Has anyone written a novel that reads more like a comic book?

MadmanRB

I can't say I have, and well, maybe it's time I change that.
After many tries at writing my story, I find myself trying to emulate writers based on the most common suggestions.
My most recent drafts (not shown on this website) have emulated either Tolkien (still a gold standard by some folks) Rowling (despite my distaste for her as a human being) and RJ Barker (the bone ships is a common suggestion on other places I go to for writing advice)
And yet... none still fit.
Perhaps my issue is that instead of turning to other novel writers for inspiration, maybe I should go down a route I am more familiar with:
Comic books.

I know it's a rather odd choice, but since my story has a superhero theme, perhaps I should try to emulate them.
I mean, it's a writing style I am more used to.
After all, one of my favorite writers outside novels was Stan Lee, I was never an avid comic reader, but he used to narrate the numerous Marvel cartoons I grew up on as a kid.
After all, Saturday morning cartoons had a big impact on me, far more than books as a child.
And my goal with my story is to fill my reader with those feelings of eagerly getting up on Saturday mornings to watch Power Rangers.
The thing is, the novel writers I bumped into on the net suggested that the best way to write a novel is to read other novels.
To learn proper novel writing structure and take lessons from what I learned.
And I did, I have done far more reading over the last few months then I have written.
Fact is I have made little progress as for each new novel people recommended I get caught up in it then try to apply it to my own writing.
But all I have done is spin my wheels, in an attempt to both emulate what I read while also trying to come up with my own voice.
It's just not working out, I have read books like the Bone ships and the expanse and other more contemporary works such as John Green and the hunger games.
I feel stuck deep in a mine without an exit.

This is the main reason why maybe I should format my story in a form I am more comfortable with, I have tried so hard to be a "professional" but it just seems like I am making zero progress.
I know in the novel writing world, comics are probably at the bottom of the barrel.
But hey perhaps I can live with that if it makes me happier as a writer.
I think thats my biggest issue, my writing is no longer fun.
I want to create something more casual and fun, this "professionalism" approach has made my writing dry and stale.

Mr.Grey-Cat

writing my story, based on the most common suggestions, odd choice
I feel that your problem is that you are looking at the wrong writers and trying to emulate novels completely different from how your story is meant to be. the problem is not professional or not, the problem is suitable or not.

So don't get hung up on emulating giant of the wrong field. Because what you are trying to write, in my opinion, is a fun and entertaining web novel, that can share your feeling with your reader, while also being fun to write.

and if you really want to learn from someone and something, I suggest reading more, But to read web novels this time, and see if some author's style is useful for you, or at least if it's suitable to what you like.

Anyway, as I said, try web novels, they are short, fun, and varied, so you can find a lot of styles, techniques, and stuff to help you in writing. And Oh, if you are lost and don't have anything to read, I would suggest either reading my novel and some others on Scribblehub, or reading some Asian novels on Novelupdates. Hopefully, you will find something helpful or to your liking.

And just saying, but in case only reading don't help, I would suggest to just preserve and absentmindedly write, as you get immersed in your own world while writing all of what you see. then, after you are done, read that and edit it, until it seems satisfying or at least good enough. Do that enough and one way or another, you shall start seeing the best way to write, your best way.

BlackKnightX

I can't say I have, and well, maybe it's time I change that.
After many tries at writing my story, I find myself trying to emulate writers based on the most common suggestions.
My most recent drafts (not shown on this website) have emulated either Tolkien (still a gold standard by some folks) Rowling (despite my distaste for her as a human being) and RJ Barker (the bone ships is a common suggestion on other places I go to for writing advice)
And yet... none still fit.
Perhaps my issue is that instead of turning to other novel writers for inspiration, maybe I should go down a route I am more familiar with:
Comic books.

