Free feedback thread.

OyoJan

Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished chapter
Bohe 2

Unfortunately I can't say much. Your story reminds me of septembersjudge's story, I mean the prose. The way you write, what is it, purple prose? Not sure. Anyway, your story is similar, but I think the quality is a bit worse. Why? I can't really answer the question. It's just a feeling I get. If septembersjudge's story deserved 3.75 stars, yours is 3.25. I really can't say why. I didn't notice any typos or mistakes, but I have this feeling like your style is less refined. It's not at its peak yet.

Two more things I can say about your novel. First. With how short your chapters are, personally, I disliked the usage of art, moreover AI art(I assume it is AI). With your chosen style, it actually distracted me from reading. But this is VERY subjective.

Second. Chapter two(Mulnara 1) looks way too much like a script. I don't know, maybe it's because you use present tense, or maybe there is something with the way your write, I don't know. But the dialogue in that chapter looked a lot like a script rather than a proper novel.

Oh, one more thing before I end this. This isn't a collection of short stories. So far it was a proper story with multiple POVs. And that's it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.
Hm, I see. Since you mention one of my chapters being read like a script, I don't really intend for my story to be that dialogue-heavy or not that it should look like that, anyway. You see, the reason I write my story in the present tense is because I want it to have that "filmmaking" type of experience if you know what I mean, which is why it's written that way. You know, as if you're watching a movie or something, I don't know. But thank you for the feedback, though. By the way, if my story is not a collection of short stories, what else should I call it?

SailusGebel

Hm, I see. Since you mention one of my chapters being read like a script, I don't really intend for my story to be that dialogue-heavy or not that it should look like that, anyway. You see, the reason I write my story in the present tense is because I want it to have that "filmmaking" type of experience if you know what I mean, which is why it's written that way. You know, as if you're watching a movie or something, I don't know.
The thing is, it's how I see your story. Right now, this is only my subjective opinion. If others share my opinion, than you have to change something. But you don't need to change a thing now.
By the way, if my story is not a collection of short stories, what else should I call it?
I would say this is a usual web novel so far.

Let's look at the definition of Collection of Short Stories on SH. This tag is to be used for novels with more than one oneshot/short story in its original RAW. The stories may or may not be connected to each other. This tag should not be confused with Oneshot tag or Short Story tag.

Personally, I think the collection should be connected thematically, maybe have references, but no direct continuity or direct connection. At the moment, your novel is, as I said, a usual web novel, but with multiple povs. A collection of short stories about Divinians, This is where the problem lies. If there was a story about Divinians, then a modern time GL story, than a story about space cows, than a story about fantasy lawnmowers, and so on, all in one novel, I would consider it a collection of short stories. But not now.

OyoJan

The thing is, it's how I see your story. Right now, this is only my subjective opinion. If others share my opinion, than you have to change something. But you don't need to change a thing now.

I would say this is a usual web novel so far.

Let's look at the definition of Collection of Short Stories on SH. This tag is to be used for novels with more than one oneshot/short story in its original RAW. The stories may or may not be connected to each other. This tag should not be confused with Oneshot tag or Short Story tag.

Personally, I think the collection should be connected thematically, maybe have references, but no direct continuity or direct connection. At the moment, your novel is, as I said, a usual web novel, but with multiple povs. A collection of short stories about Divinians, This is where the problem lies. If there was a story about Divinians, then a modern time GL story, than a story about space cows, than a story about fantasy lawnmowers, and so on, all in one novel, I would consider it a collection of short stories. But not now.
Ah, I see. It's so odd how I originally thought what that meant, but I see your point now. I'm gonna have to change some stuff then. Thanks for the suggestion. Still, I will continue to post short chapters since I can't really dedicate to writing longer ones.

SailusGebel

Ah, I see. It's so odd how I originally thought what that meant, but I see your point now. I'm gonna have to change some stuff then. Thanks for the suggestion. Still, I will continue to post short chapters since I can't really dedicate to writing longer ones.
I have not said anything about writing longer chapters. I simply shared my opinion that this tag doesn't belong to your story. And you should probably change your synopsis a little bit. But this is my subjective opinion, and my opinion doesn't have more weight than yours. Do what you are comfortable with, and good luck with your writing.

