First Chapter Analysis

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
Heyho :blob_cookie:
Me, on an endless quest of looking for feedback, would like to request an analysis of my first chapter of a relatively not so-new-anymore story. It does have a few readers, which makes me happy, but they mostly read quietly and go about their day. So I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong, I'm also still getting used to not writing in my native tongue.

I don't even know if you can take much away from just the first chapter, as it is a short chapter to introduce the protagonist and show "how she ceased to exist in her old world" - as it's Transmigration.

Jaymi

Gamer / Astronaut / Idol / Author / Vampire
I'd love some first-chapter feedback when you eventually have the time!

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Eh, I've got time. And I'm always looking for some constructive critique.
My Enigmatic Life - Volume One, Chapter One: Late Night Talk | Scribble Hub
Not really into it. I found it bland. The emotions are surface-level, there's a lot of telling instead of showing, it lacks in descriptive detail to create sensory details or an atmosphere, and the vocabulary is eh. The lead didn't really grab me with anything to make me immerse into them and the fight scene seemed pretty lame, especially when it used onomatopeia in such a lazy way.

Thanks in advance!
Drop the exposition dump in the first paragraph. It's boring and I recommend starting out with characters in motion and learning the information like that through their interactions. Also, for some proper structuring of dialogue, it should be...

"No good," the town healer said while shaking his head. "He's contracted the Bloom."

Or...

"No good." The town healer shook his head. "He's contracted the Bloom."

The way it could start with dialogue and reaction to things actually can make for a much more interesting opening.

The rest isn't all that bad. While I wasn't too excited, that's more just because I'm in an eh mood and emotionally numb at the moment. Still, I think you're doing a decent job.
After my first sprawling 270 chapter and counting ramble, I’m trying to take my second story a little more seriously. I’d be honored if you gave it a look. If not, oh well.

At Least I’m a Pirate Now

I liked the opening at first, up until it started inorganically adding in D&D-telling stuff instead of immersing it into the actual narrative. If you want to have it just pop up, I'd come up with some way to better represent it. For instance...

The littlest amazon’s hair shifted back and forth between black and chestnut brown. Gym rat’s bandanna was navy, and his cheeks were flushed. Blind girl’s skin was a smooth khaki color that I couldn’t quite place. What the hell was happening?

Intelligence check: 6. Success! You have darkvision.

I took a moment to process those seven words. I had a minute to think while quietly following Asshole. Darkvision, as in the ability to see in the dark? Plus “intelligence check”. D&D? You roll intelligence to know things in D&D, right? I was grasping at straws, but those were words I’d mostly seen in tabletop games. For fucks sake, out of all the religions in the world, do not tell me that anime is right about what happens when we die.

Really, I'd say I liked the opening up until the rest, then it just kind of felt like standard Isekai, which I'm not the intended audience of, but others are. If you do wish to improve prose, work on some more active writing since a lot of this is passive. Here's how...

This is mine, do whatever you want with it.
Enjoyed this one, actually. It's a bit rough in some places when it comes to the prose -- I feel you could improve your skills with description and how you use that to create atmosphere -- but I did like this one. I'd have some instant tips, but I need to create a guide or something like that in the future. I'll do it whenever enough people ask for it, I guess.

If you're interested, I'd love some feedback! First original story, so I'm a bit nervous.
Alright, this one grabbed me out of the gate. There's a bit of grammar that could use some work, like the start of the second paragraph.

That aside though, while I think the chapter is a bit long, this is actually really good! I'd say out of the batch I read today, it's the best. You started at a good moment, and did some nice character work throughout. I just kept getting a sense I was in good hands as I read. So yeah, this has my thumbs up.
If you would!
I found the opening sentence and such pretty boring. It's just light shining in. I decided to go back to the blurb and, given how mysterious that is, I kind of felt turned off already since this is acting too mysterious as opposed to giving me a concrete idea of what I'm reading. That combined with the slow pace. I just couldn't hook into it and kind of stopped wanting to read.

