Free First Chapter Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavineAbyss

....:s_smile::s_smile::s_smile::s_smile:

Aniket-111

Can you read my story.(1st chapter). It is there in this site. It's name is The Forgotten Universe.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
....:s_smile::s_smile::s_smile::s_smile:
So I'm going to say no, the tone of this one messed with my brain a little.

What is it, exactly? Are you going for drama or comedy? You had two genuinely good jokes that put a smile on my face which is rare. One of them right up front. But then. . . there weren't other jokes? Are you just a funny person who wanted to write something. . . serious?

I don't know because if you were going for serious, you skip over a lot of tension building. The character gets put in another world and he's like "ah yes, I've transmigrated here." That's not a serious line, that's a comedy line. In a serious story, your character would be confused and out of place, trying to figure out what is going on, even if he had "meta" knowledge.

So I just don't know. What is it? Whatever you want it to be, you might want to show your hand a bit more.
Can you read my story.(1st chapter). It is there in this site. It's name is The Forgotten Universe.
. . . do you want me to copy and paste the first time I did it or. . . ?

Aniket-111

Can I also get a feedback on my story, The Forgotten Universe. Below is the pic of my cover.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Novel Cover.jpeg
    Novel Cover.jpeg
    623.9 KB · Views: 66

Aniket-111

Oh, sorry never noticed that you both were actually the same. Thanks for the review by the way.

D

Deleted member 29081

Just published this chapter. Anyone on this thread, let me know if you want me to review your work's first chapter. Here is a link to mine.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Can it be! Is my thread back from the dead! It's aaaaalllliiiiiivveeeeeee.

Would not keep reading.

So I love the first few openings sentences, a lot. I was so invested that when you did the 80's break, cut to narrator explaining it's the future thing I was kind of sad. I really wanted to keep reading from where we were.

The problems start immediately after that break. The set up seems incongruent with the lead, and then the character's voice goes too far for me and he just turns into an asshole. And from there, there isn't really anything that's horribly interesting to me. If anything, I find the worldbuilding we have to be pretty jarring.

And then first and foremost, this is a comedy. I should just keep a prepared blurb to copy and paste at this point, but comedy is purely subjective in almost every sense. With that said, the comedy here did not work for me. Regardless of anything else, when a comedy isn't found funny, then everything else almost doesn't matter. It's live or die on that point.

Tessa_Renalds

Neighborhood DM
If I ever revamp Origin, I’ll hit you up. I need to do a serious sit down and revisit the first few chapters. Maybe even do a complete re write. :3

hiroaki

Hello! I'd love to hear your review with chapter one of this! I'm wondering whether it'd be enjoyable for the readers! You can give me any constructive criticism, and I will gladly recieve it!

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen

Hello! I'd love to hear your review with chapter one of this! I'm wondering whether it'd be enjoyable for the readers! You can give me any constructive criticism, and I will gladly recieve it!
I don't know if I can give my standard rating. Instead, my general impressions: mostly bored but interested.

So let's get the band aid ripped off. Your first few pages are the poster child for bland and uninteresting. You went so far out of your way to include every inconsequential way to start a story that I thought I might be reading some genius bit of satire or parody, so I jumped to the end to see what the big twist was. Aliens? Was he dead the whole time? Apparently that's just how you wanted to tell your story.

But then the good. There were slight shimmers with the character work and then a few bits that didn't work. But then once you put the two characters the story is about together, that's when it really starts to work for me. It's an interesting dynamic, and while there are parts of the two I find really annoying, it works together? The fact that they are both so over the top in opposite ways and still playing off each other got interesting and I really liked it. And in turn I liked them more.

And that's the thing isn't it? It's a character piece so that's what you have to nail. So that's good.

I did go ahead and copy and paste to see the word count and yeah, it's really long. 6k words is well above average for a normal chapter, let alone a first chapter. The length definitely added to some of the fatigue.

So in terms of critique, 1: The beginning. 2: Shorten it up.
And while it would be easy to say just cut the beginning to shorten it up, you still need a beginning so it's not as simple as all that.

Overall? I don't know. I think you're on to something here even if you didn't always present it in the best way.

Monk_Origins

I originally didn't want to do this, but seeing that you are a harsh(honest) critic, here you go:
I haven't been able to get proper feedback since starting to rewrite, you see...

elfkan

Hi! It would be great if you can check my "novel" out! I think it would be great to see if a skirmish could work out as a first chapter.

