Groundbreaking stories in literature, video games, and TV (Remembering Akira Toriyama.)

Jemini

-Introductions and defining terms

Hello everyone. I was watching a recent video that commented on Akira Toriyama's unfortunate passing, and it got me thinking about this subject. Nobody would dispute, his franchise, Dragonball, was undoubtedly a groundbreaking piece of media.

For the purpose of this... I am not certain whether to call it an essay or just me getting my thoughts out, but for the purpose of this presentation, when I use the term "groundbreaking," I am referring to the first shovel of dirt removed from a plot of land as one is beginning a massive project. This is not to be confused with "earth-shattering," a phrase referring to a massive upheaval of earth all at once that is a giant spectacle, but I had to clarify this because the terms are often conflated these days.

However, in terms of media, even the term "grounbreaking" doesn't quite seem to be as adherent to the analogy. If we used the definition of the literal thing the term referred to, then Final Fantasy 1 would be the "groundbreaking" game of the franchise. However, in the west, it is actually FF7 that gets the honor of that position as it is the one that brought the franchise to the attention of western audiences. As such, something of a merger of the definitions is appropriate in media as it does need to make a certain level of impact to qualify.

-Preamble and observations

Now that I have gotten all the definition stuff out of the way, the reason I was talking about this is because I actually needed to come to grips with the DragonBall series a little bit in the wake of Akira Toriyama's passing. There are many videos these days talking about him and the DragonBall franchise these days, and how it introduced Western audiences to anime at scale.

All of these are statements that nobody can argue with. They are just indisputable truths. I even remember watching Dragon Ball Z myself a lot as a kid before I even knew what the term "anime" meant. To me, it was just the cartoons that were on Toonami. I watched the entire run up through the Cell Saga, never missing an episode. It was part of my childhood.

At the same time, I compare it to some of the things that are out today and I am the type who can take the nostalgia goggles off and see that it just doesn't hold up to today's standards. The pacing is atrocious, and the action scenes are extremely samy. The story is rather shallow, it is all almost entirely in service of either facilitating more fights or more training arcs.

But, while all these criticisms are true if compared to the stuff we have today, which does a better job in all of those areas, none of the things we have today would even exist if Toriyama had not bravely broken ground on the subject. He had such a profound effect on the shonen manga/anime genre that he might as well be described as the father of the entire genre. There really is nothing else you can say about it. It was simply groundbreaking. The first to go in and spread this new genre. This new way of writing. Yes, it did have it's flaws. Yes, we do have stuff that is better written today. But the only reason these newer stories have reached such a high quality is because they are standing on the shoulders of the giant that was Akira Toriyama. Their works, their stories, they would not even exist if it wasn't for Toriyama breaking that ground.

And, when I began looking at it in that perspective, I began realizing the same can be said of a great many other media that are also groundbreaking for their own genres or premises.

Sword Art Online is a very harshly criticized story for all the things it does wrong. It was also not the first "trapped in an MMO VR full-dive RPG" story. That honor goes to .hack//sign. However, it was the one that broke through and gained recognition, spreading the genre concept to many audiences around the world, and is the reason why the concept has managed to develop, and eventually start creating writers who could do more to make the concept of a full-dive MMO truly interesting. We would not have a gem like Shangri-la frontier if Sword Art Online was never written.

The previously mentioned FF7 popularized JRPGs in the west. That game had it's own problems, but regardless it is still fondly remembered by many people who grew up in the 90s.

And then, we also have to give acknowledgement to the GOAT himself. JRR Tolkein. His stories get very overly verbose in their descriptions of details. He goes so overboard he actually spends two whole pages just describing the leaves on the ground in alliterative detail. It is atrocious how much he gets bogged down in such details. But, he wrote such a deep and imaginative world and absolutely nobody can deny that he shook up and forever changed the entire fantasy genre forever. His works had such a profound effect that there is actually a very clear demarkation between fantasy written before Tolkein and fantasy written after Tolkein.

The more I look into the groundbreaking media of their respective genres, the more I find that this is a pattern. Yes, they have their flaws. They are flaws that make it very easy for anyone who knows the work properly to criticize them over. But, what they all share in common is that the author has the courage to do something different. Something big that will shake things up. And then, the pour their entire heart and soul into it, holding nothing back.