OyoJan

I have not said anything about writing longer chapters. I simply shared my opinion that this tag doesn't belong to your story. And you should probably change your synopsis a little bit. But this is my subjective opinion, and my opinion doesn't have more weight than yours. Do what you are comfortable with, and good luck with your writing.
Oh, understood. Apologies for the misunderstanding. And thanks.

SailusGebel

Sorry, but I will give feedback to one story. If you want to, you can make another request with the second story, but you will have to wait for me to finish giving feedback to everyone else here. As you can undertand, I picked the first story(My Goddes).

Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished Chapter 3 Skill Creation

I will start right away with mentioning two typos.

[Aww, you don't want to call me mommy. You're breaking mommy's heart,'

goddess Nox from a game I played before.

Although it's nothing major, I don't like the way you write. Honestly, I didn't notice any mistakes, but simply looking at the text I felt like it's not right. There are probably punctuation mistakes, and wrong tenses used here and there. But I'm not sure about this. Perhaps the reason I think like this is because of how you write? It feels somewhat clunky.

The second thing I want to mention is formatting. I dislike double space between paragraphs. Makes it hard to read since majority of your paragraphs are very short.

The third thing I want to mention is pacing. Not sure if this is how it is called, but yeah, out of 4 starting chapters, 2 are fully about system. I don't know, maybe this is what LitRPG readers want? As for me, it discouraged me from reading more. I already pushed through two chapters that were basically nothing more than a simple infodump, reading two more chapters without any plot, sorry, not my cup of tea.

Yeah, and since I mentioned plot, I can't say much about worldbuilding since I read too little. The only thing I can mention about world is a negative point that you didn't even attempt to describe the void. In an endless pitch-black void that stretched on into infinity To me it's not enough.

And now characters. Again, can't say much here. Lackluster descriptions, and a very abrupt change of personalities are downsides. The upside is that in so little amount of words you managed to create a personality. Not sure how fitting they are and what you will do in the future chapters, but for now it's a plus.

The last thing I will mention are dialogues. He said, she said, he wondered, he stated, he did that, she did that, and the lsit goes on. You overuse the dialogue and action tags, and there isn't enough diversity.

About overusing tags. Chill a little bit. Readers can understand who is who based on the context and previous tags. You don't need to put tag after every dialogue line.

About lacking diversity. First of all, stop calling characters by their names all the time. Use something other than Nyx and Zero. For example, you can call Nyx with; entity, primal goddess, otherworldy mother, and the list goes on. Depending on the context of what she said and did, you can switch how you name her.

Secondly, mix up where you put the said tags. Example of what I mean. She said, "Blah-Blah." instead of "Blah-Blah," she said. You already did it a couple of times, putting the tag between two lines, but I would like to see more diversity.

Thirdly I would like to see more diversity of actuall verbs. Not only said, but mumbled, roared, cackled, whispered, and the list goes on. Once again you did it, but not enough. And obviously it has to fit the context. So, how can you not overuse he\she said all the time, and make it fit the context?
Use action tags. Two examples. Zero rubbed his chin. Nox brushed her hair. I understand the limitations you had in chapter 0 and 1, but later on, there is no limitation to the usage of action tags.

And that's the end of my feedback. Can't say or mention anything else. Overall, it was easy to read and relatively easy to understand, but it wasn't pleasant to read. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 3 stars. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.

nii07

Yeah I
Sorry, but I will give feedback to one story. If you want to, you can make another request with the second story, but you will have to wait for me to finish giving feedback to everyone else here. As you can undertand, I picked the first story(My Goddes).

Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished Chapter 3 Skill Creation

I will start right away with mentioning two typos.

[Aww, you don't want to call me mommy. You're breaking mommy's heart,'

goddess Nox from a game I played before.

Although it's nothing major, I don't like the way you write. Honestly, I didn't notice any mistakes, but simply looking at the text I felt like it's not right. There are probably punctuation mistakes, and wrong tenses used here and there. But I'm not sure about this. Perhaps the reason I think like this is because of how you write? It feels somewhat clunky.

The second thing I want to mention is formatting. I dislike double space between paragraphs. Makes it hard to read since majority of your paragraphs are very short.

The third thing I want to mention is pacing. Not sure if this is how it is called, but yeah, out of 4 starting chapters, 2 are fully about system. I don't know, maybe this is what LitRPG readers want? As for me, it discouraged me from reading more. I already pushed through two chapters that were basically nothing more than a simple infodump, reading two more chapters without any plot, sorry, not my cup of tea.