I know it's a rather odd choice, but since my story has a superhero theme, perhaps I should try to emulate them.
I mean, it's a writing style I am more used to.
After all, one of my favorite writers outside novels was Stan Lee, I was never an avid comic reader, but he used to narrate the numerous Marvel cartoons I grew up on as a kid.
After all, Saturday morning cartoons had a big impact on me, far more than books as a child.
And my goal with my story is to fill my reader with those feelings of eagerly getting up on Saturday mornings to watch Power Rangers.
The thing is, the novel writers I bumped into on the net suggested that the best way to write a novel is to read other novels.
To learn proper novel writing structure and take lessons from what I learned.
And I did, I have done far more reading over the last few months then I have written.
Fact is I have made little progress as for each new novel people recommended I get caught up in it then try to apply it to my own writing.
But all I have done is spin my wheels, in an attempt to both emulate what I read while also trying to come up with my own voice.
It's just not working out, I have read books like the Bone ships and the expanse and other more contemporary works such as John Green and the hunger games.
I feel stuck deep in a mine without an exit.

This is the main reason why maybe I should format my story in a form I am more comfortable with, I have tried so hard to be a "professional" but it just seems like I am making zero progress.
I know in the novel writing world, comics are probably at the bottom of the barrel.
But hey perhaps I can live with that if it makes me happier as a writer.
I think thats my biggest issue, my writing is no longer fun.
I want to create something more casual and fun, this "professionalism" approach has made my writing dry and stale.
Oh, you have no idea. Most light novels are read like manga (or comics, if that’s what you wanna call it). It’s the manga in prose form decided to be read fast—having shorter length than the traditional novels, and are written in a way that keeps things constantly moving (that’s why you’ll find more action and dialogue and less descriptions and introspection in light novels).

If you wanna write with the comic style, then do so. You won’t actually be the first as tons of writers already write in such a style.

Most popular series in webnovel are also read like comic—for me it’s an anime since I always have that movie screen in my mind.

You might not have noticed this judging by how you‘ve mentioned the famous traditional novel’s writers—Tolkien, JK Rowling, etc. The writing style of English traditional novels and light novels are completely different. Like I said, it’s written in a way that read like manga. A lot of novels on this site are also written like one, since most people here seem to be inspired by animes, mangas, and light novels.

If you wanna try writing in this style, then I suggest reading some light novels. (I suggest buying the official translation rather than reading free translation on the internet if you mind the language. The free translation can range from decent and readable to abysmal. But if you don’t mind that, then good luck on your endeavors.)

Last edited:

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I see no issue with following a simpler plot and action/imaginary orientated novel instead of dry prose. Didn't a lot of people realize they can't draw for shit and wrote down their story as a novel instead? I count myself into this category too

EternalSunset0

Didn't a lot of people realize they can't draw for shit and wrote down their story as a novel instead? I count myself into this category too
:blob_hide:

Although I'm trying to work on my art skills haha

So what if they are, though? I agree with tiaf. There's absolutely no need to put out a Tolkien-tier work every time or look for affirmation from the "best in prose" writers. Find the market or audience who'll be comfortable with your work because it is them who will know how to appreciate your work, and it is their opinions that matter.

It's something similar to the logic of "why let a critic who has a bias for heavy, intricate drama/dialogue and has a bias against action flicks watch and critique something like... an MCU movie or a Monsterverse film?"

longer

Balls
why let a critic who has a bias for heavy, intricate drama/dialogue and has a bias against action flicks watch and critique something like... an MCU movie or a Monsterverse film
"It’s huge and loud and impressive but it can also be humorless and bleak" - Steve Pond's review of Dune.

Truly a tragedy that Dune doesn't have any quirky Marvel one liners.

I think Paul should have said "that's gotta hurt" after hearing Duncan get cut down by the Sardaukar.

tiaf

:blob_hide:

Although I'm trying to work on my art skills haha

So what if they are, though? I agree with tiaf. There's absolutely no need to put out a Tolkien-tier work every time or look for affirmation from the "best in prose" writers. Find the market or audience who'll be comfortable with your work because it is them who will know how to appreciate your work, and it is their opinions that matter.

It's something similar to the logic of "why let a critic who has a bias for heavy, intricate drama/dialogue and has a bias against action flicks watch and critique something like... an MCU movie or a Monsterverse film?"
drawing a comic is a full-time job unless you want to spend years on it :blob_whistle_two: or have a studio with many people, but money :sweating_profusely:

Imagine a slapstick comedy in Tolkien-style...

