Got my first 1 star

YeetusFeetus

I got a 1 star, and have no idea why I got it, so I'm as confused as you are. Though I think mine is justified

1600277875962.png

Here's a meme to cheer you up (random meme I found)

K5Rakitan

Level 35 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Congratulations! It's perfectly normal. I got three when I first joined, and I already know my worth as a writer from other sites, so I figured I would have some fun with it. If you want ratings accompanied by feedback, I recommend writing.com.

YeetusFeetus

Tnx, it did cheer me up. Just from a casual look, I can see your story seems very interesting, and deserve a lot better :)
Thanks, very much appreciated. Don't feel bad because you got a 1 star, what's important is that your readers enjoy your story as much as you enjoy writing it!

(Here's another meme because I don't have anything else to do rn.)
1600278720861.png

Congratulations! It's perfectly normal. I got three when I first joined, and I already know my worth as a writer from other sites, so I figured I would have some fun with it. If you want ratings accompanied by feedback, I recommend writing.com.

I looked into your book, that is an interesting approach haha :)

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Brace yourselves for more. They never come with a comment, review or explanation since most of the time they are from people who didn't even see the first chapter, just disliked the title, image, premise, synopsis, whatever. Some do actually check the story, but still hide that fact and decide to ninja rate it so that you can't know who and why did it.

If you suspect a griefing situation (with many ratings appearing in a short period of time) you can use the report function on your story's page and explain the issue in the ticket. If it was malicious, the ratings will get removed. But it's hard to judge so it doesn't always happen. I'm at 12 one stars currently, where 5 of them appeared overnight but didn't seem malicious enough for the admin to take action against.

People are aware how flawed the rating system is and will check your story anyway, even if it's under 4, if the synopsis is decent, cover looks nice or the story has many views or readers. You just have to live with it. That's all.

YuujiEveryleaf

yep, nothing unusual. Got two 1-stars only on the first chapter. Haters gonna hate :)

What to do? Keep on writing! You ain't going to improve otherwise.

It seems it really was considered a troll; it got removed. Appreciate all the comments and help.
And I guess I will be prepared for more 1-star ratings in the future.
Thanks again, everyone.

Shiver

Yeps, perfectly normal. Doesn't even have to be a troll, on average people who don't like your story for whatever reason will give you the lowest score, people that do like your story will give you the highest.
Any other score is often people who want to take the time to nuance their scoring, they're in the minority by the way.
So yea, try and look at 1 stars without a review as a simple dislike and in the same way you look at 5 stars without a review.

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
I have joined SH recently and got my first 1 star today. There is just the 1 star, no comments or reasons given. Is this normal?
Just something that needs to be ignored, and happens to everyone or is it just me?

P.S. So far, I found the community here really great, so was a bit surprised.

Story - Shadow
Link - https://www.scribblehub.com/series/161242/shadow/

Looks like it was removed since you only have 5 star ratings.

Curious though, have you considered spreading your releases out to maybe a chapter a day or a chapter every few days? I'm not sure how your release system is, but you may garner more fans and views by spreading-out the story over-time. Just my thoughts.

fullbios

There are always people like that here. I suddenly got a one-star as well! (Should have at least left me a two-star hahahaha) Many people also get five-stars randomly so don't worry about it! Keep writing and ignore them reviewers~

Looks like it was removed since you only have 5 star ratings.

Curious though, have you considered spreading your releases out to maybe a chapter a day or a chapter every few days? I'm not sure how your release system is, but you may garner more fans and views by spreading-out the story over-time. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the advice, since my chapter was already out for the first 74 chapters on Patreon and other places, therefore, I had 3 releases a day. Now I have 1 chapt/day release rate.