Yeah, and since I mentioned plot, I can't say much about worldbuilding since I read too little. The only thing I can mention about world is a negative point that you didn't even attempt to describe the void. In an endless pitch-black void that stretched on into infinity To me it's not enough.

And now characters. Again, can't say much here. Lackluster descriptions, and a very abrupt change of personalities are downsides. The upside is that in so little amount of words you managed to create a personality. Not sure how fitting they are and what you will do in the future chapters, but for now it's a plus.

The last thing I will mention are dialogues. He said, she said, he wondered, he stated, he did that, she did that, and the lsit goes on. You overuse the dialogue and action tags, and there isn't enough diversity.

About overusing tags. Chill a little bit. Readers can understand who is who based on the context and previous tags. You don't need to put tag after every dialogue line.

About lacking diversity. First of all, stop calling characters by their names all the time. Use something other than Nyx and Zero. For example, you can call Nyx with; entity, primal goddess, otherworldy mother, and the list goes on. Depending on the context of what she said and did, you can switch how you name her.

Secondly, mix up where you put the said tags. Example of what I mean. She said, "Blah-Blah." instead of "Blah-Blah," she said. You already did it a couple of times, putting the tag between two lines, but I would like to see more diversity.

Thirdly I would like to see more diversity of actuall verbs. Not only said, but mumbled, roared, cackled, whispered, and the list goes on. Once again you did it, but not enough. And obviously it has to fit the context. So, how can you not overuse he\she said all the time, and make it fit the context?
Use action tags. Two examples. Zero rubbed his chin. Nox brushed her hair. I understand the limitations you had in chapter 0 and 1, but later on, there is no limitation to the usage of action tags.

And that's the end of my feedback. Can't say or mention anything else. Overall, it was easy to read and relatively easy to understand, but it wasn't pleasant to read. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 3 stars. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.
Yeah, somewhat clunky is the best way to describe it. I wrote this story a long time ago, and it was before I really started proofreading so grammatically I also think it's awful. Thanks for the review, I find it vital for all my future works. I'll try to go back and proofread the earlier chapter and try to fix some of those mistakes. I also saw that I needed more diversity when it came to verbs and descriptive words. I tended to use similar words which kind of made some chapters sound similar like you were rereading something instead of reading on. I think 3 stars is better than what I thought it'd get. The only question I have is do you feel the story is worth continuing? I also have a quick request in that would you look at the latest chapter and see if these problems still persist? Once again I thank you for taking time out to read and give me this review I really appreciate it.

I'll go ahead and request the second novel too

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/843715/bleach-gazing-mirage/

SailusGebel

The only question I have is do you feel the story is worth continuing?
I'm sorry, but this isn't a question I should answer. I'm just a single reader, and I have my own likes and dislikes. From what I've seen, you have a decent amount of readers who like your novel. Don't be pressured by them, but at the same time don't decide eveyrthing on your own. Ask them what they think. Ask them and share your thoughts. If you want one thing and they want another, reason with them and explain your thoughts, and why you will do this or that. In other words, decide for yourself.
I also have a quick request in that would you look at the latest chapter and see if these problems still persist?
I will do it tomorrow.

nii07

I'm sorry, but this isn't a question I should answer. I'm just a single reader, and I have my own likes and dislikes. From what I've seen, you have a decent amount of readers who like your novel. Don't be pressured by them, but at the same time don't decide eveyrthing on your own. Ask them what they think. Ask them and share your thoughts. If you want one thing and they want another, reason with them and explain your thoughts, and why you will do this or that. In other words, decide for yourself.

I will do it tomorrow.
Thanks I'll take that to heart 🙂

NoppaiCanno

I was led to the wise guru of forums

I seek your wisdom

Fallen_Pages

Sorry for taking so long, I was busy and lazy, very lazy. Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished Chapter 4: Ten Thousand Years (II)

I can't say much. I obviously can't comment on the plot, worldbuilding, and characters since I read too little. However, I can't say much about your prose, the way you write, as well.

It was easy to read and comprehend. I rate it highly, and I actually like the way you write. The way you chose to narrate the story, making your MC the narrator, is relatively unique. I mean, compared to the rest of the stories I gave feedback to. And this is probably the only thing I can talk about in detail, and mention any kind of criticism. Three things I want to say.