A superhero shouldn't focus on heavy prose. What you wanna see is clearly the hero growing while overcoming obstacles with his nakama! Joke aside, don't bore yourself while writing your novel.

MadmanRB

Yeah, and thus is a key problem with my story, it's definitely more suited for a comic book yet with me having zero art skills forces me to a medium without visual representation.
My stick figures are so crooked, even the Nazi Swastika would tell them they should straighten up.
Not to mention my hands shake more than a jello mold near the San Andreas Fault line during a 10.9 Earthquake.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
If you find an artist to work with, you could make something fantastic together. DeviantArt is a good place to look.

tiaf

Yeah, and thus is a key problem with my story, it's definitely more suited for a comic book yet with me having zero art skills forces me to a medium without visual representation.
My stick figures are so crooked, even the Nazi Swastika tells them they should straighten up.
Not to mention my hands shake more than a jello mold near the San Andreas Fault line during a 10.9 Earthquake.
Depends :blob_hmm_two:

Some manga have a ton of description panels filled with text, otherwise you wouldn’t get the story. Have you ever tried to make a storyboard for a comic? A lot of artists outline their chapter with words instead of jumping in headfirst.

Don’t think about how it’s better suited as a comic, think about it being the more detailed version of the comic. And with more detailed I don’t mean 2pages of describing a flower's color.

Some webnovels have next to no descriptions and still are entertaining. (JP light novels)

On the other hand you have comics that are very confusing because they left out basic information about location, world building, and characters to keep it concisely. For novels it’s done in two sentences ╮ ( ̄ヮ  ̄) ╭

MadmanRB

If you find an artist to work with, you could make something fantastic together. DeviantArt is a good place to look.
Yeah, I already have some artwork for this project and would like to do more.
If my best solution to solve my issues is to turn my story into a picture book or something, I will.
I just know I am not going anywhere by treating this like a traditional novel
Depends :blob_hmm_two:

Some manga have a ton of description panels filled with text, otherwise you wouldn’t get the story. Have you ever tried to make a storyboard for a comic? A lot of artists outline their chapter with words instead of jumping in headfirst.

Don’t think about how it’s better suited as a comic, think about it being the more detailed version of the comic. And with more detailed I don’t mean 2pages of describing a flower's color.

Some webnovels have next to no descriptions and still are entertaining. (JP light novels)

On the other hand you have comics that are very confusing because they left out basic information about location, world building, and characters to keep it concisely. For novels it’s done in two sentences ╮ ( ̄ヮ  ̄) ╭

Well, the good news is that I have a general sense of what I want my world to look like. And I can easily work with artists and give them examples of what I have in my head.
I can still deliver world building via text while still having imagery.

EternalSunset0

I second this. You could also consider settling for insert arts. Those pages that highlight just key moments.

FGCCheckmate

All three of my stories have art for the major characters while Lethal Combo even has art for action scenes.
I try to make it so that the story can be read just fine without looking at the art, but sometimes I do skimp out on the character descriptions because of the images.

InfantryTerminator

Are you talking about writing style or switching to other medium?

Switching to other medium: Creating comics isn't easy. I've been playing around 3D software like Blender, SFM, and GMOD to create artwork. Getting the right pose can be an absolute pain in the ass, not to mention lightning, effect, and background. Way less efficient than writing unless you work in a group.

Writing style: Different mediums doesn't translate into each other well. If you're planing to create pictures and write dialogue under them as normal text, then you'll end up with weird duckling like Romantically Apocalyptic which most likely won't find a place unless it's a masterpiece.

There are countless of ways to write. First person, third person following/omnipotent can serve as different purposes. I choose first person because I can describe things and emotions more easily, while bumping up word count thanks to main character inner thoughts. You need to develop your own writing style by reading different authors and picking up things you like.

Here are some recommendations:
Project Socialize (Wattpad) - More than decent first person and descriptions
Rhodes Island's Psychologist - Arknigts fanfic that manages to pull off omnipotent third person
Future Displacement by Vexitus (Wattpad) - Third person that isn't skin and bones
Any of GrandLeviathan works (Fanfiction.net) - Despite writing mostly fanfic smuts, this guy pulls off descriptions on pair, if not better, with professionals.