If you want anything specific, ask and I'll deliver a more detailed response. I'm just in one of my more melancholic states while doing this (figured doing something for others might pep me up), so I don't feel like doing a deep dive unless I'm certain the effort it takes is actually appreciated. Regardless, for those who want to know if I like their stuff or not, there you go with what I read up on.

Jerynboe

I liked the opening at first, up until it started inorganically adding in D&D-telling stuff instead of immersing it into the actual narrative. If you want to have it just pop up, I'd come up with some way to better represent it. For instance...

The littlest amazon’s hair shifted back and forth between black and chestnut brown. Gym rat’s bandanna was navy, and his cheeks were flushed. Blind girl’s skin was a smooth khaki color that I couldn’t quite place. What the hell was happening?

I took a moment to process those seven words. I had a minute to think while quietly following Asshole. Darkvision, as in the ability to see in the dark? Plus “intelligence check”. D&D? You roll intelligence to know things in D&D, right? I was grasping at straws, but those were words I’d mostly seen in tabletop games. For fucks sake, out of all the religions in the world, do not tell me that anime is right about what happens when we die.

Really, I'd say I liked the opening up until the rest, then it just kind of felt like standard Isekai, which I'm not the intended audience of, but others are. If you do wish to improve prose, work on some more active writing since a lot of this is passive. Here's how...
Thanks for giving it a look, I’ll definitely check out the video and keep your suggestions in mind. I actually started underlining system messages later on, and am embarrassed to realize I never went back and did that formatting on the early chapters.

Last edited:

NobleHeroine

Alright, this one grabbed me out of the gate. There's a bit of grammar that could use some work, like the start of the second paragraph.

That aside though, while I think the chapter is a bit long, this is actually really good! I'd say out of the batch I read today, it's the best. You started at a good moment, and did some nice character work throughout. I just kept getting a sense I was in good hands as I read. So yeah, this has my thumbs up.
Thank you! That's honestly incredibly exciting to hear.

Yeah, the length is... an issue I'm aware of, but it wasn't something I figured out a solution to. This is the fourth draft and it's still... chunky.

And thank you for picking up that grammar issue. You stare at a chapter long enough, it stops being actual words, I swear.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Thank you! That's honestly incredibly exciting to hear.

Yeah, the length is... an issue I'm aware of, but it wasn't something I figured out a solution to. This is the fourth draft and it's still... chunky.

And thank you for picking up that grammar issue. You stare at a chapter long enough, it stops being actual words, I swear.
The one thing I could maybe suggest for the opening would be The Rule of 10, to help break things up. In that, you make the first scene something genre-focused that scratches the itch for people and allows you to slow down in the stuff that follows in their own chapters. In your case, I imagine such an opening would start with the magical girl stuff in action -- unrelated to the protagonist -- as a small preview of stuff to come then chapter 2 would start the actual protagonist's story and build to it.

A good comparison for some who do this in the literary world is what Sanderson often does with his books. He'll start with someone more experienced who showcases things in motion before shifting over to the main cast, going about their daily lives, and building to such things interweaving. As I type this out, I realize films like the first Star Wars (...Episode 4) use this technique as well.

There is a danger in that you'd be starting with someone who isn't the lead with idenitfication, but I find it can work if it involves facing a main villain or we see through the victim's eyes. Or, as I've noticed, a major character who is an intro one that brings us to the main lead.

Though this is also just spitballing, admittedly, when thinking about how to break stuff up while still having a strong opening.

Not really into it. I found it bland. The emotions are surface-level, there's a lot of telling instead of showing, it lacks in descriptive detail to create sensory details or an atmosphere, and the vocabulary is eh. The lead didn't really grab me with anything to make me immerse into them and the fight scene seemed pretty lame, especially when it used onomatopeia in such a lazy way.