First thing, in your case, I'm more or less okay with parentheses(this () thing). However, I feel like you overuse it ever so slightly, the same with ellipsis in the synopsis. A little bit too much.

The second thing I want to say is, not enough personality. The fact that your MC is the narrator is a double-edged sword. I feel like the synopsis had the best balance of this. In chapters? Sometimes, it was too dry, not enough personality. What I mean is, not enough personal comments, not enough random tangents, or something like that.

This is partially connected to the third thing I wanted to say. I didn't really get the personality of MC. What I got is more of an assumption. Not sure if this is something that you want.

Anyway, everything that I mentioned is rather subjective. You don't have to change your story based on anything I said above, but if it overlaps with your own vision or feedback from other people, then you should probably change something.

I can also mention a couple of mistakes.

A starting sorcerer or sorceress It's not the same as a proper mage. It's? You wanted to write "is" right?

I would have to apologize if anyone were to my continuous rambling What? I think you missed a word here.

And even if I did, circuses are full of other types of creatures to be interested in unusual-looking people. I can't even understand what this means.

And that's the end of my feedback. Can't say or mention anything else. There were no more mistakes, at least I didn't notice any. And as I mentioned, it was easy to read and understand. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 3.25 stars. I would say your novel is good, but far from being the best. And what separates you from those best(aprat from what I've mentioned), I can't quite explain it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.
Hey, thank you very much for your feedback! I also want to apologize for my late reply!

I was working on a new project (and still am) that I think is much better than what I was writing (specifically, I think that I improved in that each chapter is now more interesting by itself, which I think was lacking despite the premise being interesting.

My main language isn't English either, and I don't write my novels in it, so between the translation and correction software, I make mistakes like the ones you stated; I don't know how I didn't catch them, though hahaha.

Yeah, the MC hasn't much personality or past because I wanted the reader to really feel like he was the MC and put himself in its shoes, but maybe the next one has a little bit more; who knows?

Once again, thank you! See you in another novel! And if its mine maybe then I can make you read more than just the prologue haha.

SailusGebel

Father Sailus, I've come to bring an offering.
Obligatory reminder that English is my second language, and this is subjective feedback from a reader. I stopped reading after I finished chapter 2 – Catch Flame
I don't know what to say or how to react. This, "Review Thread’s Story," led me to think that something ain't right. :blob_hmm_two:

Oh well, I guess I will simply do things as usual. The way you write is okay. Not the best, but I like it, and I didn't notice any mistakes. Easy to understand easy to comprehend. That's a plus. Can't comment on the plot, worldbuilding, and characters since I read so little, but there are no logical mistakes or plotholes, so that's a plus.

I would've stopped here and said I'm sorry, I can't say more, gave you 3.5-3.75 stars, and moved on to make another feedback. Yet there is actually one thing that confuses me.

I'm not sure what it is. Is it Pacing? Is it me? Anyway, I feel like everything happens out of order and way too fast. The description of who MC is doesn't look natural and breaks the pacing. I'm not saying you can't put it there, but, in my opinion, it should be reworked.

I forgot this part. The bell in the clocktower tolled and dusk fell onto the walled town. And I was thinking what the hell happened? MC looked like she was going to school, work, or college, but ended up in a tavern. Obviously, this is my problem and mistake, forgetting a part of the story. But in my defense, I will say that I would've liked a little bit more descriptions so that it would be easier to paint the picture. So I can imagine where things happen, and how. Or make the existing descriptions a bit larger. Just a tiny bit, don't overdo it.

Back to this "pacing" problem. Example from the first chapter. She sang one song for thirty minutes? I understand she spent some time warming up, and so on, but it didn't feel like she spent thirty minutes(the time it takes for the next bard to arrive) yet she did.

I don't know how to phrase this properly, but I feel like the story isn't connected properly. Although there are descriptions, exposition, and action, it doesn't stick together. For some reason, I still get a feeling that everything happens in a vacuum and time is uneven.

And that's the end of my feedback. Sorry for not being able to phrase this properly, but that's the best I can do. As usual, I didn't rate your novel, but if I had to, 3.25 stars. I didn't discard the thought that maybe it's all me, and it is my subjective perception, but I am not sure. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. If I can, I will answer them.

wannabewriter

Would love to get some feedback on this :)