Tolkein made his own language. This was his passion and his love, and he wanted to give this created language to the world. So, he created LOTR as a vehicle by which to put out his work.

Toriyama was so dedicated to the craft of manga that he created 2 entire projects that re-defined the entire manga industry (Dr. Slump and Dragonball), and even influenced the world of JRPGs with his help in the design of the original Dragonquest and later Chrono Trigger.

Reki Kawahara (SAO author,) while he may have not known the gaming industry well enough to create a fictional game that anyone in the real world would ever want to play, nobody could say he wasn't passionate. In fact, one could even say it was his ignorance that allowed him to so boldly charge into the things that interested him and pathed the way for later stories to follow the same path and improve upon his model.

-Thesis

And so, given all I have seen about the truly groundbreaking works out there, I have noticed this pattern. Being influential and being the best technically written story of all time are not things that seem to necessarily go hand-in-hand. For a technically well-written story, you need to really know your genre well and everything needs to be very well researched. For that, you can only work within what already exists.

The truly ground-breaking works are those that are created by the true pioneers. The ones who are not seeking to create something that is the best within an existing genre. They are the people who decide to make their own genre, the ones who blaze a path where no path has previously existed.

You would not blame Lewis and Clark for taking 2 and a half years to get from St. Louis to the West Coast of the United States on the basis that a modern person can make the same trip in a few hours by plane. We wouldn't even know where the West Coast of the US was if they hadn't taken that trip. That is what a pioneer is.

The pioneers of the industry are the ones who are discovering the techniques. They do not have to be the best, only good enough, but just because they are only "good enough" does not make their accomplishment any less impressive. The sheer overwhelming level of brilliance needed to create an entire genre from whole-cloth is nothing to scoff at.

Of course later works in the same genre are going to be better. They are better because everyone looks back to these pioneers and tries to improve upon the example they set. It is a natural consequence. But those who are later improving upon the already proven model have it comparatively easy to the ones who blazed the trail in the first place, so the later works being better do in no way detract from those great pioneers.

And, they are rewarded for their efforts. Another thing about these ground-breaking forms of media are that they are remembered. They are not remembered just out of nostalgia either. These new and amazing sensations that shake up the industry are spread far and wide, and are known by people everywhere. Dragon Ball Z is a story known pretty much the world over, and despite it's flaws it had a profound impact on the culture. It was a formative part of many childhoods in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Compare this to Ascendance of a Bookworm. AoaB is likely one of the most technically well written and thoroughly well plotted pieces of long-form literature I have ever encountered in my life. Tolkein's LOTR is likely the only other thing in all of history that had the same amount of sheer effort put into it, but unlike LOTR, AoaB is a book series that is projected to be at least 33 books long. It is absolutely ridiculous how in-depth that series is. However, it was a series that followed a trend. To most, it was just another entry into the Isekai genre. One of a long line of similar entries. As such, while it may be the best on a technical level, it does not gain the same prominence and attention that a true pioneer of a new industry would have gotten.

-Conclusions

So, in conclusion, in recognizing what truly made Akira Toriyama great, I think we can all also learn a great many lessons from him in the value of charting your own path. As a pioneer, he was one of the greatest in all of fictional media.

Tolkein was a pioneer for high-fantasy, and gave us a true solid alternative to the portal fantasy genre (otherwise just called "fantasy" before Tolkein.) But, Tolkein only revolutionized entertainment media once. Akira Toriyama did it twice, with two different revolutionary manga of his own, he also contributed to the creation of the JRPG genre. And, while he did not have a direct hand in it, his Dragon Ball Z series had a profound influence on the fighting game genre.

There is great value in being a pioneer, and Akira Toriyama was one of the best. If we limit the scope to only entertainment media, we could even say he is a firm contender with Tolkein for the position of the very best that there ever was.

It is only a shame that his true worth and value is something we are only looking at now after he has sadly passed away. It is easy to take for granted the talents of our time. We all knew that he had an influence, but it was hard to appreciate the sheer weight of exactly how influential he really was until the world started remembering him in his passing, started really looking into the sheer breadth and scope of his works and his impact.