Drop the exposition dump in the first paragraph. It's boring and I recommend starting out with characters in motion and learning the information like that through their interactions. Also, for some proper structuring of dialogue, it should be...

"No good," the town healer said while shaking his head. "He's contracted the Bloom."

Or...

"No good." The town healer shook his head. "He's contracted the Bloom."

The way it could start with dialogue and reaction to things actually can make for a much more interesting opening.

The rest isn't all that bad. While I wasn't too excited, that's more just because I'm in an eh mood and emotionally numb at the moment. Still, I think you're doing a decent job.

Enjoyed this one, actually. It's a bit rough in some places when it comes to the prose -- I feel you could improve your skills with description and how you use that to create atmosphere -- but I did like this one. I'd have some instant tips, but I need to create a guide or something like that in the future. I'll do it whenever enough people ask for it, I guess.

I found the opening sentence and such pretty boring. It's just light shining in. I decided to go back to the blurb and, given how mysterious that is, I kind of felt turned off already since this is acting too mysterious as opposed to giving me a concrete idea of what I'm reading. That combined with the slow pace. I just couldn't hook into it and kind of stopped wanting to read.

If you want anything specific, ask and I'll deliver a more detailed response. I'm just in one of my more melancholic states while doing this (figured doing something for others might pep me up), so I don't feel like doing a deep dive unless I'm certain the effort it takes is actually appreciated. Regardless, for those who want to know if I like their stuff or not, there you go with what I read up on.
Thanks glad you liked mine, I'll keep your advice in mind.

AdOtherwise

Owl Who Reads · Hoot Hoot

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
I'm going to assume I was meant to start at the prologue since that's the first chapter I'd read. With that in mind, thumbs up actually. There's little tiny touches to the grammar I can see needed done, like... Here, I'll do the first paragraph:
---
The pounding of horse hooves echoed into the night, betraying her location to those who had already betrayed her. Right now, time was more important than stealth and she truly had little of it to spare. Rain droplets, heavy and cold, shattered against her face and body, soaking into her cloak. With one arm, she shifted the bundle of cloth she was holding, pulling it closer to her chest for safety and warmth. At the same time, drove her heels into the horse, urging it to move faster, faster, faster.
---
Here are examples of the tiny touch-ups I'd recommend...
---
The pounding of horse hooves echoed into the night, betraying her location to those who had already betrayed her. Time was more important than stealth and she truly had little of it to spare.

Rain droplets, heavy and cold, shattered against her face and body, soaking into her cloak. With one arm, she shifted the bundle of cloth she was holding, pulling it closer to her chest for safety and warmth. At the same time, she drove her heels into the horse, urging it to move faster, faster, faster.
---
As said, it's tiny touches that might just be a case of proofreading and all. I do that as well at times. Regardless, this nailed the opening!

NobleHeroine

The one thing I could maybe suggest for the opening would be The Rule of 10, to help break things up. In that, you make the first scene something genre-focused that scratches the itch for people and allows you to slow down in the stuff that follows in their own chapters. In your case, I imagine such an opening would start with the magical girl stuff in action -- unrelated to the protagonist -- as a small preview of stuff to come then chapter 2 would start the actual protagonist's story and build to it.

A good comparison for some who do this in the literary world is what Sanderson often does with his books. He'll start with someone more experienced who showcases things in motion before shifting over to the main cast, going about their daily lives, and building to such things interweaving. As I type this out, I realize films like the first Star Wars (...Episode 4) use this technique as well.

There is a danger in that you'd be starting with someone who isn't the lead with idenitfication, but I find it can work if it involves facing a main villain or we see through the victim's eyes. Or, as I've noticed, a major character who is an intro one that brings us to the main lead.

Though this is also just spitballing, admittedly, when thinking about how to break stuff up while still having a strong opening.
Hmmmm. That's not a bad idea, although I don't think I'll be doing anything that radical to an already published chapter. Still, something to keep in mind if I ever do a physical release or the like.