Thank you very much!

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I originally didn't want to do this, but seeing that you are a harsh(honest) critic, here you go:
I haven't been able to get proper feedback since starting to rewrite, you see...
Would not keep reading.

Everything is on the averagish side with a few issues that put it a little under that. Namely the writing. Everything makes sense and is grammatical, but it's just kind of rough in terms of quality. Just kind of blunt. Characters don't feel super human.

And the opening is grating. Having someone wake up and have to figure out what is going on is generally kind of weak. I would only do that if there was no other way of doing it. I don't think you have to write it that way. And point b, if you are going to do it, get through it and establish what you can asap. Don't linger on the amensia or loss of place.

Finally, it's realllyyyyyyy long. Especially for an opening chapter.
Hi! It would be great if you can check my "novel" out! I think it would be great to see if a skirmish could work out as a first chapter.

Thank you very much!
This one is borderline, but I'm leaning with no, really for one reason.

So generally, it's interesting. There's a bit of moon man talk at first where you throw out a bunch and don't establish it, but it was never overwhelming.

The problem is in the story telling and the in-chapter story. Namely, you state up front what is going to happen: how there is going to be a small skirmish and then everyone moves on their way like it's routine. I loved that both in terms of voice and in terms of story telling because expectations are now that that is the one thing that won't happen.

And then it's exactly what is happens. . . . It's like an anti hook. A hook would be that line I commented on and then everything goes to hell. A hook would be "Our scouts report there are no enemies for miles" and then boom, firefight. It fundamentally violates the idea of set up and pay off. Promise to your reader and delivery. Once again, when you look your read dead in the eye and tell them something is going to happen, you are promising that is the one thing that can't happen.

Last edited:

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
You know, honest opinions are probably what matters most so let's rip the bandaid. The first chapter is PG-15 with a language warning at most.

The first chapter imho was the hardest for me to write. Both because this was my first chapter ever and I wanted to write an extreme shift in character perspective. I am mostly aware of how lousy it was, but having a direct opinion will definitely help me avoid similar mistakes in the future.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
You know, honest opinions are probably what matters most so let's rip the bandaid. The first chapter is PG-15 with a language warning at most.

The first chapter imho was the hardest for me to write. Both because this was my first chapter ever and I wanted to write an extreme shift in character perspective. I am mostly aware of how lousy it was, but having a direct opinion will definitely help me avoid similar mistakes in the future.
Would keep reading? I think?

So there's really two competing points here and the only thing I'm lacking is your intention on that positive. The Good? The Voice. Great character voice. The bad? There are a lot of mistakes and a general lack of clarity.

So what's the issue as a read? Because there are so many mistakes, I'm not 100% sure the character voice was all intentional. It could be possible that you tried to write the character normally and failed so spectacularly that he moved back around to being brilliant. Is he speaking well thought out slang and from a lack of education? Or is that just the writing?

IrRegardless, I would still tighten up the narrative bits a little bit. I wasn't always 100% sure what was going on story-wise. I'll just say: I had some questions.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Would keep reading? I think?

So there's really two competing points here and the only thing I'm lacking is your intention on that positive. The Good? The Voice. Great character voice. The bad? There are a lot of mistakes and a general lack of clarity.

So what's the issue as a read? Because there are so many mistakes, I'm not 100% sure the character voice was all intentional. It could be possible that you tried to write the character normally and failed so spectacularly that he moved back around to being brilliant. Is he speaking well thought out slang and from a lack of education? Or is that just the writing?

IrRegardless, I would still tighten up the narrative bits a little bit. I wasn't always 100% sure what was going on story-wise. I'll just say: I had some questions.
Thank you. The mistakes were intentional: at the start of the story, MC is an illiterate slave.

Changes are subtly happening over the course of chapters as the effects take full hold.

unfortunately, I have a raging boner for a mystery so each chapter is slowly telling a bit without revealing it all. But every chapter progresses the plot. hopefully.

Edit: I added the Mystery genre to highlight the fact that there is some unknown stuff happening. That along with the unreliable narrator tag should provide some hint for the others. I expanded a few descriptions, but because I know what is going on the descriptions do make sense to me, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.