He is truly someone we lost way too soon, but there is a great deal we can all learn from him.

RIP Akira Toriyama.

Last edited:

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
While both Akira Toriyama and J.R.R. Tolkien have undoubtedly made significant contributions to their respective genres, it's important to recognize that their works are fundamentally different and not directly comparable. Toriyama's impact on the anime and manga industry, particularly with 'Dragon Ball,' revolutionized shonen manga and influenced countless creators worldwide. On the other hand, Tolkien's contributions to high fantasy literature, such as 'The Lord of the Rings,' established an entire genre and set the standard for world-building and storytelling in fantasy literature. While both are pioneers in their own right, their legacies reside in different realms of entertainment media.

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
Bro, what...

Akira Toriyama and J.R.R. Tolkien are both influential figures in their respective fields, but they are known for their work in very different genres and styles.

Akira Toriyama is a Japanese manga artist and character designer, best known for creating the immensely popular manga series "Dragon Ball." His work is characterized by its dynamic action scenes, memorable characters like Goku and Vegeta, and the use of humor and adventure elements within the storytelling.

On the other hand, J.R.R. Tolkien was an English writer, poet, philologist, and university professor, renowned for his high-fantasy works such as "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Tolkien's writing style is known for its rich world-building, intricate languages (such as Elvish), and epic quests that explore themes of heroism, friendship, and the battle between good and evil.

While both Toriyama and Tolkien have left a significant impact on their respective mediums and have garnered massive fan followings worldwide, their approaches to storytelling, themes, and artistic styles are distinct and cater to different audiences.

Jemini

While both Akira Toriyama and J.R.R. Tolkien have undoubtedly made significant contributions to their respective genres, it's important to recognize that their works are fundamentally different and not directly comparable. Toriyama's impact on the anime and manga industry, particularly with 'Dragon Ball,' revolutionized shonen manga and influenced countless creators worldwide. On the other hand, Tolkien's contributions to high fantasy literature, such as 'The Lord of the Rings,' established an entire genre and set the standard for world-building and storytelling in fantasy literature. While both are pioneers in their own right, their legacies reside in different realms of entertainment media.

Ok, I will concede the apples and oranges point somewhat, but if you're comparing based on scale, Toriyama did the same as you're acredditing Tolkein with, twice. Toriyama did the exact same thing for the Shonen genre that Tolkein did with the high fantasy genre. (The entire thesis here was that it was the ones who trailblaze the new genres or sub-genres that have the most impact. Also, for the record, Tolkein did not create the fantasy genre. He diverged the fantasy genre and established the 'high-fantasy' variant on the genre, pulling away from the previous portal-fantasy that was the genre standard. I covered this above, but I felt it needed re-itterating since you're showing signs here you likely skimmed over other sections of the OP.)

But, at any rate, I will grant you this. I suppose if you're elevating the standard to the completely revolutionizing level, we'll have to back Akira Toriyama off from twice to 1.5 times, but still...

Last edited:

SailusGebel

Also, I'm not familiar with Akira Toriyama or DB. But LoTR and Tolkien were relatively unknown before the movies. I would argue Peter Jackson had more of an impact, since without him, Tolkien's books would still be a niche thing. Even after the trilogy came out, a lot of people didn't know about Hobbit or Silmarillion.

Jemini

Also, I'm not familiar with Akira Toriyama or DB. But LoTR and Tolkien were relatively unknown before the movies. I would argue Peter Jackson had more of an impact, since without him, Tolkien's books would still be a niche thing. Even after the trilogy came out, a lot of people didn't know about Hobbit or Silmarillion.

... No, dude, I think you're just not very well connected with the literary world.

But... well... even if I grant you the normie perspective argument on this one, LoTR was the key source of inspiration and reference for the early development of D&D, which in turn wound up influencing the entirety of fantasy from that moment onward. So, whether it's known by poorly read normies or not, it still revolutionized the entire genre. That's an impact.

SailusGebel

... No, dude, I think you're just not very well connected with the literary world.

But... well... even if I grant you the normie perspective argument on this one, LoTR was the key source of inspiration and reference for the early development of D&D, which in turn wound up influencing the entirety of fantasy from that moment onward. So, whether it's known by poorly read normies or not, it still revolutionized the entire genre. That's an impact.
Yes. D&D was and still is an even more niche thing.

Alski

Also, I'm not familiar with Akira Toriyama or DB. But LoTR and Tolkien were relatively unknown before the movies. I would argue Peter Jackson had more of an impact, since without him, Tolkien's books would still bet a niche thing. Even after the trilogy came out, a lot of people didn't know about Hobbit or Silmarillion.
The LoTR & The Hobbit were 2 of the best selling books of the 20th century. Being 'well known' before the internet was wide spread and being well known today are orders of magnitude different.

SailusGebel

The LoTR & The Hobbit were 2 of the best selling books of the 20th century. Being 'well known' before the internet was wide spread and being well known today are orders of magnitude different.
Did these books get their status after the movies or before? This is not a sarcastic reply, but a genuine question. Harry Potter and Philosopher's stone sold 100+ million copies, but I doubt they were sold BEFORE the movies. Same with LoTR.

Wikipedia tells us the following. Publishers Weekly's report in December 2001 on cumulative sales of children's fiction placed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 19th among hardbacks (over 5 million copies) and 7th among paperbacks (over 6.6 million copies)

However, it's important to note. The film opened on 16 November in the United States, Canada, and Taiwan as well as officially in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Jemini

Technically, shounen is a demographic, not a genre.
It's both, actually. When trying to appeal to a certain demographic, you will write in a manner that is different from those geared toward other demographics. This is especially the case in Japanese fiction.

Seinen, Shonen, Josei, and Shojo are all demographic-genre tags, and they are all handled very differently in terms of everything to do with how they are written and approached.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Did these books get their status after the movies or before? This is not a sarcastic reply, but a genuine question. Harry Potter and Philosopher's stone sold 100+ million copies, but I doubt they were sold BEFORE the movies. Same with LoTR.

Wikipedia tells us the following. Publishers Weekly's report in December 2001 on cumulative sales of children's fiction placed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 19th among hardbacks (over 5 million copies) and 7th among paperbacks (over 6.6 million copies)

However, it's important to note. The film opened on 16 November in the United States, Canada, and Taiwan as well as officially in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
He was saying for 20th century. For 21st I don't think anything can hold a candle to Harry Potter.

The Harry Potter books came at a perfect time, when they first came pit most people's internet couldn't handle video and streaming didn't exist. So video games, movie rentals and reading were primary forms of on demand media consumption. I don't think another book will ever have the same level of success, both physical and digital.

HP was popular before the movies, but the movies took it to a new level. Since the series was still releasing when the movies started it turned a lot of people into readers. Like reading a web novel to completion after you finish an anime.

Lotr popularity was big for the 20th century but it wasn't as explosive as Harry Potter, and was spread out over a period of decades.

SailusGebel

He was saying for 20th century. For 21st I don't think anything can hold a candle to Harry Potter.

The Harry Potter books came at a perfect time, when they first came pit most people's internet couldn't handle video and streaming didn't exist. So video games, movie rentals and reading were primary forms of on demand media consumption. I don't think another book will ever have the same level of success, both physical and digital.

HP was popular before the movies, but the movies took it to a new level. Since the series was still releasing when the movies started it turned a lot of people into readers. Like reading a web novel to completion after you finish an anime.

Lotr popularity was big for the 20th century but it wasn't as explosive as Harry Potter, and was spread out over a period of decades.
First of all, I included numbers from wiki. Not the best source, but I'm not willing to spend more time on this. HP books were not AS popular. Maybe I have an unreasonable standard for books, but it is what it is. Roughly 15 mills after an unbelievably successful and popular movie came out. Now, if we were talking 15 mills before the movie, I would concede on this one, and say it was immensely popular.

Second. I used this as an example of how a movie can bolster the sales. It was 15 mills after the movie that just came out, and now it's 100+ mills of sold copies. That's why I asked for the same numbers for LoTR. How much was sold before the movie, and after. I made a quick google search, and looked through wiki briefly, but either I missed it, or there was no info like this.

Third. LoTR was a niche thing, since fantasy was a niche thing. I'm not as old, so I can't give my take on this. I can only repeat after each and every older person I've listened to. All of them say that fantasy has been a niche thing. Sure, Tolkien revolutionized or created a new genre, and inspired a plethora of creators; be it manga artists, game developers, or writers. Yet all of it was niche, nerd things that were looked down upon. I heard this take from multiple people, not personally though.

Fourth. Unless I get numbers that prove me wrong, I will think that Tolkien made a new genre, or revolutionized the old one. Yet it was Peter Jackson who made it mainstream and popular.

OP writes. There are many videos these days talking about him and the DragonBall franchise these days, and how it introduced Western audiences to anime at scale.
All of these are statements that nobody can argue with.

In my opinon, as long as I don't get numbers I ask for, it was Peter Jackson who introduced worldwide audience to fantasy at scale, not Tolkien.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Funny that you mention video games, because Toriyama was involved in quite a few iconic video games in the 90s.

For example, Chrono Trigger sold 3.5 million copies. Toriyama's art style is all over that.

While Harry potter book 1 has sold more (the first one came out in 1998) It still ranks up there. How good have harry potter games been? That might be a better comparison.

Zinless

How do I
Funny that you mention video games, because Toriyama was involved in quite a few iconic video games in the 90s.

For example, Chrono Trigger sold 3.5 million copies. Toriyama's art style is all over that.

While Harry potter book 1 has sold more (the first one came out in 1998) It still ranks up there. How good have harry potter games been? That might be a better comparison.
Dragon Quest would fit better as an example. That thing was so big in Japan that companies had day-offs when a new game was released so their employees could buy them.

Really hope Square already got some art from Akira Toriyama for DQ12 before his passing, cause I seriously can't imagine a Dragon Quest without his art style.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
-Introductions and defining terms

Hello everyone. I was watching a recent video that commented on Akira Toriyama's unfortunate passing, and it got me thinking about this subject. Nobody would dispute, his franchise, Dragonball, was undoubtedly a groundbreaking piece of media.

For the purpose of this... I am not certain whether to call it an essay or just me getting my thoughts out, but for the purpose of this presentation, when I use the term "groundbreaking," I am referring to the first shovel of dirt removed from a plot of land as one is beginning a massive project. This is not to be confused with "earth-shattering," a phrase referring to a massive upheaval of earth all at once that is a giant spectacle, but I had to clarify this because the terms are often conflated these days.

However, in terms of media, even the term "grounbreaking" doesn't quite seem to be as adherent to the analogy. If we used the definition of the literal thing the term referred to, then Final Fantasy 1 would be the "groundbreaking" game of the franchise. However, in the west, it is actually FF7 that gets the honor of that position as it is the one that brought the franchise to the attention of western audiences. As such, something of a merger of the definitions is appropriate in media as it does need to make a certain level of impact to qualify.

-Preamble and observations

Now that I have gotten all the definition stuff out of the way, the reason I was talking about this is because I actually needed to come to grips with the DragonBall series a little bit in the wake of Akira Toriyama's passing. There are many videos these days talking about him and the DragonBall franchise these days, and how it introduced Western audiences to anime at scale.

All of these are statements that nobody can argue with. They are just indisputable truths. I even remember watching Dragon Ball Z myself a lot as a kid before I even knew what the term "anime" meant. To me, it was just the cartoons that were on Toonami. I watched the entire run up through the Cell Saga, never missing an episode. It was part of my childhood.

At the same time, I compare it to some of the things that are out today and I am the type who can take the nostalgia goggles off and see that it just doesn't hold up to today's standards. The pacing is atrocious, and the action scenes are extremely samy. The story is rather shallow, it is all almost entirely in service of either facilitating more fights or more training arcs.

But, while all these criticisms are true if compared to the stuff we have today, which does a better job in all of those areas, none of the things we have today would even exist if Toriyama had not bravely broken ground on the subject. He had such a profound effect on the shonen manga/anime genre that he might as well be described as the father of the entire genre. There really is nothing else you can say about it. It was simply groundbreaking. The first to go in and spread this new genre. This new way of writing. Yes, it did have it's flaws. Yes, we do have stuff that is better written today. But the only reason these newer stories have reached such a high quality is because they are standing on the shoulders of the giant that was Akira Toriyama. Their works, their stories, they would not even exist if it wasn't for Toriyama breaking that ground.

And, when I began looking at it in that perspective, I began realizing the same can be said of a great many other media that are also groundbreaking for their own genres or premises.

Sword Art Online is a very harshly criticized story for all the things it does wrong. It was also not the first "trapped in an MMO VR full-dive RPG" story. That honor goes to .hack//sign. However, it was the one that broke through and gained recognition, spreading the genre concept to many audiences around the world, and is the reason why the concept has managed to develop, and eventually start creating writers who could do more to make the concept of a full-dive MMO truly interesting. We would not have a gem like Shangri-la frontier if Sword Art Online was never written.

The previously mentioned FF7 popularized JRPGs in the west. That game had it's own problems, but regardless it is still fondly remembered by many people who grew up in the 90s.

And then, we also have to give acknowledgement to the GOAT himself. JRR Tolkein. His stories get very overly verbose in their descriptions of details. He goes so overboard he actually spends two whole pages just describing the leaves on the ground in alliterative detail. It is atrocious how much he gets bogged down in such details. But, he wrote such a deep and imaginative world and absolutely nobody can deny that he shook up and forever changed the entire fantasy genre forever. His works had such a profound effect that there is actually a very clear demarkation between fantasy written before Tolkein and fantasy written after Tolkein.

The more I look into the groundbreaking media of their respective genres, the more I find that this is a pattern. Yes, they have their flaws. They are flaws that make it very easy for anyone who knows the work properly to criticize them over. But, what they all share in common is that the author has the courage to do something different. Something big that will shake things up. And then, the pour their entire heart and soul into it, holding nothing back.

Tolkein made his own language. This was his passion and his love, and he wanted to give this created language to the world. So, he created LOTR as a vehicle by which to put out his work.

Toriyama was so dedicated to the craft of manga that he created 2 entire projects that re-defined the entire manga industry (Dr. Slump and Dragonball), and even influenced the world of JRPGs with his help in the design of the original Dragonquest and later Chrono Trigger.

Reki Kawahara (SAO author,) while he may have not known the gaming industry well enough to create a fictional game that anyone in the real world would ever want to play, nobody could say he wasn't passionate. In fact, one could even say it was his ignorance that allowed him to so boldly charge into the things that interested him and pathed the way for later stories to follow the same path and improve upon his model.

-Thesis

And so, given all I have seen about the truly groundbreaking works out there, I have noticed this pattern. Being influential and being the best technically written story of all time are not things that seem to necessarily go hand-in-hand. For a technically well-written story, you need to really know your genre well and everything needs to be very well researched. For that, you can only work within what already exists.

The truly ground-breaking works are those that are created by the true pioneers. The ones who are not seeking to create something that is the best within an existing genre. They are the people who decide to make their own genre, the ones who blaze a path where no path has previously existed.

You would not blame Lewis and Clark for taking 2 and a half years to get from St. Louis to the West Coast of the United States on the basis that a modern person can make the same trip in a few hours by plane. We wouldn't even know where the West Coast of the US was if they hadn't taken that trip. That is what a pioneer is.

The pioneers of the industry are the ones who are discovering the techniques. They do not have to be the best, only good enough, but just because they are only "good enough" does not make their accomplishment any less impressive. The sheer overwhelming level of brilliance needed to create an entire genre from whole-cloth is nothing to scoff at.

Of course later works in the same genre are going to be better. They are better because everyone looks back to these pioneers and tries to improve upon the example they set. It is a natural consequence. But those who are later improving upon the already proven model have it comparatively easy to the ones who blazed the trail in the first place, so the later works being better do in no way detract from those great pioneers.

And, they are rewarded for their efforts. Another thing about these ground-breaking forms of media are that they are remembered. They are not remembered just out of nostalgia either. These new and amazing sensations that shake up the industry are spread far and wide, and are known by people everywhere. Dragon Ball Z is a story known pretty much the world over, and despite it's flaws it had a profound impact on the culture. It was a formative part of many childhoods in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Compare this to Ascendance of a Bookworm. AoaB is likely one of the most technically well written and thoroughly well plotted pieces of long-form literature I have ever encountered in my life. Tolkein's LOTR is likely the only other thing in all of history that had the same amount of sheer effort put into it, but unlike LOTR, AoaB is a book series that is projected to be at least 33 books long. It is absolutely ridiculous how in-depth that series is. However, it was a series that followed a trend. To most, it was just another entry into the Isekai genre. One of a long line of similar entries. As such, while it may be the best on a technical level, it does not gain the same prominence and attention that a true pioneer of a new industry would have gotten.

-Conclusions

So, in conclusion, in recognizing what truly made Akira Toriyama great, I think we can all also learn a great many lessons from him in the value of charting your own path. As a pioneer, he was one of the greatest in all of fictional media.

Tolkein was a pioneer for high-fantasy, and gave us a true solid alternative to the portal fantasy genre (otherwise just called "fantasy" before Tolkein.) But, Tolkein only revolutionized entertainment media once. Akira Toriyama did it twice, with two different revolutionary manga of his own, he also contributed to the creation of the JRPG genre. And, while he did not have a direct hand in it, his Dragon Ball Z series had a profound influence on the fighting game genre.

There is great value in being a pioneer, and Akira Toriyama was one of the best. If we limit the scope to only entertainment media, we could even say he is a firm contender with Tolkein for the position of the very best that there ever was.

It is only a shame that his true worth and value is something we are only looking at now after he has sadly passed away. It is easy to take for granted the talents of our time. We all knew that he had an influence, but it was hard to appreciate the sheer weight of exactly how influential he really was until the world started remembering him in his passing, started really looking into the sheer breadth and scope of his works and his impact.

He is truly someone we lost way too soon, but there is a great deal we can all learn from him.

RIP Akira Toriyama.
Using Reki Kawahara with Akira and Tolkien was not really a good choice there... You could have use Kentaro Miura who have revolutioned the Dark Fantasy instead.
SAO didn't revolution anything, he didn't aspire anything, he was good and was the first anime for an Vrmmorpg in the new era were anime proliferate, that all.

If you want a real influence for the Vrmmorpg genre then use Heesung Nam, the author of The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor who truly inspire a lot of authors to write Vrmmorpg. Or Butterfly Blue with The King Avatar. The only reason SAO can be somehow a reference was because it's a Jap Novel and was adapted easily, he didn't influence a shit.

If you want to go on other genre, in term of cultivation stories, Cocooned Cow with Martial World and Tang Jia San Shao with the series Soul Land revolutioned the genre and was know worlwide and even more in their country.

Well, all that to said that you shouldn't have use Reki Kawahara, there tons of better authors who really made a change than this guy.

Edit: You could even have used Hiromu Arakawa for the inspiration she give to the woman mangaka in the world (And there even older ones who did it before her that you could have use.)

Last edited:

Alski

For Harry Potter its harder to gauge what was movie hype and what was genuine sales growth, but i did find a first week/first year sales graph that shows a rapid growth for each new book even before the movie was announced.

1711061139651.png

You may notice from that graph that the first book isn't even on there (released '97) that's because the first printing of the book was so tiny it was hardly worth mentioning. They printed 500 copies in the UK in '97 and a following 50k in the US in '98.

The Hobbit (and LoTR by extension) were extremely big in the 60's & 70's with American hippy culture (or counterculture as some call it). Some of the biggest bands at the time even made songs references about it, Misty Mountain Hop, Battle of Evermore, and Ramble On by Led Zeppelin, The Wizard by Black Sabbath ect. Getting accurate data for that time and before isn't going to happen, and even if we did have sales data it wouldn't include all the bootleg copies that were floating around amongst that group.

If you want a real influence for the Vrmmorpg genre then use Heesung Nam, the author of The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor who truly inspire a lot of authors to write Vrmmorpg. Or Butterfly Blue with The King Avatar. The only reason SAO can be somehow a reference was because it's a Jap Novel and was adapted easily, he didn't influence a shit.
Fun fact: RoyalRoad started out as a translation site for The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor.

Last edited: