For words like realise/realize, which spelling is preferred?

For words like realise/realize, do you use an 's' or a 'z'

• Total voters

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I use British because I'm British. I think the standard is to use American if you're not, though.

Mihou

Firefly—
I just realized that some people use realise instead of realize... sometimes, you just realize there are many variations of English... the world just makes you realize about it.

Goswick

Drunken Australian
I'm a bit of an odd case because despite using British English (Australian) I actually do tend to use both s and z pretty interchangably. Usually, I make sure to keep to one when I'm writing though, and since I'm using British English - I mainly use s.

Also, to the four people who said they'd cut anyone who dares to use an s - fight me mate, I dare you.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I like Z.
Z has not many words it can shine in when you write British English.
At least not with my vocabulary.
So I give love to Z by using it.

SwirlyUnicorn

vous me voyez
Well in the Philippines, American English is what we are learning and using so it is normal that I'm used to American English way of spelling. But of course, I could use the British spelling especially that I am writing about Nobilities.

Lon3ly

English is my second language so I am incredibly inconsistent when it comes to how I spell things like realize/realise and gray/grey, I usually just try to stick with the same spelling every time I write those words,,

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
blackstar, you filthy traitor. Your first comment on the forums and you have to do me like that? We all know that Z is the best and most objectively correct.

Objective? There are many things that are objective, but the realm of language isn't of them.

Ace_Arriande

Objective? There are many things that are objective, but the realm of language isn't of them.
I'm just shitting around with a friend. I've known Blackstar for years. He's had to see me talk about how everything is subjective and nothing is objective plenty of times before. So, no, I don't actually think it's objective = P

Rinne

Professional Headpatter
As someone who originally learnt British English I usually try to keep with realise in formal text.
On the other hand, on the internet you are exposed mostly to American English and the majority of people use American English, so in chats I usually keep to realize because you simply get used to it when everyone around you does it.
Also less know-it-alls trying to correct you at every corner or complaining about it.

Novels and translations of novels often end up being in AE as well, many games too... You're simply more exposed to it.
In the end, most of my English ends up being a mix of BE and AE due to that, but when possible I try to default to BE. It's what I learnt.

As long as it is kind of consistent, just go with what you are more comfortable with.
Not like it matters for most people all that much anyway. Some use realise, others use realize. Some use learnt, and everyone who uses learned can go away. Shoo shoo.
Depending on where you live and which type of English you learnt, there are just so many variations.

Anyway, to quote an acquaintance: "The truth have many angle"