...I got to admit, I am curious. Is my story one you might continue reading?
Pure curiosity.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Hmmmm. That's not a bad idea, although I don't think I'll be doing anything that radical to an already published chapter. Still, something to keep in mind if I ever do a physical release or the like.

...I got to admit, I am curious. Is my story one you might continue reading?
Pure curiosity.
Yep! If I can find the time, it's one that would genuinely interest me to see how it plays out. I like some magical girl stuff and, even removing me feeling it was the best out of what I read that day, you show a lot of genuine skill that made me go "Alright, this seems trustworthy."

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Is this thread still on? Can I request for a feedback for my story, cuz I really needed it. Thank you.

Are you sure you want me to do it? Since to be upfront, I'm not the intended audience for works like this.

Late to the feedback party, I guess...if you ever get the chance to check my work, please do. I'm new here.

The opening monologue is boring and I would've stopped there the second I saw that if I didn't decide to speed through it real quick. Stuff like that isn't a hook -- characters are. People come to care about lore like that because of the characters. With that said, this isn't bad once it gets past the lore dump. You introduce a lot of elements that could be better paced IMO, but I do like the concept of Jerome trying to land a hit on Rihal and getting thwarted, with Rihal having a particular eye on Jerome. I think it's a bit on the nose about the powers and all that developing soon, but that's just me. Also, some spelling and grammar issues like grojy and anything time that need to be cleaned up.

kaisei

If there's any interest in something like this.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
I'm done. I no longer derive any personal meaning or satisfaction from this.

Though for some quick responses...

If there's any interest in something like this.
I like the concept, though not fond of this omniscient approach since it's very tell-y and guide as opposed to immersion.

Here's a bit on omniscient if you wish to build on it though.

Hey. If you'd take a look at my new novel and do a review, I'd appreciate it. It's a novel called "I am God, so bow your head" :giggle:
So far, readers seem to be intrigued, but I don't have much feedback that I would welcome. :whistle:
Exposition dump openings bore me. No reason to remember things and character is king. As I've said to others, you'd benefit more from starting strong with characters actually being themselves with a characteristic moment than lore dumping and introducing that stuff as it becomes relevant. Skill with exposition involves making it invisible. Dramatic necessity must come before the need to deliver information.

Here, see this one I made for some specific tips on handling fantasy and exposition...

Heyho :blob_cookie:
Me, on an endless quest of looking for feedback, would like to request an analysis of my first chapter of a relatively not so-new-anymore story. It does have a few readers, which makes me happy, but they mostly read quietly and go about their day. So I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong, I'm also still getting used to not writing in my native tongue.

I don't even know if you can take much away from just the first chapter, as it is a short chapter to introduce the protagonist and show "how she ceased to exist in her old world" - as it's Transmigration.

For some quick tips with the grammar, when doing direct internal dialogue, just use italicize. When it comes to regular dialogue, use simple quotation marks like "this" instead of 'this.' Though the chapter is fine for what you're aiming for. I wouldn't worry about it. I didn't really invest in her though since she really wasn't doing anything, so I didn't really feel I got much sense of who she was.

It's a nice start. I like some of the concepts, like opening with this landfill. Plus it fits well with the rebirth stuff you're going for, even if I'm not the biggest into amnesia plotlines. Still, this can work. I'd probably get to the discovery a bit faster in the opening line, but that's stuff I've spoken of before in this thread on how to make a strong first line.

There are some things that could be worked on, like skills with description. There are also grammatical errors and structural oddities in this from time to time. And some of the pacing feels off, like how Cain goes from terrified to laboring away. It's rushed. The tone can feel a bit inconsistent at times too, from dark and gothic to then just becoming way more casual.

If there's any I missed who already asked or if someone wants me to go back to my past detailed style for them, ask and I'll deliver. Otherwise, I'm just exhausted with this.

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
First of all: Thank you for reading through it, though I knew there wasn't much to take away from the Prologue here. It was indeed meant to not show much, but the bare minimum of what was going through her mind to unveil her mystery, just as much as "Rowena's" (the person she would wake up as in Chapter 1). But yeah, anyway, still thank you for your toil. I appreciate the effort. :blob_cookie: :blob_gift:
When it comes to regular dialogue, use simple quotation marks like "this" instead of 'this.'
As for this one: I actually don't know. I tried that at the very beginning after moving sites, as I couldn't use italic on the former main website (Webnovel). In fact, I couldn't even add a space between paragraphs, so I didn't use paragraphs but rather bonded scenes through a transitioning sentence.
Anyway, the reason I chose to leave it at that, is one of the characters speaking in the prologue already. His dialogue is italic, because he's talking into her mind, like a thought, but it's not hers or anyone else's on the scene. Not using anything would work, if he only had "those" and was italic at the same time, but this format is supposed to hint on a point later, where he indeed talks out loud, in a room with people, and they all hear him. And no, just because he's there, doesn't mean anyone but the protagonist can hear him, since he's bonded with her. There's times where it's important to know that everyone is hearing him and I want to make that clear through story and hints like that.
So, yeah, just trying to explain why I chose this style specifically, I guess? Now I'm a bit insecure about it again though xD I normally write first person, so it was new to me to write like this and find a way to do it anyway.
Believe it or not, sometimes I find such "inconsequential" choices to be more difficult than writing the chapter itself.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
It's more standardized stuff so people can tell what's going on. If anybody can just make up whatever they want, it would lead to greater confusion.

"This is used for regular dialogue," I said.

This is direct internal dialogue.

Indirect internal dialogue is more... well, I have a video on all of this.

If someone is putting thoughts into someone's head from someone else, should use indirect internal dialogue combined with tagging. Like...

This makes it more clear what's going on and less difficult to follow, the voice said.

'This isn't needed nor the way it works.'

yinjenxie

Hola, I would like to know how I did well for this one. I tried removing all gamified elements and wanted to stick with the narrative as much as possible. Thanks in advance.

LowinKeshin

Hola, I would like to know how I did well for this one. I tried removing all gamified elements and wanted to stick with the narrative as much as possible. Thanks in advance.

If I read it right, I believe that marc won't be doing anymore feedback on this thread. Though there are other feedback threads you can ask for help.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
If I read it right, I believe that marc won't be doing anymore feedback on this thread. Though there are other feedback threads you can ask for help.
This is correct, but... Eh, I'll squeeze in one more just because this isn't yet another Isekai or LitRPG. But this is the only exception I'm making. If I open another in the future, I'm retooling how I do this.

For web novels, this is fine. There is a bit of stuff you could do with prose to liven it up, switching from passive to active more.

That aside, I do like how you handle the dialogue and the actual events of the story. I'd maybe try to make the first line more catchy -- see what I've said about hooks somewhere in this thread -- but the actual events and idea of a traitor work. Everything going awry can work here. I DO feel there's too many characters to keep track of a bit, but it's not a big deal. Also, a part of me worries you overuse technical jagron throughout. That said, I actually like it more with the worldbuilding here since people are actively doing stuff.

Also, there are grammar issues that can be easily found and cleaned. For instance...
"Don't! It'll drag down our speed. Only when the energy shield is at 10%, and when we are also close to our target!", Julian advised. They were already locked in by the berserker cruiser's weapon systems so what was the point of evading now?

This should be...

"Don't!" Julian yelled. "It'll drag down our speed. Only when the energy shield is at 10%, and when we are also close to our target!"

And I'd cut the internal monologue there given everything going on. Also, if you do keep it that way, at least get rid of the comma.

Anyway, I'll give it a...hmm... I don't want to give it a thumbs down, but it isn't an enthusiastic thumbs up if that makes sense. You aren't doing bad at all though and should be proud of your work so far.

Oh, and you do a lot of telling instead of showing too, so here's this.

Last edited: