From one star rating to five

InceTagn

A stranger passing by.
I am wondering how I should rate a story. No one told me, the exact meaning behind the different kinds of ratings, one star, two stars...
So I assumed things on my own, and when rating story I used these self tougt rules:

No rating: I do not know what I should expect from the story. It is not my favorite genre so I do not exactly know what I should expect (boys love for me, horror for some people, Litrpg and Xianxia for others)

one-star rating: the author asked for a one-star rating, or the story is messing with me, being unreadable and too confusing, bordering the level of machine translation.

two-star rating:???

three-star rating: the author is writing like a madman and a genius periodically.

four-star rating: good story, but I often give this rating to the average story to motivate the author to write more. After all, I can change my writing at any time.

five-star rating: good story, I will give a heart every two chapters or so as they are my favorites( I have too many favorites)

what are your criteria while reading a story and how do you interpret the ratings given to your story?
enlighten...me

gogo7966

banishing a light and a dark. she/her
i dont belive in rating and never use it

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I am wondering how I should rate a story. No one told me, the exact meaning behind the different kinds of ratings, one star, two stars...
So I assumed things on my own, and when rating story I used these self tougt rules:

No rating: I do not know what I should expect from the story. It is not my favorite genre so I do not exactly know what I should expect (boys love for me, horror for some people, Litrpg and Xianxia for others)

one-star rating: the author asked for a one-star rating, or the story is messing with me, being unreadable and too confusing, bordering the level of machine translation.

three-star rating: the author is writing like a madman and a genius periodically.

four-star rating: good story, but I often give this rating to the average story to motivate the author to write more. After all, I can change my writing at any time.

five-star rating: good story, I will give a heart every two chapters or so as they are my favorites( I have too many favorites)

what are your criteria while reading a story and how do you interpret the ratings given to your story?
enlighten...me
2 to 4 are deep state illusions

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
For stories I review (Simple ratings don't count, sorry. Sometimes I leave scores without fully processing my impressions, I'm a busy skull)

For me 3s are average/enjoyable pieces or flawed works that fall short of their premise or end up betraying my trust/wasting my time halfway but aren't bad enough to go down a grade. The color of the review/comments will make it clear which side of the split a particular work lands on. A 4 is great, and 5s are masterworks, the kind of stuff I'd buy at retail price. Typically they manage to move me emotionally throughout the entire ride (or make me feel very, very laid).

I don't think I've given out a review with a 5 yet. PM me, test your luck, I promise to not be gentle PM @Maromar for SFW stories, we're the same person, and that persona is infinitely nicer.

2 is for works that could use a lot of improvement but show at least some effort while 1s are reserved for dumpsterfires or super edgy/blatent "ironically political but not unpolitical" pieces that only beta cucks wouldn't appreciate for the way it boldly "breaks down PC culture" or "owns the sensitive NPCs"

You can be irreverent and offensive without sounding like you need to get some tattoos removed if you ever wanted to join the millitary. Lord.

Last edited:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
You can be irreverent and offensive without sounding like you need to get some tattoos removed if you ever wanted to join the millitary. Lord.
Depending on where you live, those tattoos are an integral part of military social life.

Also, what places are home to people who go to the length of writing books about that?

icey6

enlighten...me
authors ask for one star ratings? why?

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
Depending on where you live, those tattoos are an integral part of military social life.

Also, what places are home to people who go to the length of writing books about that?

Certain hyper nationalistic (usually CH JP and KR, but the West does it, too) creators have unabashed narrative bleed-through of racist viewpoints often seen in "soft" forms like certain hentai doujin authors only portraying dark-skinned characters as samboesque or orkiod creatures that exist only to rape innocent characters, (likely to avoid moral reflection by making the male character which the artists and readers are "supposed" to project into disconnected enough from them to make the cognitive gymnastics easier). Tamer creators make jokes like having children bite their own fingers while eating chocolate because "Haha! He's so stupid he can't tell the difference!" but more overt forms exist as seen in Little Tyrant Doesn't Want to Meet With a Bad End where the MC summons a caricature of the African Pallbearers, makes them extremely weak, calls them coolies (a slur for unskilled laborers) and makes them farm instead of carrying out their intended function while missing no chance to deride them as useless wastes of bone (they're undead) despite the MC profiting quite a bit off of them.

I don't even get angry at this kind of stuff, I just groan. It's not funny, it just gives off the same kind of expired mountain dew and body odor essence as people who unironically use Xx_name_xX gamer tags to look cool.

It's not based, it's cringe.

Last edited:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Certain hyper nationalistic (usually CH JP and KR, but the West does it, too) creators have unabashed narrative bleed-through of racist viewpoints often seen in "soft" forms like certain hentai doujin authors only portraying dark-skinned characters as samboesque or orkiod creatures that exist only to rape innocent characters. Tamer creators make jokes like having children bite their own fingers while eating chocolate because "Haha! He's so stupid he can't tell the difference!" but more overt forms exist as seen in Little Tyrant Doesn't Want to Meet With a Bad End where the MC summons a caricature of the African Pallbearers, makes them extremely weak, calls them coolies (a slur for unskilled laborers) and makes them farm instead of carrying out their intended function while missing no chance to deride them as useless wastes of bone (they're undead) despite the MC profiting quite a bit off of them.

I don't even get angry at this kind of stuff, I just groan. It's not funny, gives off the same kind of expired mountain dew and body odor essence as people who unironically use Xx_name_xX gamer tags to look cool.

It's not based, it's cringe.
Oh, from your rant I expected primarily politically motivated works, not just bleed.

And places as in on the web, in the world that shouldn't be contained to anywhere I'd say

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
Oh, from your rant I expected primarily politically motivated works, not just bleed.

And places as in on the web, in the world that shouldn't be contained to anywhere I'd say

Even politically motivated works can do what they do and not be utterly stupid in their execution. GATE, for example was pretty decent despite its nationalist undertones (even if it did get boring halfway through).

It's in the execution.

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
1-star: I hate this shit. I should only rate it 1 star if I hate it.
2-star: I don't like it very much but I don't hate it.
3-star: What I am doing here? Well, it's so-so. Not good, not bad.
4-star: It seems very good just I think it can be better.
5-star: Oh my G**, more... more... I want more... Kya~ there are more~~

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
5 is the default for me.
4 is either poor grasp of language or a poor plot, but not both.
3 is both.
2 is well written garbage. Not enjoyable mind you, just good grammar and spelling.
1 is badly written garbage or K5Rakitan's stuff.
For 2's and 1's, I usually don't read the story, and if I don't read a story, I don't rate it.

That's for ratings though. They aren't that important except maybe for increasing the stories popularity. If I actually reviewed something, I would probably use a 10/10 rating system instead, or focus on individual parts. Like, 5 star writing, 3 star plotting, 1 star world building.

Cossimeri

Purveyor of Yuri Adventures
I give a 5 to things I like. If I don't like it, I don't usually leave a rating at all.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
It's either 5 or 1
No in between

Not that I have much to say about it.

InceTagn

A stranger passing by.
Do authors ask for one-star ratings? why?
Some feel quirky at times, others know how easy it is to jump to the latest page (one star) compared to reaching the middle.

In these cases, I often give a reverse rating. Five if I dislike and one if I really like it

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Even politically motivated works can do what they do and not be utterly stupid in their execution. GATE, for example was pretty decent despite its nationalist undertones (even if it did get boring halfway through).

It's in the execution.
you mean to tell me that that gothic loli hentai character compilation has a whole manga attached to it?

MyukiMruieast

Departure of Motivation led me to want water
Ya all decide whether it's 1-5 stars?? I just press the five stars all the time, it must also because I don't rate things if I don't like it, I just go home and find something good er.

BigBadBoi

5 - absolutely amazing
4 - rough around the edges but pretty good
3 - average
2 - way way below average but not utter shit
1- absolute garbage that nobody should touch with a ten kilometer pole even ironically

Last edited:

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Aside from all the political nonsense some of the posters placed, you know the usual "look at me, I'm a good guy, watch me say how awful *insert-social-something-something-muh-racist-sexist-everyother-ist/ism" is, in short, the fake bleeding hearts, the best advice realistically, is to avoid using 1's because if you do, the author will most likely throw a hissy fit and start the next round of threads about how trolls 1-star'd their work because how dare someone not like their work and therefore rate it poorly right?

So drop a 3 for meh but decent, 4 for good, and 5 if you especially liked it and might even want to re-read it. If you didn't care for it, drop it and say nothing or leave comments on separate chapters on what you think the problem is if you have an opinion at all. Beware though, criticism of even the softest kind isn't taken well by many here though they'll ask you for it and swear it's appreciated, you know, until you give it.

Last edited: