From one star rating to five

TotallyHuman

SH man uses ratings, forum appalled. For more news on this case, visit our website

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I am wondering how I should rate a story. No one told me, the exact meaning behind the different kinds of ratings, one star, two stars...
So I assumed things on my own, and when rating story I used these self tougt rules:

No rating: I do not know what I should expect from the story. It is not my favorite genre so I do not exactly know what I should expect (boys love for me, horror for some people, Litrpg and Xianxia for others)

one-star rating: the author asked for a one-star rating, or the story is messing with me, being unreadable and too confusing, bordering the level of machine translation.

two-star rating:???

three-star rating: the author is writing like a madman and a genius periodically.

four-star rating: good story, but I often give this rating to the average story to motivate the author to write more. After all, I can change my writing at any time.

five-star rating: good story, I will give a heart every two chapters or so as they are my favorites( I have too many favorites)

what are your criteria while reading a story and how do you interpret the ratings given to your story?
enlighten...me
Rate it however way you like it. It's your choice. If the story is shit, there is no reason it should get 4, unless your criteria for rating is based on effort and not on quality. If you feel the rating should reflect only the quality, then feel free to rate it 1. Ratings don't really matter.

What matters is your comments and reviews. If you like it, say why you like it. If you don't like it, say why you don't like it. Maybe that will help the author improve as an author.

Ai-chan is quite a generous person when it comes to ratings. If Ai-chan likes something, Ai-chan would give it a 5, even with its flaws. If Ai-chan thinks there's something missing but it's overall pretty enjoyable, Ai-chan would give it a 4. If it's a "Meh, this could've been better", Ai-chan would give it a 3. If it's very bad but Ai-chan isn't immediately repulsed by it, Ai-chan would give it a 2. If anything deserves a 1, Ai-chan won' rate it, as 1 stars would often ruin a person's motivation and make them stop writing. Ai-chan doesn't want that kind of karma.

BomBomBom

I leave a 4-5 stars for works I like. Usually they are works that make me binge read from first chapter to all the way to the latest. I dont read (thus dont rate) works that:
1) not have many chapter (less than 10) because then I won't know how to rate them. I need many chapters to build up attachment and understand the story. Exception still exist tho.
2) I dont like it.

So it either 4 stars or above, or nothing. For regular works

But then I also give 1-2 stars review for works that people like it, but I really hate it. Haven't come across those works in original works on RR or scribble, but there are many on novelupdates.

Marunikyu

Most excellent anti-Marxist smut writer
1s are reserved for dumpsterfires or super edgy/blatent "ironically political but not unpolitical" pieces that only beta cucks wouldn't appreciate for the way it boldly "breaks down PC culture" or "owns the sensitive NPCs"
Sounds like you're the one who rated my novel a 1 star lol
Stay mad, beta cuck NPC Satanist brainwashed slave :blob_joy:

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
Sounds like you're the one who rated my novel a 1 star lol
Stay mad, beta cuck NPC Satanist brainwashed slave :blob_joy:

Never read your novel, but I will now :s_tongue:.

Looks fine to me. The synopsis reads like someone telling me about the story in a casual conversation rather than a "proper" traileresque thing, but the premise is intreasting.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I don't think I've given out a review with a 5 yet. PM me, test your luck, I promise to not be gentle PM @Maromar for SFW stories, we're the same person, and that persona is infinitely more nicer.
I'll never pass free reviews, but I'll have to come back to this later

Marunikyu

Most excellent anti-Marxist smut writer
Never read your novel, but I will now :s_tongue:.

Looks fine to me. The synopsis reads like someone telling me about the story in a casual conversation rather than a "proper" traileresque thing, but the premise is intreasting.
Hum alright I'll think of reworking the synopsis, thanks for the feedback!

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Been doing this:
5 stars +review and/or commenting constantly and actively sponsoring just because I can. i.e. why aren't you selling this or why isn't this more popular- Basically, me forming attachment issues.

5 stars- I loved it and would read it again. Can't really complain about anything unless I decide to nitpick.

4 stars- I liked it enough that I would re-read if I had time for it. There were issues that took away from my experience while reading. Might have had patches of limbo/meandering/side-issues in progression or grammar that even if I did power through it still felt off.

3 stars- Decent and would recommend. I'll remember it but, one read through was enough. Would probably write a review for it so people won't pass it off.

2 stars- It was mostly annoying. Had some qualities that I could see but there was something very off putting that made me drop it after giving it a fair enough chance. By my own extremely biased standards at this point.

1 star- Would be anything that I just couldn't even bother giving a chance. In other words. I don't give this one out unless the person actively decided to take an attitude against the readers.