Harpies in fantasy novels

OP1000

Hello!!!!
What are the most common characteristics/personality traits that are used to describe harpies in fantasy novels?

Greyman

Horny flying rapist airhead nightmare of foot fetishist

Auratic

For characterization try emulating Ravens to Cockatiels they have alot of personality but has the discipline of 4 year old.
Or if you have a cat, just think of it as a furry asshole with wings (a.k.a a cat).
But if you want more historically closer harpies, they were the personification of storms and served as messenger for Hades, where they had the job of snatching away children and people's souls. Being entities of the storm they also answer to the call of Zeus (but who really doesn't in greek mythology) and as is usual in the hyperborean lore of the greeks they are born from Oceanid (ocean spirit) and some ancient sea deity which also made them siblings to Iris the messenger goddess. Additionally harpies were also considered the mothers of horses. With horses being born from Zephyros (god of the wind) and a harpy. With all that behind, you can probably bullshit a harpy into pretty much anything you want really.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
As far as personality traits, it's usually bird stuff.

Bird-brained dumb air-heads. Collect and horde shinies. Cute like a pet.

Alternatively, predatory raptors. Aggressive and pushy. You're the pet now.

I've seen them portrayed as trash-birds twice though. An odd coincidence. No bathing, glorying in filth and blood. Vicious and sadistic.

StrongArm

1671204489489.png

Daitengu

I'd like to see Erudite harpies for once. People often think birds are dumb, but they some how manage to act like a three year old even with a peanut to walnut sized brain. Apparently bird brain cells are more compacted compared to mammals. Getting them more out of less space.

At least tengu are known smart asses.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Hello!!!!
What are the most common characteristics/personality traits that are used to describe harpies in fantasy novels?
There perched on a tree on the hill, I saw a strange creature. It was shaped like a bird, yet as tall as a man. The creature’s head was that of an old lady, with the exception of the sharp curved beak that was dripping with red bile. That creature looked at me, with its pitch black eyes full of mischief and hate. The creature made a strange noise.

-Gttriibk- “Son of man, what brings you to this land of mine?”
As the creature spoke

Well that is how I would do it.