would be...

The general walked out of the room without looking back. His face changed to that of a stern individual.

Another example...
Seated in his sleek high-tech office, Dr. Hector leaned forward in front of his transparent desk with a heavy heart, he fixates his gaze on the lifelike image of the clone.

A better way would be...
Seated in his sleek high-tech office, Dr. Hector leaned forward in front of his transparent desk with a heavy heart. He fixated his gaze on the lifelike image of the clone.

With this in mind, let's look at this and have you correct one for yourself.

A flashback occurred in B-1x's mind as he reminisces in his thoughts of the past recalling his very first encounter with the doctor.

3) There are a lot of grammar and punctuation issues

I don't feel like going through pointing out them all, but it is one of the things that made this super difficult to read. But here are some examples...

His voice caught in his throat, leaving him speechless as he gazed at the papers in his hands, then looked beyond the cold glass panel to where B-1x stood.

Run-on.

B-1x spoke in a low, mellow voice, saying "I'm doing fine," but his expression remained unchanged.

Quoted speech should always have a comma before it.

It's not that easy. He is the most capable in the field of genetic manipulation and cloning. Having 12 PhDs is not a feat anyone can have. He is a tricky individual as well.

Awkward sentence. "Earning 12 PhDs is not a feat anyone can easily achieve" is a better way to word it, for example, while having an eye for clarity.

"Don't make choices that you'll regret, Doctor Hector. We all have our roles to play, some of us even serving the devils," he sneered, his words laced with ominous implications.

Badly structured dialogue and poorly placed comma. Better:

"Don't make choices that you'll regret, Doctor Hector," he said, his words laced with ominous implications. "We all have our roles to play. Some of us are even serving the devils."

Also, there's just... a lot of things wrong with that, which... I'll come back to my solutions.

The general walks out of the room without looking back. his face changed to that of a stern induvial."

Coming back to this again, his face should've been capitalized.

4) Overly long sentences
Seated in his sleek high-tech office, Dr. Hector leaned forward in front of his transparent desk with a heavy heart, he fixates his gaze on the lifelike image of the clone, a perfect replica of his deceased son, a warm yet chilling reminder of the past that evokes strong emotions within him.

Not one to dwell in the past, he returned his attention to the data in his hands, a flood of genetic information, all pointing to one conclusion, B-1x was indeed a perfect clone, an identical copy of his son in every possible way.

In a moment of honesty, B-1x, the clone of Hector’s son, still struggling with the concept of his existence, torn between the reality of his creation and the longing to be more than just a scientific marvel, longed for a genuine connection, to understand and to be understood, to be loved and to love in return, to experience the full spectrum of human emotions, not just the ones programmed into his synthetic brain.

Just three examples, though I can find more with ease.

Also, tons of characters are just introduced without clear descriptions, and so on, and there are repetitive phrases. I just don't feel like finding everything since it was so exhausting going through as much as I have.

I find the story itself difficult to read, so that's why I would pass on this. Having said that, I actually give you a thumbs up so far on some of the concepts you're playing with. I can see potential in this whole Sci-Fi story vibe you have going and I think the story itself can have legitimate merit. It's just the rawness of it is clear. So, to help you grow quickly, let me recommend to you the same stuff I have for others...

I've other things I'm working on that can keep helping, if you do want to keep an eye on this, but yeah, that's my read so far, without me going through cleaning up every single thing.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
For me, this reads like a teenager having fun with their earliest work. Why?

1) The onomatopoeia is childish.

2) There are inconsistent tenses.

"Walks" is present tense, while "changed" is past tense. A consistent tense would be...

Another example...

A better way would be...

With this in mind, let's look at this and have you correct one for yourself.

3) There are a lot of grammar and punctuation issues

I don't feel like going through pointing out them all, but it is one of the things that made this super difficult to read. But here are some examples...

Run-on.

Quoted speech should always have a comma before it.

Awkward sentence. "Earning 12 PhDs is not a feat anyone can easily achieve" is a better way to word it, for example, while having an eye for clarity.

Badly structured dialogue and poorly placed comma. Better:

Also, there's just... a lot of things wrong with that, which... I'll come back to my solutions.

Coming back to this again, his face should've been capitalized.

4) Overly long sentences

Just three examples, though I can find more with ease.

Also, tons of characters are just introduced without clear descriptions, and so on, and there are repetitive phrases. I just don't feel like finding everything since it was so exhausting going through as much as I have.

I find the story itself difficult to read, so that's why I would pass on this. Having said that, I actually give you a thumbs up so far on some of the concepts you're playing with. I can see potential in this whole Sci-Fi story vibe you have going and I think the story itself can have legitimate merit. It's just the rawness of it is clear. So, to help you grow quickly, let me recommend to you the same stuff I have for others...

I've other things I'm working on that can keep helping, if you do want to keep an eye on this, but yeah, that's my read so far, without me going through cleaning up every single thing.
thanks bro. ill check it. english is not my first language but I'm trying my best. ill try to learn through these videos and work on the problems. I'm just battling this long debate on whether i should drop my current novel or not. I just can't make a decision. This novel didn't have an outline and structure when I first started. its been some time and I've learned a lot from before. It feels wrong to drop it after 39 chapters. ill try to edit what i can and improve the work but the thought remains I should just drop it and start a fresh series maybe. anyway thanks

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
thanks bro. ill check it. english is not my first language but I'm trying my best. ill try to learn through these videos and work on the problems. I'm just battling this long debate on whether i should drop my current novel or not. I just can't make a decision. This novel didn't have an outline and structure when I first started. its been some time and I've learned a lot from before. It feels wrong to drop it after 39 chapters. ill try to edit what i can and improve the work but the thought remains I should just drop it and start a fresh series maybe. anyway thanks
Tell me if it does help. I've been curious if it will help those who don't have it as a first language since I've been simplifying it to the core things I often want to go over but can't.

As for whether or not to drop it, why not do what you can to wrap the story up and then do something new? That way, you can at least have a clear sense of completion, can take the time to do something else, and come back to it later with fresh eyes. If it's something you're passionate about, I don't think you should trash it, though I do believe it can help to take breaks from time to time and try something new.

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
Since my story is a WIP (therefore it's not on SH), I can only post a PDF. Hope it's still eligible for a review!

Attachments

• 1 - The Hunter.pdf
    349.8 KB · Views: 89

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Since my story is a WIP (therefore it's not on SH), I can only post a PDF. Hope it's still eligible for a review!
Sure! Just give me a few days.

I'm a liar. I took a look at The Hunter and it grabbed me immediately. So, first up, it gets my thumbs up. The first line hooked me and you handled the opening line with dialogue well. I've seen so many do it poorly, but you did it right, having someone else start with the dialogue and then following it up with the POV character's reaction to it. I don't know if you did it intentionally or not, but props to your proper technique.

You immerse, something I often push for, and the character work is so good! I like the stuff with the adoption at immediate thing, the way you work in the vampiric heritage, and progression to the hunter stuff. The ideas with things like Blue Screens and all feel organic enough and... well, above all else, the character work, proper writing, and so on won me over. The decision to kill her mentor is interesting, and... pretty much you just did a great job. I'm less focused state right now, just gushing since I had a good time reading this. It's something I'd enjoy seeing more of!

Last edited: